Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

i still think Crown Tundra will have a tie-in to Sinnoh and gen 4 remakes

snow & snow

During all the trailers and previews and such for SwSh, I figured Team Yell would be a worse version of Team Skull, not really being the villains, but no where near as likeable. The fact that was true, and they were actually Spikemuth trainers (don't get me started on Spikemuth...), just made me facepalm. I knew Rose and Oleana were the bad guys from the start, though I thought Rose was going to be an unknowing bad guy, and Oleana was the true evil team leader. I was only partially wrong on that.

I honestly don't know if I even want an evil organization for the next gen. Why not take a note from some of the movies, and have a legendary pokemon be the antagonist in everything, instead of an evil organization bent on bending one of the 3 major legendary pokemon to their will, while we use one of the other 2 to take out their leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Honestly, I still don't fully understand why narrative-wise we even had a battle against Chairman Rose. Lusamine's battles made sense in the story, Rose's doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't even really a villain. His goal and motive was insuring that Galar will have power for more than the next 1000 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Piers says hello. He is the leader of Team Yell as Team Yell is Spikemuth gym trainers.

- - - Updated - - -

The real reason they cut the dex is pokemon wants to have a more competitive and changing PvP ... a lot in sword and shield pushes people to look into the PvP aspect of Pokemon. By cutting the dex, they are able to lazily keep the list of approved pokemon low ... despite never actually having a problem with this in the past.

At least this isn't Gen III all over again.
    Thats actually another lie others have pointed out before. Beginning in gen 6 i think? They added a layer to the system that shows whether a pokemon was caught/raised in the region vs transferred/native. They easily couldve made changes to the available or usable mons for balance
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Thats actually another lie others have pointed out before. Beginning in gen 6 i think? They added a layer to the system that shows whether a pokemon was caught/raised in the region vs transferred/native. They easily couldve made changes to the available or usable mons for balance
    They just needed a excuse to sell us a dlc.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    They just needed a excuse to sell us a dlc.
    Honestly, I prefer a DLC expansion over another version of the same game.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Honestly, I prefer a DLC expansion over another version of the same game.
    SwSh desperately needs an enhanced version, if only to make the game actually fun and have content.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    SwSh desperately needs an enhanced version, if only to make the game actually fun and have content.
    It seemed like a pretty standard pokemon game to me. I think people got spoiled by Gen V post games (half of which was artificially created imo). Gen II and the GS remakes of course we had Kanto, but a lot of other games don't have extensive post games ... generally it is all "Battle gyms/trail, fight bad team, become champion."

I wish Max Raid battles were more challenging (the most challenging ones was the Mewtwo raids, but that was more it was Mewtwo).

And in the DLC they are adding things, there is a storyline in the Isle of Armor, but it will likely be minor. And Crown Tundra is bring more content in exploring Max Raid dens which can (maybe does) end in a raid den and a new two vs two battle where you team up with an NPC. So the DLC literally is the ENHANCED version.

Though my hope is that the version exclusive characters are available to battle in Champion rematches and the new mode.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Before that giev pls gen 6 enhanced version

I dont mind dlc replacing a third version. Doesn't really seem like a difference honestly.

3rd versions were already basically physical dlc and we havent even gotten a proper 3rd version in a long time anyways. Last one was gen 4. I'll take dlc over "ultra" sword and shield any day unless they wanna give us a truly different experience or sequel.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

lul the team yell hate xD
    maybe it was my highness as fuck when playing the story but i found super funny this team of street punks/hoolingans in a english setting.
    and by far i found piers the best characterized gym leaders of all games D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont care about a 3rd version in the classic sense, but I do want a complete edition of the game with all the DLC included.

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    lul the team yell hate xD
    maybe it was my highness as fuck when playing the story but i found super funny this team of street punks/hoolingans in a english setting.
    and by far i found piers the best characterized gym leaders of all games D:
    i think i would have liked team yell more if team skull hadnt already done the concept better imo

It is hilarious how bad Game Freak's Pokémon game looks...

when compared to Bandai Namco's Pokémon game:

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so I beat Isle of Armor and figured I'd post my thoughts:

The good:

- The Isle of Armor is quite good. The design of it is engaging and it's not all just flat plains. There's a genuine sense of exploration that the wild areas in the base game don't have. If this is what we can expect from the next game, I'm hopeful.
    - Kubfu and Urshifu are really cool Pokemon
    - The story isn't groundbreaking or anything but it has some cute moments and is overall enjoyable for what it is.
    - The final fight is a decent challenge
    - Pokemon follow you in the overworld! (although there are some big caveats)
    - You can now find items that can let you unlock gigantimax for any Pokemon that is eligible
    - There are new clothes and they are pretty cool
    - You get a new bike that also looks pretty cool

The bad:

- Pokemon ONLY follow you on the Isle of Armor. They do not follow you on the routes in the base game and they do not follow you in the wild areas of the base game. Fucking.... why? What the hell is the point of it then?
    - There are very little trainer battles. I think there are like 9? And most of them are against trainers who have like 1-2 Pokemon that aren't even fully evolved. This should be endgame content so why am I fighting against a level 60 Slowpoke? It's a fucking joke.
    - It kinda feels like it's just setting up for the next DLC. There's only 1 new Pokemon (well 2 I guess since Kubfu evolves) whereas it seems like in the next DLC there will be like... 7? I get the feeling that the second DLC will be a lot bigger/longer. Lets hope it will at least.

Overall, I came away feeling very similarly to how I felt about Sword and Shield. There are some genuine moments of fun and amazement in this game, but they get ruined by all these poor design decisions or small janky things. I was so excited that they added Pokemon following back, but it all came crashing down when I realized as soon as I left the isle they would no longer follow me. I was excited to evolve Kubfu and use him on my team, only to realize that by the time you evolve him, the DLC is basically over.

I'd give it like a 7/10. Some noticable improvements form the base game, but Game Freak still seems intent on cutting corners and making poor decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    This should be endgame content so why am I fighting against a level 60 Slowpoke? It's a fucking joke.
    Because it is not Endgame content. You can go to there as soon as you unlock Wild Area in the main story, and IoA just scales based on your badges like the normal Wild Area does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me guess. You finish all story in 30 min?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Because it is not Endgame content. You can go to there as soon as you unlock Wild Area in the main story, and IoA just scales based on your badges like the normal Wild Area does.
    I didn't say it was. I said it should be. If they want to scale levels based off badges, then they should scale the trainer's teams based off badges and have them be properly evolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Let me guess. You finish all story in 30 min?
    I played for like 5 hours, but I also did a lot of exploring and just ran around catching Pokemon and leveling Kubfu. But yeah if you had the XP candies to boost Kubfu to 70, you could probably beat it in like 30 mins to an hour.

The bad:

- Pokemon ONLY follow you on the Isle of Armor. They do not follow you on the routes in the base game and they do not follow you in the wild areas of the base game. Fucking.... why? What the hell is the point of it then?
    Probably because GameFreak was unwilling to invest the required time and money to QA every following Pokemon in all of the game world to make sure that they didn't get stuck or wacky bugs didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It is hilarious how bad Game Freak's Pokémon game looks...

when compared to Bandai Namco's Pokémon game:
    It isn't comparable when one is literally on rails and more of a scenic show than an actual game.

Okay so I beat Isle of Armor and figured I'd post my thoughts:

The good:

- The Isle of Armor is quite good. The design of it is engaging and it's not all just flat plains. There's a genuine sense of exploration that the wild areas in the base game don't have. If this is what we can expect from the next game, I'm hopeful.
    - Kubfu and Urshifu are really cool Pokemon
    - The story isn't groundbreaking or anything but it has some cute moments and is overall enjoyable for what it is.
    - The final fight is a decent challenge
    - Pokemon follow you in the overworld! (although there are some big caveats)
    - You can now find items that can let you unlock gigantimax for any Pokemon that is eligible
    - There are new clothes and they are pretty cool
    - You get a new bike that also looks pretty cool

The bad:

- There are very little trainer battles. I think there are like 9? And most of them are against trainers who have like 1-2 Pokemon that aren't even fully evolved. This should be endgame content so why am I fighting against a level 60 Slowpoke? It's a fucking joke.
    - It kinda feels like it's just setting up for the next DLC. There's only 1 new Pokemon (well 2 I guess since Kubfu evolves) whereas it seems like in the next DLC there will be like... 7? I get the feeling that the second DLC will be a lot bigger/longer. Lets hope it will at least.

Overall, I came away feeling very similarly to how I felt about Sword and Shield. There are some genuine moments of fun and amazement in this game, but they get ruined by all these poor design decisions or small janky things. I was so excited that they added Pokemon following back, but it all came crashing down when I realized as soon as I left the isle they would no longer follow me. I was excited to evolve Kubfu and use him on my team, only to realize that by the time you evolve him, the DLC is basically over.

I'd give it like a 7/10. Some noticable improvements form the base game, but Game Freak still seems intent on cutting corners and making poor decisions.

From what I recall hearing, the next DLC is suppose to be more story heavy. Definitely a huge stride towards improving the wild area though done in IoA.

The following in the overworld thing, the old stuff probably doesn't support it sadly. Worth tacking on if the following annoys anyone, there's also a kid with a pikachu in the Kitchen of the Dojo that lets you disable the feature it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It isn't comparable when one is literally on rails and more of a scenic show than an actual game.

From what I recall hearing, the next DLC is suppose to be more story heavy. Definitely a huge stride towards improving the wild area though done in IoA.

The following in the overworld thing, the old stuff probably doesn't support it sadly. Worth tacking on if the following annoys anyone, there's also a kid with a pikachu in the Kitchen of the Dojo that lets you disable the feature it seems.
    Definitely get those vibes as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably because GameFreak was unwilling to invest the required time and money to QA every following Pokemon in all of the game world to make sure that they didn't get stuck or wacky bugs didn't happen.
    Which is pretty inexcusable for the highest grossing franchise of all time, but we all know Pokemon Company doesn't give a fuck.