A question about the High Elves of the Alliance...

I don't know the lore all that well, so I'll start this question by first explaining my understanding of events that lead me to the question in the first place:

So, as far as I understand, the High Elves were dependent on the Sunwell throughout the RTS games until Arthas destroyed it. Then, the High Elves (soon renamed the Blood Elves) went through withdrawal due to some sort of a magic addiction that they now struggled to sate. They started to feed on alternate forms of magic, occasionally the fel, leading to corruptions such as their green eyes and things of that nature. They drained mana from living things, like those mana wyrms.

So here's my question...

What about the High Elves that never joined the Blood Elves of Quel'thalas? The High Elves that remained with the Alliance? The Silver Covenant, the Quel'danis Lodge, all the random High Elves wayfarers we see. Were they not equally affected by the destruction of the Sunwell?

The Blood Elves found alternate forms of magic to feed on, but does this then apply to the High Elves of the Alliance too? Were there those green demonic pillars hidden somewhere that they fed on, like the green pylons in Silvermoon City? If not, how did they sate the hunger?

not sure if thats answered anywhere but the majority of silver covenant elves are/were from dalaran, which by itself is a high mana zone, and were absorbing its magic instead of the sunwells

same could be said for the elves in alerian stronghold in terokkar, outland has wast amounts of magic floating around from the shattering and what not
    Last edited by valky94; 2020-06-02 at 12:13 PM.

IIrc those elves that didn't follow Kaelthas and remained Alliance/Neutral decided to overcome their addiction by meditation and willpower rather than sucking mana out of wyrms and fel crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwell View Post
    I don't know the lore all that well, so I'll start this question by first explaining my understanding of events that lead me to the question in the first place:

So, as far as I understand, the High Elves were dependent on the Sunwell throughout the RTS games until Arthas destroyed it. Then, the High Elves (soon renamed the Blood Elves) went through withdrawal due to some sort of a magic addiction that they now struggled to sate. They started to feed on alternate forms of magic, occasionally the fel, leading to corruptions such as their green eyes and things of that nature. They drained mana from living things, like those mana wyrms.

So here's my question...

What about the High Elves that never joined the Blood Elves of Quel'thalas? The High Elves that remained with the Alliance? The Silver Covenant, the Quel'danis Lodge, all the random High Elves wayfarers we see. Were they not equally affected by the destruction of the Sunwell?

The Blood Elves found alternate forms of magic to feed on, but does this then apply to the High Elves of the Alliance too? Were there those green demonic pillars hidden somewhere that they fed on, like the green pylons in Silvermoon City? If not, how did they sate the hunger?
    Well, I'll try to cover it with the knowledge I have:
    - Sunwell was just tainted by Arthas, not actually destroyed. The one who destroyed Sunwell was Kael'thas after his return from Dalaran. He feared what could defiled Sunwell cause to the elves.
    - All Thalassian elves felt the pain of addiction. Magic users were the most affected. Only old, sick and young elves died of withdrawal, but it was not lethal for majority of elves. It was described as painful ordeal thou which if not sated, usually resulted in madness.
    - As Kael introduced mana siphoning from living creatures, it included demons. Most elves were so eager to sate their thirst that they willingly used fel as means of sating their addiction.
    - Those who were not careful and drank too much mana, become Wretched (on the contraty of Nightfallen Withered, which are result of mana-starvation).
    - Some elves thought draining mana from creatures is not right and did not want to practise it. They opposed the current leadership of Silvermoon for letting this happen. Lor'themar, who was a Regent in place of the Kael, banished those who did not followed Kael's teachings to prevent civil unrest. Those elves went to Quel'lithien Lodge in Plaguelands.
    - Elves which did not return to Silvermoon also felt the pain of addiction. They mostly choose to sate their addiction on magical objects and artifacts, rather then siphoning it from living creatures or from demons.
    - High elves felt bitter towards blood elves for exiling them from Silvermoon, for siphoning unstable, corrupting and dangerous sources of magic, and later for allying with the Horde, which attack various high elf settlements on several occassions.
    - Some High Elves chose to maintain their addiction through meditations and their willpower. Some High elves willingly give up magic to ease their addiction. This is mostly case of Hinterlands High elves.
    - When the Sunwell was restored, all thalassian elves felt it, be it blood or high elves. It radiates through all of Azeroth and sate all elves.
    - Quel'Danas is now pilgrimage in hands of Blood elves, who at the time of WotLK allows high elves to see Sunwell.
    - It is unclear if the pilgrimage was open during faction wars, since it could expose precious spot for blood elves
    Last edited by Vaedan; 2020-06-02 at 12:18 PM.

They endured it. Determined not to resort to sucking mana out of living beings or worse fel energy just to sste lusts. Some decided they're better off without the arcane and endured it, occassionally finding relief near arcane sources like Moonwells, or magical items and substances to help.

The blood elves twisted the logic calling them weak and irresponsible, because such deprivation was fatal to some of the very old or very young and some of the I'll, but many who read would admire them for sticking to their principles and not going all vampire on living beings just to sste their pangs.

The kaldorei priests and druids would be proud, except the high elves dont particularly like them, though they enjoyed their moonwells

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    The kaldorei priests and druids would be proud, except the high elves dont particularly like them, though they enjoyed their moonwells
    Except these days, relations between Night Elves and High/Void Elves have improved. Don't let Vereesa's words in Suramar cover the whole races' feelings.

We had High Elves involved with working with the Sentinels in Stonetalon Mountains. A Night Elven Huntress also joined the Silver Covenent and a different Night Elf Huntress joined the Kirin tor and Silver Covenent in the Kirin Tor Offensive, on the Isle of Thunder.
    We have seen Shandris and the Sentinels willingly work with Vereesa, Alleria, Umbric as well as their forces.

Relations were poor - especially during TBC, but then things started turning for the better. High Elves and Night Elves started working together and some joining each others' respected organisations.

First this belongs into the megathread

There is no uniform high elf approach, just as there is no uniform high elf group

Some of them stole magical artifacts, to sustain themselves
    Others were given magical assistance in sheltered Dalaran
    Some became permanently mentally and physically crippled, by not sating their addiction
    Some powered through, without consequences
    Others overindulged in magical energy and became wretched

3+ Year Old Account
    The High Elves also hoarded many mana crystals away from the Blood Elves, which contributed to their exile

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    They endured it. Determined not to resort to sucking mana out of living beings or worse fel energy just to sste lusts. Some decided they're better off without the arcane and endured it, occassionally finding relief near arcane sources like Moonwells, or magical items and substances to help.
    Wait, the High Elves were allowed to bask in Moonwells? Mordent himself was not even allowed to look at them
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Official High Elf Discussion Megathread is the clearinghouse for discussions of this type, there don't need to be extraneous or redundant threads discussing it elsewhere. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead