Looking for recommendations: Upgrade ~1000-1500€ photo-/video editing

Hey there,

I am currently looking to upgrade my old build and I hope to find some help and input here.

I know that parts a relatively expensive at the moment and I know that there are new GPUs and maybe CPUs on the horizion. But let us pretend that I need to upgrade in the next couple of weeks

I´d like to start talking about my current build so that you know what I will be comparing the new one with.

My build at the moment:

A couple of years back I thought it would be fun to mod my own case and went kinda all out on this one. I modded a Enthoo Prime with a custom EK loop and I also put a lot of time into overclocking.

What I ended up with was:

i7 4770k @4,6 Ghz
    16 GB DD3 2400 CL9
    2 GTX 770 Gainward Phantom @1300 GPU and 1900@ RAM
    MB: MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    PSU: bequiet Dark Power Pro 850W

About 2 years ago there was a little accident involving my build falling from a table. I did not have the time to redo the loop.

I switched to a basic case, and only put in 1 GTX 770 without any OC and slapped on a Noctua NH-D14.

After a lot of problems I removed the OC from the RAM, too.

By now a few of the USB ports are broken, the onboard sound no longer works and I a getting the occasional blue screen.

I know that I can possibly fix a few of those problems but I am ready to upgrade anyway because I am working with a sony 7RIV now and those files take some power to process and I upgraded my screens to 4k.

I did not follow the development in the hardware department within the last years so I need your help

What I am looking for with my new build:

I am an ethusiast hobby photo- and vidographer.
    The new build is mainly for editing pictues with LR/PS and video partly in 4K with Premiere/After Effects.
    Regarding Games I am only playing World of Warcraft so this should be of no concern with the build.

I´d like to record some of my editing, too.

And I am running 2 4K Screens.

What would you guys recommend for the following parts:

CPU
    MB
    GPU
    RAM

I do not want to go into overclocking again.
    I just want the parts to be powerfull enough out of the box and last my for a few years into the future.

Regarding the MB:

I will be using 2 nvme SSDs and I want the option to add a sound and network card.

I am ready to spend up to 1000-1500€. But I do not have to spend that much

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Thank you!

Sams
    Last edited by Sámsa; 2020-06-07 at 09:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend to wait for the new cpu and gpu's.
    Then you get a 4700(x) or 4900(x) + B550 (Gigabyte or MSI) + BigNavi (AMD) + 32 GB RAM.
    Edit: The suppose to come arround September.
    Last edited by Azerox; 2020-06-07 at 09:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like this maybe:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (€427.99 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (€223.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€321.92 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (€246.89 @ Alternate)
    Total: €1220.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-07 11:23 CEST+0200

I'm not sure exactly how much GPU power you need, maybe some workload you have can be CUDA - accelerated? Anyways feel free to pick a more powerful GPU if you think you need it. That said there are new generations of GPU's coming towards the end of the summer or autumn so it's not the best time to invest in expensive GPU's right now.

You can re-use your D14 cooler, you probably have to buy an AM4 mounting kit for it though but they're pretty cheap and easy to find .

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Then you get a 4700(x) or 4900(x) + B550 (Gigabyte or MSI) + BigNavi (AMD) + 32 GB RAM.
    Is there an ETA for those?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (€223.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€321.92 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (€246.89 @ Alternate)

I'm not sure exactly how much GPU power you need, maybe some workload you have can be CUDA - accelerated?
    I'd probably suggest a 2060 instead of the 1660S, and maybe drop down to 32gb. But yeah, Adobe software supports CUDA, and scales really well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    CPUs might be in the November/December timeframe, with only the APUs launching in September.

Also, any reason you suggest Big Navi instead of Nvidia 3000? You know, especially considering OP is working with Adobe software, which has CUDA acceleration. While it also supports OpenCL, CUDA rendering fucking destroys it on performance. At least last I checked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sámsa View Post
    Is there an ETA for those?
    September-ish for GPUs.

November-March for CPUs, *maybe* September. We don't really know

Thanks for all the input.

November/December is really too late.
    I might consider waiting for the nvidia 3000s but prices will be heavy.

I might go with a 2060 or 2070.

And 32GB should be sufficient.

I will be using 2 nvme SSDs and I want the option to add a sound and network card.
    NVME
    RYZEN CPUs only support 1 NVME direct to the CPU (4x PCI-E lanes) the additional NVMEs go over the PCH (Chipset) and it will cause bottlenecking because the PCH itself is only connected with 4x PCI-E lanes to the CPU. Using a second NVME locks all PCI-E lanes on most mainboards, so you can't use additional PCI-E cards (network, audio). You options are 1 NVME (CPU) and going with SATA storage or 1 NVME and using a PCI-E NVME-HUB slot card or high-speed storage card.

LAN
    Some mainboard offer Intel-G-LAN chips that might be sufficient for your needs, just avoid 2.5G LAN from intel and netgear if possible, both got major issues (in silicon) and was only solved after the release of the B550 boards. Intel was to late with the fixes, thats why you get so many Netgear 2.5G LAN in premium B550 mainboards, premium is usualy the more expensive Intel chip.

AUDIO
    With audio you might want to checkout some USB options, going farther away with your audio from your mainboard is still the best way to avoid interferences.

STORAGE
    It depends how much data you got with photo/video editing, but with the extreme NVME/SSD prices you might end up with a MIN-budget that would be enough for smaller NAS-solutions. I don't know if you allready got some NAS solution for external backups, but otherwise you could lookup some Backup+Workfolder solutions that should be fast enough for your needs - 10G-LAN + ~700-800MB/s NAS solutions are the standard right now. With this in mind you could get a mainboard with 10G LAN as a feature (PREMIUM segment)
    -

I might consider waiting for the nvidia 3000s but prices will be heavy.
    Only if there is a supply constraint.

MSRPs are almost assuredly going to be the same as the current GPUs in each bracket +/- 20$ or so (mostly manufacturing cost increases).

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    NVME
    RYZEN CPUs only support 1 NVME direct to the CPU (4x PCI-E lanes) the additional NVMEs go over the PCH (Chipset) and it will cause bottlenecking because the PCH itself is only connected with 4x PCI-E lanes to the CPU. Using a second NVME locks all PCI-E lanes on most mainboards, so you can't use additional PCI-E cards (network, audio). You options are 1 NVME (CPU) and going with SATA storage or 1 NVME and using a PCI-E NVME-HUB slot card or high-speed storage card.

LAN
    Some mainboard offer Intel-G-LAN chips that might be sufficient for your needs, just avoid 2.5G LAN from intel and netgear if possible, both got major issues (in silicon) and was only solved after the release of the B550 boards. Intel was to late with the fixes, thats why you get so many Netgear 2.5G LAN in premium B550 mainboards, premium is usualy the more expensive Intel chip.

AUDIO
    With audio you might want to checkout some USB options, going farther away with your audio from your mainboard is still the best way to avoid interferences.

STORAGE
    It depends how much data you got with photo/video editing, but with the extreme NVME/SSD prices you might end up with a MIN-budget that would be enough for smaller NAS-solutions. I don't know if you allready got some NAS solution for external backups, but otherwise you could lookup some Backup+Workfolder solutions that should be fast enough for your needs - 10G-LAN + ~700-800MB/s NAS solutions are the standard right now. With this in mind you could get a mainboard with 10G LAN as a feature (PREMIUM segment)
    Thank you! I did not know the part about nvme. I will go with 1TB NVME and the rest will be SATA SSD. I got a server running @Home with a looooot of space. So the PC only has the files of the last couple of month on it.

Regarding LAN and Audio, I worte that part mainly because I wanted suggestions for MBs that have additional PCI slots. Simply because I had broken onboard LANs/driver issues and broken onboard audio in the past and I do not want to close the door on just slapping in an extra card when any issues arise.

What would your suggestion for a MB with 10G Lan be?
    I never use WIFI with my PC btw.

EDIT: I just looked around myself and MB with 10G Lan are waaaay out of what I am willing to pay

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

PCPartPicker Part List

I'm not sure exactly how much GPU power you need, maybe some workload you have can be CUDA - accelerated? Anyways feel free to pick a more powerful GPU if you think you need it. That said there are new generations of GPU's coming towards the end of the summer or autumn so it's not the best time to invest in expensive GPU's right now.

You can re-use your D14 cooler, you probably have to buy an AM4 mounting kit for it though but they're pretty cheap and easy to find .
    Hey is there a specific reason why you recommended the Corsair with CL18?
    I am asking because there are Ripjaws or Tridents with CL16.
    Last edited by Sámsa; 2020-06-08 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    NVME
    This depends highly on which chipset you're referring to. X570 has a PCI-E 4.0 x4 link between CPU and chipset, any bottlenecking with that link is practically not really going to happen even if you're using several NVME SSD's. You'd need some very specific, long, sequential workloads to use all the available bandwidth for a NVME device.

Other AM4 chipsets use a PCI-E 3.0 x4 cpu - chipset link which is easier to saturate but can still handle 2 NVME devices without much bottlenecking (although generally boards with those chipsets allocates PCI-E lanes in such a way that a 2nd m.2 slot generally doesn't get more than a x2 PCI-E link)

Intel still uses DMI 3.0 as a CPU - chipset link which is roughly equal bandwidth to PCI-E 3.0 x4. Current Intel CPU's however only have 16 PCI-E lanes + DMI 3.0 so any NVME drives connected to an Intel system goes through the chipset. At this point you can start talking about a bottleneck if you use more than 1 NVME PCI-E 3.0 device.

Hey is there a specific reason why you recommended the Corsair with CL18?
    I am asking because there are Ripjaws or Tridents with CL16.
    No it was just a lot cheaper. CL16 is better.

@Shakadam
    We dont have to make assumptions. The bandwith limitations with NVME over PCH are tested and I didnt even mention the latency issues with NVME's over the chipset.

Intels 10.gen is a lot worse and the only option for CPU-NVME connection is to half the GPU bandwith to 8x. Intel users don't even have a real option for CPU-NVME till 11. gen with CPU's actually having more than just 16x PCI-E lanes.
    -

Thanks to all of you. The input was very helpful and I decided to go for the following parts:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite AMD X570
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16 (might go for the Ripjaws that are 20€ cheaper)
    8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070SUPER GAMING OC
    1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus (the PRO is most likely a little too much. Maybe I add a pro later)

That brings me to 1560€. A little over budget but I always went for the x70 series with my NVIDIA GPUs and those held up for quit some time. Might also be a case of GAS

As this is essentially an Adobe build I would drop any thoughts of high core counts. That software just doesnt scale. It does scale with frequency and all kinds of GPUs (including Intel IGPs) so Intel is ideal here, but considering the budget just go with 3700X + 32gig of cheapest Micron memory and invest into the biggest GPU and storage you can get. 2060 (EVGA KO preferably) is a minimum. Steer clear off PCI-e 4.0 SSDs though - controllers are still very unreliable for professional use, which makes 100% backuping a must, at which point you're just better off with a NAS on a 10gbit net. You dont have the budget for that though, so it's better to sacrifice some speed here.

- - - Updated - - -

1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus (the PRO is most likely a little too much. Maybe I add a pro later)
    I wouldnt recommend that for professional use. Pro exists for a reasons, EVOs just die if used 24/7.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks to all of you. The input was very helpful and I decided to go for the following parts:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite AMD X570
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16 (might go for the Ripjaws that are 20€ cheaper)
    8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070SUPER GAMING OC

That brings me to 1560€. A little over budget but I always went for the x70 series with my NVIDIA GPUs and those held up for quit some time. Might also be a case of GAS
    This. 8GB VRAM is tbf a minimum for AE/Resolve usage (which you don't use). Now with the latest release of adobe support for GPU rendering, this is even more so. I would also recommend:

SSD: OS
    NVME: Scratch
    HDD: Footage (unless you have cash to spend for another SSD).

Look at Puget systems and their setups, they are usually bang on when it comes optimising for video editing and actually do comprehensive tests to support their suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I wouldnt recommend that for professional use. Pro exists for a reasons, EVOs just die if used 24/7.
    Not necessarily. If you write/delete large RAW files, then the PROs might make sense, but you would have to write A LOT of data weekly.

I have EVO drives and work with Blackmagic RAW and thus far used around 10TBs of 150TB rated endurance. If you are using DSLRs, it will be a VERY long time before PRO actually makes sense.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Nah they're fine. They don't have the same write endurance as the Pro model, but it should be more than fine for what OP is doing, at least for a couple years.

@Shakadam
    We dont have to make assumptions. The bandwith limitations with NVME over PCH are tested and I didnt even mention the latency issues with NVME's over the chipset.
    Latency issues aside, you won't be hammering an SSD at full load constantly. Hell, you won't be hammering an NVMe SSD at full load *ever* outside of benchmarking or moving large files pretty much. Their speeds are pointless

Intels 10.gen is a lot worse and the only option for CPU-NVME connection is to half the GPU bandwith to 8x. Intel users don't even have a real option for CPU-NVME till 11. gen with CPU's actually having more than just 16x PCI-E lanes.
    But GPUs are fine at 8x gen3 lanes.. Literally only the 2080ti starts to lose performance, and even then it's in the 1-2% range over a x16 slot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Look at Puget systems and their setups, they are usually bang on when it comes optimising for video editing and actually do comprehensive tests to support their suggestions.
    Yeah, Puget is fantastic when it comes to workstations, but pretty expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, Puget is fantastic when it comes to workstations, but pretty expensive.
    Indeed, but you can just see the thinking behind the systems or just copy the systems themselfs. Lot of reading material too for those that want to build a machine that is best suited for the tasks.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Indeed, but you can just see the thinking behind the systems or just copy the systems themselfs. Lot of reading material too for those that want to build a machine that is best suited for the tasks.
    I will do that thanks.
    But I will skip Intel for this build I think.