Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    I don't think you know what defend means.
    Why do you feel the need to tell us that you don't care about the victim, is what people are getting at. It distracts from the point, which is that the police officer in question acted heinously. Because it distracts from that point, it comes off like you are excusing him, even though I recognize you acknowledge that he deserves to be punished.

The victim's record doesn't matter, it wasn't relevant to the situation or to the larger context that this kind of police brutality is all too common in the US.

https://apnews.com/878c149e1107abfcabe762a1c9915ba0

Starting to see some cops held accountable. 6 officers in Atlanta charged with (IMO pretty minor) crimes for assaulting a couple and dragging them out of their car for...there really doesn't seem to be a crime.

Just the cops, screaming at a woman who is trying to comply with them, repeatedly grabbing her arm to try to pull her out, almost immediately tazering her, using pepper balls at close range on her.

And people wonder why protesters are so fucking angry and why they're engaging in vandalism and property destruction? Because this shit ain't isolated. It ain't rare. And eventually shit boils over when you never do anything to release the pressure of ongoing institutionalized racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    He had put out a video before his death trying to get youth to reform, he seems pretty reformed.

Again, his character is not what the issue is about. If George was a great guy, it makes it more tragic sure but this is entirely an issue of how police do their jobs.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Again, his character is not what the issue is about. If George was a great guy, it makes it more tragic sure but this is entirely an issue of how police do their jobs.
    Pretty much this. It doesn't matter what George Floyd was like in life. Good or bad...he did nothing during his arrest that would warrant his execution.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Oh I agree just wanted to point out that he seemed to have reformed so trying to pretend that he was some evil scum and that Invalidates every Thing is even more idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Manslaughter isn't murder.
    It's word play. If I run over you with 20t truck and you die I still killed you even tho u I didn't used a gun, bow, arms, legs... You are dead, I killed you but there was no intent

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    It's word play. If I run over you with 20t truck and you die I still killed you even tho u I didn't used a gun, bow, arms, legs... You are dead, I killed you but there was no intent
    No, it's a legal definition. It was already determined that in the state of Minnesota, Manslaughter is Murder. In many states, it's not. In your scenario, you killed me, but did not murder me (depending on what state).

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's a legal definition. It was already determined that in the state of Minnesota, Manslaughter is Murder. In many states, it's not. In your scenario, you killed me, but did not murder me (depending on what state).
    Okay then, how about lynched?

Is that a sufficiently technically correct term for your tastes? Better question: what does it ultimately matter in a discussion of a racist system of law enforcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Lmao at these riots. Cant wait for racism to be "solved". What do these idiots think is gonna be the result of this

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Okay then, how about lynched?

Is that a sufficiently technically correct term for your tastes? Better question: what does it ultimately matter in a discussion of a racist system of law enforcement?
    Yeah, great point. Why not charge him with assault! Cuz he did that! Who cares if we use the most correct term! He was also in the street, JAYWALKING!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, great point. Why not charge him with assault! Cuz he did that! Who cares if we use the most correct term! He was also in the street, JAYWALKING!
    I ask again.

What does it ultimately matter in a discussion of a racist system of law enforcement?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Lmao at these riots. Cant wait for racism to be "solved". What do these idiots think is gonna be the result of this
    "What do these idiots think is gonna be the result of this"

Cops should have asked themselves the same thing when they opened fire on a peaceful protest.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I think the point was more that it's a remarkably dumb as well as morally dubious time to be pedantic AND off-point.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    "What do these idiots think is gonna be the result of this"

Cops should have asked themselves the same thing when they opened fire on a peaceful protest.
    Crazy how when this over in a few days racism will be no longer and we will all hold hands and sing around the campfire.

Btw, you should change your profile pic to black to help support whatever bullshit lol. Cause im sure thats gonna help things too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy how when this over in a few days racism will be no longer and we will all hold hands and sing around the campfire.

Btw, you should change your profile pic to black to help support whatever bullshit lol. Cause im sure thats gonna help things too.
    Imagine making fun of people protesting for their civil liberties and thinking you're coming away looking like a big man, lol.

Statements like this are why I have absolutely no fear of a right wing insurgency in the US, oddly enough. Because they hold all political causes but self interest to be equally worthless, they're deaf to social movements that actually have natural political energy or worse - are actively complicit in reacting against the cause for reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Imagine making fun of people protesting for their civil liberties and thinking you're coming away looking like a big man, lol.

Statements like this are why I have absolutely no fear of a right wing insurgency in the US, oddly enough. Because they hold all political causes but self interest to be equally worthless, they're deaf to social movements that actually have natural political energy.
    I dont need to imagine making fun of it when I can just make fun of it lol. Imagine crying on the internet or actually heaven forbid going to the protests themselves (lmao) and thinking you are gonna have any sort of positive change on the world. Keep flailing about impotently though, its extremely entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not about the black picture thing. Media Black out is silence. I want protesters to be as loud as possible. Maybe someone who has the power to make a change will hear them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, nothing happened in the 1960's when there were protests.

Desegregation definitely didn't happen as a result. Surely police reform is all but impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont need to imagine making fun of it when I can just make fun of it lol. Imagine crying on the internet or actually heaven forbid going to the protests themselves (lmao) and thinking you are gonna have any sort of positive change on the world. Keep flailing about impotently though, its extremely entertaining.
    You seem pretty set that this is not the way to instigate change. What do you propose be done instead?

And just like that, all the bait stores went out of business - how could they compete in a world where none was even needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.