Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    MMO players want power\gear progression, it makes sense.

However, a true competitive game can't have progression, power mostly... that's why you don't get extra power in games like League of Legends, Counter-Strike or Starcraft 2. It's an even playing field, regardless of you having played for 1 day or 5 years.

So, just take WoW's PvP for what it is, a jumbled mess, fun at times... but don't mistake it for 'competitive', please.

The only reason people have fun at WoW's PvP is when they're at a overpowered\unbalanced class\spec, or simply vastly outgear the opponents. No one wants 'fairness' or true balance.
    I actually talked about that with my friend and we came to conclusion that blizzard should just open sometimes tournament realm for people that achieve some X ranking in PvP. Meaning absolutely nothing you do there will come over to your main account, everything would be regularly deleted BUT you will gain access to gear vendors and can compete with other players on the same terms.

And it could be a great spot for community held events.

So long story short, you want to play purely competitive? Earn X ranking and that will get you tournament realm access.
    However I wonder if anyone would be playing there...

Shouldn't this be in the PvP section where that niche of this game goes to die?

Quote Originally Posted by protpaul View Post
    There would be hour long queues after the first step... not many people pvp in wow in ranked. There are hours of the day when rated battle grounds simply cant be done from a lack of 2 teams to fight each other

I would go as far to say that there are more people pet battling right now at the same time then there are people doing rated pvp.

There isn't a population size large enough for your idea
    lets just say for a minute that i believe you because i have never have problems for waiting too much. If thats the case...well, it wouldnt be a coincidence that not many people do pvp these days. I love pvp, but didnt pay another subscription because to be able to be competetive i have to grind and learn a lot of crap through a lot of RNG, is just not encouraging at all.

A system like the one we had back in wotlk with some minor changes would be a lot more appealing for the playerbase.
    Last edited by Piamonte; 2020-06-15 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    lets just say for a minute that i believe you because i have never have problems for waiting too much. If thats the case...well, it wouldnt be a coincidence that not many people do pvp these days. I love pvp, but didnt pay another subscription because to be able to be competetive i have to grind and learn a lot of crap through a lot of RNG, is just not encouraging at all.

A system like the one we had back in wotlk with some minor changes would be a lot more appealing for the playerbase.
    I honestly don't think it would be... at higher ratings pvp has almost no random elements to it just a series of reactions.

Going back to some kind of pvp power means the 1800-200 bracket becomes a nightmare again.

I honestly think people just want to win and feel powerful even if they never can on a even playing field. So they turn to pvp gear to gank newer players and that doesn't seem like a healthy system.

Capping ilv would be a better solution as well as disabling non pvp trinkets and weapon procs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Cant wait for everyone to say here how great this is...while everyone disagreed with me when i asked for this to come back.
    Shadowpunk salty is salty.
    Seems premature for you to be celebrating 1) the return of this, and 2) 'everyone saying how great it is' since neither condition currently exists.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Pvp power is dumb. Also stuff level in pvp is dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    I crated a discussion

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...dowlands-maybe

Also posted on reddit....but that was a shit show with everyone bashing me.
    Let's be fair, whining incessantly about things taking too much time, then actively supporting a time gate... you cant have it both ways without folks catching on and taking you to the woodshed.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Let's be fair, whining incessantly about things taking too much time, then actively supporting a time gate... you cant have it both ways without folks catching on and taking you to the woodshed.
    I only see positives from this though
    Character progression for PvP players
    Pure PvP gearing
    Is butiful

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexchaos View Post
    The main reason that kind of system was implemented was so PVPers don't have to play PVE to get the best gear available or vice versa.
    Having stats specifically for pvp replacing normal stats makes it useless for PVE and stronger for PVP.
    Imo this system gave players more "content" as they needed to gear up for both PVP and PVE which means more play time.
    Only problem with that system was that 98% of your bags was different gear pieces. Honestly they should either make craftbag like in ESO where all your crafting materials etc goes automatically and it is endless. Or make a wardrobe for gear where you can chose your gear pieces and sets so there will be more space in bags. Or give every player free bank summoning ability with no CD could work too.

at higher ratings pvp has almost no random elements to it just a series of reactions.
    and this is bad because... last time i checked people dont like rng

I honestly think people just want to win and feel powerful even if they never can on a even playing field. So they turn to pvp gear to gank newer players and that doesn't seem like a healthy system.
    i think this is just your biased point of view.

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP power was an unnecessary barrier of entry to PvP that dissuaded people from ever even progressing.

Unless you started right out the gate of the expansion in getting PvP gear, you were relegated to farming up battlegrounds while being one-shot, completely unable to participate in the BG at all until you'd randomly won enough matches to be able to scrap some gear together. I know that some people like the romantic interpretation of "well that's putting in your dues! You EARNED it that way!" but the real fact of the matter is... that whole experience just sucked ass.

Having PvP be gear agnostic is the best way to go and allows Blizzard to actually balance the PvP experience as best as possible. For example, say one class is weak with gear at the start of the expansion but, oh look, they scale crazy imbalanced with haste and have a ton of it at the end of the expansion and suddenly high-geared people of that class are maurading through PvP... but you can't nerf them top-end or you completely decimate them everywhere else, requiring blizzard to fundamentally go in and tinker with that class' stats just to re-tune them. Instead, they could have just flat-capped everyone at similar stat levels and then designed around that. No runaway stats at the end of the expansion or weird class scaling issues or any of that nonsense.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am i wrong?
    Why is it a binary choice?

- - - Updated - - -

I only see positives from this though
    Pure PvP gearing
    Is butiful
    Are you saying that time gating = progression? is that REALLY your testimony?

7+ Year Old Account

Arrow

Shadoowpunk
    Pure PvP gearing
    Pure gearing = progression (technically, it was and didn’t go anywhere, it was just absolutely uncompetitive/ineffective = didn’t work as a result, wording should be slightly different here), yes, but there is another part, that have to be happened if they want system to work... but all right, I'm not going to repeat everything here. So:
    <last message about this theme><link with system description><about characteristics in general>
    (also <for extension outlook - about itemization>)

...something like this.

ps. Also about particular topic, I'm not sure that this is exactly what you think it is. Joy is somewhat premature, it can be like some kind of additional special effect on one of private items/toys or local buff. I didn't read into the essence of originals, but there was no confirmation, was it?
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-06-30 at 07:35 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Nah, Ill stay. I don't play ranked pvp, just casual 1400ish arenas and rand bgs. I got 475 gear from pve and i can do relatively well, though not optimal as stat priority is different for pvp than pve. I like the way it works now.

I remember Pvp power in MOP and it was shit. Even with mythic soo gear i was useless, hitting like a wet noodle. Until i grinded many conquest caps and rand bgs so i had a full gear set for pvp. Then i could somewhat manage, hit 1700 rating in 2s (im not a good player in pvp)

3+ Year Old Account
    Resilience back please. That's the only reason I will do PvP again in Retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Pure gearing = progression (technically, it was and didn’t go anywhere, it was just absolutely ecocompetitive/ineffective = didn’t work as a result, wording should be slightly different here), yes, but there is another part, that have to be happened if they want system to work... but all right, I'm not going to repeat everything here. So:
    <last message about this theme><link with system description><about characteristics in general>
    (also <for extension outlook - about itemization>)

...something like this.

ps. Also about particular topic, I'm not sure that this is exactly what you think it is. Joy is somewhat premature, it can be like some kind of additional special effect on one of private items/toys or local buff. I didn't read into the essence of originals, but there was no confirmation, was it?
    Yes, is too early for the party
    I would absolutely throw a party though if this becomes a reality
    Is everything ive been asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Why not just have gear not matter in PvP...didn't legion work like this, or was it WOD? I don't see why gear even plays a role in pvp...Im not a moba or FPS players, but in Counterstrike do people have better guns in that game? Like they do more damage in competitive games. I know in RTS there is no such things.
    Because it's a freaking MMORPG, gear matters, putting time a character matters

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Why not just have gear not matter in PvP...didn't legion work like this, or was it WOD? I don't see why gear even plays a role in pvp...Im not a moba or FPS players, but in Counterstrike do people have better guns in that game? Like they do more damage in competitive games. I know in RTS there is no such things.
    PvP players don't actually enjoy fair competition. It's all about rofl stomping and cheesing.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

If gear shouldn't matter in PVP then it shouldn't matter in PVE either

I honestly have no idea why they removed PvP stat specific gear in the first place. I used to be a PvE player and played a lot of PvP in my spare time, gathering a seperate gearset. It was fun and gave something to do. PvP gear (if it is even called that) right now is just another source for gear which is almost always worse than the gear you get from a mythic + dungeon.

Let the pvp stats roll!