View Poll Results: Do you trust your local police department?

Voters
143. This poll is closed
  • Yes absolutely! They protect and serve me.

105 73.43%
  • Absolutely not! They dont protect nor serve me

29 20.28%
  • I dont have a local PD / I want the results.

9 6.29%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    no more than i trust my local vendors of whatever.

this is a small town and violent crimes not really that often on the menu.
    so we're both ill prepared.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a negative interaction with cops. Almost got a speeding ticket, once.

Some are well meaning, some are idiots, some are abusive. It depends on the person if I trust them or not.

Sure. I was involved in a few occasions with the police. As a witness to a few crimes I saw, and once as a suspect of driving under the influence, which of course I wasn't.

At all times I was treated nicely, with patience and respect. As you'd come to expect from the German police when you treat them likewise. A relatively high entry barrier and proper training go a long way.

Contrary to popular belief, most cops are good people who want to do nothing more than serve and protect their communities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimina View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, most cops are good people who want to do nothing more than serve and protect their communities.
    They can start by doing something about the bad ones rather than espousing that thin blue line bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Have no reason to trust them even if I have yet to have a bad encounter with them. Their track record says much more than any past experiences I've had with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in the UK, police here are mostly quite alright.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Personally? Sure.

But then I'm also not in the US, nor am I a person of colour.
    This.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I really don't know. Most Police officers are normally helpful, my town doesn't have much crime, and if you call 112(911) for problems with a neighbour, they normally come and try to mediate the stuff.

But there are setbacks, often they lazy, and the worst of all, is that they just totally avoid Gypsies, if any citezen is caught without car insurance, he normally gets a ticket, but if the police looks at a Gypsy driving, they never order them to stop, the reason is they affraid of them. The result is that mos gypsies here don't even have a car insurance, which is mandatory. The few times they do something against them, normally they deploy the riot brigade, and that is normally only after a police investigation.
    Are you from a Central or Eastern European country?
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Are you from a Central or Eastern European country?
    I'm from Portugal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from Portugal.
    Ah fair enough, it sounded like what my friends/family described from Czech Rep/Slovakia.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Ah fair enough, it sounded like what my friends/family described from Czech Rep/Slovakia.
    Local (Portugal and Spain) Gypsies are diferent then Eastern Europe ones, they arrived here in the XV century, and almost can't speak romani. Other then that, they behave pretty much the same way as other gypsies, they act has a group, 2 rival clans can unite to face a comon enemy, that is why the Police, and everyone else is afraid of them, they lose their temper quite easely. Hopefully, this is slowly starting to change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully, this is slowly starting to change.
    One word, Education. When there is lack of good solid education, there is poverty, crime and ignorance.
    -K

No, of course not.

Police are the enemy more often than not. Historically, many heinous systematic and direct crimes and atrocity are committed by police forces.

I'm a Jew married to a POC. Get the fuck out of here.

I rarely interact with the police.

The last time they just drove past me and (probably since I was walking with a confused look) they told me that I was not the one they were looking for, and continued to drive slowly.

Well, I'm a white male living in a predominately white neighbourhood...so for myself I have no reason not to trust them. I can't speak for their overall trustworthiness outside of that

I'm a white guy living in an area that has an overwhelming majority of white people and I went to high school with maybe a 1/4 of the current police force so yeah, I've nothing to worry about. That said, I'm not sure I'd hold the same opinion if I lived elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'm a white guy living in an area that has an overwhelming majority of white people and I went to high school with maybe a 1/4 of the current police force so yeah, I've nothing to worry about. That said, I'm not sure I'd hold the same opinion if I lived elsewhere.
    Great minds and all that :P

I'm in America. I don't trust any level of our law enforcement. My local PD specifically has many documented instances of corruption and things always seem to happen to any one who challenges them, be it in media, legislation, or political challenges.

Granted I'm in a much smaller and more rural area that facilitates this kind of behavior. I'd probably be more inclined to trust some of the larger city law enforcement agencies given their track records. My state PD is more or less a group of government thugs with massive power and essentially no oversight.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

You should add an area breakdown to this. There is a large difference between people that live in cities and deal with city police and the people that live in rural areas that deal with local police (village, County police and Sheriffs). I trust my local police because I know a lot of them. They live here, you meet them in the day to day. I can see a big difference for people that live in cities with their, police should be local to their direct area and such and you never meet them off duty.

That's part of the problems we are dealing with now. City and rural are 2 different worlds and people in one or the other don't seem to understand that there is a big difference in how you live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. My local PD has had several killing controversies. I also have a bias because I knew a cop through family connections who was a complete asshole.