Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    That's a reasonable theory for why there is a rotation, because even for non-new players, it would be a little obnoxious to sort through since Blizzard's in-game filter system on vendors is pretty inadequate. I mean, I still think it would be worth it and they could make it work in other ways (maybe you have to ask for the specific one, maybe there are a couple vendors, maybe sorted by level, etc), but that at least makes sense as to their rationale.

But what is the reason for the rotation being unknown to begin with? I just can't fathom what they think the benefit is of having a bunch of people sitting around waiting for a mystery date to buy their chosen corruptions. Why not just release a set and/or predictible schedule for the rotation? It seems unnecessary and weird to purposely make it the way it is.
    If you have all 52 available at any time there won't be a rush to get them. The carrot doesn't really work for me and I'm outside that cycle but there are people who need the carrot system (do it now or it's gone) to get motivated to so stuff. Blizzard simply knows some of their players well.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Right, sounds logical...so Blizzard has all these games...and ppl call them all dead...to the point where WoW might have only 1 million subs and Classic not even close...so where do 30 million individuals logging in come from (10 million per month) - since we got 30 million MAUs quarterly.
    Classic WoW seems to have way more people playing it than retail though.

WCL logged 8141 BWL logs on june 2, but only 6420 nyalotha logs on all difficulties.

AS such, not to make this a classic vs retail thing but there seems to be a big argument for that a huge margin of MAUs are indeed from Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    If you have all 52 available at any time there won't be a rush to get them. The carrot doesn't really work for me and I'm outside that cycle but there are people who need the carrot system (do it now or it's gone) to get motivated to so stuff. Blizzard simply knows some of their players well.
    My real curiosity is why the rotation is excessively convoluted and hard to predict. They could have easily had a reliable, obvious (or outright stated) schedule for corruptions so players knew what weeks they were getting what without this weird pattern solving.

I don't understand why Blizzard went the route they did with the corruption schedule. It seems needlessly confusing for no real benefit either to Blizzard or the player. That was the essence of my question.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    well this thread aged badly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Classic WoW seems to have way more people playing it than retail though.

WCL logged 8141 BWL logs on june 2, but only 6420 nyalotha logs on all difficulties.

AS such, not to make this a classic vs retail thing but there seems to be a big argument for that a huge margin of MAUs are indeed from Classic.
    you're using a single day as basis for your argument? come back to me once you have a week of data and then that will be worth looking at.

The amount of logs is irrelevant.
    Only thing that matters is actual players.

Ironically, no one logs normal or LFR, despite them probably being the same difficulty as BWL.

That's the issue.
    Classic is all elitists who think parse culture matters, and BFA is all serious people trying to actually get better every time they play.

Either way, this thread should be deleted or heavily edited.
    Its not true, and is only going to confuse people going forward.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    well this thread aged badly
    ThE CoDe HaS BeEn CrAcKeD

LMAO

My real curiosity is why the rotation is excessively convoluted and hard to predict. They could have easily had a reliable, obvious (or outright stated) schedule for corruptions so players knew what weeks they were getting what without this weird pattern solving.

I don't understand why Blizzard went the route they did with the corruption schedule. It seems needlessly confusing for no real benefit either to Blizzard or the player. That was the essence of my question.
    I was called many things for bringing up this questions (and possible answers) myself.
    Be careful with the forum Mafia

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    I was called many things for bringing up this questions (and possible answers) myself.
    I can't speak to your context or how the topic was broached, but I'm asking a sincere question. I don't understand why they made this decision. I am asking if anyone knows why, if they have said. Blizzard does a lot of things I disagree with but I can at least usually understand the thinking behind those decisions. This one is just baffling to me.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Hahahaha, I would cry in that case if i was one who invested months and months into it. I expect the usual "stops working above level 49" thing. It's very odd that we don't have info about this yet... Or do we?
    I honestly never expect a system to carry over to the next expansion at all. If they do, it's a nice surprise, but I'm not counting on corruptions working at level 51.

I can't speak to your context or how the topic was broached, but I'm asking a sincere question. I don't understand why they made this decision. I am asking if anyone knows why, if they have said. Blizzard does a lot of things I disagree with but I can at least usually understand the thinking behind those decisions. This one is just baffling to me.
    They just want people to stay subbed for a lot longer then they would have to if all 52 corruption were available. A lot of people were short the first few days to buy their BIS pieces so now they have to wait til it cycles back around. An since nobody knows when that would actually be it could be next week or 2 months from now..

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well, Tziva answered that, when I posed the same question and it made sense: If you plan to quit anyhow, why would you extend your sub, to buy an item that you are not using anyhow, because you planned to quit?

But who knows how mentality of players works. Maybe it does get the odd guy to add a month of sub, he likes his gameplay with the new corruption and stays?.

After my HV from yesterday I really felt like this. https://www.darklegacycomics.com/716 - oh yeah...and that is even missing Gift of Titan procs

Great fun at times but mostly WTF
    Who knows, maybe they are hoping people like me who subs run out in a couple days stick around another month. Maybe they are hoping these guys are going to be interested in doing this pointless grind on an Alt. Like you said the Wow mentality is a weird one. Personally I could care less no different then when leggos went up on the vendor.

I dont know, seems very intentional to just have 6 out of a possible 52 what do they gain from a long delay if its not to keep the suckers paying?

Your comic cracked me up, its like our DH whos still has IS proccing over 40% on fights..

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiosity, has Blizzard said what their reasoning is for making the rotation a mystery?.
    More RNG, obviously. (or to keep you subbed?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    The amount of logs is irrelevant.
    Only thing that matters is actual players.

Ironically, no one logs normal or LFR, despite them probably being the same difficulty as BWL.

That's the issue.
    Classic is all elitists who think parse culture matters, and BFA is all serious people trying to actually get better every time they play.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    you're using a single day as basis for your argument? come back to me once you have a week of data and then that will be worth looking at.
    There's 23135 unique guild clears in BWL classic.

There's 20 208 unique Ny'Alotha clears between HC, Mythic and Normal

If assuming that there are 25 characters per raid on average on retail (the cap on heroic), that there is 0 overlap between HC and NM player interaction, that amounts to 500k~ characters.

If assuming that each classic raid contains about 38 characters per average, then the number of classic characters comes out to 880k players.

Factoring in that a lot of retail guilds who clear higher difficulties will also clear lower difficulties atleast once on their guild ID. Combined with that most guilds on Classic are running as close to 40 people per raid, it amounts to way more people actually doing raid content per tier than retail right now, across the entire tier but also just daily.

This was explicitly not meant to be an argument for retail vs classic, as I said, it could explain your missing MAUs if classic has almost double the amount of raiders on it than retail.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-06-03 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    Yeah, so you will be able to get to the max level in 6 hours instead of 10. Big deal. Besides, all the rental stuff will have to be returned sooner or later, and it's going to be real fun to ding and suddenly do 50% less damage. Either way, no one in their right mind is going to spend hours farming echoes for essences just so that they can roflstomp shadowlands leveling - it's not going to take more than several hours anyway.

The PVP reciepe, legacy pvp gear, titanic residuum and legion leggo vendors say hi
    I guess im not in my right mind..

Because im definetly going to spend a bunch of echoes on wichever spec looks the strongest to level with on alpha/beta.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    That data is very suspect. Back to corruptions though, I assume if they put all the corruptions in the vendor all at once it would just make people grab all the corruptions and well when they do they call it a year and go bye bye. They sorta have to make sure there's a *carrot* to go after. I'm not a fan of the corruption system by any means(the negative effect annoys me) but I see why they used a rotation. I don't think its really worth getting a bunch of corruptions for SL leveling, the lack of HoA and Azerite armor stuff is probably the biggest power drop when we're leveling up.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well... they either had some higher purpose in mind for that or... they did not see it coming that players could possibly complain about YET ANOTHER thind

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That data is very suspect. Back to corruptions though, I assume if they put all the corruptions in the vendor all at once it would just make people grab all the corruptions and well when they do they call it a year and go bye bye. They sorta have to make sure there's a *carrot* to go after. I'm not a fan of the corruption system by any means(the negative effect annoys me) but I see why they used a rotation. I don't think its really worth getting a bunch of corruptions for SL leveling, the lack of HoA and Azerite armor stuff is probably the biggest power drop when we're leveling up.
    i have a feeling they didnt add them all because of the fact that some people had thousands of echoes and some people had none. instead of resetting the currency they are just drip feeding us the corruptions twice a week. once they have gone through the 4 week cycle i wouldnt be surprised if they all went up on the vendor permanently.

The real reason they have a rotation is, obviously, so people keep playing longer. OMG I need that Rank 3 Corruption but it's in 2 weeks and my subscription runs out in 5 days! Ah fuck it, play another month.

And keeping it vague makes that even more likely - hmm my sub runs out in 5 days but I MIGHT get my Corruption in 2 weeks...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The real reason they have a rotation is, obviously, so people keep playing longer. OMG I need that Rank 3 Corruption but it's in 2 weeks and my subscription runs out in 5 days! Ah fuck it, play another month.
    Why would people stay subbed for a corruption if they aren't going to play? Buffing your character with a corruption has absolutely no benefit if you aren't playing anymore. I can't really envision a person that says "I dont want to play this game anymore, but I'm going to pay for another month so I can buy this buff, and then I will cancel my sub." It's not like, say, some special promotion reward where if you come back someday it will still have value. Corruptions literally only are useful to characters that are playing the remainder of this expansion.

In any case, even if there are people out there who feel this way, they can't be significant in number. I know I personally don't care about what buffs I could be getting in games I'm not playing or planning to play. I'm not sure why WoW would be any different.

And keeping it vague makes that even more likely - hmm my sub runs out in 5 days but I MIGHT get my Corruption in 2 weeks...
    I don't really think that is the case. Even if a hypothetical person wants to buy the buff before they cancel their subscription, it doesn't really matter if they know it's in two weeks or they don't, if their plan is to cancel once they get it. It's still the same time frame whether they know or not. Obfuscating the schedule doesn't drag out subscriptions any. And if that was really the goal, they could put the best corruptions at the very end of the cycle and make the cycle rotate slower or include less options.

Don't get me wrong, I think Blizzard definitely makes design decisions to keep people playing, but I don't think this particular choice accomplishes that.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Why would people stay subbed for a corruption if they aren't going to play? Buffing your character with a corruption has absolutely no benefit if you aren't playing anymore. I can't really envision a person that says "I dont want to play this game anymore, but I'm going to pay for another month so I can buy this buff, and then I will cancel my sub." It's not like, say, some special promotion reward where if you come back someday it will still have value. Corruptions literally only are useful to characters that are playing the remainder of this expansion.

In any case, even if there are people out there who feel this way, they can't be significant in number. I know I personally don't care about what buffs I could be getting in games I'm not playing or planning to play. I'm not sure why WoW would be any different.

I don't really think that is the case. Even if a hypothetical person wants to buy the buff before they cancel their subscription, it doesn't really matter if they know it's in two weeks or they don't, if their plan is to cancel once they get it. It's still the same time frame whether they know or not. Obfuscating the schedule doesn't drag out subscriptions any. And if that was really the goal, they could put the best corruptions at the very end of the cycle and make the cycle rotate slower or include less options.

Don't get me wrong, I think Blizzard definitely makes design decisions to keep people playing, but I don't think this particular choice accomplishes that.
    Releasing every corruption at once would also mean a huge content nerf in a whim across the board (imagine your whole raid showing up in bis corruptions on a nice wednesday/tuesday reset), and they are not quite ready for that. Probably?