Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Are You Expected To Know How To Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Tank, And/ Or Heal?

Basically, I prefer Feral Druid, and ONLY Feral Druid. Would I be required to do Balance (Ranged DPS), Guardian (Tank), and/ or Restoration?

No. You’re expected to know how to play the spec you came to play.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by letgoit View Post
    No. You’re expected to know how to play the spec you came to play.
    That wasn't really what I meant, I meant more like, am I expected sometimes to switch to a spec/ role I am not very good at/ don't prefer?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean sometimes a friend of mine heals when we lack some healer tho he is a dps player. I wouldnt say it is expected tho, esspecially since tanking for example requires some knowledge even outside your spec.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    am I expected sometimes to switch to a spec/ role I am not very good at/ don't prefer?
    Possibly at some point but its your account and toon. Play how you choose and if you run with a group that can't respect that, you should find another group.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

It's like good manners. There is no law that forces you, but people will like you more if you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are in a high end guild = yes. For others = play what you want or if you want to help out if they are missing a role and make sure the raid doesn't get called or something.
    I main a guardain, I can decently do resto but I suck at balance and will not poke feral with a stick . But I do highly prefer to raid as a tank. For PUGs I won't switch, for guild I will if needed. Each swap requires trait change on gear as well if one lacks sets for different specs.

No, but it helps. Especially switching between DPS and healing.

If you're one of your guilds main tanks, then it's less important. You're never really going to need to do anything other than tank.

Basically, I prefer Feral Druid, and ONLY Feral Druid. Would I be required to do Balance (Ranged DPS), Guardian (Tank), and/ or Restoration?
    No one can force you. But every druid DPS player i know can switch to heal or tank if need be. Tanks and Healers mostly don't.

really depends where you're playing and with whom

If you join a guild that doesn't demand that you know how to play your other specs/other roles and you join specifically as a Cat,it should be fine.

I'm sure people would still appreciate if you knew how to play the others if needed,but still,you'll be fine with just Feral.

It's nice to know more roles, I can do anything but my guildies don't want me to do anything else than dps if a tank/healer isn't absolutely needed, but to have the capacity to do other roles is a good thing.

That being said, I don't expect anyone else to do more than the roles they want, but in my experience many people are flexible. But if we take your druid, and I take my paladin, I only want to heal on it since I don't think ret and prot is fun to play, at all. I am not flexible on that one, but then again I got more chars with other roles I prefer. I totally understand you though, I can relate.

Required for what? In almost every case the answer is no.

Outside of high end hardcore raiding guilds, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Relaxed guilds usually take the approach of letting people play what they want. They may ask if someone has an offspec, but not more beyond that. Everyone understands that it's better not to have a raid at all, than to have a completely scuffed tank who only played that role 3 times in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    It's like good manners. There is no law that forces you, but people will like you more if you do.
    Not really. Bad manners is something that can usually be fixed without too much effort, skill or knowledge. It's usually just about whether you want to act in some way or not. Playing a completely different spec on your character that you may dislike, not know how to play or simply be bad at it is not comparable at all.

As a dps warrior I never tanked anything throughout BfA, except for timewalking dungeons and maybe 1-2 mythic0 to help a real life friend. It's not just because I didn't want to, but also because I'm just not very good at it and it's a bit too complicated for me. Especially when tanking is not just about using your abilities but has a lot to do with encounter awareness and such. Both me and my raid leader(s) were aware that asking someone who doesn't know tank to perform that role will just produce shitty results and it's better to cancel a raid instead.

If I really wanted to use a real life example, I'd probably go with asking someone who doesn't drive a car, but just tried it for 1 hour in some deserted place, to drive you home. That person declining is not bad manners. It's the logical thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    No one can force you. But every druid DPS player i know can switch to heal or tank if need be. Tanks and Healers mostly don't.
    Sounds like you are playing in a more hardcore environment. Most players are not able to do that, and the best proof of that is how every queuable content takes ages to find a group because there's not enough tanks and healers. Casual raiding guilds are mostly able to raid as long as they have active tanks. One tank quitting can sometimes cause a complete break up of such a guild. I've been through that in BfA.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-06-18 at 11:49 AM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

15+ Year Old Account
    It certainly doesn't hurt to have yourself set up for healing if the group requires it but it really depends on your group.

I've been in raid teams where I wouldn't have had my spot if I wasn't willing to have a healing offspec on my characters that have that option where as I did the whole of BFA on a Shaman without a healing spec ready and my new raid team never once asked me to sort it, either.

Well, being flexible with your specs is ALWAYS an upside.

Most progression driven guilds will take people who can fill more than one role over one trick ponies anytime, that's a common sense.

I currently play on 6 characters (druid, shaman, hunter, monk, paladin, DH), and on all of them I can play every spec adequately in a PvE setting up to mythic raids (except Holy on my paladin and Feral on my druid; neither of which I have ever needed to utilize). I think it's good practice to have a good grasp on everything your class can offer, especially if you play with a regular group of people who might need you in a pinch if someone of a certain role can't make it.

What is this "only the best of the best of the best SIR" nonsense?

If you do organised group content at all (I.e anything beyond heroic 5 mans or lfr) people will expect you to know your class and may even ask you to tank/heal for the group.

I've played with one of the best feral druids on earth and even she was constantly asked to go resto/bear for the weekly 15 chest. Hell I was basically the third tank for my guild if either actual tank was sick and I almost always had to tank m+.

It's just easier for everyone if hybrid players can play tank and or heals.

No, you're not expected to do anything you don't like. It's a bonus and may get you invited to more raids if you can also tank/heal on top of dps, but it's not a requirement...

unless you're a hunter and the raid has a mechanic that is best handled by hunter, then you HAVE to do it or GTFO
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-06-18 at 11:50 AM.

Not in general no. But as a Guild Officer I can tell you that finding people to fill the critical roles of Heal and Tank can be a right pain in the ass so we always gladly take people that can fill more then one role. I myself am Tanking raids and Dpssing in M+

For raiding especially it is always a huge benefit to have someone that can seamlessly slip into another role if the need arises.