Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Fresh level 58 is the best option. Character copy will be abused unless they only allow items that are equip to be transferable no golds. But having 2/3 characters running with AQ40/Naxx items will ruin the progression. Only downside imo with instant lvl 58 is the bots and class imbalance very easy to level class up to 70. I might play TBC but I wont play it if I have to level from 1. Classic level content was still a chore during TBC it wasn't until Wotlk we could blaze through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    T

I don’t need to respond to anything else in this post if you start it off with believing mats will get horded in tbc. You proven you are completely clueless as to why and what gets horded.

Your ignorance couldn’t be any higher
    Pot calling the kettle black, trying to play smartman economist on the internet.

"I don't need to respond because I know I'm wrong and believe that wiping everything will be a miracle fix and magically solve every current and future issue".

Nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I’ve said before this would be so dumb and I’m thankful blizzard won’t do it. The majority of vanilla fans are going to move to TBC. in fact I bet less than 10% of the population stay. So even if they didn’t let us transfer they’d just have the people quit the game or roll fresh on TBC realms cause it’s fresh and new.

In the end I’m guessing the rumor will be what happens, they’ll end up giving us the option to transfer our character to a vanilla only realm or stay on our realm as it progresses to TBC.

I also fully believe they will open up one or two new TBC servers for fresh rerollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootynuzzler View Post
    New players should start off as level 1, as has been WoW's tradition for going on 16 years now. Don't forget that when TBC launched, leveling from 1-58 was changed to be a lot faster.

Character copy is the best way to handle the transition from Classic to TBC. It would be a slap in the face to the majority of Classic players with interest in TBC if they lost their characters, and I guarantee most people would have no interest in starting over if it meant losing their hard earned gold, materials, gear, fast mount, etc. And starting off level 58 players with any of those things would not only make no sense, but it would once again be another slap in the face to Classic players who put in the time for those things. TBC will likely be handled very similarly to its original launch, or as close to it as possible. Draenei and Blood Elves will not be starting the game as level 58 and ready to go. They will start from scratch just as they did before. Campaigning for anything different is almost equivalent to asking for barber shops and race changes in Classic. We can all go back and forth about what solution is best, nitpicking each others arguments, and spouting out our opinions of what would be in the "spirit of WoW"... but ultimately it will come down to numbers; subscriptions. Blizzard will not risk losing Classic players interested in TBC because that will be their largest audience. TBC will likely launch with character copies from Classic and subscriptions will rise.
    Your final conclusion is only an opinion as well though. People currently playing Classic and feel some sort of attachment to their current Classic characters are a very small minority of the audience interested in TBC (imo). The large audience is the one that wants to briefly revisit old expansions, which happened exactly with Classic: most people are gone by now. You cannot slap those people either that want to play only TBC content and I can guarantee that it would also be terrible from subscription point of view if people felt unmotivated to start playing TBC due to some people running around with thousands of gold and stacked 60's. Times are different now, back then people didn't care that much.

Imo from subscription point of view it would probably be best to cater for both groups:
    1) Make servers where people can transfer/copy their Classic characters with gold etc. so they don't feel like they lose their progress.
    2) Make servers where people can get instant 58 for the people who want a fresh start or didn't play Classic and are only interested in the TBC part of the game. No transfers into these servers.

This way neither of the groups should feel neglected. I can almost guarantee that the servers running option 2 would be far more popular in the launch, but they would also bleed players way faster than the servers with option 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    I also fully believe they will open up one or two new TBC servers for fresh rerollers.
    I think this is indeed the most sensible way to go. If only servers with character copies are available, a huge audience will be mad (people who didn't play vanilla and are not interested in playing it. I also doubt these people want to give diehard Classic players a headstart just because they farmed gold in Vanilla). If character copies are not available, a huge audience will be mad (people who played vanilla and feel attached to their characters/want to bring their gold they worked for). Only way to make both audiences happy would be to open servers with both options.
    Last edited by facefist; 2020-05-30 at 10:36 PM.

What is the point of keeping a classic version of your character on some obscure server stuck in classic? Be honest, are you ever going to go back and play it for more than 5 mins once it is stuck on a dead server?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Pot calling the kettle black, trying to play smartman economist on the internet.

"I don't need to respond because I know I'm wrong and believe that wiping everything will be a miracle fix and magically solve every current and future issue".

Nice.
    Fine I’ll explain it to you because it seems you aren’t grasping it.

What gets horded in vanilla? Mats for resist flask and black lotus.

Now why do these get horded?

The mats for resist get horded early on, because at the start when things like nature damage or frost damage isn’t a problem. Then when we need them they sell for a higher price because they have a use now.

This doesn’t really CAUSE the price to go up by hording it. People horde it BECAUSE the value will eventually go up.

The only thing that gets horded that effects the economy is black lotus. Do you understand how and why that is? The way it spawns (I’m not explaining that to you, you should know this) makes it EXTREMELY easy to manipulate. You can create a monopoly and drive the prices way high by doing so.

Tbc does not have these features. They just don’t. The flasks you need from the start, and the flasks you need at the end are the same. The materials you need for recipes are basically unlimited. If you need them, you can go get them. No one is holding them hostage. You can horde items all you want in tbc, people are going to be getting them anyway.

The issue with hording and prices going up is nonexistent in tbc. Full stop. End of discussion. The only issue is prices going up because inflation.

Because you didn’t know this, there’s no point in arguing the ‘issues’ with the market in tbc, because you are CLEARLY ignorant to everything involved in this problem

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    What is the point of keeping a classic version of your character on some obscure server stuck in classic? Be honest, are you ever going to go back and play it for more than 5 mins once it is stuck on a dead server?
    There is no point. Nobody will play Classic once TBC is out, except a few fanatics. When those guys are fully equipped with t3 gear, all reps and professions maxed out, what are they going to do? They won't last more than a week before they transfer to the TBC realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    There is no point. Nobody will play Classic once TBC is out, except a few fanatics. When those guys are fully equipped with t3 gear, all reps and professions maxed out, what are they going to do? They won't last more than a week before they transfer to the TBC realms.
    I think there is a small minority that will just forever run around with their full t3. However, many of them will lose interest in the game when people with lesser gear are gone and the server is filled only with their equal in terms or gear/progress. No more pwning noobs and being a big boy with all the gear.

And I am not saying this to bash those people. I've been there myself. In the early days of WoW (through Vanilla and even most of TBC) it just felt so cool being so highly geared that people would constantly come to you, ask for help and just look at your char in awe. Hell, even being a high level in the early Vanilla made people follow you around. But it is a possibility that the lack of lessers will actually make the game less interesting for many diehard Vanilla fans, I can certainly say that 15 years back it was one of the driving forces for me. Obviously it is not anymore as I've grown 15 years older and find other aspects more important.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Cempa;52234352]
    Quote Originally Posted by facefist View Post
    I think Blizzard understands that the motive for most people to play TBC would be the same as it was for Vanilla - to revisit the old content. I think sub numbers will be far greater if they don't force people to level to 60 first in Vanilla to start in equal grounds.

Which means that people should have the option to copy their vanilla character (without being able to bring any items/money) OR to boost one character instantly to 60. There is absolutely no reason to give head start for people who have played Vanilla, when the idea is to let people revisit old content.

And I can almost guarantee that people will NOT be able to bring their gold or comparable from Vanilla. Blizzard wants to draw in the majority - people still playing Vanilla actively when TBC is released will be a small minority compared to how many people wants to play TBC on launch. They won't piss on that majority, you can quote me on this one when they finally release something.
    This is my logic, and this is why I think all servers should be upgraded to BC as if it were an expansion, people can keep their progress and alts, and those that want to continue on classic can transfer to a classic only server. This makes sense to me for several reasons.

There are 23 Classic servers in the EU by my count. If they anticipate most people will play BC then they would need to create at least another 20 new servers for BC otherwise launch is going to be a nightmare if they have any less. This would leave them with 23 pretty dead Vanilla servers with shot economies because although the gold hasn't gone anywhere, nobody is spending it because they are all on BC servers, not to mention demand for items will have fallen off a cliff.
    If they instead created say 8 Brand new Vanilla servers and they allow the Hardcore Vanilla players to transfer to them with all their gold the economies would be much healthier because it would actually be getting spent and items traded and those server populations would be better, filled with people that will actively participate.
    The other thing to consider is that if you force the majority to move to new servers lots of people are going to end up losing names and to me personally, my character names are important to me as I am sure they are to others. People will lose names regardless of who transfers, but if you transfer the minority, there are less people so you you have a higher chance to get the names you want.

Forcing the majority to transfer or move to another server will lead to Vanillas Servers needing to merged or for transfers to happen anyway otherwise Vanilla will lose its community because it will be spread too thin over too many dead servers. Transferring the minority, whether that be Vanilla or BC players makes sense for Blizzard, it means less servers, less server maintenance and less work later to tackle low server populations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    it might play out as copies for everybody AND lvl58 templates for Draenei+BE. this way nobody is left behind.

Kinda agree with the OP, fresh 58+ server is good idea, keep classic classic, if I recall since the itemisation changed in TBC back when it was current content I replaced a few slots with lvl 58 hellfire greens lol, only thing that would be most missed is my currency and maxed out storage space in all fairness.

A certain Private server i won't mention to trigger the mods did it the perfect way and how blizzard should do it.

1. Allow transfers however you can only take 3 characters per account - max 1000g each
    2. If The server releases on say the 30th of a month Allow people to make level 1 characters and boost them to level 58 from say the 14th , This allows them to get their epic mount, some gear, get professions up what ever. ( you cannot make TBC races in this time )
    3. Once the 30th comes around allow people to make level 1 TBC race characters however you cannot boost until you get to level 20 1x XP for people levelling TBC races.
    4. Boosted characters can be done two ways - Start off with Dungeon set ( Dreadmist,,Magister that jazz ) or blizzard could make their own basic starter set that cannot be sold to stop exploiting.

this Keeps people who want to play their Classic mains happy and keep their progression and does not ruin the people who hate classic to come and play TBC with their friends ( A good example is my Partner she cannot stand classic and refused to play it unless there was a TBC server announced as she prefers that over classic )
    Last edited by Crizdog; 2020-05-31 at 12:43 PM.

It should just be character copy and done with. Shouldn’t be any different than if the expansion were go to live normally.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It should just be character copy and done with. Shouldn’t be any different than if the expansion were go to live normally.
    ...and if you don't have a character to copy?

I don't know. If you started playing in TBC you had to level up all the way from level 1 and it wasn't a problem back then. I don't see why it would be a problem now.

You can still be a new player to classic and start a new toon and get to the end-game content in fair amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Then make a new one? Was the case with TBC for new players starting.

You start from scratch, very simple

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    I don't know. If you started playing in TBC you had to level up all the way from level 1 and it wasn't a problem back then. I don't see why it would be a problem now.

You can still be a new player to classic and start a new toon and get to the end-game content in fair amount of time.
    While 1-58/60 are much easier during TBC (more quests and fp), it was still a huge pain in the back side AND you did not have classic servers OR live servers. People have a limited amount of time to game, making them go through the agony of 1-58 will surely just have them either roll on an actual vanilla server or live or not sub at all.

TBC and Wrath are both among the most fun games ever .. EVER! TBC made it so all classes/specs are PvE/PvP viable/strong/wanted.

Let people enjoy TBC with all it has to offer and by allowing for a fresh 58 TBC servers will be full, subs go up for a long time as people play all specs they want.

People have a limited amount of time to game
    An argument that is so damn counterintuitive to the philosophy of Vanilla / TBC.

Simply being served something that presents months of work (for some players) on a platter because of the "i hate Classic but love TBC" attitude is something that should not be supported.

While i've been pretty outspoken of the economical ramifications of an "authentic transition", i'd rather take that than simply having people getting a 58 Pre made despite not having leveled a character on a Classic or even TBC server.
    Back then, Catchup was at least to some degree handled with care, not something that players should necessarily take for granted or expect.

People skipping past the leveling process (despite still being very much part of the game) is something that should not be done.

TBC after its announcement will probably be least 10+ months off, that is more than enough time to level a character on a Classic server even at snail pace.

Fresh servers, no copies or migrated chars to prevent the offset in economy.

and starting at level 1 (or 60) makes alot more sense than 58.