Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Persona 4: Golden - Now on Steam!

Who else is finally getting to play this game for the first time?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

*raises hand*

Though I didn't expect I'd start struggling even in the very first dungeon. Bronze Dice with massive AoE suicide, Heat Balance without weaknesses and with potential to oneshot Chie, Positive King that is just waste of time, because I don't have enough damage to kill it before he leaves and can't utilize weaknesses either, Burning Beetle with big physical damage and potential to be very annoying if he spawns with another mob that gives him Ice Resistance. If that's just game intro, I'm a bit concerned about what kind of bullshit it throws at you after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    *raises hand*

Though I didn't expect I'd start struggling even in the very first dungeon. Bronze Dice with massive AoE suicide, Heat Balance without weaknesses and with potential to oneshot Chie, Positive King that is just waste of time, because I don't have enough damage to kill it before he leaves and can't utilize weaknesses either, Burning Beetle with big physical damage and potential to be very annoying if he spawns with another mob that gives him Ice Resistance. If that's just game intro, I'm a bit concerned about what kind of bullshit it throws at you after that.
    You'll get the hang of it! I didn't quite have that much difficulty, but definitely upgrade gear and buy some medicines when you can. How far are you now?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    This had to come out right as I was finally about to start up Persona 5... Now I am torn between 4 Golden or 5. I played the hell outa 3 way back when and did play some of 4 before my PS2 died and I never owned a Vita. Recommendations? 4 Golden vs. 5?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You'll get the hang of it! I didn't quite have that much difficulty, but definitely upgrade gear and buy some medicines when you can. How far are you now?
    Cleared the boss on my second try (fused Forneus which really helped to hit weakness while Chie was silenced), probably going to work on social links now.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    This had to come out right as I was finally about to start up Persona 5... Now I am torn between 4 Golden or 5. I played the hell outa 3 way back when and did play some of 4 before my PS2 died and I never owned a Vita. Recommendations? 4 Golden vs. 5?
    Tough call, Persona 5 is an all-around better game gameplay-wise thanks to a lot of QoL improvements as well as better designed dungeons (especially in Royal's case) but 4 Golden is a really good game and it honestly might be harder to get into the gameplay after playing through 5 but both have solid stories and characters (4 has better characters while 5 has the better story but neither are bad).

The biggest issue is that these are long games and though 4 is shorter we're still talking a 60+ hour playtime so it might be hard to play 5 after getting through 4 due to burn out. Still, I would recommend 4 first if only because you'll have an easier time enjoying it without having 5 to compare it to.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 first.

While 4 has arguably a stronger cast of characters, there's gameplay refinements in 5 that could make going from 5 to 4 rougher.

4 because the story doesn't treat you like an idiot like 5 does.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    4 because the story doesn't treat you like an idiot like 5 does.
    Not sure if serious. Yosuke literally breaks down the entire story so far for you at every damn meeting.

Persona games are all like this as are long JRPGs in general because they don't intend for people to binge them, they assume people have lives and will digest them over weeks or months so they need reminders of the plot so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not sure if serious. Yosuke literally breaks down the entire story so far for you at every damn meeting.

Persona games are all like this as are long JRPGs in general because they don't intend for people to binge them, they assume people have lives and will digest them over weeks or months so they need reminders of the plot so far.
    Completely serious. I don't remember it being that bad in 4 but in 5 you get the same scene three times in direct succession. First in dialogue, then in animated cutscenes, and finally in in-game cutscenes.

I'd definitely start with 4 first. 4 and especially 3 are way... rougher than 5 due to loads of gameplay and general QoL improvements. Better start with those and enjoy the improvements afterwards. If possible, i'd also go with 5 Royal, since that improves quite a bit again (like ranged weapons not being completely useless)

Genuine question: Can somebody explain to me, who is generally allergic to anime and weeb-stuff, what makes the persona-franchise special? Maybe i could like it. Thank you in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Tough call, Persona 5 is an all-around better game gameplay-wise thanks to a lot of QoL improvements as well as better designed dungeons (especially in Royal's case) but 4 Golden is a really good game and it honestly might be harder to get into the gameplay after playing through 5 but both have solid stories and characters (4 has better characters while 5 has the better story but neither are bad).

The biggest issue is that these are long games and though 4 is shorter we're still talking a 60+ hour playtime so it might be hard to play 5 after getting through 4 due to burn out. Still, I would recommend 4 first if only because you'll have an easier time enjoying it without having 5 to compare it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    4 first.

While 4 has arguably a stronger cast of characters, there's gameplay refinements in 5 that could make going from 5 to 4 rougher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    I'd definitely start with 4 first. 4 and especially 3 are way... rougher than 5 due to loads of gameplay and general QoL improvements. Better start with those and enjoy the improvements afterwards. If possible, i'd also go with 5 Royal, since that improves quite a bit again (like ranged weapons not being completely useless)
    Well I wasn't really planning on playing them back to back or anything. Hell, with the way games sit in my backlog, I may only ever play the one. I mostly asked because I thought the consensuses was that P4 Golden was the better game all around. I mean, that games got loads of praise and while I know people liked P5 as well, I don't recall it getting nearly as much hype. Now I am thinking I may just stick with P5. Probably not going to go with Royal though as I already own the original and paying $40-60 for an upgraded version of a game I already own and have not played seems excessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Genuine question: Can somebody explain to me, who is generally allergic to anime and weeb-stuff, what makes the persona-franchise special? Maybe i could like it. Thank you in advance.
    I am going to guess if you are not a fan of anime and "weeb-stuff", you probably are not going to enjoy Persona either. It is just about the most anime JRPG franchise ever and that is a genre that is pretty anime to begin with.

Probably not going to go with Royal though as I already own the original and paying $40-60 for an upgraded version of a game I already own and have not played seems excessive.
    It's way more then an upgraded version. Vanilla P5 is straight up worse then P5R in every imaginable way. On top of that P5 Vanilla somehow has way less content but takes the same amount of time to finish because of lack of QoL features Royal has and way longer loading times then Royal.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're "generally allergic to anime and weeb stuff", It's probably not worth bothering.

Having at least some level of tolerance for that sort of stuff is useful when dealing with story heavy jRPGs. A story that focuses on the daily lives of high school teenagers in a Japanese setting alongside a dose of dungeon crawling is right up that alley.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to guess if you are not a fan of anime and "weeb-stuff", you probably are not going to enjoy Persona either. It is just about the most anime JRPG franchise ever and that is a genre that is pretty anime to begin with.
    Is it /that/ weeb?

I don't know, I'm not really a weeb, but there's something about P4 that is just kinda cute and fun to me. The music is catchy. The story is interesting (to me, at least?) and the characters are believable. They have their weaknesses and strengths and definitely fleshed out personalities. I can appreciate that, whether it is in an anime style or not. Monday night into Tuesday morning (I work overnights...) I binged the game for about 8-9 ours lol and I think then Tuesday afternoon is when I saved Yukiko.

There's just something about this game.
    @XDurionX honestly you could try watching a video or two of it, or hell just buy it, I mean it's only $20 and with Steam's refund policy now, you might be able to see /enough/ of the game to make a decision all for yourself. I don't actively watch anime at all (Studio Ghibli is not normal anime, damn it, and it's been months if not a year since I watched one of those videos, gotta fix that) and yet I am enthralled by this game. It's a murder-mystery and I want to get to the bottom of it! To hell with the disguise it puts on itself, can you follow the mystery element? Do you like it? Do you like developing relationships? Some turn-based combat? I say give it a shot.
    "A flower.

Is it /that/ weeb?

I don't know, I'm not really a weeb, but there's something about P4 that is just kinda cute and fun to me. The music is catchy. The story is interesting (to me, at least?) and the characters are believable. They have their weaknesses and strengths and definitely fleshed out personalities. I can appreciate that, whether it is in an anime style or not. Monday night into Tuesday morning (I work overnights...) I binged the game for about 8-9 ours lol and I think then Tuesday afternoon is when I saved Yukiko.

@XDurionX honestly you could try watching a video or two of it, or hell just buy it, I mean it's only $20 and with Steam's refund policy now, you might be able to see /enough/ of the game to make a decision all for yourself. I don't actively watch anime at all (Studio Ghibli is not normal anime, damn it, and it's been months if not a year since I watched one of those videos, gotta fix that) and yet I am enthralled by this game. It's a murder-mystery and I want to get to the bottom of it! To hell with the disguise it puts on itself, can you follow the mystery element? Do you like it? Do you like developing relationships? Some turn-based combat? I say give it a shot.
    I enjoy Persona as much as anyone on this forum but I hate to be the bearer of bad news... sounds like you're closet weeb.

Persona is literally half JRPG and half dating sim. It doesn't get any more "weeby" then those 2 genres let alone when you mash them together. Persona is absolutely super weeby, and at the same time it's ok to like weeby things.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-06-17 at 10:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Four I'd say, the difference in obtaining persona's, dungeon completion stages/cycle and various other mechanical things makes the 4 to 5 transition better than 5 to 4. Also if you're playing persona for the first time four does a better job of explaining how and what activities boost stats and has a weaker social link system than 5 so you have something to look forward to.

Well it's essentially Anime Scooby Doo but instead of a Dog it's a Bear/Cat and instead of a van it's a TV/Cat. Also the crimes are significantly more dark to solve in Persona and you do more of the dressing up than the villain's costumes.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it /that/ weeb?

It is that weeb, yes. A game where it is an optimal strategy to condense the whole dungeon part down into knocking it out in a single one day visit (besides maybe returning once if you want the optional bosses), and then spending weeks of in game days afterwards doing nothing but visual novel type story content about the daily lives of high school teenagers is very much weeb content.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh no I am a weeb

Eh, that's okay.

I guess I didn't know how dating-aspect-strong this game was. :P Suppose it makes sense since so many days I find myself wanting to try and focus on some other parts of the game, like the social aspects, the two clubs, and the job. Gotta be able to fund those dungeon runs!

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention... Teacher Mr. Moron who is always telling us not to go trying to get close to girls. Hmmm... should have figured that one out lol
    "A flower.