Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

The Other Side seems rather...dissapointing

The first time I read that De Other Side was going to be a dungeon in Shadowlands, I was ecstatic. Finally we would get to see the sacred afterlife of all trollkind! We'd be able to go to a realm (albeit a 'pocket' one) where Bwonsamdi ruled like a King over the souls of the past troll Kings/Queens. We'd get to see troll characters who've died centuries ago, such as Zul'jin and even Rastakhan.

But, it wasn't what I though it'd be. I was expecting having to go there because Sylvanas still wants Bwonsamdi's head, and we'll be fighting Nathanos and Sira.

Instead we're getting... a really weird dungeon. For some reason we'll be fighting Hakkar again, but this time he'll be 'dead' forever? .
    It's rather disheartening to have a Lore character such as him being the first boss of a dungeon to me. There's... a Broker in the dungeon? And why are the Manastorms in De Other Side? How'd they get there? Pretty weird to have them in the trollish afterlife. Oh we'll be seeing Mueh'zala for the first time canonically in WoW. It seems to me that he has sort of a presence in Ardenweald itself if his whispers are inspiring Sprites to do chaotic things. It's sad to me that Bwonsamdi ends up destroying him. I know its only Alpha and all this could be subject to change, but I'm not very happy with what they've done with Bwonsamdi's realm. What do you think? Could they have done better, or are you happy with it?

I was think of posting this in the Shadowlands forum, but I chose to go with Lore since I wanted to discuss it from a Lore standpoint
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-06-04 at 03:05 AM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Well spoilers, speculation, and disappointment aside, I can't help but think Blizzard took inspiration on the name "The Other Side" from King Willie in Predator 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think we really have enough substantive story to judge the Other Side just yet. Like all the zone-based dungeons of Shadowlands it seems intrinsically tied to its zone of origin, in this case the Ardenweald, and both it and all Shadowlands content are still decidedly WIP.

The Brokers are pretty much everywhere in the Shadowlands, as well; offering their services and planning something that will probably play a part in later content in the expansion. The events of Shadows Rising are also likely to play a large part in the Other Side's content. So we'll probably know more when the novel becomes available.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Well spoilers, speculation, and disappointment aside, I can't help but think Blizzard took inspiration on the name "The Other Side" from King Willie in Predator 2.

I was thinking more this actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00kEcGh4j8

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I was thinking more this actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00kEcGh4j8
    Potentially, but Predator has the distinction of having come first. lol I mean, I'm sure "The Other Side" has been referred to as a name for the spirit realm before in voodoo circles and superstitious African-French culture, but King Willie comes to mind every time I hear Bwonsamdi or King Rastakhan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Willie's last words before the Predator kills him, "His foundation lie in the holy mountain - Selah" was probably the most oddly chilling moment of that movie, for me.

The Other Side or the Other Kingdom is a prominent feature of Vodou ceremony, as the intermediary world where the loa spirits reside, apart from the physical world yet tied to it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Willie's last words before the Predator kills him, "His foundation lie in the holy mountain - Selah" was probably the most oddly chilling moment of that movie, for me.

The Other Side or the Other Kingdom is a prominent feature of Vodou ceremony, as the intermediary world where the loa spirits reside, apart from the physical world yet tied to it.
    King Willie was just a very memorable character despite being a tertiary character in the overall Predator universe. My favorite line from him was ""You cannot see the eyes of the demon... until he comes calling."

When I see powerful Zandalari and hear them, it invokes the voice of characters like King Willie.

3+ Year Old Account
    Potentially, but Predator has the distinction of having come first. lol I mean, I'm sure "The Other Side" has been referred to as a name for the spirit realm before in voodoo circles and superstitious African-French culture, but King Willie comes to mind every time I hear Bwonsamdi or King Rastakhan.
    It's probably his accent? I haven't seen Predator 2 , (As I really really dislike watching violent movies, especially live action ones)
    but he really reminds me of Bwonsamdi
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-06-04 at 04:12 AM.

The Manastorms showing up is a real kick in the rear as a long-time Darkspear player myself.

How on earth do Gnomes fit into the resting place of my ancestors? I hope we send them to the Maw >: )
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    The Manastorms showing up is a real kick in the rear as a long-time Darkspear player myself.

How on earth do Gnomes fit into the resting place of my ancestors? I hope we send them to the Maw >: )
    Right? My Zandalari character Ahmanet is going to be pissed that two gnomes are in her father's realm too

On another note, I'm glad there's no 'torturous' places in De Other Side. Bwonsamdi doesn't strike me as sadistic or cruel so maybe that's a good thing. He comes across as a kind of 'Dude, you suck! Get outta me sight mon! ' troll Loa to me

(except Zalazane is kind of pinned up in the Necropolis, but I guess that's not as bad compared to being hurt over and over?)
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-06-04 at 08:46 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You showed your dissapointment and concerns in a number of threats already, I realy understand and personally I would love to see Rastakahn and zuljin maybe.. the things is; we dont know shit yet..

Just wait a bit before jumping the wagon way to early.

Also gnomes suck so hopefully we kick them out. Or they are foos for hakkar even better.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-06-04 at 07:51 AM.

Might as well reroll. No one wants to RP with people whose characters are relatives of major lore characters anyways.

(saying this as it seems that this is what OP's all about... RP'ing as a daughter of a major lore character and then the lore not going his/her way)
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-06-04 at 07:59 AM.

Blizzard writers are good in two things, wasting characters and races and turning them into a hot pile of boring garbage. Especially since MoP.

I don't see much issue with gnomes being there. Bwonsamdi doesn't discriminate - his followers go there, sure, but so does anyone a follower of his kills under a deal with him.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I don't see much issue with gnomes being there. Bwonsamdi doesn't discriminate - his followers go there, sure, but so does anyone a follower of his kills under a deal with him.
    Did the Manastorms die in Legion? I think Millificent was a boss in the Violet Hold. Can't remember if she dies though

Bwonsamdi being flexible with who makes deals with him is one of the many reasons I like him. He doesn't care what race you are, he just wants to make a deal

Did the Manastorms die in Legion? I think Millificent was a boss in the Violet Hold. Can't remember if she dies though

Bwonsamdi being flexible with who makes deals with him is one of the many reasons I like him. He doesn't care what race you are, he just wants to make a deal
    She ports away to hunt down her husband.

From the sounds of it their boss-fight is in their workshop...
    They probably conjured up a portal to "Da other side" which we take and by mistake land in their workshop.

Both manastorms survived in-game in legion. the boss shrinks and escapes and millhouse just TP out.

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    Both manastorms survived in-game in legion. the boss shrinks and escapes and millhouse just TP out.
    I would not put it past them that they killed eachother in a weird marital struggle involving an Anti-Personal Squirrel.

I think they are there because they are "Trolls" and have a habbit of appearing in weird places. Like the Naaru Prison that holds interdimensional threats and the Violent Hold.

Dude same. my father showed me the uncut version of Predator 2 when i was like 5 or 6 (good old VHS times), so Willie was the very first "voodoo character" ive ever seen, and since then, every other characters with that theme instantly reminds me of him. His scene was extremely memorable also, the perfect mix between mystic and alien.
    On topic: yeah, the Other Side has at least the potential to be one gigantic waste of potential. That is, if both Mue and Hakkar truly die there. Especially Hakkar. For a character that has been around for so long, and was always kind of a big deal (dude almost wiped out the troll population once+ is the reason blood trolls even exist) to die as the first boss of a dungeon would be a classic blizz fuck-up.
    But, as others already said, its still Alpha and we still know nothing about Hakkars fight, so theres still hope
    Last edited by Houle; 2020-06-04 at 02:06 PM.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Nah, I think they're both alive. But I mostly mean in the general sense that the Other Side having non-trolls in it makes sense.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.