View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
176. This poll is closed
  • Star Wars (1977) Episode IV: A New Hope

17 9.66%
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V)

66 37.50%
  • Return of the Jedi (Episode VI)

14 7.95%
  • Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace

7 3.98%
  • Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones

5 2.84%
  • Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith

33 18.75%
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

4 2.27%
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi

4 2.27%
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

3 1.70%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

21 11.93%
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story

2 1.14%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I agree with your ranking for the most part but haven't seen solo and rogue one and would put the Force Awakens as the worst film. Every fucking second in that film there was an "improved" clone of some from the originals that would take me out of the film atleast TLJ and RoS kept me in the film for the most part and were forced to be related to the force awakens.
    Yup on the force awakens. could be worse on the list. But even though it was a major rehash and had major flaws etc etc. It still did all of the bad things less worse then the other 3.

And rogue one is a watch. Its not the greatest of star wars films. But if you watch it you know why its better as all the other new movies.

As for solo. Like all the other new movies it had a great cast. But the story let it down super much. And pacing was bad.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Not to mention Order 66. To me, the saddest scene in all of Star Wars.
    While it was a great scene, it did replace Anakin turning to Vader in a cool way and hunting down all the Jedi 1 by 1. So it's bittersweet to me.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    While it was a great scene, it did replace Anakin turning to Vader in a cool way and hunting down all the Jedi 1 by 1. So it's bittersweet to me.
    Yeah, Lucas probably did it that way for it to seem more realistic. Anakin personally hunting down all the Jedi himself was something exaggerated by Ben through exposition that highly dramatizes the actual event. It would have taken Anakin months if not years to personally hunt down all the Jedi himself, assuming he could have done it when he was barely evenly matched with Obi-Wan alone, and Obi-Wan wasn't even the most skilled Jedi out there. A nice compromise would have been showing Anakin dispatching some notable Jedi Knights and Masters in the temple instead of just zeroing in on him killing children which is just distasteful and kind of too soon for even Dark Side Anakin to do. Lucas liked to lay it on real thick and some of it came across as overly dramatic.

"You stay here and shoot all the Knights and Padawans... I will cut down the younglings myself." How fucked up is that, even for a newly turned Vader?

5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Lucas probably did it that way for it to seem more realistic. Anakin personally hunting down all the Jedi himself was something exaggerated by Ben through exposition that highly dramatizes the actual event. It would have taken Anakin months if not years to personally hunt down all the Jedi himself, assuming he could have done it when he was barely evenly matched with Obi-Wan alone, and Obi-Wan wasn't even the most skilled Jedi out there. A nice compromise would have been showing Anakin dispatching some notable Jedi Knights and Masters in the temple instead of just zeroing in on him killing children which is just distasteful and kind of too soon for even Dark Side Anakin to do. Lucas liked to lay it on real thick and some of it came across as overly dramatic.

"You stay here and shoot all the Knights and Padawans... I will cut down the younglings myself." How fucked up is that, even for a newly turned Vader?
    Yeah I totally get that. I just didn't like the build up and how he was newly crowned. He was remorseful, sad, and the whole reason for it was so palp would help him save padme, which right afterwards palp says only one had ever done it, so instead of being there and helping her, he just kills random people then goes on errands and then almost kills her. Then after he gets in the suit he asks about her again and palp tells him he killed her then the dumb NNOoooooooo. It's never set right with me whatsoever. Again, I really like Ep III a lot. But that seemed really sloppy.

Also, it was assumed that once he becomes Vader with the suit he totally gives in to the dark side and becomes even more powerful. Again not lining up with the whole NNNooooooo thing. Made him seem like an emotional basketcase under that suit. Which is why the scene in Rogue 1 was so refreshing.
    Last edited by Highelf; 2020-05-07 at 08:44 PM.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

How on earth is Revenge of the Sith beating A New Hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    How on earth is Revenge of the Sith beating A New Hope?
    The one was made a generation later...
    ...kids these days.

It would have taken Anakin months if not years to personally hunt down all the Jedi himself, assuming he could have done it when he was barely evenly matched with Obi-Wan alone, and Obi-Wan wasn't even the most skilled Jedi out there.
    I think you're forgetting how much clout Obi-Wan got for "killing" Maul, he was regarded as one of the greatest Jedi of the order.

Probably 5 or 6, but I'm overall pretty indifferent to 1-6 and don't really have a favorite, as I was always more into the lore and the way it's used in games. Closest would probably be clone wars back then as far as non-interactive video goes. I enjoy them as a somewhat coherent narrative in a universe and I never hated 1-3 except some bad scenes. 7 to me feels like a scam, 8 an insult to everything before and 9 was just broken in every way imaginable; they left the realm of decent entertainment in my opinion, which is all the previous 6 were to me.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-05-08 at 06:02 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

1) V
    2) IV
    3) Rogue One
    4) VI
    5) VII
    6) Solo
    7) IX
    8) III
    9) I
    10) II
    11) VIII - Seriously, fuck this movie and fuck the people who green-lit that rancid turd of a screenplay for filming.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Agreed, Lucas had a vision and story mapped out for his films in intervals of 3, even when he himself couldn't direct, he was still the creative driving force. The new Disney trilogy suffered from a disjointed vision. Johnson undid what Abbrams did. Johnson should have had his own trilogy to do after while Abbrams should have directed The Last Jedi.

And yes, Rogue One was awesome. It's in my top 3 as with most fans.
    Lucas had ideas for 12 episodic movies, but before he sold for Disney he decided on only 3. Lucas actually almost made Star Wars Episode 7 before he sold it to Disney (in fact, he strongly considered before the sale to make Episode 7 AND then sell it to Disney.)

The Episode ideas changed over time. Vader was going to be defeated before the Emperor and there was an episode where it was the story of Luke finding his sister. Leia was never his original sister (despite Lucas saying otherwise.) He combine the major plot points of Episodes VI to IX into Jedi.

A few Legends (then EU novels) were considered possible Episodes. IIRC, Splinter of a Mind's Eye was the original sequel to Star Wars (it was meant to be a low budget follow up which is why there are fewer returning characters.) And Zahn's Heir to the Empire series was theorized to be the original plans for the sequel trilogy (one fun fact was that Joruus C'baoth was originally a mad clone of Obi-wan Kenobi (one of Lucas' "No" moments in the old c-canon).
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Empire.

I don't care for "Your momma" jokes but its pretty baller to beat the shit of someone, cut off his hand and tell him you fucked his mom.

And the rest of the movie is pretty good too.

Good to see that the sequels are getting the appreciation they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Empire.
    I don't care for "Your momma" jokes but its pretty baller to beat the shit of someone, cut off his hand and tell him you fucked his mom.
    I..I never quite thought of the fight in that way.

Its definitely btwn Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, just ordered The Rise of Skywalker on a local store a couple hours ago (no, i haven't seen it yet). I also haven't seen Rogue One and Solo, have all other DVD's.

It's hard to choose just one movie. I tend to enjoy the original movies more then the new ones, its still hard to pick one. Might vote on the pool after i see the rise of Skywalker.

Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Ok, just ordered The Rise of Skywalker on a local store a couple hours ago (no, i haven't seen it yet). I also haven't seen Rogue One and Solo, have all other DVD's.

It's hard to choose just one movie. I tend to enjoy the original movies more then the new ones, its still hard to pick one. Might vote on the pool after i see the rise of Skywalker.
    You should definitely see Rogue One and Solo if you like the franchise. Both are a different that on the franchise.

At worse people say they don't watch SW for the tone and type of story Rogue One tells and that Solo is not 'necessary'. Not many people say they are fundamentally bad with both generally well received.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I 2nd Pacox.
    Should see Rogue One , and Solo.
    I found Rogue One positively dark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You should definitely see Rogue One and Solo if you like the franchise. Both are a different that on the franchise.

At worse people say they don't watch SW for the tone and type of story Rogue One tells and that Solo is not 'necessary'. Not many people say they are fundamentally bad with both generally well received.
    I've eard very good stuff about rogue one, and yes, its on my list, just not for now.

As for Solo, its the oposite, i've eard really bad reviews of it, so, i'm kind of scepticall. Also, it isn't Harrison Ford .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I've eard very good stuff about rogue one, and yes, its on my list, just not for now.

As for Solo, its the oposite, i've eard really bad reviews of it, so, i'm kind of scepticall. Also, it isn't Harrison Ford .
    Of the two, I'd say Rogue One is probably the better movie overall. Rogue One adheres more to the overarching narrative that is historically occuring in the background, even if it's tonally different from the main trilogies. It does have flaws, but they don't drag the movie down like what happens in some of the main trilogy movies. One of the main critiques I see is that it doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie, and I can understand that to some extent... but the ending sequence makes up for it at least.

I think Solo suffers from trying to bring in social narratives in a tone that doesn't reflect anything we've seen in the universe (which can get annoying and break immersion) with also answering questions that might've been more satisfying if left unanswered. Basically, the movie feels like some committee shoe-horned some stuff in that, if removed, would've elevated the movie much more. I don't put Solo anywhere at the level of TLJ/RoS on this aspect, but if feels like some of the same people oversaw and had input in this movie. Solo would've been MUCH better if it was more like The Mandalorian, imo.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville