10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandgato View Post
    One common factor i have read from interviews, and now even reviews that turns me off of the game -

Extreme violence against dogs. I get why it's happening in context with the story, but some of the videos i have seen show it as extremely brutal, to an unnecessary degree. IMO at least.
    I don't get why this is such a thing of contention. Its not like Ellie is breaking into homes murdering people's pugs and beagles. She's fighting off dogs that are trying to maim/kill her, or lead humans that want to do the same to her location.

Earlier today I played Fallout 4 and killed around a dozen dogs with a shotgun. Shredded a bunch more with a minigun, punched another while I was wearing power armor and its head literally exploded.

Where was the outrage for that game? Or Fallout 76 where you can do exactly the same kind of stuff?

And before anyone says 'but those are mutant/rabid dogs!' not all of them are. Fallout 4/76 are full of normal rottweiler-style dogs attached to the raider factions.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I don't get why this is such a thing of contention. Its not like Ellie is breaking into homes murdering people's pugs and beagles. She's fighting off dogs that are trying to maim/kill her, or lead humans that want to do the same to her location.

Earlier today I played Fallout 4 and killed around a dozen dogs with a shotgun. Shredded a bunch more with a minigun, punched another while I was wearing power armor and its head literally exploded.

Where was the outrage for that game? Or Fallout 76 where you can do exactly the same kind of stuff?

And before anyone says 'but those are mutant/rabid dogs!' not all of them are. Fallout 4/76 are full of normal rottweiler-style dogs attached to the raider factions.
    Yea but lets be honest here, killing a dog in a shitty animated bethesda game might as well be killing a dog in 8 bit graphics compared to what TLOU2 is displaying. It should not surprise you it effects people differently.

The animation difference and feel of gameplay between Bethesda and Naughty Dog is more then an entire gaming generation apart. The closest thing to it would probably be the hunting in RDR2 and there where people that didn't like that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Are you intentionally shifting the goal post or just arguing in bad faith?
    What?

Restricting your combat option by scarcity of resources is gameplay mechanic.

Naming the generic enemies you face Bob and Pete instead Washington Liberation Front Trooper hardly is, yet Naughty Dog is acting like giving the enemies and their dogs names is some big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    What?

Restricting your combat option by scarcity of resources is gameplay mechanic.

Naming the generic enemies you face Bob and Pete instead Washington Liberation Front Trooper hardly is, yet Naughty Dog is acting like giving the enemies and their dogs names is some big deal.
    Naughty Dog didn't act like anything.

It was reviews and previews that made a big deal about all the NPCs having names. What the fuck are you even talking about? People made a big deal about it, not ND so yes clearly it was a big deal to some people.

But this is beyond goal post moving at this point you moved to an entire stadium. You tried to claim ND was being "edgy" for having brutal combat in a series that literally started on not trying to glorify violence and make it as ugly as possible. So yea, thanks for answering the question even though you didn't. Arguing in bad faith it is.

One would have to be a brain dead hack to infer that anybody's problem with TLOU II is a female lead... of Ellie. Because fans love Ellie. Any other female lead that the game might feature, and how brain dead the writing was to establish that hypothetical lead as a playable character is what the problem is. And I'm guessing audience score and critic score are gonna... differ a little bit because of it.

https://www.opencritic.com/game/8351...-of-us-part-ii

95 average over 74 reviews with 99% recommendation.

Waiting with popcorn for all the people that said the game was gonna bomb to come eat their crow.
    These are critic scores and not player scores, right? Let’s not forget that many critic reviews don’t agree with the average player/watcher in media. There’s been plenty of games and movies over the years that get high professional critic reviews that bomb with the average person, and vice versa.
    That said, I tend to make my own judgement on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    These are critic scores and not player scores, right? Let’s not forget that many critic reviews don’t agree with the average player/watcher in media. There’s been plenty of games and movies over the years that get high professional critic reviews that bomb with the average person, and vice versa.
    That said, I tend to make my own judgement on things.
    Name me all the 95+ scored games that "bombed with the average person". This seems more like a statement pulled out of your ass then one pulled out of reality. There is only 5 other games in that score range and they where all massive successes in every way possible. https://www.opencritic.com/browse/all
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-06-13 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea but lets be honest here, killing a dog in a shitty animated bethesda game might as well be killing a dog in 8 bit graphics compared to what TLOU2 is displaying. It should not surprise you it effects people differently.

The animation difference and feel of gameplay between Bethesda and Naughty Dog is more then an entire gaming generation apart. The closest thing to it would probably be the hunting in RDR2 and there where people that didn't like that either.
    You're arguing semantics. They still move like dogs, they still sound like dogs (including pain/death) and there are still meaningful interactions with them like meeting Dogmeat for the first time in Fallout 4.

So whether its a 'shitty animated Bethesda game' or not is beside the point. Either way you're doing horrific things to people, creatures, and dogs. One shouldn't get a pass because 'lol animation'. There are plenty of older/retro/indie sprite-based games that evoked powerful reactions from people with basic colors and low-res sprites... you'd do well to figure out that your personal standard for visual standards/quality isn't everyone's.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Waiting with popcorn for all the people that said the game was gonna bomb to come eat their crow.
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/w...le-for-azeroth

Yea reviewer scores have never had a stark difference from user scores before, nope not at all.

Second, They could only review up to 5hrs of a game thats suppose to be 25hrs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name me all the 95+ scored games that "bombed with the average person". This seems more like a statement pulled out of your ass then one pulled out of reality. There is only 5 other games in that score range and they where all massive successes in every way possible. https://www.opencritic.com/browse/all
    Never understood the hype for the first game. Played it to platinum, and it was fine, but not the earth-shattering definitive must-play it's often touted to be.

Naughty Dog games are pretty paint-by-numbers. Kinda like CoD campaigns, but Sony exclusive. Maybe there's a correlation.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Well, here’s the reverse 1st:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/gameran...etacritic/amp/

Here’s some movies that critics love, watchers hate (yes I did include movies:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1108478002

Here’s some high scoring games with low user scores:
    https://gamerant.com/games-critics-l...ed-metacritic/

Bottom line, they’re all over the place. And no, I didn’t mention 95+ scoring games, I mentioned “critics loved, average person didn’t.”

Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    Second, They could only review up to 5hrs of a game thats suppose to be 25hrs.
    Wrong. If you're going to try and debate at least come with factual points.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Bottom line, they’re all over the place. And no, I didn’t mention 95+ scoring games, I mentioned “critics loved, average person didn’t.”
    Lets snip away the rest of your goalpost shift and I again ask you which game scored anywhere close to TLOU2 bombed. Let me know how far down the list you have to go to find one.

BoTW?
    SMO?
    GoW?
    GTAV?
    RDR2?

Yea man those critics sure review some games that bomb extremely high!

The internet is a bitch^^
    People will review bomb the living hell out of it because they cannot and will never admit they were wrong. That ship is sailed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Baffling that people still lean on critics to justify their purchase (or lack thereof) or enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a game, or any type of media really. What is there to debate? The merits are mostly subjective anyway, as is the appeal.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate Cheeks View Post
    Never understood the hype for the first game. Played it to platinum, and it was fine, but not the earth-shattering definitive must-play it's often touted to be.

Naughty Dog games are pretty paint-by-numbers. Kinda like CoD campaigns, but Sony exclusive. Maybe there's a correlation.
    Or maybe different people enjoy things differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the user scores are going to be a disaster. As soon as they open up to the public, people who haven't even played the game are going to start bombing it to hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    The internet is a bitch^^
    People will review bomb the living hell out of it because they cannot and will never admit they were wrong. That ship is sailed.
    I'm sure that's entirely the reason why anyone would review bomb something. Not because of a dislike for the narrative, gameplay etc. No, we can't have that.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Baffling that people still lean on critics to justify their purchase (or lack thereof) or enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a game, or any type of media really. What is there to debate? The merits are mostly subjective anyway, as is the appeal.
    When it's an average of 96 different opinions it stops being subjective and turns into a general consensus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Or maybe different people enjoy things differently.
    What a novel idea.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.