Poll: Do you believe a government is good.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

3 things you think government should do?

What it should do.
    1. Organize a greater union for all.
    2. Protect its citizens.
    3. Represent the best of people.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

What it should do.
    2. Protect its citizens.
    I'm pretty sure you are some early stage AI sent here to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    I'm pretty sure you are some early stage AI sent here to learn.
    He said earlier he's retired so having absolutely nothing to do is understandable, but makes me question if I want a retirement at all

When i look to my own life then i am happy with a very small government.

Ofc when i get robed then i will call the police and i use the road system with my car.
    But otherwise i am happy for them to not stick their nose into my own buisness and tell me what i can or cant do.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Leave
    2. Me
    3. Alone

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

What it should do.
    2. Protect its citizens.
    1. The US has already organized a union for all.
    2. No government can protect it's citizens 100% of the time. Which is why in the US, we have the Second Amendment.
    3. The government should represent all of the people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    He said earlier he's retired so having absolutely nothing to do is understandable, but makes me question if I want a retirement at all
    I can't speak for everyone, but I been retired for years and I love it. All the years I worked, made sacrifices and planned for retirement early, has paid off. Big time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

1. Serve the public trust
    2. Protect the innocent
    3. Uphold the law
    4. Any attempt to arrest a senior officer of OCP results in shutdown
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I would say it would need to have a very fluid institutionality and be very adaptable to what communities need, instead of being an obstacle for them.

1) Represent and organize the people's interests,
    2) manage and protect a society order that promotes human flourishment and well-being
    3) and overall be as transparent as possible.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

1. ensure that all people are treated equally and fairly
    2. be completely transparent and subject to oversight to minimise abuse and corruption
    3. use intelligence

so far I've yet to see any evidence of any government accomplishing any of the above

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    1. ensure that all people are treated equally and fairly
    2. be completely transparent and subject to oversight to minimise abuse and corruption
    3. use intelligence

so far I've yet to see any evidence of any government accomplishing any of the above
    Because point number 1 is impossible...

most things that should be are impossible, that shouldn't stop us from striving to get as close to perfection as we can. if you want to be pedantic (which I can't blame, I often am myself) then I should have said "attempt to ensure"

Quote Originally Posted by KingConquer View Post
    1. Leave
    2. Me
    3. Alone
    Found the edgy libertarian
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

1. Leave
    2. Me
    3. Alone
    This pretty much. I think the government should do the absolute minimum as long as the essential services and infrastructure is functioning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Found the edgy libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    This pretty much. I think the government should do the absolute minimum as long as the essential services and infrastructure is functioning.

A tale of two takes.

A tale of two takes.
    Why is this "Edgy" though? I guess I could have been more specific but this gets the point across.

The government is run by people so even if they initially have good intentions, the more power it has, the easier it will get corrupt. Ideally it should stay out of your bedroom, your wallet, not control your speech and just do what it's supposed to. Keep the country running and help protect said freedoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this "Edgy" though? I guess I could have been more specific but this gets the point across.

The government is run by people so even if they initially have good intentions, the more power it has, the easier it will get corrupt. Ideally it should stay out of your bedroom, your wallet, not control your speech and just do what it's supposed to. Keep the country running and help protect said freedoms.

I am in agreement with you though.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Education, Welfare and Medicine
    2. Uphold order and security
    3. Drive strong economy

Do these 3 and the rest will follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

In concept, sure, it sounds great. But it always breaks down under the messy details of reality.

Example: In your ideal world, where the government focuses on leaving you alone, a large company decides it would be profitable to mine the zinc deposits near your home. It further decides that the most cost efficient method of disposing of the waste products it to dump it into the local river system. Within a few months, the river smells like toilet cleaner, and your well water is blistering your stomach.

Who should stop this? This isn't really an extreme example, this actually happens in many countries, and it used to happen all over the US and Europe too. In West Virginia it still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    In concept, sure, it sounds great. But it always breaks down under the messy details of reality.

Example: In your ideal world, where the government focuses on leaving you alone, a large company decides it would be profitable to mine the zinc deposits near your home. It further decides that the most cost efficient method of disposing of the waste products it to dump it into the local river system. Within a few months, the river smells like toilet cleaner, and your well water is blistering your stomach.

Who should stop this? This isn't really an extreme example, this actually happens in many countries, and it used to happen all over the US and Europe too. In West Virginia it still does.
    Who uses well water in 2020? But in any case, this would fall under the governments role as said company would only have the right to dump waste on their own property. If they are dumping it into the river, its basically the same as shooting a gun in your house. Yes, you're doing it on your own property but as long as the bullets can fly off your property and harm others, the government should step in.

This would simply be under the protection of citizens rights. A small government simply means it shouldn't play big brother.