Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Stay tuned for another blast of the past soon: The original Star Marine failure! This is one of my favourite topics, as this is where I finally realized something was very wrong and turned against CIG.
    "It's still in the pipeline!" - 2016

"We weren't hiding our marriage, we simply didn't want it to be publicly known!"

I wanted to keep discussing this seriously, but at this point I'm just popping 'corn and coming to this thread to see what kind of excuse Odeezee and kenn can come up with next. Keep it up boys, it's a source of endless entertainment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    "We weren't hiding our marriage, we simply didn't want it to be publicly known!"
    I said I'd be avoiding the firedump this thread turned into but this one is too good to pass!

Another great example of haters trying to spin things into drama and seeing malice in every mundane thing.

The official video posted bellow has been in the official Star Citizen Channel since 2012 when they were doing the early kickstarting campaign and Chris Roberts does a "in lore" speech to recruit more backers.

Around 0:35 seconds he says and I quote:

"We need all of you! Tell your family! (Camera changes from him to Wife and his 2 kids), Tell your friends! (Camera changes to his friend from the Ascendant Pictures days circa 2002), Tell your Pets if that's what it takes! (Camera zooms in on his Dog)...

Now does that look like something that someone trying to hide his marriage would publish on the internet?

Or Is just that when your kickstart campaign reaches world wide exposure you start shielding your personal life better so that you don't end up being harassed by exactly the kind of toxic and obsessive internet creeps we find in this thread?

But hey, "they aren't making the game I want and I need revenge" so I guess anything goes.

To provide some actual pertinent discussion I'll expand on why I think blaming all the new features "Feature Creep" for delays is a misconception.

The main reason why the game is taking so long compared with the original "Estimated Date" in the Kickstarter is not because they keep adding new ships, land plots, or facial capture.

The main reason lies in the core changes made in the games original design that touch basically everything around them. These changes were so drastic that they basically reseted previous core development.

- Seamless MegaMap (Transition to 64bit precision and making the playable area "infinite" without needing loading screens. Done between 2014-2015) ✔

The original design was very similar to Freelancer where the game area size was limited so they had to "stitch" small instanced areas together and player interaction would be determined by the server connecting those instances and not seamlessly, kinda like what the Darks Souls game do.

- Full scale planetary bodies (Made possible when the some of the original CryEngine engineers joined CIG in 2015. Done) ✔

The original design with planets was again, similar to Freelancer. When in space you would transition to a instance where there would be a graphic of a planet, you'd ask permission to land and the game would take control of you and load an animation of you arriving to the planet city area. Black screen and you'd be controlling a avatar from 3rd person view with mouse clicks. Go To Bar > Click! > Talk to the bartender > Click! > Accept quest! > Click! > Leave Planet > Click! > Off you go.

That's why their original pledge goals mentions the 100 star systems goals. Because going to Planets was no more than a wallpaper loading screen and a building or two. Now we have effectively more gameplay area in the tinniest moon than we would have in all of the original idea. That's a huge task to develop at that scale, and why they started with a system so big and varied as the Stanton System.

The work done on each planet and moon is used as a learning experience and template to build all the others. They have built the tools to generate a big variety of biomes and mix them seamlessly and they can mix them as they wish. Making the tools and developing and perfecting a production pipeline for planets is the hard and time consuming part.

Those are done by small teams of specialized engineers trying and failing until they got the mix of fidelity / performance right. That's why they take so much time. With all the systems and tools made and refined you then train other dev's to work on them and leverage the production. Then you put multiple teams working at the same time all making planets and moons, just like you can put several teams making ship's, weapons, gear, creatures and so on.

- Massive Online Universe »» Work In Progress »»

With the megamap and seamless planets they opened the game area space for every player, now it needs to be an infrastructure to hold those players and that's what they have been working for so long. Creating that infrastructure to hold players and NPC's is a huge undertaking and ofc is the job of specialized network engineers.

Until those guys work that out whatever new features/ships/land plots/Facetracking/pets/caves/prisons they add aren't the reason for the game not being released so not "feature creep" in the sense mosts people like to use them and blame CIG/Roberts management for the game being late.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-06-16 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Black screen and you'd be controlling a avatar from 3rd person view with mouse clicks. Go To Bar > Click! > Talk to the bartender > Click! > Accept quest! > Click! > Leave Planet > Click! > Off you go.
    Never, ever heard that mentioned before. Are you sure you're not thinking of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

They always talked about 2 or 3 hero locations on planets which were going to be like the original ArcCorp of 2015 where you would have small but fully explorable areas with various shops and things in it. There would also be a manned customs area which players would need to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Never, ever heard that mentioned before. Are you sure you're not thinking of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

They always talked about 2 or 3 hero locations on planets which were going to be like the original ArcCorp of 2015 where you would have small but fully explorable areas with various shops and things in it. There would also be a manned customs area which players would need to pass through.
    This was written back in November 2012 when they talk about Multiplayer/Single-Player/Instancing:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...And-Instancing

Then again I'm not sure reading it again since he talks about the Galaxy Server and how it deals with player interaction. Anyway this was ages ago when the project was basically only ideas, then funding picked up and it's core become what we have now in the PU.

*Edit to expand on contextualization*

That original design doc (2012) was before money started raining, after that they expanded the design to fully model small explorable areas in first person aka social module circa 2014. In 2015+ scope expanded again when they managed to make full scale planets and decided the build whole cities in them and ended up, again, refactoring most of their old assets to accommodate seamless planetary landings.

This might seem a lot of wasted time but if you think on the long term playability it just makes all the sense. With automatic landings you'd be stuck with the same boring transition with 0 gameplay input while going with seamless ones it becomes part of the core experience where you put your flying skill to the test every time you land while also allowing for player interaction, in short not only it doesn't become old or boring but increased the replay value and gameplay options.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-06-16 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    [*]CIG has stated that they WILL stop selling ships once the game goes live., which is their main source of income.
    No, the optional subscriber and eventual shop cosmetics will become the new main source as it won't be as resource intensive as it is now during the biggest development phase and the reason they're going to stop selling them is to make them acquirable in-game through playing.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    No, the optional subscriber and eventual shop cosmetics will become the new main source as it won't be as resource intensive as it is now during the biggest development phase and the reason they're going to stop selling them is to make them acquirable in-game through playing.
    The current subs atm at least around 15k for a completely optional sub just for cosmetic items, that number could easily increase a large amount and would be more than enough revenue alone, players like unique cosmetics so 100k subs should be more than reasonable to achieve when the game is released.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The current subs atm at least around 15k for a completely optional sub just for cosmetic items, that number could easily increase a large amount and would be more than enough revenue alone, players like unique cosmetics so 100k subs should be more than reasonable to achieve when the game is released.
    Or it could easily not increase a large amount or it wouldn't be more than enough revenue even if it did. I love your random guesses on how much money would be enough. As if they don't go out of their way to gouge their playerbase and target super whales. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Why did you say "No" when you didn't even disagree with me?

Not a word I wrote mentioned what their future income would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    whats the difference between warbond and standard banu defender? warbond is actually cheaper, is it worse?

also is there a way to buy separately it without upgrading a different ship? id like to keep my titan too
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    whats the difference between warbond and standard banu defender? warbond is actually cheaper, is it worse?

also is there a way to buy separately it without upgrading a different ship? id like to keep my titan too
    The war bond Banu Defender is the same as the standard version, just for a discounted price, which is limited time only (ends tomorrow). You'll always save money whether you're buying the ship outright upgrading. A common tactic is to upgrade warbond to warbond to save money each time, and those savings add up. For example, you could save ~$100 bucks on the Valkyrie last sale by starting with a g12 and upgrading to each warbond ship between it and the Valkyrie. However, you can't do that right now as the only warbond ship available is the Banu Defender, so if you want it you will just have to drop the raw $220 on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also beware that you can't buy warbond ships using store credit. Ie, you can't melt a game package or a ship you don't like for RSI store credit, and then use that to buy the ship. You have to buy Warbond ships using new cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Also beware that you can't buy warbond ships using store credit. Ie, you can't melt a game package or a ship you don't like for RSI store credit, and then use that to buy the ship. You have to buy Warbond ships using new cash.
    i still dont understand what is the store credit? the ingame or real money?

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i still dont understand what is the store credit? the ingame or real money?
    Let's say you buy a Constellation Andromeda for $225. You decide you don't like it. Well, you can't refund the ship to get your $225 back IRL, but you can reclaim/melt the ship for $225 of store credit. That store credit can only be used to buy other stuff in the RSI store, like other ships.

However, you cannot use store credit to buy war bond ships. If you bought a Connie for $225 and refunded it for $225 of store credit, you cannot use that $225 store credit to buy a War Bond Banu Defender. You either have to 1. buy the War Bond Banu Defender for an additional $220, OR you can use your $225 store credit to buy a ship (ie, the 325a for $70), and the upgrade that ship to the War Bond Banu Defender for the difference (there is a discount when upgrading to a War Bond ship).

For example, if you had $70 of store credit, you could buy a 325a, and the spend another $130 (new IRL money, not storecredit) to upgrade it to the war bond Banu Defender.

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC the most expensive ship that you can buy right now with storecredit to then upgrade to the war bond Banu Defender ($220) is the Prospector (which is $140). You would then have to spend another $70 (of new IRL money, not store credit) to upgrade that the Banu Defender. The next biggest ship is the Constellation Andromeda, which is $225, which is $5 more than the Defender so you can't upgrade from the Andromeda to the war bond Defender.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think i get it now. at least partially

u are very helpful

10+ Year Old Account
    u did the graphic yourself? <3

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone actually use the mobile authenticator?
    im using two step authentication method with email right now

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So when does this game release?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    When the Browns win the super bowl.

Assuming they don't run out of money and looking at the current progress we can expect actual first alpha build in around 2023 to 2024 and maybe beta somewhere in mid-late 2020s. Actual release date most likely is near 2030
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Is that $220 a real money?

Why would it release? The developers are literally being paid for promises and tech demos. Releasing it means having to meet the criticism head on, and becoming unable to sell dreams.