Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadowpriest corruptions

So now that corruptions are buyable the question is what do we aim for
    9 stacks of infinite star or a mixture of racing pulse,sever and expedient

I imagine we just sim whats best, probably some combination of sever, gushing, twilight D depending on the fight or the corruptions you said for spread cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    I imagine we just sim whats best, probably some combination of sever, gushing, twilight D depending on the fight or the corruptions you said for spread cleave.
    go for rank12 severe and rank 6 expedient, that should do the trick to start with

As for now, with the gushing wound nerfs, its just Expedient and Severe-stack I guess?

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Stacking Severe and Expedient seems to be the best option. It's the most DPS per corruption you can get.

Don't necessarily stack 12 Severe and 6 Expedient as Flashforcash says though. How many of each you want is going to depend on what gear you have. This may be good for him but it may not be good for you. Your gear may favor a 9/9 or other split.
    Last edited by Venara; 2020-05-24 at 07:06 PM.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

15+ Year Old Account
    As example to what Venara said, I'm ~480 item level and I peak around ~125% Crit Chance off my highest Voidforms, due to Chorus of Insanity stacks.
    Crit above 100% is useless, so I'd actually like to swap to more Expedient at this point, and less Severe.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Warcraft priests discord has some sims done for corruptions its updated post gushing wound nerf
    https://warcraftpriests.com/no-limit...shadow-priest/

that is a link to their findings you can join the warcraft priests discord also for more its open to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    As example to what Venara said, I'm ~480 item level and I peak around ~125% Crit Chance off my highest Voidforms, due to Chorus of Insanity stacks.
    Crit above 100% is useless, so I'd actually like to swap to more Expedient at this point, and less Severe.
    Strikethrough, and racial +2%, would it go far with the 100% crit?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea I thought the same thing and tried a few a strikethrough/crit builds, but it never worked out better than more Expedient.

Not too surprising, Expedient means more crits versus bigger crits, but it also means more everything for Shadow, and because of all the other multiplicative haste effects, haste ~always comes out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Yea I thought the same thing and tried a few a strikethrough/crit builds, but it never worked out better than more Expedient.

Not too surprising, Expedient means more crits versus bigger crits, but it also means more everything for Shadow, and because of all the other multiplicative haste effects, haste ~always comes out on top.
    Strikethrough dosnt Work on SA another Reason Why if sux for SP

15+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh! That might help explain it yes, thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    Late to the party, as always. I see a number of recommendations (various sites) for expedient/severe stacking. Yet those sites also rate Infinite Stars as top DPS for shadow. On that basis, why aren't we being advised to add at least one max infinite stars? Is it the much higher purchase price, or something else?
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury View Post
    Late to the party, as always. I see a number of recommendations (various sites) for expedient/severe stacking. Yet those sites also rate Infinite Stars as top DPS for shadow. On that basis, why aren't we being advised to add at least one max infinite stars? Is it the much higher purchase price, or something else?
    There aren't that many encounters in which Infinite Stars is good. The more multiple targets up and the longer they are up, *and* the shorter the encounter, the worse Infinite Stats gets.

If you're a gear-maximizer and you have an Infinite Stars set for those rare encounters in which it's good, that's fine, but most players shouldn't even bother with that, tying up several inventory slots with gear that is rarely used.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury View Post
    When it comes to corruption, it’s not DPS per proc that matters. It’s average DPS per point of corruption. IS 3 is useless outside of single target bosses, and adds 75 corruption. Why not stack a bunch of Expedient/Severe 3 at 25 or 35 corruption each (or whatever the value is) and increase your haste and crit by 50% instead?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    When it comes to corruption, it’s not DPS per proc that matters. It’s average DPS per point of corruption. IS 3 is useless outside of single target bosses, and adds 75 corruption. Why not stack a bunch of Expedient/Severe 3 at 25 or 35 corruption each (or whatever the value is) and increase your haste and crit by 50% instead?
    And on top of this, Infinite Stars is also incredibly random. I've had single target fights, like Shad'har, where it procs only 4 times, sometimes up to ~15 times, etc. Point is, you're never guaranteed to get full value out of it. You either get lucky or you don't. The same applies to Twilight Devastation and Twisted Appendage. Sometimes you get those insane fights where they chain-proc without end, sometimes you get totally stiffed.

Expedient and Severe, on the other hand, are literally up 100% of the time. You just get the full value without having to rely on luck. On average, stacking these two will net you more value in all situations, not just those your corruptions cater to (IS being mostly useless outside pure single target, for example).

The best option for reliable DPS is stacking these with 1 Gushing Wound.

If it doesn't make sense yet, look at this graph for DPS per corruption:
    https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#p...ruption_rating

A single IS 3 effect is worth 187.347 at 75 corruption.
    A single Severe 3 is worth 170.05 at 20 corruption.

For just about the same corruption as one IS3, you can stack 4x Severe 3 and get a value of 680.2 DPS per corruption as opposed to just 187.

As pointed out later in the thread, this is not accurate. The rest of my post is still valid though. Infinite Stars may provide stricly more DPS per corruption but, on average, there are very few good fights for it and even on those the value is very RNG.
    Last edited by Venara; 2020-06-08 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    There aren't that many encounters in which Infinite Stars is good. The more multiple targets up and the longer they are up, *and* the shorter the encounter, the worse Infinite Stats gets.

If you're a gear-maximizer and you have an Infinite Stars set for those rare encounters in which it's good, that's fine, but most players shouldn't even bother with that, tying up several inventory slots with gear that is rarely used.
    I have a terrible tendency to hoard gear so nearly every single one of my toons has its inventory filled to the brim with Corrupted gear. The worst is my Druid since I play all four specs. I think I have close to 60 different pieces of Corrupted gear on that toon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    And on top of this, Infinite Stars is also incredibly random. I've had single target fights, like Shad'har, where it procs only 4 times, sometimes up to ~15 times, etc. Point is, you're never guaranteed to get full value out of it. You either get lucky or you don't. The same applies to Twilight Devastation and Twisted Appendage. Sometimes you get those insane fights where they chain-proc without end, sometimes you get totally stiffed.

Expedient and Severe, on the other hand, are literally up 100% of the time. You just get the full value without having to rely on luck. On average, stacking these two will net you more value in all situations, not just those your corruptions cater to (IS being mostly useless outside pure single target, for example).

The best option for reliable DPS is stacking these with 1 Gushing Wound.

For just about the same corruption as one IS3, you can stack 4x Severe 3 and get a value of 680.2 DPS per corruption as opposed to just 187.
    This is great information. Just throwing out there: Perhaps it's a vestige of playing WoD Arcane but IS is a great playstyle if you're somebody who covets the "God pull." I don't raid normally anymore but if I did I'd probably go IS for farm content one week a month just to see if I get lucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    This is great information. Just throwing out there: Perhaps it's a vestige of playing WoD Arcane but IS is a great playstyle if you're somebody who covets the "God pull." I don't raid normally anymore but if I did I'd probably go IS for farm content one week a month just to see if I get lucky.
    It is really fun to just stack it and get those insane logs when you do get lucky. Currently you can even stack as much as 2x IS 3 while staying under 60 corruption.

At the end of the day, we're at the end of the expansion and everybody should play what they think is fun unless someone is really stil gearing towards particular goals. I've played a fair share of TD in M+ just because it's a lot of fun to see the beams completely annihilate groups of mobs. Generally speaking, these effects are all certainly a lot more fun than passive stat stacking. This post is primarily about the pure theory of what is technically better and will net more DPS on average.

Personally, I'll probably still swap in some TD for M+ every now and again just for the lolz.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks so much everyone for the really helpful input. I'm so glad I asked before making that purchase. Cheers!
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post

Thats actually not how the math works on that , 4x severes are still 170.05dps/corruption. (bloodmallet has updated numbers but im using yours)
    IS is 75*187.027 = 14k
    Severes are 4*20*170.05=13.6k
    I not arguing against using severes over stars, theres like 2 fights where stars is good (football/doggo), just pointing out flaw in your reasoning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whoops, thanks for point that out I'll make a note in the post so future readers will not need to read the rest of the thread to learn that.