Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't think stupid people look and try to interpret numbers at all.

Personally, I find it rather odd, that the authorities condone such mass events.
    Its the case of yesterdays Dutch protest they expected demonstrators to be in the low hundreds, they simply were not prepared for 5000+ people showing up and there was not a large enough police force to be able to send people home so rather then risk a confrontation they were not prepared for the mayor begrudgingly let it happen.

Trust me, the authorities are not happy about it, at all.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Ah thanks. I'm not Dutch, so I wasn't aware of the details.
    Makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Its the case of yesterdays Dutch protest they expected demonstrators to be in the low hundreds, they simply were not prepared for 5000+ people showing up and there was not a large enough police force to be able to send people home so rather then risk a confrontation they were not prepared for the mayor begrudgingly let it happen.

Facebook had at least 4000 people Interested in the event. It was a weak performance by the local mayor, in stead of trying to talk to people to take distance she just marched along.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Yes. By stupid people.

People with brains do not look at a death toll of one hundred and three thousand in the span of a few months and call countermeasures to prevent that an overreaction.
    No, the overreaction I'm talking about was the "zomg we're all doomed" mass hysteria that disappeared recently. Countermeasures were necessary. And death toll of 103k is low, if it really was that low instead of actually 4x higher, governments likely wouldn't have implemented such harsh measures.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Stupid people are also the ones who can't grasp that said number being what it is is because of the countermeasures, and the alternative would have been much, much worse.
    See above. And we agreed already that in your country measures were too little, too late. Compare USA to Czech Republic, Israel, Korea. Good measures are early measures. If the second wave comes, we'll see who can learn and who can't.

Stupid people are those who, a week ago, were preaching that the sky is falling, and now are busy rioting as if there is no pandemic after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    There was no overreaction. Look at whats happening now in countries that didn't react. People like you never let facts get in the way do you?
    Resorting to ad hominem attacks means that you realize you're wrong and have no valid argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    No, the overreaction I'm talking about was the "zomg we're all doomed" mass hysteria that disappeared recently.
    This didn't exist.

Countermeasures were necessary. And death toll of 103k is low, if it really was that low instead of actually 4x higher, governments likely wouldn't have implemented such harsh measures.
    103,000 deaths in a few months is not a "low" count because it is the current death count from a single country, that being the US.

And mind you, that's 100,300 deaths with social distancing measures in place. It was not an overreaction, and the "we're all doomed" nonsense is a fiction in your brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I think we can all be reasonably certain more cases will occur.
    If you're pro-violent behavior, you better be pro-death.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Why can't the USA do what Singapore and Central African Republic did?
    Just look at their case/death ratios :>
    Apart from all the problems in CAR (it seems likely that they don't test everyone, and if it takes off it is likely to overwhelm their 3 ventilators) the number of confirmed cases are increasing a lot recently in CAR, so some infected haven't had time to die yet.

Singapore seems to be doing good, even if they have slipped up recently and their number of new cases are not declining.

For both countries a simple explanation is also that the infected are young (in Singapore because the living quarters for migrant workers are too crowded - and they are young, and in CAR because the old are already dead). Having a large portion of young infected will skew the CFR ratio in a positive way - but I don't see that either approach is applicable in the US: neither killing of the elderly in other ways - nor packing lots of migrant workers together to spread the disease among them seems like good solutions.

However there might be some actual minor lessons to learn, Singapore to have listened to the recommendation of putting patients in the prone position, it seems unclear if CDC has listened.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the overreaction I'm talking about was the "zomg we're all doomed" mass hysteria that disappeared recently.
    Huh?
    I've never seen that. I do have seen the "this will get really ugly if e ignore it" but that is an accurate statement, not hysteria.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    This didn't exist.
    Oh, but it did, it's documented in this very thread, scroll up and count how many posts can be summarized by "why aren't you scared, people are dying?!" - probably hundreds.

103,000 deaths in a few months is not a "low" count because it is the current death count from a single country, that being the US.
    People around the globe care about local death count of USA about as much as you care about death count outside of USA :|

And mind you, that's 100,300 deaths with social distancing measures in place. It was not an overreaction
    If it was not an overreaction, and the pandemic is as serious as it was advertised just a week ago, what are all those crowds doing in the streets? Just a week ago protesters were called idiots and worse, now all is forgotten. 180 degree turn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Huh?
    I've never seen that. I do have seen the "this will get really ugly if e ignore it" but that is an accurate statement, not hysteria.
    Really. "this will get really ugly if we ignore it" is my position. There are many far more fearmonger-leaning statements here in this thread, I'm nearly being called a denier here

So... about social distancing.
    Is it no longer necessary?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    So... about social distancing.
    Is it no longer necessary?
    Guess not! Feel free to go and rub your face against a hospital elevator button panel since the protests clearly mean there is no more public health crisis.

Unless you can think of a reason you shouldn't?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, but it did, it's documented in this very thread, scroll up and count how many posts can be summarized by "why aren't you scared, people are dying?!" - probably hundreds.
    Ah, yeah.

We're down from "mass hysteria" to "people were freaking out in this thread". Mhm.

People around the globe care about local death count of USA about as much as you care about death count outside of USA :|
    Oh, so: a lot, as I'm not an ignorant sociopath? Shockingly enough I give money to the Red Cross/Red Crescent for the same reason.

If it was not an overreaction, and the pandemic is as serious as it was advertised just a week ago, what are all those crowds doing in the streets? Just a week ago protesters were called idiots and worse, now all is forgotten. 180 degree turn.
    It's almost as if being lynched by police is a compelling public issue but not being able to abuse food service workers for a month isn't. Curiouser and curiouser.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Guess not! Feel free to go and rub your face against a hospital elevator button panel since the protests clearly mean there is no more public health crisis.
    Protestors seem to feel differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Protestors seem to feel differently.
    Ah yes, the protesters who are doing their best to be safe by wearing masks and other PPE, to the point of offering them to the police who weren't wearing them (and refused anyway because ACAB)? Those protesters?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Facebook had at least 4000 people Interested in the event. It was a weak performance by the local mayor, in stead of trying to talk to people to take distance she just marched along.
    Yeh notorious cunt that Halsema.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, yeah.

We're down from "mass hysteria" to "people were freaking out in this thread". Mhm.
    Mass hysteria has swept over many countries of the world. As a representative sample, people were freaking out in this thread, on an off-topic subforum of a gaming site. The same was happening in many other places. This thread is not unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass hysteria has swept over many countries of the world. As a representative sample, people were freaking out in this thread, on an off-topic subforum of a gaming site. The same was happening in many other places. This thread is not unique.
    Then you clearly won't mind providing evidence beyond "people were saying" and "well you only have to look in this thread!", as if it was so readily apparent then it should be easy for you to do rather than continue to squirm as though I've asked you to spin gold from hay.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost as if being lynched by police is a compelling public issue but not being able to abuse food service workers for a month isn't. Curiouser and curiouser.
    I'm not saying police should be allowed to murder people, I'm just saying the pandemic narrative went silent when protests started. Expect more cases in protest hotspots, and what will "your side" say then?

- - - Updated - - -

Then you clearly won't mind providing evidence beyond "people were saying" and "well you only have to look in this thread!", as if it was so readily apparent then it should be easy for you to do rather than continue to squirm as though I've asked you to spin gold from hay.
    As your friend Machismo likes to say, all the evidence has been provided for you in this thread, go ahead and read for yourself

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying police should be allowed to murder people, I'm just saying the pandemic narrative went silent when protests started. Expect more cases in protest hotspots, and what will "your side" say then?
    That COVID would not have been as virulent in the US as it has been without a fucking abysmal government response to it, which is one of the things being protested?

"But how can a plague have anything to do with racism?" you might say.

Simple: by virtue of their poverty rates, black and latinx people are more likely to be exposed to COVID and less likely to have the resources to either prevent being infected, transmitting it, or getting medical attention to treat it.

As your friend Machismo likes to say, all the evidence has been provided for you in this thread, go ahead and read for yourself
    I've been participant in this thread since it was started so....done? Your position remains full of shit, so you might wanna correct that with something more substantial than 'people have been saying'.

Christ and Allah it's like talking to a prerevolutionary artistocrat woman in Versailles. "On dit..."
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-06-02 at 07:44 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    On a separate topic, shall we discuss the following picture? Or give it one more week?

I don't know man. Is there a reason?
    Are all those people protesting gonna respread covid throughout the country?
    Are they actively causing deaths?