Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    The problem is, they could do good things without making a song and dance about this.
    could they? then people would be whining they did nothing...
    and as a public company, they couldnt really do much without anouncing it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post

Oh no people without empathy are bad?
    Um, yeah? That's sort of the definition of lacking empathy? Look man, I'm not going to argue your other points because I can feel where it's going. You have your opinion, I feel very strongly against them, we can go back and forth, link this, link that, and go nowhere. I can only attest my views on the matter through my own life experiences and my issues with racism and I'll firmly stay there. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I'm sorry you've dealt with that. I've experienced the same even though I live around the NYC area. Once you go further north or leave the state southbound, you'll deal with some real nasty characters. I don't think that racism is blown out to be more than what it seems. It effects lots of people differently and segregation was only ended less than 60 years ago, so those fractures will remain for some time. I hope you stay strong and that maybe these problems simmer down more as our generation continues to develop.
    Statement from Morgan Freeman about racism when he did his interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    Oh no people without empathy are bad?
    Is... this a serious question?
    Lacking empathy is a symptom of mental health issues. It's either related to psychopathy (which if you didn't know IS bad), or a symptom schizophrenia or other delusional disorders.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    They're proactively encouraging their employees to be conciously aware of their coworkers' skin colour, when in fact the opposite should be strived for if one intends to genuinely fight racism. The irony is astounding.
    Exactly, It just makes no sense, it's like...we want to reach a point where everyone is treated by their merits and not by the color of their skin, so let's teach white people that they need to treat black people better, because...well because they are black obviously, you know, oppression, slavery and all that...Oh! and don't forget that white people are racist even if they don't think so, let me tell you about racial bias.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm dreaming or if there are really so many irrational people out there.

We stand with those fighting against social and institutional structures that promote inequality among people of color.
    Like, for example, laws that allow corporations to pay fuck all corporation tax, money that could be used to help deprived communities?

oh wait

Wake me up when they actually give a fuck about equality instead of sucking xi jinping's limp dick.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yup. Only fragile white privileged people or just plain racists will take issues with these kinds of statements. I'm glad it's being discussed, about 200+ years too late, but change has to start somewhere. If that offends you fuck off.
    Trying to force the racism out of people.. man who knew it was that easy to cure racism!

Playing devils advocate but what blizzard is doing is a good thing. People won't forget their past transgressions on what the company has done and people might still linger on the fact that this statement came from a guy who started "think you want it but you actually don't" meme. These things no matter how much people yell "its pr" or "its all about money" can do to try repair their tarnished reputation.

Where were these statements and donations before Gorge Floyd death?

How can people not see that every single company that announced recently how they support the BLM don't do it in a good will?

Corporations and money rule over America. If these countless companies cared so much, if it was a true feeling, they would have pressured the government for a change long ago. They never did.

And now, because BLM is the hot topic, suddenly countless donations and statements how they care and always did.

Don't get me wrong - a change is needed and I fully support it. But things like this should not be applaued: corporations should be called out for their unwillingness to help earlier. Was the racial injustice not a thing before Floyd? Was he somehow a relative to the countless CEOs?

No. The corporations don't care. The CEOs don't care. They are using it as a PR improvement campaign because it's a hot topic currently.

I know it's very unpopular opinion. But ask yourself this: was Floyd a more important human being than countless other black people killed, since he sparked this "solidarity" and the previous people didn't? Will corporations like Blizzard stay by their "support" and will they keep on reminding us and donating after this all dies out?

Don't be blind, people. Just because someone is giving away money doesn't mean it's with a good intention. And this specific case highlights how large corporations will abuse such sensitive topic for their own (PR) gains.
    Last edited by TickTickTick; 2020-06-19 at 10:57 PM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    The white privelege in this thread is palpable

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Forced or not, it still sets a standard along with them having a big of a voice as they do.
    I'm not american so I don't have a bone to grind in this topic, but what good does this actually do?

Is there anybody out there, in the west, that isn't aware that racism = bad?

And if those people exist, why do you imagine that Blizzard has a voice in those circles?

Or perhaps, is this an admission by Blizzard that they have a bunch of racists working in their company and their company culture harbors and/or promoted racism until now?

Like, I just don't get the message here.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-06-19 at 10:57 PM.

Damn, I kind of.. don't care.

Back to creating games, brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipnos14 View Post
    Exactly, It just makes no sense, it's like...we want to reach a point where everyone is treated by their merits and not by the color of their skin, so let's teach white people that they need to treat black people better, because...well because they are black obviously, you know, oppression, slavery and all that...Oh! and don't forget that white people are racist even if they don't think so, let me tell you about racial bias.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm dreaming or if there are really so many irrational people out there.
    You are missing the point of why racial diversity laws were passed in the first place...
    It is far from the ideal system, but not having them implemented would be far worse. The reality is, xenophobia exists, and it is extremely hard to get rid of... people are stubborn as hell. In many cases, if an employer is presented with two equal candidates for a position, if one of the candidates is black or gay or female or GOD FORBID: transgender, they will pick the other candidate even if they have EQUAL EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCY.

You NEED movements like this, to force the stubborn people to check themselves. And if you think racism is NOT a problem, ask yourself - would you rather be black and be treated as such? Once the answer to that questions is "yes" or "I'd be fine with it", racial diversity laws will not be needed anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Statement from Morgan Freeman about racism when he did his interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s
    I've seen the video before. While I do agree that I don't need a special month to celebrate my culture and its history, I don't agree that racism will just end if everyone stops talking about it. Racism isn't just a conversation topic like the latest and great game or the latest blockbuster movie. It's a rotten fruit that's seeded deep within human history and through basically the majority of American history. And just like history, we educate ourselves on it so as not to repeat it.

I would love a utopia where we all got along and we all see ourselves as humans first before putting nation/skin first, but I don't think we'll achieve that by just sweeping issues and history under the rug without taking a closer look and remedying whatever systems are currently in place, perpetuating this hate.

Alas, I'm not smart enough to speak on what more can be done, all I have is hope.

blizzard sure loves to stand up for stuff that has nothing to do with china, what a fake company.

This is sooooo, so wrong.... Could they pay more attention to WTF they do with their own game?!

Can't they see it's in a state of RUIN atm?

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yup. Only fragile white privileged people or just plain racists will take issues with these kinds of statements. I'm glad it's being discussed, about 200+ years too late, but change has to start somewhere. If that offends you fuck off.
    Haha you can't be a real person?

" We are also reviewing our partnerships to identify opportunities to support Black-owned and diverse businesses, and to amplify the voices of Black content creators and influencers"

Sounds like racism to me.. going out of their way to work with people and organizations because they are black? Huge Yikes

10+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely no problems with them giving to charities, but does anyone really find these sorts of corporate endorsements to be genuine. It's pretty obvious that every company that has done this is just doing it in a back-handed approach to gain "brownie points" from twitter activists and an attempt to protect themselves from being called out as "racist" by the McCarthyist cancel culture that surrounds our recent "attempt" at fixing racial problems in the US. I have no doubt that some of these people do actually care about these causes but when a company comes out in support of something like this it comes off as extremely tone deaf. If you are doing something for the right reason then you don't need to announce to the world and say "Hey, look at this good thing I am doing" and please don't tell me that they're trying to "Spread Awareness", anyone with half a brain knows what's going on right now. Also, I love that people say that only racists would object to corporations pandering like this because apparently doing the right thing for the wrong reasons and why that is bad is something that has become completely lost on some people. If everyone can get away with saying "Look how much I care about this for a month" then nobody actually has to grow or change their perspective in a meaningful way because they have protected themselves from criticism and can simply say "Anyone who disagrees with me is a racist" and we end up back at the same place. Social Media has set us so far back on actually doing anything about racism in America because instead of trying to change peoples opinions we can just cancel them and thus remove them from existing in a way that they can be publicly seen so we don't have to argue our own position and refute theirs, not realizing that all this does is entrench them even deeper in their own opinions. I for the life of me can't understand why people seem to think that opinions are unchangeable, people keep saying that words have power but yet they continually refuse to use them in an attempt to have honest conversations with people they disagree with. Dogmatism is a defense mechanism and if you could say something that could break a person out of that state of mind is it not worth having that discussion? Like, are people afraid that racists will convert them or something because all you really need to refute racism is a little bit of common sense and a small amount of historical perspective or is just that people view racists as sub-human garbage that aren't worth their time because if you honestly think that then you might wanna go back and look at the root causes of racism and regain some of that perspective. But what does it matter, anyone who might benefit from taking a critical look at their own opinions and practices already dismissed this post as casual racism after the first sentence.