Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I've been benched... what now?

This hasn't ever happened to me before... I usually am leading the pack in any group or guild I've joined but now... now I'm told they simply can't bring that many melee for the fight.

I admit to being a bit lost.. my first reaction was not... well not very mature I accused them of conspiracy and punishing me for bad luck on drops pre vendor... but now that everything has settled down I'm a bit lost....

What does one do while benched...? Do I pug mythic? I'm not really sure what to do while waiting to see if I'm needed for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by protpaul View Post
    This hasn't ever happened to me before... I usually am leading the pack in any group or guild I've joined but now... now I'm told they simply can't bring that many melee for the fight.

I admit to being a bit lost.. my first reaction was not... well not very mature I accused them of conspiracy and punishing me for bad luck on drops pre vendor... but now that everything has settled down I'm a bit lost....

What does one do while benched...? Do I pug mythic? I'm not really sure what to do while waiting to see if I'm needed for backup.
    so im assuming they are 12/12M?

Honestly, do some thinking about WHY you were benched. Is it your performance, attendance, attitude, or outright BS favoritism from the RL?
    Last edited by arkanon; 2020-06-17 at 05:29 AM.

Play Classic instead, I've heard that the Classic raids are much more difficult than mythic raids on retail (LOL) and the boss mechanic is gruesome.

/s

Mythic raiding has certain demands, and guilds usually have rosters of >20 raiders so they don't fold every time someone can't make raid night. Benching is an inevitable reality of mythic raiding.

What's the fight?

What is your class/spec?

How is your performance?

If you're benched because of the specific demands of the fight vis-a-vis your guild's roster, that's understandable. If you're being benched because your guild doesn't trust you to perform up to the standards they would like, or because the other player they bring outperforms you, then it's a different matter. If they're right, it's on you, and you need to do better. If they're wrong, maybe there is a bias against you for whatever reason, and you might perhaps want to entertain the idea of finding a new guild.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    so im assuming they are 12/12M?

Honestly, do some thinking about WHY you were benched. Is it your performance, attendance, attitude, or outright BS favoritism from the RL?
    11/12 why the last push stings a bit. I think it's based on past performance but in a way that doesn't really feel fair.

I have had the most abysmal luck this tier compared to any other I've run. Till the vender came in I was running stars on a absurdly low ilv item as my best corruption the second was one less then half as good .

The vendor did fix this and now I have respectable 80% parses but it didn't really correct it till last week.

I get the mentality hell we had people reroll from melee to range for this so while I reacted poorly I do get the reasoning.

I just don't really know what to do while I'm on the bench... I've already puged for my Jaina mount and farmed nightbane. I've more or less checked all my boxes for what I do in a week beyond raiding.

If that was N'zoth progress there is a chance your group needed immunity class and you did not have it or they needed a certain buff. There is alsa a chance you neglected some of previous assigments or maybe there is somekind of personal grudge towards you. Melee are often cut off

Quote Originally Posted by Shakhar View Post
    If that was N'zoth progress there is a chance your group needed immunity class and you did not have it or they needed a certain buff. There is alsa a chance you neglected some of previous assigments or maybe there is somekind of personal grudge towards you. Melee are often cut off
    Facts. Best thing to do is follow mechanics flawlessly and be top dog against fellow melee. At least that way you lock in one of the few melee slots.

If you got benched for one boss, make sure you get a specific reason. E.g. "We need one more ranged class with an immunity for xyz mechanic."

If you got benched for the entire run (meaning they don't even think you're worth gearing up before getting to the progression boss): I'd personally start looking for a new guild.

Depending on how lax your guild is, you can let your guild leader know you feel restless so you'll be looking to PuG on the weeks they're not planning on bringing you. They can't exactly complain, but it carries a risk that you may potentially lose that bench spot in the situation where whoever they were taking over you ends up not working out for whatever reason. If you really value the people you play with, it could be worth it to wait a while and I'd personally probably give it a month arbitrarily but I probably also wouldn't wait forever. If you really want to play and can't stand waiting for the spot to open up, look into other groups who may be willing to bring you on temporarily or as a trial and let them know about your situation. Most groups will be understanding of your situation and look forward to the opportunity to poach potential good talent if it's not being appreciated. There's also the possibility that you may not be meshing well with your group in terms of personality, in which case applying elsewhere would be better for everyone.

Every serious guild has to maintain a bench. At a certain level it has to be about the team. You can't cancel a whole night of progress because one person can't make it.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Depending on how lax your guild is, you can let your guild leader know you feel restless so you'll be looking to PuG on the weeks they're not planning on bringing you. They can't exactly complain, but it carries a risk that you may potentially lose that bench spot in the situation where whoever they were taking over you ends up not working out for whatever reason. If you really value the people you play with, it could be worth it to wait a while and I'd personally probably give it a month arbitrarily but I probably also wouldn't wait forever. If you really want to play and can't stand waiting for the spot to open up, look into other groups who may be willing to bring you on temporarily or as a trial and let them know about your situation. Most groups will be understanding of your situation and look forward to the opportunity to poach potential good talent if it's not being appreciated. There's also the possibility that you may not be meshing well with your group in terms of personality, in which case applying elsewhere would be better for everyone.
    I fit in pretty well we even play other games. What drama there was to be had was mostly my fault... it was just built up frustration for months I've underperformed when since tbc onward I always naturally excelled with few exceptions ( I could not get arcane mage in hellfire for example).

It was made worse after the vendors because suddenly like flipping a switch I was back at what is best described as my fighting weight instantly over night.

I don't blame them not really... if you had someone sandbagging for months and then the very week before they turn into one of your best players would you trust them to perform? More so if they joined that tier and you had never seen them before?

Beyond my poor reaction at first I'm not that upset a little disappointed but more...unsure in what I should do during what was raid time. I don't really want to do ranked pvp or mythic + if I have to leave suddenly.

11/12 why the last push stings a bit. I think it's based on past performance but in a way that doesn't really feel fair.

I have had the most abysmal luck this tier compared to any other I've run. Till the vender came in I was running stars on a absurdly low ilv item as my best corruption the second was one less then half as good .

The vendor did fix this and now I have respectable 80% parses but it didn't really correct it till last week.

I get the mentality hell we had people reroll from melee to range for this so while I reacted poorly I do get the reasoning.

I just don't really know what to do while I'm on the bench... I've already puged for my Jaina mount and farmed nightbane. I've more or less checked all my boxes for what I do in a week beyond raiding.
    Sounds like their reasoning is fair, assuming they replaced you with a higher performing player. You have options obviously, but no one can really tell you what to do:

- Plenty of guilds are short on numbers this late into the expac, so you could run with a different guild on a different night.
    - You could join a pug
    - You could leave the guild, and try to find a new one
    - You could literally sit there on raid night and just wait to see if you are needed (expected by most guilds for benched core raiders)
    - You could swap to a ranged alt if its closely geared, and try to get it up to par.

Ultimately, no one can tell you what to do - its your decision and we obviously dont have all the information, and its unlikely even you have that,.

I fit in pretty well we even play other games. What drama there was to be had was mostly my fault... it was just built up frustration for months I've underperformed when since tbc onward I always naturally excelled with few exceptions ( I could not get arcane mage in hellfire for example).

It was made worse after the vendors because suddenly like flipping a switch I was back at what is best described as my fighting weight instantly over night.

I don't blame them not really... if you had someone sandbagging for months and then the very week before they turn into one of your best players would you trust them to perform? More so if they joined that tier and you had never seen them before?

Beyond my poor reaction at first I'm not that upset a little disappointed but more...unsure in what I should do during what was raid time. I don't really want to do ranked pvp or mythic + if I have to leave suddenly.
    Did you actually find out why you were benched?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlikemyrage View Post
    Did you actually find out why you were benched?
    Limited melee spots and a feeling that rather then poor luck it was my laziness that set me back early in the tier. I mean we had people reroll range for the right it wasn't entirely unexpected.

We always bench people as we are more than 20 players. No way around it.
    Normally we follow a rotation unless certain bosses demand a certain setup. Vexione Immunities, Xanesh people who CAN play it etc...

Nothing to get mad about. You get the kill at some point. I rarely get benched as there are allready not enough ranged players and i can heal if needed too
    Go with the flow^^

our DK who was perma benched for nzoth (mostly for class reasons) progress basically just went on break. and now that we have it on farm we will probably just get him cutting edge sometime.

usually just talking to your GM can resolve this kinda issue. clear up any misunderstandings.

pugging mythic (on your main) without their approval is high risk to losing your spot permanently.

you can also join a boosting community to pass the time. lots of people doing that atm.

Hop in a pug doing M zothy Get that kill before them! You gotta do it bro! You just gotta make it happen! But don't fucking pay for a carry, you gotta get it legit then laugh at them
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

”Gasp” and here i’ve been keeping up with ilvl this whole expansion and never stpped foot in a raid.

My point is, why care about raiding if you can get items through different means any way?

Only reason to ever do raids were because blizz put the highest/best gear there, If you can get same ilvl elsewhere then why care about raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Hop in a pug doing M zothy Get that kill before them! You gotta do it bro! You just gotta make it happen! But don't fucking pay for a carry, you gotta get it legit then laugh at them
    boost only cost 3m or something. spend a few weeks boosting M+ and you can probably just buy it before they kill it, depending on how far into the fight they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    ”Gasp” and here i’ve been keeping up with ilvl this whole expansion and never stpped foot in a raid.

My point is, why care about raiding if you can get items through different means any way?

Only reason to ever do raids were because blizz put the highest/best gear there, If you can get same ilvl elsewhere then why care about raiding?
    cause:
    1) the best gear is still from the raid. best azerite traits, 485 ilvl, best trinkets, etc.
    2) GASP maybe its fun?

You can just raid with another guild. Let your raid leader know you either can help on their raid nights as bench if you still feel like doing it, or that you won't be available to bench because you'll be raiding with another group because you want to raid. Raiders understand the desire to raid. If they're expecting you to stay benched, it would be reasonable to ask them how long you can expect to be benched. And if the answer is basically indefinitely, then you need to look elsewhere if you're looking to raid. Again, if the shake-up in roster is recent and hasn't even been a month yet, I'd say it's debatable if you've permanently lost your spot or not and I'd personally give it a little bit before calling it quits on them, but ultimately if you want to raid you need to make an effort to. It's not really fair of them to expect you to stay on bench forever, especially if you've been a part of progress for the entire tier and end up getting tossed out for the last boss. There are very likely other 11/12 groups out there that would love to have you, and they probably play at a time that can accommodate what you're looking for whether you still want to help your current group out as a bench or not. Also it probably goes without saying, but you may want to consider talking about what happened and maybe if it's relevant or applicable, an apology can always help smooth things over even if you're not entirely in the wrong and even if they seem to understand what happened.