Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How long does it take to get on viable level of gear for a new player/alt?

Hello, I recently resubbed after like almost 2y break. My problem is the insane grind and crazy difference between available gear and the end game gear of ppl I meet. I'd like to know how long it realistically takes to get on viable level of gear to be at least somewhat competitive in the end game (higher m+, raids, pvp).

Right now even if I get m+ or hc raid gear, I can still do like 50% of other ppl's dmg or healing. All I can do after getting home from work are daily quests as my second job, because I cant do anything in pvp against the one shots without versa gear, corrupts, essences. I feel like an anchor my team has to carry when I join m+. Raiding isnt exactly fun when I perform at 50% of others of the same ilvl. Even if I would somehow manage to get all the gear,I still cant use it because I need to farm enough dailies to upgrade my cloak. And obviously I cant do out of instance content because this one is gated by weeks of more daily quests to get reps for flying.
    As you probably noticed, I dont enjoy this at all. All of this feels so bad it makes me want to unsub instantly, so Im asking, how long does this garbo state last before I start feeling like my character is somewhat viable? I appreciate any answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikeyla View Post
    Hello, I recently resubbed after like almost 2y break. My problem is the insane grind and crazy difference between available gear and the end game gear of ppl I meet. I'd like to know how long it realistically takes to get on viable level of gear to be at least somewhat competitive in the end game (higher m+, raids, pvp).

Right now even if I get m+ or hc raid gear, I can still do like 50% of other ppl's dmg or healing. All I can do after getting home from work are daily quests as my second job, because I cant do anything in pvp against the one shots without versa gear, corrupts, essences. I feel like an anchor my team has to carry when I join m+. Raiding isnt exactly fun when I perform at 50% of others of the same ilvl. Even if I would somehow manage to get all the gear,I still cant use it because I need to farm enough dailies to upgrade my cloak. And obviously I cant do out of instance content because this one is gated by weeks of more daily quests to get reps for flying.
    As you probably noticed, I dont enjoy this at all. All of this feels so bad it makes me want to unsub instantly, so Im asking, how long does this garbo state last before I start feeling like my character is somewhat viable? I appreciate any answers!
    Took me 2 weeks to get to neck 85 and 470ish ilvl and 3/4 of my rank 3 essences. 4th one came on the third week. Probably a month to get cloak up and td rank 5.

Flying isnt needed, naz and mech arnt needed unless you need the essence. 1 emissary a day for echoes and the assaults pretty much.
    (Do naz intro tho if you havent)

If you want to top meters, its too late, might as well wait till next expansion. With the systems in place you will always be behind. If you mean high enough gear that you will get invited and do dps that is enough to not get kicked, maybe 2 weeks at most.

Quote Originally Posted by morrouac View Post
    If you want to top meters, its too late, might as well wait till next expansion. With the systems in place you will always be behind. If you mean high enough gear that you will get invited and do dps that is enough to not get kicked, maybe 2 weeks at most.
    So laughably untrue its hilarious. 1 month max to be fully geared unless your bad. 1 month doing minimum echoes shit is enough for 8x stat inc

Op your going to get alot of WAH GAME TO GRINDY REEEE replies. Its really not bad. If you have played wow at all in the past 15 years is not much grinding.

Viable for what? Heroic? Mythic? Normal? Remember that your raids also contain people who may just be there for their last bit of gear, or for the echoes to buy the last bit of corruption they need.

Things you might not have yet that matter include corruption, trinkets, and essences. Look up which of these are recommended for your spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    Took me 2 weeks to get to neck 85 and 470ish ilvl and 3/4 of my rank 3 essences. 4th one came on the third week. Probably a month to get cloak up and td rank 5.

Flying isnt needed, naz and mech arnt needed unless you need the essence. 1 emissary a day for echoes and the assaults pretty much.
    (Do naz intro tho if you havent)
    Thanks for the info. Neck doesnt seem to be an issue for me. I got one char to 460 and second to 450ilvl and now Im actually struggling with a will to do more daily quests since I have max few hours a day to play. Im trying to focus only my hpala now because its impossible to play more than 1 char, but essences seem to be an issue. Trying to farm the 30k honor one, but 15 mins que into 80% loss because pve afkers in bg doesnt work well for this. Also farming mechagon for r3 essence, no luck. Cloak however seem to be the biggest issue for me. Im at lvl 8 and it wants me to get 4 tomes, which I suppose means doing 2 visions per 1 upgrade, because I cant see my meh geared hpala doing 4 wings in 1 run. That is a lot of daily quests to hit lvl 15 cloak.
    However can I ask you one more thing? You mentioned rank 5 TD. How do you farm or upgrade higher ranks of corruptions? Its all just random drop with random mod with random number or you can target farm it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Viable for what? Heroic? Mythic? Normal? Remember that your raids also contain people who may just be there for their last bit of gear, or for the echoes to buy the last bit of corruption they need.

Things you might not have yet that matter include corruption, trinkets, and essences. Look up which of these are recommended for your spec.
    Thank you. I know what is recommended for me, that isnt a problem. Mostly I see an issue in farming the cloak and the specific corruptions. To even step into pvp outside of random bgs it seems like I need to have veeery specific gear or Im screwed because I die in stun or cant even out-hps their dps without interrupts or cc. Raiding probably isnt a good idea since I read about ppl slacking and raids being skipped in some days, probably because ppl dont bother when SL is behind a corner. However the only interesting thing in BFA seem to be m+, so I'd like to focus on these. Corruptions seem to do more dmg than your actual abilities here. I cant do much without the upgraded cloak and corruptions here...The problem is that I need different specific gear+coruptions for pve and then I need to farm different gear for pvp with different corruptions.

Depends on your level of 'viable'.

Getting to normal raid gear and damage levels takes like a week.
    Getting to hc levels takes another, maybe 2.
    Getting to mythic levels and +15s with all the essences and corruptions takes quite a while, good month probably.

Also depends on the class / spec. Some require weekly-gated Essences to pop, some need PvP, some just need rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Depends on your level of 'viable'.

Getting to normal raid gear and damage levels takes like a week.
    Getting to hc levels takes another, maybe 2.
    Getting to mythic levels and +15s with all the essences and corruptions takes quite a while, good month probably.

Also depends on the class / spec. Some require weekly-gated Essences to pop, some need PvP, some just need rep.
    Thanks for the info. Your numbers seem to be kinda shorter than others say. Not sure if you count with the fact that i started from scratch, like 0 gear, 0 achievements, 0 rio etc. Gear itself doesnt seem to be that much of a problem. Ilvl was actually easy to get I would say. But damage levels within a week? Cloak, corruptions and essences like you mentioned are my current struggle. The problem is that without getting stuff like corruptions, essences and farm cloak level, I cant properly get to farming 15s, hc raids etc. Anyway, I guess it could take like a month to get somewhere. Will see, if the game can keep me interested for more than a month.

Thanks for the info. Neck doesnt seem to be an issue for me. I got one char to 460 and second to 450ilvl and now Im actually struggling with a will to do more daily quests since I have max few hours a day to play. Im trying to focus only my hpala now because its impossible to play more than 1 char, but essences seem to be an issue. Trying to farm the 30k honor one, but 15 mins que into 80% loss because pve afkers in bg doesnt work well for this. Also farming mechagon for r3 essence, no luck. Cloak however seem to be the biggest issue for me. Im at lvl 8 and it wants me to get 4 tomes, which I suppose means doing 2 visions per 1 upgrade, because I cant see my meh geared hpala doing 4 wings in 1 run. That is a lot of daily quests to hit lvl 15 cloak.
    However can I ask you one more thing? You mentioned rank 5 TD. How do you farm or upgrade higher ranks of corruptions? Its all just random drop with random mod with random number or you can target farm it?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. I know what is recommended for me, that isnt a problem. Mostly I see an issue in farming the cloak and the specific corruptions. To even step into pvp outside of random bgs it seems like I need to have veeery specific gear or Im screwed because I die in stun or cant even out-hps their dps without interrupts or cc. Raiding probably isnt a good idea since I read about ppl slacking and raids being skipped in some days, probably because ppl dont bother when SL is behind a corner. However the only interesting thing in BFA seem to be m+, so I'd like to focus on these. Corruptions seem to do more dmg than your actual abilities here. I cant do much without the upgraded cloak and corruptions here...The problem is that I need different specific gear+coruptions for pve and then I need to farm different gear for pvp with different corruptions.
    Cloak catch-up is far better than it used to be. You can get 4 runs per week, more in the first, and the new changes mean it's possible to get an upgrade for every run you do. Once you unlock lost areas, you may find you need more than one, so it may be helpful to get a more geared friend. If you aren't aware, you can also buy vision keys with echoes if you want to rush through getting the cloak. This will enable you to get more corruption once you gather more echoes, as well as adding a decent chunk of raw dps.

Cloak catch-up is far better than it used to be. You can get 4 runs per week, more in the first, and the new changes mean it's possible to get an upgrade for every run you do. Once you unlock lost areas, you may find you need more than one, so it may be helpful to get a more geared friend. If you aren't aware, you can also buy vision keys with echoes if you want to rush through getting the cloak. This will enable you to get more corruption once you gather more echoes, as well as adding a decent chunk of raw dps.
    I will try to push my cloak first I guess. Im at lvl 8 and it says I need to get 4x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh". Wowhead then shows that i will need 6 and 8 pages. I was told that there should be some easier cloak leveling now. Do you have any idea if its just a bugged quest text or do I need to do 8 extra wings for 1 q? Not sure if I could finish 4 wings in one run on my char, so this sounds like real pita.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Basically whatever you mean with "recently" and what "viable" is. But honestly...if you don't think the game can hold your interest for a month and you expect to be able to do +15 and HM raids right off the bat..nope..not gonna happen.

As others suggested, don't bother in that case. Even with just 75 posts since you joined, you should have gotten the drift from this forum what it takes to catch up to something that others spend MONTHS on. Definitely not a week. Are there even games that allow that?

- - - Updated - - -

..and pretty much this.
    Well, first I thought I could play wow long term again, but so far it just throws chores and pita with no real benefits so far. I guess I will see at the end of the month, if I can see any difference in fun. There is no reason to force push myself into the game, right? I still hope I could at least decently play pvp or m+15 and above before the sub runs out. Raids will just go downhill until the SL release imo.

Couple of weeks to be ready for heroics and not look completely shit.

The main thing is essences and cloak levels, and the main source for both of these is visions, and the source for that is the three weekly assaults.

I actually think the cloak should increase corruption or the game give you base corruption over time rather than doing a vision once a week or killing N'Zoth. It's one of those asinine "stay subscribed at all costs" features that fucks new players over. How do they expect to keep new players, if they shaft them out of ever being competitive though timegating?

Also, once you've got an 80 neck, all Azerite Power rewards should be switched to Coalescing Visions. Or let us pick. You know, actual player agency for a change.

I will try to push my cloak first I guess. Im at lvl 8 and it says I need to get 4x Torn Page of "Fear and Flesh". Wowhead then shows that i will need 6 and 8 pages. I was told that there should be some easier cloak leveling now. Do you have any idea if its just a bugged quest text or do I need to do 8 extra wings for 1 q? Not sure if I could finish 4 wings in one run on my char, so this sounds like real pita.
    It has been reduced. You should now never need more than 4 pages. I recall there being some bugs around this, where people had quests that said more pieces were required, but they were able to hand in at 4, but those should have been ironed out by now. As I said, completing all 4 can be an issue until you've progressed your talent tree a little more, so it may be helpful to get a carry through those. The strat for that is to have your friend revive you before pulling the boss of each wing, you have to tag that to get credit. If you're going solo, be aware that you don't need to kill Thrall/Alleria to get those pages, so if you have the choice between pushing another wing and going back for the final boss, the wing is probably better. You'll miss out on a bit of gear, but the gear before you can do a full run isn't likely to be an upgrade for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Couple of weeks to be ready for heroics and not look completely shit.

The main thing is essences and cloak levels, and the main source for both of these is visions, and the source for that is the three weekly assaults.

I actually think the cloak should increase corruption or the game give you base corruption over time rather than doing a vision once a week or killing N'Zoth. It's one of those asinine "stay subscribed at all costs" features that fucks new players over. How do they expect to keep new players, if they shaft them out of ever being competitive though timegating?

Also, once you've got an 80 neck, all Azerite Power rewards should be switched to Coalescing Visions. Or let us pick. You know, actual player agency for a change.
    I have similar feelings. Is it true that you get some cloak upgrade every single week which can not ever be cought up by ppl like me(the killing of n'zoth you mentioned maybe?)? That sounds just too lame even for Blizz standards, but I read about it from 2 different sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    So laughably untrue its hilarious. 1 month max to be fully geared unless your bad. 1 month doing minimum echoes shit is enough for 8x stat inc

Op your going to get alot of WAH GAME TO GRINDY REEEE replies. Its really not bad. If you have played wow at all in the past 15 years is not much grinding.
    You’re* /10char

I have similar feelings. Is it true that you get some cloak upgrade every single week which can not ever be cought up by ppl like me(the killing of n'zoth you mentioned maybe?)? That sounds just too lame even for Blizz standards, but I read about it from 2 different sources.
    If you're up to date you can get one corruption upgrade a week, from either completing a vision, or killing N'Zoth on Normal or higher.

If you're not up to date, you can get one upgrade from each.

Honestly shouldn't be like that. Alts and new players will find it very hard to catch up, and after a certain amount of time will *never* be able to.

If I was designing it, you'd be able to run them repeatedly, and even add masks to get bonus orbs until you catch up. N'Zoth would also drop 1 orb on LFR, 2 on Normal, 3 on Heroic and 5 on Mythic (as if that's what a new player is doing). But then it's not my job to make sure player have an eternal fear of missing out that has plagued WoW's design for the last decade. Things aren't designed to be fun. They're designed to be a hamster wheel that prints money.

It depends on the content you want to do.

My experience? For healing Mythic+10 and Heroic Nyalotha? 1-2 weeks

ilvl 450, neck lvl 75, cape lvl 1 with no corrupted items, mediocre essences/azerite traits. That's fine for +10/Heroic.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-06-02 at 11:16 AM.

It has been reduced. You should now never need more than 4 pages. I recall there being some bugs around this, where people had quests that said more pieces were required, but they were able to hand in at 4, but those should have been ironed out by now. As I said, completing all 4 can be an issue until you've progressed your talent tree a little more, so it may be helpful to get a carry through those. The strat for that is to have your friend revive you before pulling the boss of each wing, you have to tag that to get credit. If you're going solo, be aware that you don't need to kill Thrall/Alleria to get those pages, so if you have the choice between pushing another wing and going back for the final boss, the wing is probably better. You'll miss out on a bit of gear, but the gear before you can do a full run isn't likely to be an upgrade for you.
    Alright. Thanks for the info. I did some research too, but there are so many outdated topics about this. I guess I will try to get somebody to help. Kinda sux that they need to use their resources to boost me instead of free joining into mine. Will see, how far I can get!

Alright. Thanks for the info. I did some research too, but there are so many outdated topics about this. I guess I will try to get somebody to help. Kinda sux that they need to use their resources to boost me instead of free joining into mine. Will see, how far I can get!
    They can use the method I suggested to do whatever's relevant for them in terms of masks. There shouldn't be an excessive additional burden from carrying you. Plus if they only need echoes from it, they gain no extra benefit from using masks. Masks only improve gear and memento drops, which aren't massively important if they're well geared.

Thanks for the info. Your numbers seem to be kinda shorter than others say. Not sure if you count with the fact that i started from scratch, like 0 gear, 0 achievements, 0 rio etc. Gear itself doesnt seem to be that much of a problem. Ilvl was actually easy to get I would say. But damage levels within a week? Cloak, corruptions and essences like you mentioned are my current struggle. The problem is that without getting stuff like corruptions, essences and farm cloak level, I cant properly get to farming 15s, hc raids etc. Anyway, I guess it could take like a month to get somewhere. Will see, if the game can keep me interested for more than a month.
    I started playing again with the last timewalking event - so around a month ago. Haven't played since BoD, so nothing relevant to show off.
    Playing during timewalking meant pretty much instantly 425 with barely any effort, and once you're at that ilvl you get 430 from regular WQs and like 445 from Emissaries and special stuff. With that ilvl it's not hard to get into lower level m+, thus getting to 440 in 1 week was really no biggie - at which point you're ready for normal raiding. The week after that I got to ~450-455 from doing normals, m+ spam and Visions, the week after that I started heroic and got to ~460. Atm sitting at ~470 in bags just from that.

I also have pretty much all the Essences I need at rank 3 right now. Lucid, Visions, all the rep ones (except the Uldum/Vale ones, those are still 2), all the weekly ones, all done. The only ones i haven't bothered with are the EP, PVP and Island ones, fuck those (although Islands should probably also be R3 by now - even EP could be at R3 with some persistence).

All of this was done solo. No guild, no boosting, not even making groups myself. Just being a tank and playing for like 6-7 days /played over the last 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    I started playing again with the last timewalking event - so around a month ago. Haven't played since BoD, so nothing relevant to show off.
    Playing during timewalking meant pretty much instantly 425 with barely any effort, and once you're at that ilvl you get 430 from regular WQs and like 445 from Emissaries and special stuff. With that ilvl it's not hard to get into lower level m+, thus getting to 440 in 1 week was really no biggie - at which point you're ready for normal raiding. The week after that I got to ~450-455 from doing normals, m+ spam and Visions, the week after that I started heroic and got to ~460. Atm sitting at ~470 in bags just from that.

I also have pretty much all the Essences I need at rank 3 right now. Lucid, Visions, all the rep ones (except the Uldum/Vale ones, those are still 2), all the weekly ones, all done. The only ones i haven't bothered with are the EP, PVP and Island ones, fuck those (although Islands should probably also be R3 by now - even EP could be at R3 with some persistence).

All of this was done solo. No guild, no boosting, not even making groups myself. Just being a tank and playing for like 6-7 days /played over the last 4 weeks.
    Ok, thanks for the info. As I said already, I dont think the ilvl is too hard to get. Im more concerned about the cloak and specific corruption farm, but I guess there is no easy way around this...