Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    115,130 dead, 982 on the 10th (GMT). You're probably tired of hearing me say "trends" by now, so just know that they're doing what they've been doing the past couple weeks in the usual areas.

As of right now it looks like there are 2,437 new cases recorded in Texas, their highest daily total to date. Florida reports 1,371 and have had 5 of their 6 highest daily totals to date in the past week or so. The top five in terms of new cases are California, Texas, Arizona, Florida and North Carolina, so so much for warm weather killing it all off.

Deaths, on the other hand, appear to be leveling off nationally. It seems to be leveling off at just under 1k per day, so that's not great, but at least we never hit those 3k numbers that were posited by the experts. It seems that either we've gotten better at protecting those most vulnerable or the strained healthcare system has found enough breathing room as the curve leveled out that they don't have to decide who lives and who dies anymore.

Another positive note, we can probably worry a bit less about the protests causing massive outbreaks:

Widespread mask-wearing could prevent COVID-19 second waves: study

Just about every picture of actual protesters (not provocateurs or people angry about not getting haircuts) shows the masses wearing masks. This is fantastic, since we'll probably be needing to protest up to and including the day of the election for various reasons, given the way this TRUMP SHITSHOW is devolving into a dumpster fire of epic proportions.

Stay safe, folks.
    Second wave will happen, but it wont be like the first wave (not the clusterfuck of epic proportions). Also, last i've heard, the standard of care has made the outcome of severe and critical patients much better than just 3 months ago (where if you're geting intubated, there was a 50/50 chance of you not making it). Now, someone else could chime in and share if that snippet of info is actually true or just a rumor.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-06-11 at 01:36 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

I know I miss a lot here, but was this already discussed?

Top Republican will block Trump nominees until administration explains watchdog firings

Frankly I'm surprised, given the source, but with Graham pushing for senior judges to retire so they can be replaced by Trump it's probably a useless gesture ultimately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only briefly. If memory serves, Grassley is in the "I'm not running for re-election so I can afford to have morals and ethics" camp. I mean, the guy's older then McConnell.

Top Republican will block Trump nominees until administration explains watchdog firings

Frankly I'm surprised, given the source, but with Graham pushing for senior judges to retire so they can be replaced by Trump it's probably a useless gesture ultimately.
    ...wow. I'm legitimately surprised to see the first Republican in three years actually do their job and act as the Legislative co-equal check on the Executive.

Grassley was not a total piece of shit today. Good job, Grassley.

Might have been mentioned but I guess Sesame Street is the enemy and is now indoctrinating children like north korea because they tried to educate children about what you know, what's going in america with the protests, and racist Tucker Carlson doesn't like that.

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/10/wer...sesame-street/

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...14092295950337

I realize this is more than likely flaccid bravado but...

Is the POTUS openly threatening to send the US military to occupy a city?

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1270885852374355971

Mike Pence, the head of the coronavirus task force, tweeted out this image.

He deleted the tweet.

Who even needs to make messages for Biden? These idiots do it themselves, daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...14092295950337

I realize this is more than likely flaccid bravado but...

Is the POTUS openly threatening to send the US military to occupy a city?

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1270885852374355971

Mike Pence, the head of the coronavirus task force, tweeted out this image.

He deleted the tweet.
    Why are they all doing double thumbs up with Tyrannosaurus arms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Better yet, isn't it just so convenient that the few people of color in the picture just happen to have desks closest to the camera.

"Look at my African-American" in photo form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Better yet, isn't it just so convenient that the few people of color in the picture just happen to have desks closest to the camera.

"Look at my African-American" in photo form.
    I actually looked and there may be a few in the background that are blurry, but at least they remembered to frame the show with their best foot forward for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually looked and there may be a few in the background that are blurry, but at least they remembered to frame the show with their best foot forward for once.
    I suppose a sprinkle of spice is better than nothing but it's still a very Boomer way to do things. :P
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Tucker Carlson
    Just want to throw this out there: Trump's rabid fanbase is now fighting Muppets.

And losing.

Unrelated but of interest: Harvard University has a new death prediction, 200,000 by September.

We'd last really discussed 134,000 by August. So...yeah, this is not great news. @Benggaul has been posting thousand-like numbers over and over, but for the 134,000 by August prediction to still be true, the deaths/day will have to drop soon -- 500 per day, from now on, will be past 134,000 by August 1.

whelp since no one is looking our dear leader.....has increased the debt now

$6,039,482,636,387‬

since he took office as president.

https://treasurydirect.gov/govt/repo...tothepenny.htm

Obama 8 years 9,320,427,506,299‬

First 4 - 5,805,742,375,790
    Second 4- 3,514,685,130,509

Trump $6,039,482,636,387‬

Now holds the record for the highest debt of any presidential term

The resulting deficit of $1,880,296,000 was the largest the federal government has ever run in the first eight months of a fiscal year.

Prior to this year, the largest deficit the federal government ever ran in the October-May period was in fiscal 2009, when it ran a deficit of $1,189,252,330,000 in constant May 2020 dollars.
    Last edited by Zan15; 2020-06-11 at 04:35 AM.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    That's a Trump pose. Trump seems to have trouble raising his arms. Or walking up a small hill. Or standing up straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Trump is on pace to double Obama's second term -- so no blaming inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's a Trump pose. Trump seems to have trouble raising his arms. Or walking up a small hill. Or standing up straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump is on pace to double Obama's second term -- so no blaming inflation.

Don't worry those tax cuts will pay for everything

The $2,019,240,000,000 in total taxes the Treasury collected in October through May of this fiscal year was the lowest in seven years. The last time the Treasury collected less than that in the first eight months of the fiscal year was in fiscal 2013, when the Treasury collected $1,981,760,690 in constant May 2020 dollars.

corporate taxes so far in this fiscal year were only 86 billion dollars.

to put that in perspective Apple had 22 billion in profit in the first quarter...lol
    Last edited by Zan15; 2020-06-11 at 04:39 AM.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry those tax cuts will pay for everything
    Yeah, let's throw that out there: any Trump supporters, you have 24 hours to prove that the tax cut paid for itself. Bring evidence, as usual. Failure to find evidence will be taken as proof that the tax cut for the rich did not pay for itself, and failure to even look (as verified by failure to post) will be taken as proof of cowardice.

And boy, you've racked up quite the "cowardice tab" haven't you?

Oh, and Zandalari15, that low tax amount...that includes tariffs, right? Meaning that the tax burden has shifted dramatically towards the lower class?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yeah, let's throw that out there: any Trump supporters, you have 24 hours to prove that the tax cut paid for itself. Bring evidence, as usual. Failure to find evidence will be taken as proof that the tax cut for the rich did not pay for itself, and failure to even look (as verified by failure to post) will be taken as proof of cowardice.

And boy, you've racked up quite the "cowardice tab" haven't you?

Oh, and Zandalari15, that low tax amount...that includes tariffs, right? Meaning that the tax burden has shifted dramatically towards the lower class?
    no that is just corporate income tax...excise taxes are tracked seperate
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

whelp since no one is looking our dear leader.....has increased the debt now

$6,039,482,636,387‬

since he took office as president.

https://treasurydirect.gov/govt/repo...tothepenny.htm

Obama 8 years 9,320,427,506,299‬

First 4 - 5,805,742,375,790
    Second 4- 3,514,685,130,509

Now holds the record for the highest debt of any presidential term

The resulting deficit of $1,880,296,000 was the largest the federal government has ever run in the first eight months of a fiscal year.

Prior to this year, the largest deficit the federal government ever ran in the October-May period was in fiscal 2009, when it ran a deficit of $1,189,252,330,000 in constant May 2020 dollars.
    Literally never want to hear Republicans ever talk about "fiscal responsibility", the debt, the deficit, "conservative economics", or any of that nonsense ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally never want to hear Republicans ever talk about "fiscal responsibility", the debt, the deficit, "conservative economics", or any of that nonsense ever again.
    Given how much hypocrisy has been on display the last four years, I think this a more accurate wish tbh.

"Cancel culture silences conservatives". Bitch, I wish it fuckin' did.

10+ Year Old Account
    no that is just corporate income tax...excise taxes are tracked seperate
    Ah. I'd like to see those too...but that's for another time.