Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I hang around in the PC building communities on reddit, facebook, etc and recommending a prebuilt PC is a recipe for downvotes or getting made fun of. Not everyone has the time or the skill to build a PC. The amount of posts on tech support forms from people screwing something up is really high. Nobody can recommend a prebuilt without being shit on.
    To start you need to realize 2 important things:

- Most prebuilt PCs are horrible values. You are typically paying more than 50% above what the parts cost (and realize that many of the components prebuilt PCs use are absolute garbage and cost even less than the cheapest components you can buy).
    - You can build your own PC in a few hours with very little knowledge.

As for "The amount of posts on tech support forms from people screwing something up is really high." is a pretty small fraction of PCs being built successfully. Go to the support forums of pre-built PCs (or reviews from independent sites), and you'll find the rates are actually about the same, if not higher for pre-built PCs.

You went to a PC building community and recommended what is, in reality, a stupid option to that group. You deserved to be ridiculed no differently than if you went to a car mod community and recommending sticking with a stock vehicle.

I hang around in the PC building communities on reddit, facebook, etc and recommending a prebuilt PC is a recipe for downvotes or getting made fun of. Not everyone has the time or the skill to build a PC. The amount of posts on tech support forms from people screwing something up is really high. Nobody can recommend a prebuilt without being shit on.
    So... you are genuinely surprised that you get ridiculed for recommending prebuilt PCs in PC building communities...

Would you recommend McDonalds burgers for the costumers if you have Michelin Star chefs in your kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It was bad wording on my part though, I should have said same capabilities.
    Yeah, well, that wouldn't be accurate either.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    RAM is ~70-90 euro if you want something decent, but 2666 is also like 70 euro. Because lol, fuck reason.
    SSDs are ~70 for 500gb, and 7200rpm hdds are ~40 euro for 1tb
    so 180 for those together

MOBO is some proprietary B550A, which is just a rebadged b450 with a software switch flipped for PCIe gen 4.
    So a cheapo b450 is ~70 euro again
    PSU is a 400w, they can't even claim 80+ certifications, so.. ~50 euro
    Case looks cheap and shit, and you can get cheap and shit cases for ~40 euro

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dn3hXv
    Total, 975 euro. shipping included.

Or, here, with better RAM, better MOBO, and SSD instead of HHD, for 1157:
    https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/TQ86f9
    You picked an ATX B450 chipset motherboard, in stead of a mini-itx B550. Plus, the motherboard you picked doesn't have either wifi, or bluetooth. You can't leave things out just to serve your narrative.

You've also left out Windows 10 home, which will set you back another €105 from a non grey-market source.

That pre-built doesn't seem all too bad when you're not being disingenuous, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Dude, no need to get so aggressive. I can too, and you won't like it and then report me and pretend I raped you.

You are being ripped off every time you pay for something you can make yourself much better at the same price or much cheaper at the same performance/quality level.
    I couldn't give a flying fuck about the way you speak on a forum; by all means be "aggressive".

No, you're not being ripped off; that's just your interpretation.

If you think "hard" and "easy" aren't subjective, you're literally ignorant. Especially after contradicting yourself again. The mere fact that something can start out hard and gradually become easy, is evidence of your absurdly flawed logic and probably massive deficit in comprehensive thinking.

- Fe, is a chemical element. That's a fact. This fact doesn't change due to variables in skill/competences/knowledge.

- Apple's are tasty. This is an opinion, ergo subjective.

- My son finds trigonometry easy, his friend finds it hard. This discrepancy is called an opinion, ergo subjective.

- You are oblivious to the difference between the objective (facts) and the subjective (opinions) - another example of a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    To start you need to realize 2 important things:

- Most prebuilt PCs are horrible values. You are typically paying more than 50% above what the parts cost
    Oh, now it's "50% above what the parts cost". Wow, you must have done empirical research to come to this accurate conclusion. Might as well ignore all other posts. You know, the ones that contain information showing what you say isn't per definition true.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-06-15 at 03:20 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Because it's fysically impossible to build the same system; you don't need to be a genius to figure this out.
    Wait, what? Have you lost your mind or your ability to think clearly, or are you trying to say something but are using the wrong words so you're saying something other than what you think you're saying?

Or perhaps did your IQ drop to the negatives and you're actually trying to tell me that if I find a prebuilt computer on the internet and I buy the same hardware, that by some magic laws of physics it's literally impossible for me to put together a computer using the same parts, and they'll just liquify in my hands or something? Cause that's what you just said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't care about how people get their computers. When I first started gaming on PCs I just bought prebuilt. The difficulty of upgrading parts and repairing parts due to manufacture specifications turned me off prebuilt and I've just build my own ever since.

10+ Year Old Account
    You picked an ATX B450 chipset motherboard, in stead of a mini-itx B550. Plus, the motherboard you picked doesn't have either wifi, or bluetooth. You can't leave things out just to serve your narrative.

You've also left out Windows 10 home, which will set you back another €105 from a non grey-market source.

That pre-built doesn't seem all too bad when you're not being disingenuous, huh?
    The included MOBO in the prebuilt isn't B550, it's B550A which is re-badged B450 (which I said already). That is literally what it is.. But sure, if you want wifi and BT you can get a PCIe card for about 50 euro to do that. https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/JxY4TC here you go, 1045 euro with wifi and BT in ITX, even though the prebuilt is probably mATX

And paying full price for win10 is ridiculous. Why would you ever do that? Either use the free version, or if you wanna customize it, get the 10-15 euro keys from grey markets. Or, even if you pay full price, it's still over 100 euro cheaper to get the build I put together than the prebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by lakylog View Post
    Wait, what? Have you lost your mind or your ability to think clearly, or are you trying to say something but are using the wrong words so you're saying something other than what you think you're saying?

Or perhaps did your IQ drop to the negatives and you're actually trying to tell me that if I find a prebuilt computer on the internet and I buy the same hardware, that by some magic laws of physics it's literally impossible for me to put together a computer using the same parts, and they'll just liquify in my hands or something? Cause that's what you just said.
    Try to breath, go back a few pages and see to what I replied. Then, if you feel like it, come back and converse, as normally as you possibly can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The included MOBO in the prebuilt isn't B550, it's B550A which is re-badged B450 (which I said already). That is literally what it is.. But sure, if you want wifi and BT you can get a PCIe card for about 50 euro to do that. https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/JxY4TC here you go, 1045 euro with wifi and BT in ITX, even though the prebuilt is probably mATX

And paying full price for win10 is ridiculous. Why would you ever do that? Either use the free version, or if you wanna customize it, get the 10-15 euro keys from grey markets. Or, even if you pay full price, it's still over 100 euro cheaper to get the build I put together than the prebuilt
    You're right, B550A, which is basically B450 without the CPU lock and with pcei gen 4 support.

It's mini-itx accoring to HP's website and there are plenty of reasons to buy windows 10 from a non grey-market vendor. The most important reason is that your activation might not last, due to keys having been stolen, or bought abroad (e.g. China) where keys are disproportionally cheaper. You can find plenty of cases with a mere Google search.

Also, you can actually find pre-built computers without an OS. However, these are often only available for large volume consumers.

In conclusion, the difference is marginal.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-06-15 at 04:50 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Thread: When did buying a prebuilt PC become a taboo in the PC community?
    The first time pre-built PC's were offered for purchase.

More seriously, almost always. Pre-built PC's have always been A. More Expensive and B. Not as good* as something custom built from scratch and C. Often comes with bloatware

*Good as in what the purchaser actually wants for the money they're paying
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Not everyone has the time or the skill to build a PC
    I can only imagine the fear and panic that the thought of assembling furniture from Ikea must strike in these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I can only imagine the fear and panic that the thought of assembling furniture from Ikea must strike in these people.
    Who buys furniture at Ikea...

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    That's pretty much it.

I've been in IT for 25 years. For home use I buy pre-built with warranty, but I spec out what I want. I simply don't want to take the time to build from parts, and then I have to deal with warranty on each individual piece. Time vs money, and while it comes to my pre-built, I specced it out, so I know what I'm getting.

So, pre-built isn't necessarily bad, despite what some would say. I can definitely build a computer, no sweat, but, that's not the business I'm in these days and simply don't want to fool with it.
    Careful, people here are allergic to individuals that think rationally and therefore present arguments that make sense.

Who buys furniture at Ikea...
    Tens of millions of people a year. While Ikea has cheap stuff, they also have very high end stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    While Ikea has cheap stuff, they also have very high end stuff.
    Thanks for making me spit my tea out; high end stuff, haha

But yeah, I know many do, I was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    That's pretty much it.

I've been in IT for 25 years. For home use I buy pre-built with warranty, but I spec out what I want. I simply don't want to take the time to build from parts, and then I have to deal with warranty on each individual piece. Time vs money, and while it comes to my pre-built, I specced it out, so I know what I'm getting.

So, pre-built isn't necessarily bad, despite what some would say. I can definitely build a computer, no sweat, but, that's not the business I'm in these days and simply don't want to fool with it.
    Yes, time/money, having separate warranty on components is way better than having a warranty on the build. Replacing one part is way easier than sending the whole build in incase you have an issue.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Thanks for making me spit my tea out; high end stuff, haha

But yeah, I know many do, I was being sarcastic.
    You were being a deliberately contrary idiot, not sarcastic.

Or, if you were trying fr sarcastic, you failed spectacularly.

And yes, Ikea has high-end furniture. They are well known for their cheap furniture, but they do, indeed have high end furniture that is every bit as good as any high end stuff you can buy elsewhere. Not everything they sell is cheap or falls apart easily.

But hey, keep on truckin. Its amusing to watch you flounder around trying to contradict basic arguments (and failing)

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You were being a deliberately contrary idiot, not sarcastic.

Or, if you were trying fr sarcastic, you failed spectacularly.

And yes, Ikea has high-end furniture. They are well known for their cheap furniture, but they do, indeed have high end furniture that is every bit as good as any high end stuff you can buy elsewhere. Not everything they sell is cheap or falls apart easily.

But hey, keep on truckin. Its amusing to watch you flounder around trying to contradict basic arguments (and failing)
    You missed the sarcasm and you think Ikea has high-end furniture, yet I'm the idiot? Wahahahaha Holy moly, how's the weather in that tiny little world of yours?

Contradicting "basic arguments" too. Beautiful man, beautiful. Hey, why don't you run along and buy some haute couture at the H&M, afterwhich you can have a relaxing dinner at a high quality restaurant like McDonalds; You're definitely worth it!

Thanks for the laughs, buddy. You're positively hilarious
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-06-15 at 11:35 PM.

I have been using gaming laptops for a very long time now. Maybe around 15 years. Before that I always built my own pcs, buying parts from different shops.
    I am not looking into this kind of stuff anymore but I really wonder how hard it got to build a pc from 0 ?

Fit your mobo to your base, attach the power supply. Then put on your cpu-gpu-ram-hdd/ssd into the slots that fits them. You are done already. rest is cables from peripherals. the last time I checked, it was impossible to put the cpu into gpu slot lmao. WHat has changed? and now there are thousands of videos that people can find.

Nobody taught me how to built one. back when I had my mmx 120 cpu computer, I simply thought, it must be hot in the summer within that case and opened the side of it. Saw all the parts inside. thought it was like playing LEGOs. then I built 4 other computers over time.

why would you pay for the name or some shady parts when you can hand pick whatever you want. I am sure there are decent prebuilts for desktops. I am using prebuilt laptops myself. So there must be good ones, but still if I could build a laptop myself, I would do it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    WHat has changed?
    Nothing, really. If anything, it's even easier now.

The whole concept of 'don't have time' is silly. Even for a novice who needs to do some research (or ask on here), we're talking like... a few hours.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I have been using gaming laptops for a very long time now. Maybe around 15 years. Before that I always built my own pcs, buying parts from different shops.
    I am not looking into this kind of stuff anymore but I really wonder how hard it got to build a pc from 0 ?

Fit your mobo to your base, attach the power supply. Then put on your cpu-gpu-ram-hdd/ssd into the slots that fits them. You are done already. rest is cables from peripherals. the last time I checked, it was impossible to put the cpu into gpu slot lmao. WHat has changed? and now there are thousands of videos that people can find.

Nobody taught me how to built one. back when I had my mmx 120 cpu computer, I simply thought, it must be hot in the summer within that case and opened the side of it. Saw all the parts inside. thought it was like playing LEGOs. then I built 4 other computers over time.

why would you pay for the name or some shady parts when you can hand pick whatever you want. I am sure there are decent prebuilts for desktops. I am using prebuilt laptops myself. So there must be good ones, but still if I could build a laptop myself, I would do it too.
    That's backwards, and it's even easier now.

1. Set motherboard on top of motherboard box.
    2. Socket CPU, RAM. Install m.2 SSDs.
    3. Install CPU cooler.
    4. Socket GPU.
    5. Attach PSU to all components. POST.
    6. Remove PSU, GPU.
    7. Install IO shield to case.
    8. Mount motherboard assembly in case.
    9. Install PSU, SATA drives, GPU.
    10. Boot, install Windows.
    11. Install drivers and applications as needed.

What you get with a prebuilt is a warranty and a single point of service for any issues. I had a motherboard fail recently, and testing to determine whether it was the motherboard (new), the CPU (new), the RAM (new), the PSU (secondhand, old and unidentifiable beyond the wattage), or the GPU (secondhand, out of warranty) was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it would post, sometimes it wouldn't. I reseated the RAM. I reseated the GPU. I bought a new PSU and installed it. I reseated the CPU and cooler. I bought a new cooler in case there was an issue with the box cooler, though I didn't think there was because my temps seemed fine. I tried a different (much older) GPU. I gave the GPU back to the friend I bought it from so he could test it on his end.

This whole process took about 3 weeks, just to get to "it's the motherboard". Then I had to submit for an RMA, wait 2 weeks for that to be processed and approved, disassemble the entire PC, then ship out the motherboard, wait 3 weeks for it to be repaired (or more likely replaced) and sent back, then rebuild everything again.

It's working fine now, and I would never do it any other way - I'm a PC tech by trade, so I can do this stuff no problem aside from the time spent. I can absolutely understand why somebody would just want to go to Best Buy or wherever and buy something off the shelf, so they can bring it to Geek Squad and say "It's broken, I have a warranty, fix it".

You are paying for convenience and peace of mind. I think prebuilts charge far too much for those things, but that's just my opinion. Somebody who likes to play games but views a computer as a magic box that you plug wires into probably thinks differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    It's working fine now, and I would never do it any other way - I'm a PC tech by trade, so I can do this stuff no problem aside from the time spent. I can absolutely understand why somebody would just want to go to Best Buy or wherever and buy something off the shelf, so they can bring it to Geek Squad and say "It's broken, I have a warranty, fix it".
    This, 100%. I refuse to troubleshoot my own computer, I do that enough with my clients I don't have the patience to do it myself. I call someone else to troubleshoot and fix mine.