10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Exaggeration from media about how prevalent it is isn't a a good idea to form your opinion from.
    As opposed to the alternative strategy of sitting in Indochina making comments about race relations in America that are based on....

Absolutely nothing, I guess?

Go on then. If black people live just fine in America, you can post the data supporting that.

But you won't, because hun? You're a racist, plain and simple, by virtue of only looking at America through the lens approved by racist Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exaggeration from media about how prevalent it is isn't a a good idea to form your opinion from.
    Then how do you know the majority are fine? Where do you get your information from?

I swear, it's easier to argue with a wall than with right-wingers...
    At least the wall won't counter with bs arguments and literal fake news / talking points.

Edit
    Just as an example
    "The vast majority live just fine."
    What is that even? I can't comprehend. Saying this out loud in a serious manner just shows your lack of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Hi, actual minority here, a mixed afro Latino, I live just fine. I also avoid mostly white areas and live only in diverse areas. But I do face quite a lot of race related issues in mostly white areas so I avoid them. Things like Harassment over just being there. Or random nazis calling me n word. Or random people calling me Juan or javier which isn’t my name. Sometimes hector.

I wouldn’t live just fine in other areas...

Sometimes after initial negative racism once my British accent is heard it becomes different racism... “you’re not like those others”
    I have been in USA for extended periods of time, there is very little racism. My sister lives in westminster, orange county. People in media and people on forums just exaggerate and try to make it out as if they scream loud enough it makes them right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Then how do you know the majority are fine? Where do you get your information from?
    Because I have been to USA? Because my sister lives there?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've posted that video of Jane Elliot twice and still have not gotten a good explanation as to why, if there is not a system of oppression against blacks in America, not a single white person in that audience chooses to stand from any of our resident "Blue Lives Matter" advocates.

Couldn't be because addressing that point might be....uncomfortable, could it?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority live just fine.
    That makes no fucking sense. Obama held the highest office in the US and still has to deal with from 1940s racists bullshit.

And imagine, just imagine, caring about the next man the same way you would hope someone would care for you if you were in their shoes. Mind blowing.

Why not take this as an opportunity to grow and learn instead of pretending to have an enlightened PoV?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been in USA for extended periods of time
    "I have visited the US occasionally and that is why I as a Vietnamese person know better than a person of color about what it is like living as a black man in America, will you please stop talking so I can defend your interests?"

This is a form of racism, just fyi.

Why don't any of the audience stand up in the video, Karen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "I have visited the US occasionally and that is why I as a Vietnamese person know better than a person of color about what it is like living as a black man in America, will you please stop talking so I can defend your interests?"

This is a form of racism, just fyi.

Why don't any of the audience stand up in the video, Karen?
    Paid actors.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

https://twitter.com/ericabuddington/...31249914601472

Maybe this thread will help them.
    If they read it, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been in USA for extended periods of time, there is very little racism. My sister lives in westminster, orange county. People in media and people on forums just exaggerate and try to make it out as if they scream loud enough it makes them right.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I have been to USA? Because my sister lives there?
    A few days ago a woman threatened a black man with the police because she knows how any encounter with the police as a black man can be life altering. But there is no racism in the US?

I have a special place in my heart for people who tell me racism ended a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    A few days ago a woman threatened a black man with the police because she knows how any encounter with the police as a black man can be life altering. But there is no racism in the US?
    I didn't say there is no racism in the US. Do you not read what you quote? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    "Very little racism" is still too much. Yes it isn't a daily occurrence for most but the fact it happens is still racism.

I am a white man who lives in south Georgia and I don't see it too often, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    "Very little racism" is still too much. Yes it isn't a daily occurrence for most but the fact it happens is still racism.

I am a white man who lives in south Georgia and I don't see it too often, but it does happen.
    You won't get rid of all racism, that's just wishful thinking.

I didn't say there is no racism in the US. Do you not read what you quote? xD
    You said there is very little racism.

That woman KNEW that if she just said a black man threatens her life, he will get hurt. "very little racism" my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    You said there is very little racism.

That woman KNEW that if she just said a black man threatens her life, he will get hurt. "very little racism" my ass
    Like I said before, people exaggerate how prevalent it is. This is exaggerated, people act as if it's world ending that some woman did that, as if it's somehow very prevalent but it isn't very prevalent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear the next thing I'm going to hear is 'it's only racism if they hit you with the hard R'.

Like I said before, people exaggerate how prevalent it is. This is exaggerated, people act as if it's world ending that some woman did that, as if it's somehow very prevalent but it isn't very prevalent
    Damn near got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't get rid of all racism, that's just wishful thinking.
    Very true, but these protests aren't about getting rid of all racism. It's about the systemic racism occurring in our law enforcement that has been unpunished for decades. If it were any other form of corruption it would (hopefully) be fixed, but time and again it happens. Often times with video evidence of the incident.

I swear the next thing I'm going to hear is 'it's only racism if they hit you with the hard R'.
    I swear, they would also downplay anti-semitism in the early 30s in Germany.
    Which they actually basically do. The situation in the US over the last few years (since Trump) feels eerily similar to the early 30s in Germany.

I mean, this person is clearly mainlining reactions to his or her smug, willful ignorance. We should all be compassionate and cut off her supply.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    https://twitter.com/ericabuddington/...31249914601472

Maybe this thread will help them.
    If they read it, that is.
    Brief summary:

"This #thread is for those of you struggling to comprehend that the recent murders are just a fraction of racial violence in the United States. We are protesting for #GeorgeFloyd #BreonnaTaylor, #AhmaudArbery AND hundreds of years of oppression."

Mentioned are as follows:

1) The Cincinnati Riots, 1829 - Due to a rapid increase of Black migrants to the city, mobs of 200-300 white rioters attacked Black neighborhoods hoping to push them out of the city.
    2) The Anti-Abolition Riots, NYC, 1834 - Week long riot, put down by military force. Resentment of Black Americans caused rioters to control whole sections of the city while they attacked the homes, businesses, and churches of abolitionist leaders & ransacked black neighborhoods.
    3) The Pennsylvania Hall Fire, 1838- Furious that the hall was being used for abolitionist meetings and speeches given by Black people and women, a mob destroyed the hall.
    4) Christiana Riot, 1851 - Four "fugitive" enslaved persons hid in Christiana, PA. A Maryland mob intent on recapturing them were met by defenders and a fight ensued. The slaveowner died in this fight and the incident polarized the national slavery debate.
    5) NYC Draft Riots, 1863 - The white working class was upset b/c of the Civil War draft and resented free Black people who were employed in Lower Manhattan. White rioters attacked Black people throughout the city. The death toll was 119+ people.
    6) The Memphis massacre of 1866 was a series of violent events that occurred from May 1 to 3, 1866 in Memphis, Tennessee. A shooting "altercation" happened between police and Black Civil War veterans. Mobs of white residents and policemen rampaged through Black neighborhoods.
    7) New Orleans Massacre, 1866 - Unarmed protesters (Black veterans) arrived to rally for voting rights. They were met by a group of armed whites who opposed abolition. The marchers were stabbed, kicked, clubbed, and shot. 50 people were killed.
    8) Opelousas Massacre, 1868 - "The deadliest massacre in reconstruction-era Louisiana happened 150 years ago." (Smithsonian) A white school teacher/journalist on the side of Black liberation was beaten. Black ppl were accused of plotting revenge and 250 people were killed.
    9) Meridian, Mississippi, 1871 - Black men were accused of inciting a riot, starting a fire, and organizing. During the trial, the judge was shot in the courtroom and a gunfight erupted. 30 Black people were murdered over the following days.
    10) Clinton Riots, Missisippi, 1875

11) Hamburg Massacre, South Carolina - White supremacists wanted to regain control of state governments and eradicate the civil rights of Black Americans. 100 white men attacked Black people. 94 white men were indicted for murder by a coroner's jury, none were prosecuted.
    12) Carroll County Courthouse Massacre, Mississippi, 1886 - Ed and Charley Brown, who were part Native American and Black, spilled molasses they were delivering. They were accused of intentionally spilling the molasses. An argument ended in all men wounded…during the trial…50 armed white men stormed the courtroom and opened fire on the Brown brothers and the other Black ppl in attendance. Both brothers were killed along w/ 21+ other Black ppl. All victims of the massacre were Black; no whites were injured.
    13) Thibodaux Massacre, Louisiana 1887 - Cane cutters, while "free," weren't allowed to own land, rent, and their families lived in old slave cabins. Instead of cash, workers got scrip that bought basics at plantation stores. Workers banded together in several sugar parishes…
    14) New Orleans Dockworkers' Riot, 1894 - Non-union Black dockworkers were attacked by white dockworkers, accused of agreeing to lower wages. The riot left six Black laborers dead and many other wounded.
    15) Virden, Illinois Race Riot, 1898 -Birmingham miners arrive to Virden, to help during a strike. Greeted by 300 armed white miners. 7 striking miners and 5 guards were killed, with as many as thirty individuals wounded, including a Black Birmingham miner.
    16) Newburg, NY, 1899 - Black workers were hired to fill labor shortages in brick yards. Several strikes broke out at multiple brickyards as non-Black workers protested the hiring of more Black ppl. Racial tensions and fights broke out. 2 Black men were injured.
    17) Robert Charles Riot, New Orleans, 1900 - Black laborer Robert Charles fatally shot a white police officer. Manhunt for him ensued, and a white mob started rioting, attacking Black ppl throughout the city. 4 days later, Charles was shot by a "special police volunteer."
    18) Springfield, Illinois, 1908 - Two Black men were accused of rape and murder. When a sheriff moved them out of the city for trial, a mob of 5,000 murdered Black citizens on the streets. 16 people died. 1 Black suspect was convicted and sentenced to death and the other was let go.
    19) East St. Louis, Illinois, 1917 - Rumor was: Black men were speaking to white women during a labor meeting. Thousands of white men marched into downtown East St. Louis and began attacking Black ppl and burning buildings. 6,000 Black ppl were left homeless. Deaths in the hundreds.
    20) Knoxville, Tennessee, 1919 - A lynch mob stormed the county jail in search of Maurice Mays, a biracial man who had been accused of murdering a white woman. When they couldn't find him, they destroyed and shot up the Black neighborhood.

It goes on like this for at least 75 more posts, ending in one of the most recent:

Charleston, South Carolina 2015 - A white man indoctrinated by far right extremists publishes a manifesto on the internet and drives to the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, killing nine black people including their pastor during a session of Bible Study. This is was his explanation given:

"I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me."

But yeah, tell us how good black people have it in America.

- - - Updated - - -

Seattle just went into lockdown, SPD has been called out to disperse the protesters and enforce curfew. 1992 here we come...sigh.