Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Arrow Going from casual to seriously playing still sucks ass

For being serious in PvP you gotta have rank 3 in a bunch of essences + the right corruptions. For being serious in PvE it's the same story different corruptions/essences.

I wanna take the game seriously but truth is the game encourages me to not take the game seriously, asks me to farm some mounts and transmogs, and then do my weekly stuff.

Don't bother doing LFR, rewarded ilvl sucks. Don't bother doing Normal mode, rewarded ilvl sucks. Don't bother doing Heroic, you can't link experience to join them. Don't do Mythic, you don't have the right corruptions/essences. Don't do PvP, you don't have the right corruptions/essences. Forget about doing M+ your RIO rating sucks ass.

Remember to forget about doing your visions if you want to play a healer.

Stick to doing your emmesarries and maybe a weekly +15 chest. Then stop playing. That's what it feels like.

How do you guys break that cycle? You find a Heroic raidnig guild that is willing to carry you or what?

You don't go from casual to seriously pushing mythic raids or high keys/high pvp ranking in a week ( unless you get carried ). You find a guild or some group and gain experience first.

I'm a firm believer that they simply added too many gearing mechanics to the game. The fact that these mechanics change from expansion to expansion, hell, even patch to patch, makes it all the worse.

Have you considered playing Classic? The gearing is a lot more straight forward, and the progression on how you acquire gear is simple and pretty linear.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Have you considered playing Classic? The gearing is a lot more straight forward, and the progression on how you acquire gear is simple and pretty linear.
    But the content is also simple and linear, the difficulty just isn't there. It's mostly replaced by tedium, which is not my personal idea of a good time. If that appeals to someone, sure, not a problem, more power to them.

As for "serious" play, obviously the higher you go the more stringent the demands on your performance. That's always been the case. It just depends on what you consider "serious" in this context. It's very possible to do mythic raiding and M15+ without no-lifing the shit out of the game, but if your plan is to rank, say, World Top 50 or something like that then you'll have to be a pumper.

The bigger problem I see is the PvP/PvE overlap, which REALLY pisses me off. PvPers are forced to do PvE content, and PvErs are forced to do PvP content - and it's really bad when someone is in a place they don't want to be, but other people need to rely on them doing well.

If you want to take the game seriously yeah, you gotta put n the work. How or why is this a problem? Being competitive in almost every hobby requires this attitude/effort.
    How is the game telling you to not take it seriously?

Yeah doing the trivial content yields trivial rewards. Why is that a problem?
    This whole "need aotc to get aotc" thing has got to be a meme. Even on my pure dps chars I got into full clear groups with little to no problem. Without linking my mains achieves or anything of the sort. Im starting to think people preaching that its hard to get into Aotc grps without aotc are signing up for like a single grp, not getting in, then running to the forums to complain before just looking for another grp.

M+ I get the same feeling. Sometimes I have to sign up to 10+ grps before getting an invite and yeah its annoying but I still manage to get into a grp (on a warlock mind you) in sub 15min. Its not hard to climb your RIO score either. 10's will take anyone of reasonable ilvl (talking like 445+) and thats an ilvl you can get from normal raid, emi boxes, invasions, visions. Once you clear most dungeons on a 10-12 you easily have the io for for +15 grps. I've also NEVER seen a grp deny ask/deny me for my corruptions.

Any spec can 5 mask visions solo at rank 12 cloak. Reference a youtube video if you need help with routing/cds/talents. Some healer specs are actually easier than their dps counterparts.

How to break the cycle? Maybe get the mentality out of your head that anyone should need to carry you.

I think farming essences and right corruptions, yadayada is called "taking the game seriously". Getting carried is not "serious". Farming your rio score, gear, Visions (Yes, a serious healer does them as well, if you don't have offspec gear you are a casual anyways) and most important of all experience. Experience is actually the most important bit; if you don't bother with normal, how do you expect to do well in Heroic or even mythic?
    Networking also helps. Found a nice group that did a smooth run? Add their Battletag and frequently ask them if they want to run some dungeons. Join a guild. Progress with them. Many guilds look for players, just don't expect to go straight to mythic without prooving yourself in heroic.

Honestly, you sound like you want to play casually and get to do content for serious players and be rewarded like a serious player. If you want to be serious, play serious. Yes, that means dumping some time into WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is that there's too many systems. There shouldn't be azerite, essences, cloak and corruption all at the same time, it's just too much to balance if you play more than a couple characters. It hurts the game because I have various alts I want to play and progress on, but there's all these tedious roadblocks infront of my alts that shouldn't be there. I'm so glad they're reverting all their mistakes in SL and going back to the basics. Letting gear be gear without stupid proc based systems and avoiding multiple grind systems that hinder progression on alts. SL can't come any sooner.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    The issue is that there's too many systems. There shouldn't be azerite, essences, cloak and corruption all at the same time, it's just too much to balance if you play more than a couple characters. It hurts the game because I have various alts
    Then it means system is working as intended. You shouldn't be required to have alts or even be bored on your main so you HAVE TO resort to creating alts to have things to do.

And I believe wow is still too simple, we should have so much systems so it would be even impossible to understand what is good and what is not. Like PoE tree + crafting + items + stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Then it means system is working as intended. You shouldn't be required to have alts or even be bored on your main so you HAVE TO resort to creating alts to have things to do.

And I believe wow is still too simple, we should have so much systems so it would be even impossible to understand what is good and what is not. Like PoE tree + crafting + items + stats.
    To each their own, but we know for certain that WoW will have less systems in SL than it did in BFA. Systems like allied races encouraged players to have more alts, same thing with heritage armor. If someone enjoys playing just one character, that's their decision, but when they run out of things to do and they want to act neglected, that's their own fault for not having more alts. Alts allow someone to enjoy the same content but from various perspectives. I play every class at max level and I enjoy playing them all throughout an expansion. Sometimes I feel like playing my fire mage, but other times I feel like playing my shadow priest. But having a more simpler system, I gain the luxury of progressing my alts without having to jump over numerous hurdles.

I can see how you prefer to play one character, but we're so far removed from that concept that players like you will have to adapt or burnout mid tier and unsubscribe until more content comes out. If you like in depth character progression that's near impossible to min/max, go play PoE.

Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    Blizzard needs to ban any type of mod like raider.io, etc. That will help with getting rid of the elite snobs making judgements without even knowing one's skill or ability to adapt at higher levels of play.
    The answer to this is, as always, making your own group.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

The issue is that there's too many systems. There shouldn't be azerite, essences, cloak and corruption all at the same time, it's just too much to balance if you play more than a couple characters. It hurts the game because I have various alts I want to play and progress on, but there's all these tedious roadblocks infront of my alts that shouldn't be there. I'm so glad they're reverting all their mistakes in SL and going back to the basics. Letting gear be gear without stupid proc based systems and avoiding multiple grind systems that hinder progression on alts. SL can't come any sooner.
    how have they reverted their mistakes?
    *covenants are the new corruptions baby, only far more boring and painful to change.
    *They are still forcing players to go through BFA to level.
    *SL will have an AP grind of some kind.
    *pvp gear is still locked behind pve walls.
    *the story looks to go even more fubar.

the only thing different in SL so far are some old abilities coming back and a claimed focus on class over spec again, which i havent seen anything actually shown yet.

they still dont know what they are going to do with class sets, despite advertising them. if everyone gets a legendary for yet another expansion, its just cut and paste bullshit.

they get rid of RNG with more RNG. that is current and future blizz. keep running that wheel little hamster

You need to link experience to get into a heroic? I've gotten into plenty of heroic pugs without having any boss kills and being somewhat undergeared (i've gotten alts in at like 448-453). You just have to keep applying to groups until you get invited. Target the ones who are fresh and just forming up with a couple of DPS. They fill fast.

lol, they have those systems in classic and no one has an issue over what is bad or good. everything can be broken down to what is best and worst over time no matter how many systems you try to over saturate the game with.

your proposed game would have WoW shut down in 2-3 years as it appeals to the 1%. they lost players when they started saturating the game with fluff, they have not been able to retain players since. the mind set of 'just keep adding systems until they are happy' is lazy, half assed parenting. which is exactly what a company like blizz basically has to do for all its 'kids'. its why the player base is no full of affluent, selfish, arrogant turds who only have their own best interests and entertainment in mind. not a good thing for an mmorpg.

Blizzard needs to ban any type of mod like raider.io, etc. That will help with getting rid of the elite snobs making judgements without even knowing one's skill or ability to adapt at higher levels of play.
    Can you like stop associating RIO with elitism? I read this BS all the time on this forum...

Seriously, all you people who are shitting on RIO are probably people who got a high ilvl through open world content and then you wanna get into M+ and suddenly expect that anyone's gonna invite you to a high key even though you have no experience whatsoever.

If you want to get a good RIO score simply start doing low keys such as +2,+3,+4 and then move higher up. This will result in you getting a good score AND you will actually learn how these dungeons work before they get really hard (how logical right? As if that score you get almost makes sense). A good RIO score doesn't have to mean that you're a skilled player, however it absolutely does tell you who is terrible, because they never did a dungeon even close at this level.

It really isn't rocket science or has anything to do with elitism. If anything, what Blizzard should do is add an official M+ ranking score ingame so that RIO itself becomes redundant.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-06-09 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    *covenants are the new corruptions baby, only far more boring and painful to change.

the only thing different in SL so far are some old abilities coming back and a claimed focus on class over spec again, which i havent seen anything actually shown yet.

they still dont know what they are going to do with class sets, despite advertising them. if everyone gets a legendary for yet another expansion, its just cut and paste bullshit.

they get rid of RNG with more RNG. that is current and future blizz. keep running that wheel little hamster
    Covenant abilities are like corruption? No they're not. Corruption is some stupid layer of RNG thrown on top of the RNG of obtain gear. Covenant abilities are gained by simply picking a covenant. Grinding rep with a covenant is just like any other expansion where you grind reps. No one is being forced to level through BFA. With the leveling changes going into SL, you can level from 1-50 in any of the expansions that you want. The whole going to BFA thing is for NEW players who finish the 1-10 starting zone and to catch them up w/ the story, they'll do BFA. If some existing player wants to level a new alt, there is nothing forcing them to level through BFA. I have no issues with a grindy system, just as long as we're not dealing with 4 of them all at the same time.

As for PvP, I can't speak on that because I haven't cared one bit about PvP since midway through Cataclysm. Honestly I stopped caring about PvP after Wotlk, but continued to give it a go because the people I hung around preferred it over PvE. The story IMO, still seems interesting, so that's just going to be a difference of opinions. SL will cater to alts more than BFA did and that's my main priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post

New corruptions but with no rng? and not doing 30%+ of your damage unless you have some data I dont know of.
    Only NEW players have to level through BFA and why is this a problem? Did you find the questing in BFA bad? Im pretty sure its main purpose is to help explain the story to new players instead of them being confused about playing in old expacs then suddenly being in SL from a timeline perspective.
    Pretty sure the new "AP grind" is more like the old valor system. Where is a weekly limit to how much "useful" currency you can obtain. After that its purely cosmetic. So yeah each week will be a raising ceiling on power you can obtain but its still a ceiling not some infinite grind.
    Did I miss something about pvp gear? Last I heard they were adding a pvp vendor? Unless your problem is that top end pvper's need to pve, well that goes both ways and is the cost of min maxing. Top end pve players grind out rating to have access to more gear for stat optimization.
    Still better story than TBC or WoD.

Except that way you can rule out people who have supposedly no experience. Even if they would ban a raider.io addon I would check people online. They can't really ban that.
    S.H.

I play alts to have a different experience, not because I am bored.

To each their own, but we know for certain that WoW will have less systems in SL than it did in BFA. Systems like allied races encouraged players to have more alts, same thing with heritage armor. If someone enjoys playing just one character, that's their decision, but when they run out of things to do and they want to act neglected, that's their own fault for not having more alts. Alts allow someone to enjoy the same content but from various perspectives. I play every class at max level and I enjoy playing them all throughout an expansion. Sometimes I feel like playing my fire mage, but other times I feel like playing my shadow priest. But having a more simpler system, I gain the luxury of progressing my alts without having to jump over numerous hurdles.

I can see how you prefer to play one character, but we're so far removed from that concept that players like you will have to adapt or burnout mid tier and unsubscribe until more content comes out. If you like in depth character progression that's near impossible to min/max, go play PoE.
    oh dont you worry. Blizzard will have grinds in place for SL too. When BfA launched we didnt know half of the grind we would end up with during that xpac. Expect the same in SL. For some reason they want players to have "fun" with these endless grinds were getting gear is just a small factor.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I'm a firm believer that they simply added too many gearing mechanics to the game. The fact that these mechanics change from expansion to expansion, hell, even patch to patch, makes it all the worse.

completelly agree,so many gearing mechanics intertwined with one another that change so fast, is just too conterintuitive. I wish i could just log in and do ranked pvp and start progressing and gearing from there without having to learn and farm so much crap.
    Last edited by Piamonte; 2020-06-09 at 07:32 PM.