Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Russia arms Libyan civil war

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, it appears the Libyan National Army (the force of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar that controls the vast majority of Libya) have taken delivery of some "new" unmarked MiG-29 fighter jets and Su-24 ground attack jets from a mysterious source.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...200442656.html

Oh also the jets were seen the week before at a Russian air base in Syria lol.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-base-in-syria

This is an important development as the LNA already had the GNA (the force that the USA/etc have been backing since defeating Gadaffi) outnumbered on the ground but now they totally outclass the GNA's air force too. This will be a difficult one to resolve as due to the LNA being the biggest player on the ground they're the ones that the USA/UK/etc are working with against IS in Libya, despite officially supporting their enemy the GNA in the civil war.

A proxy war that has been going on for months and now does so a tad more stealthily (but not much) because of the pandemic. No news on the geopolitical front, some progress on Hafter's part, obligatory double-faced visits from those who have interests in the situation - which are many more than just the US, UK and Russia - there's Turkey, Egypt, Italy, France, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, not to mention the various tribes whose national sport is backstabbing each other - all of this with ISIS still there despite the recent decapitation of al-Baghdadi's alleged designed successor and quaedist factuins pushing from the south and clashing with ISIS's remains, it's really a clusterfuck, being a geopolitical analyst for that area must cause the worst headaches. The only good news I can definitely see is that ISIS and quaedists seem very enthusiastic about slaughtering each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

I saw a lot of funny comments on a Russian military news blog - from "those are most definitely not us, Americans are lying" to "yeah so what everyone does that, gotta oppose whatever Turkey does".

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia is all over Africa. It's basically where they go to field test new ideas.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Russia is all over Africa. It's basically where they go to field test new ideas.
    Russia v China proxy war in Africa when?

We even print his money, of course he buys our jets too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Russia v China proxy war in Africa when?
    They'll take south and we'll take north judging by current arrangements.

Many countries violate the weapons embargo there.

Russia and Turkey are the most blatant ones and should be sanctioned, if things are to start de-escalating
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    I am not defending Russia here, but it really shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone when a country that is sanctioned itself violates the sanctions placed on someone else. Sanctions are a matter of perspective in the first place. For instance, the US recently made an absolutely massive arms sale to Taiwan, which China took great offense to, due to their claim that Taiwan is in open rebellion against Beijing. From China's perspective, that is far worse then giving jets to a faction in Libya.

In short, this is just how the game is played. If the US doesn't like it, they can always go destroy those jets, and there really isn't much Russia can do about it. They got the cash already, so no harm done.

Oh, that's terrible! I wonder how Libya ended up in such a situation that foreign powers can support their own friendly groups in a bid for the rule of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Oh, that's terrible! I wonder how Libya ended up in such a situation that foreign powers can support their own friendly groups in a bid for the rule of the land.
    US paranoid short-sightedness + economic interests of France and the UAE + NATO backing the whole clusterfuck.
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    US paranoid short-sightedness + economic interests of France and the UAE + NATO backing the whole clusterfuck.
    Oh, gosh golly mister! This sounds highly illegal. Where were the international organisations like the UN when that happened? Aren't they supposed to stand for the preservation of human rights?
    Last edited by Dsonsion; 2020-06-04 at 01:27 PM.

Oh, gosh golly mister! This sounds highly illegal. Where were the international organisations lilke the UN when that happened? Aren't they supposed to stand for the preservation of human rights?
    Ignored, smothered, bought, powerless, or a combination thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Ignored, smothered, bought, powerless, or a combination thereof.
    Actually UN Security Council, in rare agreement, had Russia (and China) abstaining from No-Fly-Zone vote at US insistence rather then veto it, thus authorizing it.

Which US and allies promptly used to bomb Libyan army and hunt Gaddafi rather then sticking to agreed upon intervention limits, destroying any remaining trust in US words.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Actually UN Security Council, in rare agreement, had Russia (and China) abstaining from No-Fly-Zone vote at US insistence rather then veto it, thus authorizing it.

Which US and allies promptly used to bomb Libyan army and hunt Gaddafi rather then sticking to agreed upon intervention limits, destroying any remaining trust in US words.
    Darn! Who would have expected that?! And here I was thinking the UN was an organisation that had the best interests of its member countries at heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Haven't seen this mentioned yet, it appears the Libyan National Army (the force of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar that controls the vast majority of Libya) have taken delivery of some "new" unmarked MiG-29 fighter jets and Su-24 ground attack jets from a mysterious source.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...200442656.html

Oh also the jets were seen the week before at a Russian air base in Syria lol.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-base-in-syria

This is an important development as the LNA already had the GNA (the force that the USA/etc have been backing since defeating Gadaffi) outnumbered on the ground but now they totally outclass the GNA's air force too. This will be a difficult one to resolve as due to the LNA being the biggest player on the ground they're the ones that the USA/UK/etc are working with against IS in Libya, despite officially supporting their enemy the GNA in the civil war.
    Interesting choice, mid-level MiG-29s. Not very useful in air-to-ground combat, but overkill for air-to-air (so long as they are armed with AA-10s) against the GNA. On the flip side, they are no match for NATO fighters in air superiority. The Su-24s make sense. Both will need decent support to be useful, and that means (at the least) Russian mercs have to be present.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Interesting choice, mid-level MiG-29s. Not very useful in air-to-ground combat, but overkill for air-to-air (so long as they are armed with AA-10s) against the GNA. On the flip side, they are no match for NATO fighters in air superiority. The Su-24s make sense. Both will need decent support to be useful, and that means (at the least) Russian mercs have to be present.
    From what I understand the Turkish drones became quite the game changers on both the Syria and Lybia theaters, so fighters capable of obliterating those from the sky would be quite desirable.

Given the vast distances, desert terrain and lack of cover, mechanized transport is essential, be it with pick-up trucks or tanks, but those are easy preys for drones, so any offensive would ideally require the drones being shot down or interdicted before the people on the ground move, and only fighter planes have that kind of capability.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Darn! Who would have expected that?! And here I was thinking the UN was an organisation that had the best interests of its member countries at heart.
    Well, as far as UN is concerned, every country is equal... but some are more equal the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Not like the UN was ever given any power to stop any country.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Not like the UN was ever given any power to stop any country.
    I wonder how UN could possible do that? No no, go ahead and tell me, I want to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    From what I understand the Turkish drones became quite the game changers on both the Syria and Lybia theaters, so fighters capable of obliterating those from the sky would be quite desirable.

Given the vast distances, desert terrain and lack of cover, mechanized transport is essential, be it with pick-up trucks or tanks, but those are easy preys for drones, so any offensive would ideally require the drones being shot down or interdicted before the people on the ground move, and only fighter planes have that kind of capability.
    There are much more cost effective platforms to counter drones with. The Su-24 has sufficient anti-air capability (cannon and short range IR missiles) to clear out UAVs, and a much longer loiter capability than the notoriously short legged MiG-29.