10 21.74%

6 13.04%
  • Left lane means no speedlimit!!

6 13.04%
  • I keep to rightlane

10 21.74%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    In dual lanes the right lane is the "driving lane" and the left land is the "overtaking lane" if a driver in the "driving lane" is driving under the speed limit or isn't able to keep a stable speed, in the case that the "driving lane" is filled with traffing the "overtaking lane" becomes a second "driving lane". Regardless of the situation the speed limit is the speed limit, I would argue that if you're using the "overtaking lane" to overtake someone then you can drive slightly above the speed limit for a short amount of time to get back into the "driving lane" but then come back down to the speed limit as soon as it's safe to do so.
    ...and this should go without saying, if the "driving lane" has haulted to a crawl speed and the "overtaking lane" is clear: BE CAUTIOUS! An accident may have happened up ahead and while it looks clear to go at the speed limit, what if someone pulls out into the lane you're driving on or if there's traffic lined up around the corner. ALWAYS drive according to the situation and conditions, traffic slowed down ...might be a good reason for it, you slow down too!
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    dont do it man, not worth it.
    Yeah, that's as far as I was going to take that statement.

tell you what if you really think you are that safe how about to tell a police officer that youd block a speeder in the left lane with your car. since you are a proponent of freedom and all. lemme know how that goes.
    I witnessed, first hand, someone blocking traffic in the left lane when the right lane was crawling in the early stages of rush hour (Norway). Guy in the left lane drove right next to me, holding up traffic to make the "crawl" the same speed in the left lane and the right lane. This guy waved at us, cheered with his fist raised and was super pleased with himself holding up traffic and keeping the "crawl speed" the same for everyone. What he didn't know was that he held up a undercover police car 3 vehicles behind him, when the blue lights and sirens came on ...man, if there ever was a time to film (I was the passanger) and capture this guys expression. What made it better was that he had to speed up with the police car now right behind him, him and the police car disappeared into the distance ...but not for good! After the traffic had opened up (after a tunnel) we noticed a lot of cars were driving up to one of the exit ramps, where we saw the police car and the guy who held up traffic parked into a bus stop. Literally hundreds of cars drove up the ramp (and down the other side) to clap and laugh at the guy being shouted at by the police and probably fined for breaking some laws.
    To this day it remains one of the best experiences I've had in a car, including sex. I laughed so hard I peed my self a little, it's so funny when people suffer instant karma when they are so pleased with their stupidity at the beginning.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    I witnessed, first hand, someone blocking traffic in the left lane when the right lane was crawling in the early stages of rush hour (Norway). Guy in the left lane drove right next to me, holding up traffic to make the "crawl" the same speed in the left lane and the right lane. This guy waved at us, cheered with his fist raised and was super pleased with himself holding up traffic and keeping the "crawl speed" the same for everyone. What he didn't know was that he held up a undercover police car 3 vehicles behind him,
    What happens if the cop is 20 vehicles behind him?
    Even the cop cannot do anything to him !

The reason you enjoyed is because it is rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    I witnessed, first hand, someone blocking traffic in the left lane when the right lane was crawling in the early stages of rush hour (Norway). Guy in the left lane drove right next to me, holding up traffic to make the "crawl" the same speed in the left lane and the right lane. This guy waved at us, cheered with his fist raised and was super pleased with himself holding up traffic and keeping the "crawl speed" the same for everyone. What he didn't know was that he held up a undercover police car 3 vehicles behind him, when the blue lights and sirens came on ...man, if there ever was a time to film (I was the passanger) and capture this guys expression. What made it better was that he had to speed up with the police car now right behind him, him and the police car disappeared into the distance ...but not for good! After the traffic had opened up (after a tunnel) we noticed a lot of cars were driving up to one of the exit ramps, where we saw the police car and the guy who held up traffic parked into a bus stop. Literally hundreds of cars drove up the ramp (and down the other side) to clap and laugh at the guy being shouted at by the police and probably fined for breaking some laws.
    To this day it remains one of the best experiences I've had in a car, including sex. I laughed so hard I peed my self a little, it's so funny when people suffer instant karma when they are so pleased with their stupidity at the beginning.
    that sounds so wholesome, ngl.

i had a similar experience here (unfortunately without the ticketing).

was on my way to sarnia from toronto for the weekend, friend has a nice house on lake huron. and somewhere a little past cambridge on the 401, we get to a block in traffic. now this is highly unusual. because this a 3 lane highway, speed limit is 100 but people generally go 120 and its like no mans land. No big cities between cambridge and woodstock on the 401. So at this point in the highway, 18 wheelers are comfy sitting in the far right lane, crusing and general traffic is in the middle lane maintaining at 100 < x < 120. Left lane with the occassional hogger who is just unaware but moves over when someone comes behind.

We got up close and pulled up behind a car in the left lane. when the height changed on a turn we see a dodge caravan wayyyyyyyy up at the front blocking the left going a dead 100kph, right along with the guy in the right hand lane a jeep wrangler with those open door types (relevant later), 3 cars behind him and then us in the 4th car.

Eventually the Jeep guy in the right lane gets tired of the shit of the dude holding people up in the left, so he backs off the throttle and waves the guy behind the blocker out, who takes the opportunity quickly and moves into the space made at the right and passes the lane hog on his right. same with the 2 cars behind him and then us. And i kid you not, each of those 3 cars pulled down their window and gave the guy a finger as they passed him on the right.

good memory in my head. 3 f yous simultaneously to that doofus from 3 separate drivers.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

Yes, it's rare when it happens...because most people aren't driving in the left lane maliciously. If you're not causing any problems by being in the left lane...cops probably won't bother you.

But if you're doing it just to block people in behind you and they catch you? That's a ticket every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Yes, it's rare when it happens...because most people aren't driving in the left lane maliciously. If you're not causing any problems by being in the left lane...cops probably won't bother you.

But if you're doing it just to block people in behind you and they catch you? That's a ticket every time.
    So does the guy drive 200mph.

What is up with the left lane haters?
    Did you just have a car accident?

So does the guy drive 200mph.

What is up with the left lane haters?
    Did you just have a car accident?
    No...and I'd rather not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I drive 15 under the speed limit in the left lane to make sure no one is around me is speeding.

Just doing my part.
    I'd pass you on the right lane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cops can and will pull you over and ticket you for driving in the lelft lane in Illinois. The left lane is for passing. Not for regulating the speed of other drivers on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Cop would just turn on his lights, everyone between him and his target would pull over to get out of his way. At least that's what would happen here.

Maybe you can actually explain what you mean then...because you have posted that "disallowing" other drivers from speeding is a safer choice than letting them pass.
    The point of the discussion is who is the worse driver - the speeder who is always breaking the law, or the person in the left lane driving the maximum legal speed who is only breaking the law if other lawbreakers are present. I think it is the speeder, who is the cause of all of the danger.

- - - Updated - - -

no its not, aim higher.

though honestly from your posts, it just sounds like youve been getting lucky rather than actually driving safely. you sound like one of those vindictive envious drivers. like:
    1. they have a nicer car, im going to block them
    2. they are speeding, im going to block them
    3. they are parked far away to save their car from dings, that infringes on my freedoms im going to get close to them so i can feel free.

and dont deny it.

in every single post you have used the word "ALLOW" people speeding in the left. Allow how? Do you own that road? Are you the police? You dont AlLoW anything. At best youd be a vigilante. At worst youd be a dangerous party to a crash that might unfortunately take out a 3rd person who isnt you or the speeder.

you wouldnt eh? so how about you go ask a police officer what to do about you AlLoWiNg someone speeding in the left lane. I mean you said you want to see some counter points here but all youve done is given responses that show a mind set that is on border line paranoia. I mean heck. You think someone is infringing on your freedom by parking their nice car far away lol.
    Sorry, you can't achieve higher than 100% safe driving - interesting that you'd like me to so you can continue deriding people on the internet.

You, much like Ego, are creating fantasy arguments about my driving habits that are blatantly false: 1) Have never said I do this, 2) Have never said I do this, 3) Your made up reasons that make no logical sense, except in your fantasy argument.

I just denied all of it because it's a blatant lie.

Being in the right lane allows speeders to break the law because they can pass on the left. Being in the left lane does not allow them to pass. I don't own the road. I'm not the police. And yes, by my actions, possibilities close and new ones arise. It is dangerous - but there is always danger on the road. The person causing the danger is the speeder, not the person obeying the speed limit.

I do wonder what police response would be - two lawbreakers present, only one can be pulled over. I'm not sure where you're getting paranoia from, must be in your fantasy argument that's not this one. I don't think they are infringing upon my freedom. Interesting that you invented that. Very telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The point of the discussion is who is the worse driver - the speeder who is always breaking the law, or the person in the left lane driving the maximum legal speed who is only breaking the law if other lawbreakers are present. I think it is the speeder, who is the cause of all of the danger.
    The person in the left lane is also always breaking the law. The law is keep right except to pass.

And that is not what the thread is about.

This thread is about whether you go over the speed limit or tailgate in the left lane. The poll is strictly about how you drive in the left lane.

The answer is "Don't drive in the left lane." Speeding or not. Tailgating or not. Speeding and/or tailgating make driving in the left lane worse...but you shouldn't be in that lane in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

I do wonder what police response would be - two lawbreakers present, only one can be pulled over. I'm not sure where you're getting paranoia from, must be in your fantasy argument that's not this one..
    In your scenario...the person that was speeding would not be speeding anymore...because he's stuck behind the other driver.

So they'd pull over the guy in the front if they could only pull over one. As far as they know...that's the one that's causing all the trouble.

The person in the left lane is also always breaking the law. The law is keep right except to pass.

And that is not what the thread is about.

This thread is about whether you go over the speed limit or tailgate in the left lane. The poll is strictly about how you drive in the left lane.

The answer is "Don't drive in the left lane." Speeding or not. Tailgating or not. Speeding and/or tailgating make driving in the left lane worse...but you shouldn't be in that lane in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

In your scenario...the person that was speeding would not be speeding anymore...because he's stuck behind the other driver.

So they'd pull over the guy in the front if they could only pull over one. As far as they know...that's the one that's causing all the trouble.
    Well, not in my state. In certain states, yes. But not in the vast majority.

That's what my debate is about.

Yes, and I posed a very related question to discuss.

Saying that you shouldn't be in the left lane is not really conducive to real-world scenarios. The lane is there for use.

Yes, but with evidence of both persons breaking the law - that's why it's an interesting question.

Of course if you eliminate the entire purpose of the scenario it's one sided. For both sides.

Well, not in my state. In certain states, yes. But not in the vast majority.

That's what my debate is about.

Yes, and I posed a very related question to discuss.

Saying that you shouldn't be in the left lane is not really conducive to real-world scenarios. The lane is there for use.

Yes, but with evidence of both persons breaking the law - that's why it's an interesting question.

Of course if you eliminate the entire purpose of the scenario it's one sided. For both sides.
    Actually, every state has a "keep right except to pass" law. The exact details differ...but they all have one.

The lane is there for use...as a passing lane. Not a driving lane.

As I already said...if you are driving in the left lane, blocking that lane from speeders while going the speed limit...there are no speeders...just you blocking the lane. You're the only one actively breaking the law in that scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, you can't achieve higher than 100% safe driving - interesting that you'd like me to so you can continue deriding people on the internet.
    yes I am sure you Allowing or Disallowing people in the left lane cuz you think they are unsafe equates to you being a 100% safe driver. Having the 15 years discount is no big achievement and thus doesnt deserve some honorable mention.

aim higher.

You, much like Ego, are creating fantasy arguments about my driving habits that are blatantly false: 1) Have never said I do this, 2) Have never said I do this, 3) Your made up reasons that make no logical sense, except in your fantasy argument.

I just denied all of it because it's a blatant lie.
    see the thing is. @Egomaniac and I arent creating any argument. We just dont believe that you are a safe driver and infact are not being fully honest about your driving habits.

Being in the right lane allows speeders to break the law because they can pass on the left. Being in the left lane does not allow them to pass. I don't own the road. I'm not the police. And yes, by my actions, possibilities close and new ones arise. It is dangerous - but there is always danger on the road. The person causing the danger is the speeder, not the person obeying the speed limit.
    you do realize that no one has said that the speeder is not to blame? the red flag is you constantly going on about allowing them to do so. The speeder is definitely out of line, but you would be too. Again, if you dont believe me, and since neither of us are the police or driving instructors, how about you just go have a chat with the next officer or just call up an instructor.

Ask em what you are supposed to do if there are two lanes going in one direction, you are in the left and a speeder starts to come up behind you.

As per ontario you are supposed to move over. now I can tell you how I have actually confirmed with a police officer if traffic speed = equal limit. it doesnt, but this is the internet and you dont have to believe me.
    https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact...n-147-t72.html

however. this isnt just some research article. this is the actual highway traffic act. so how about you do the same for your area?

I do wonder what police response would be - two lawbreakers present, only one can be pulled over. I'm not sure where you're getting paranoia from, must be in your fantasy argument that's not this one. I don't think they are infringing upon my freedom. Interesting that you invented that. Very telling.
    oh yea must be my imagination, it was totally not you who wrote this
    It's a free country and we are all equals
    as a response to why you would park next to an expensive car parked far away to avoid callous drivers. verrrryyy interesting indeed that you mention its an expensive car. I wonder, would you park next to an old beat up car thats been parked far far away? Given how you go out of your way to provide an example of an expensive car I dont think you would, given that no one even asked for that insight into your driving and parking style.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Actually, every state has a "keep right except to pass" law. The exact details differ...but they all have one.

The lane is there for use...as a passing lane. Not a driving lane.

As I already said...if you are driving in the left lane, blocking that lane from speeders while going the speed limit...there are no speeders...just you blocking the lane. You're the only one actively breaking the law in that scenario.
    Hmm, didn't realize it was illegal in every state. That changes things, but still doesn't change my assertion that the one causing the dangerous situation is the speeder.

Correct - but the road is safer when everyone does not exceed the speed limit. It is the person that wants to speed that is causing danger, not the person impeding traffic.

- - - Updated - - -

yes I am sure you Allowing or Disallowing people in the left lane cuz you think they are unsafe equates to you being a 100% safe driver. Having the 15 years discount is no big achievement and thus doesnt deserve some honorable mention.

aim higher.

see the thing is. @Egomaniac and I arent creating any argument. We just dont believe that you are a safe driver and infact are not being fully honest about your driving habits.

you do realize that no one has said that the speeder is not to blame? the red flag is you constantly going on about allowing them to do so. The speeder is definitely out of line, but you would be too. Again, if you dont believe me, and since neither of us are the police or driving instructors, how about you just go have a chat with the next officer or just call up an instructor.

Ask em what you are supposed to do if there are two lanes going in one direction, you are in the left and a speeder starts to come up behind you.

As per ontario you are supposed to move over. now I can tell you how I have actually confirmed with a police officer if traffic speed = equal limit. it doesnt, but this is the internet and you dont have to believe me.
    https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact...n-147-t72.html

however. this isnt just some research article. this is the actual highway traffic act. so how about you do the same for your area?

oh yea must be my imagination, it was totally not you who wrote this

as a response to why you would park next to an expensive car parked far away to avoid callous drivers. verrrryyy interesting indeed that you mention its an expensive car. I wonder, would you park next to an old beat up car thats been parked far far away? Given how you go out of your way to provide an example of an expensive car I dont think you would, given that no one even asked for that insight into your driving and parking style.
    You've asserted that I'm an unsafe driver. I gave you evidence that I am a safe driver. You've put forth zero evidence that I'm an unsafe driver. I don't really see any logic in your claim. Could I be safer? Yes. Am I unsafe? You've yet to mention any specific driving quality that I have that is unsafe. So for now, the default assumption is that I am not unsafe.

The argument that you are making is that I'm an unsafe driver. There is no evidence of this in the entire thread. I have never been dishonest about my driving habits. Everything I do is safe. If you'd like to give any specific habits I have that are unsafe, please feel free to post them here. I've mentioned one.

Yes, now that we are actually discussing the issue at hand, and admittedly, I got a bit sidetracked on this whole topic of 'safety,' I see that. So you agree that the person causing the danger is the person speeding, not the maximum legal speed driver in the left lane?

We aren't discussing what you are supposed to do, we are discussing who is causing a dangerous situation. It's the speeder. Are two people breaking the law? Yes. Are they both causing the road to be more dangerous? I assert no, that the only person responsible for the danger is the speeder.

Ego just confirmed that it's illegal in every state. I didn't realize this, but it doesn't affect the source of the danger on the road. Can an opinion be made for both? Yes. It's just my opinion that the speeder is the cause.

Please tell me where the logic is behind stating that "it's a free country and we are all equals" implies that someone's freedom is being infringed?

I said I thought it was funny, did I not? Who said anything about callous drivers? Are you assuming things? I don't really have a preference in which cars to park next to except ones that are alone. Just sends an important message. Do they get the message I intend? Probably not. Plus, parking next to nice cars is usually safer in general. The reason I mentioned 'expensive' car is because that's the type of car that's alone.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    But I'm not speeding officer. And I am driving with the flow of traffic since I setting the flow of traffic. People should be thinking me when they get to their destination safely.
    You are operating your vehicle in an unsafe manner.

Every state has some kind of law restricting the use of the left lane on multi-lane roads and highways. That doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to use the left lane at all — it just means that you should generally use it only to pass cars in the right lane.

Why is that the case? Even if you’re driving fast, there’s almost always someone going faster than you. So if you get back over to the right immediately after passing, that car will be able to pass you, which lets everybody to get to their destination more quickly. Otherwise, traffic builds up, raising safety risks.

The autobahn is a living testament to what our road could look like if everyone followed this rule. The German highway system boasts lower accident and fatality rates even though it has higher (and sometimes nonexistent) speed limits. It isn’t just a matter of courtesy to the people driving behind you — it’s a real question of safety.

Hmm, didn't realize it was illegal in every state. That changes things, but still doesn't change my assertion that the one causing the dangerous situation is the speeder.

Correct - but the road is safer when everyone does not exceed the speed limit. It is the person that wants to speed that is causing danger, not the person impeding traffic.
    I mean, you could have just watched the video i posted pages ago. And hey look someone posted it again right above this comment. It's very informative. And it shows that often that the person driving on the left is indeed making the roads less safe for everyone else. I'm not saying that speeding is a good thing to do. I'm saying that just because someone else is driving dangerously...it doesn't mean you aren't.

Impeding traffic creates dangers.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-06-09 at 08:40 PM.

It has a small problem.
    If you ding the super expensive car, your $100k insurance is not enough to cover the $200k car.

Stay away from that $1 million car !
    if im parking it means i arrived later than them so generally they will be leaving before me. but aside from that in the UK insurance covered at fault, it has to legally, every one in the UK is legally required to have car insurance and that insurance pays by fault, so if theirs a crash and its my fault my insurance pays for my car and the other persons car no matter what it costs, any voluntary excess only comes for my own repair costs and same vice versa.

some people still go about uninsured (a banable offence but then there some who drive whilst banned) but its more likely the cheap cars will be uninsured or disqualified drivers rather than the rich porche driver.

there is no down side to park next to a fancy car and alot to gain in security of my own car. also seeing toffs turn there noses up seeing my 308 parked next to there brand new fancy sports SUV or 1mil sports car gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling only pissing off the rich can give.

I got it !
    Drive a 20 year old car on the left lane to block a Porsche.
    Park as close as possible to a Porsche.
    Take that rich people !

Seriously, in USA, you can buy a $40k car insurance.
    If you hit a $200k car, insurance company pay $40k, and you get a $160k bill.

The same for medical insurance, you thought you had a good medical insurance.
    Break a leg, still get a $1 million dollar bill from the hospital.