Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The blatency of this particular one was impressive, but I am not even sure it was the most blatent. Trump tweeted this one from his own account in 2016. According to Trump it was "A Sheriff Star".
    Almost like there's a pattern of using white supremacist imagery with a curious frequency.

Note: I don't think Trump knows what the fuck this is or its historical significance. He's a fucking dunce and historically illiterate. But you can bet the white supremacists like Stephen Miller that he's surrounded himself with do know its significance. If you surround yourself with those types of people, maybe you're one of those types of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Almost like there's a pattern of using white supremacist imagery with a curious frequency.

Note: I don't think Trump knows what the fuck this is or its historical significance. He's a fucking dunce and historically illiterate. But you can bet the white supremacists like Stephen Miller that he's surrounded himself with do know its significance. If you surround yourself with those types of people, maybe you're one of those types of people.
    Nobody uses a Nazi symbol like this, in the Nazi-appropriate context as they did, by accident.

Trump may have been told to use it by some Nazi in his administration, and he may have been stupid and ignorant enough to believe that Nazi without thinking about it, but there's still some Nazi somewhere in his administration (or his Twitter supporters, who may as well be advisors in his administration at this point) who told him to use that symbol, knowing what it meant, and supporting the views that birthed it.

It's not a fucking accident, and it shouldn't be treated as one. And we should take Tim Murtaugh's statement in response to this as a tacit admission that Murtaugh himself is a fucking Nazi. Because you'd have to be such to defend this kind of use, and to make up lies to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.axios.com/facebook-takes...ed55a81da.html

Sauce for anyone interested. It's re-using the upside down red triangle that the Nazi's used to identify political dissidents that supported Jews.
    Where does that claim originated from?

I'm seeing something like this for camp prisoners but there is no black outline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nobody uses a Nazi symbol like this, in the Nazi-appropriate context as they did, by accident.
    Symbol isn't that elaborate, and persecution of political opponents isn't exclusive to Nazi regimes.

Hell, apparently it was also used as symbol of family planning (now that is much more nazi-adjacent).

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Symbol isn't that elaborate, and persecution of political opponents isn't exclusive to Nazi regimes.

Hell, apparently it was also used as symbol of family planning (now that is much more nazi-adjacent).
    It's called context.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Now if only THIS FORUM would do something about such accounts.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    It's called context.
    There is no specific Nazi context as far as i see (other then being ad against anti-fa claiming they used this particular symbol).

There is no specific Nazi context as far as i see (other then being ad against anti-fa claiming they used this particular symbol).
    The context of family planning doesn't suddenly have Nazi connotations, but if you're using it to mean political enemies then guess what? People will start to connect the dots and go "oh hey, those other people did that same thing."

Again. Context.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Trump campaign is claiming an upsidedown red triangle is a "Common Antifa symbol". Has anyone ever seen a protestor wearing such a symbol? Ever? I went looking for images and couldn't find any (Although I am sure there will be dozens of poorly photoshopped ones by tomorrow).
    I have not seen it from protestors, but fascist triangles have been used by Jews and gay people, to symbolize that we are not afraid of nazis. I would not be surprised if some AntiFa was wearing triangles, because it’s a way to call people you are protesting, Nazis. Trump’s excuse in the context of triangles, is pretty much... “if you call me a Nazi, find I’ll be a Nazi.”... and that’s the most benign way it could be interpreted in context.

But, than again... this is the rational of faithful Christians, who burned crosses as a symbol of someone else being a deviant. I would think burning crosses would be a satanist thing... and I guess as far as the colloquial meaning of satanist, it sure as hell is.

- - - Updated - - -

AntiFa wears those symbols as a way to claim they are being attacked by nazis. Using that symbol to then identify AntiFa, makes AntiFa correct in their claim. The proper reaction is to claim AntiFa is over reacting, since US government isn’t using fascist symbols of identification. But, instead, AntiFa is proven right for showing they are not afraid, by wearing them.

Before this Trump Facebook, wearing those patches could and was argued as Godwin...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-06-20 at 02:37 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The context of family planning doesn't suddenly have Nazi connotations, but if you're using it to mean political enemies then guess what? People will start to connect the dots and go "oh hey, those other people did that same thing."
    What, marked themselves with Nazi symbols despite being anti-fa?

Can't say i've ever seen that.

There is nothing particularly nazi about going after groups that you see as violently opposing current order, nor saying "they are actually marking themselves with this, apparently"... they aren't going around giving them such symbols as far as i see.

Can you spell out context you see there?

but there is no black outline.
    *wink wink, nudge nudge*

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

There is nothing particularly nazi about going after groups that you see as violently opposing current order, nor saying "they are actually marking themselves with this, apparently"... they aren't going around giving them such symbols as far as i see.

Just look up what the red triangle means. It should be pretty obvious.

If you can't be bothered, in summary, the Nazis used triangles of different colors to mark the prisoners in their concentration camps. Black for Gypsies, Purple for Jehovah's Witnesses, Pink for Gay, Green for criminals. Red was for political opponents. So apparently some protestors were wearing Red Triangles to show that they were political opponents of the Nazis (I hadn't seen any examples, but apparently that is what happened). So it is a "Nazi symbol", but not a symbol a Nazi would ever wear. It is a symbol they forced their enemies to wear.
    Last edited by Thekri; 2020-06-20 at 05:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

The same way the gay rights movement co-opted the pink triangle, used to identify homosexuals in the camps in the exact same way.

It's a "fuck you" to the hatemongers who came up with the symbol/label.

In that context, Trump's administration using that symbol cannot be seen as such a position, since he has been hostile to his dissenters in every respect, so it's just the Trump administration accidentally saying the quiet part out loud, and admitting their fascist hatemongering leanings, and how much they idealize Hitler and what he stood for.

It isn't a fucking accident. It's a choice. It's one very small step away from his administration choosing to wear red swastika armbands to identify themselves.

In-context, the Antifa use of the symbol is them making an accusation; "you're treating us like the Nazis treated us!"
    The administration's use in response is a "You're right, we are, because the Nazis were right to do so."
    Last edited by Endus; 2020-06-20 at 06:03 PM.

The same way the gay rights movement co-opted the pink triangle, used to identify homosexuals in the camps in the exact same way.

It's a "fuck you" to the hatemongers who came up with the symbol/label.
    So, you're saying anti-fa actually are wearing this symbol, and so that ad was entirely true?

And because it was true, it was taken down because it potentially incited violence against them?

- - - Updated - - -

Just look up what the red triangle means. It should be pretty obvious.

If you can't be bothered, in summary, the Nazis used triangles of different colors to mark the prisoners in their concentration camps. Black for Gypsies, Purple for Jehovah's Witnesses, Pink for Gay, Green for criminals. Red was for political opponents. So apparently some protestors were wearing Red Triangles to show that they were political opponents of the Nazis (I hadn't seen any examples, but apparently that is what happened). So it is a "Nazi symbol", but not a symbol a Nazi would ever wear. It is a symbol they forced their enemies to wear.
    So, protesters are wearing symbols that identify them as opponents (as "f*** y**" to Nazis), yet everyone else cannot point out those symbols as identifying protesters because of Nazi connotations? Despite those connotations being entire point of using it?

American Cultural Revolution is so weird.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2020-06-20 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you're saying anti-fa actually are wearing this symbol, and so that ad was entirely true?
    No, to both accounts.

I haven't seen any Antifa members doing so, but if they were, it wasn't as a self-identification, but as an accusation.

And the ad was "true" in the sense that it's an admission that many in the Trump administration harbor Nazi sympathies and beliefs.

And because it was true, it was taken down because it potentially incited violence against them?
    Being used by the agents of the State?

It's an implicit death threat, yes. This is fucking obvious to anyone who isn't carrying water for Nazis for some godforsaken reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    So, protesters are wearing symbols that identify them as opponents (as "f*** y**" to Nazis), yet everyone else cannot point out those symbols as identifying protesters because of Nazi connotations? Despite those connotations being entire point of using it?

American Cultural Revolution is so weird.
    Pretty much, it shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp. They are (Allegedly) wearing a symbol that represents the Nazis exterminating their political opponents, from the perspective of themselves as the victims, not the perpetrators. The Trump campaign used it in the opposite context, that of the Nazis original purpose, which is to mark their enemies for extermination.

It is not a difficult concept if you are not being deliberately obtuse. It is why it is fine for Jews to hold memorials to the Holocaust, and not fine for Skinheads to hold memorials to the holocaust. Which side you identify with makes a BIG difference.

Twitter is a propaganda mouthpiece itself

No, to both accounts.

I haven't seen any Antifa members doing so, but if they were, it wasn't as a self-identification, but as an accusation.

And the ad was "true" in the sense that it's an admission that many in the Trump administration harbor Nazi sympathies and beliefs.
    ADL apparently said that symbol was indeed used by anti-fa, albeit rarely.

It makes perfect sense to use it in similar way pink triangle was re-appropriated as pride symbol - to show "i'm your political opponent and proud of it". If it was ever used as nazi-adjacent in the first place.

Ad itself has nothing to do with "Nazi sympathies" as far as i see, but Facebook did go not just with "symbols" but also with "promotion of hate toward groups", which i guess it can be tenuously linked to regardless of symbol status.

Other Trump ads already used differently-colored triangles too, there is no particular reason to believe it was nazi reference from imagery alone, nor does ad text hint at anything like that (unless you believe everything Trump's team posts is nazi dogwhistling).
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2020-06-21 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I'd hope they also start closing down similar US en EU networks.
    were the good guys, as much as we have our flaws, we dont have literal concentration camps like china/russia

- - - Updated - - -

ADL apparently said that symbol was indeed used by anti-fa, albeit rarely.

It makes perfect sense to use it in similar way pink triangle was re-appropriated as pride symbol - to show "i'm your political opponent and proud of it". If it was ever used as nazi-adjacent in the first place.

Ad itself has nothing to do with "Nazi sympathies" as far as i see, but Facebook did go not just with "symbols" but also with "promotion of hate toward groups", which i guess it can be tenuously linked to regardless of symbol status.

Other Trump ads already used differently-colored triangles too, there is no particular reason to believe it was nazi reference from imagery alone, nor does ad text hint at anything like that (unless you believe everything Trump's team posts is nazi dogwhistling).
    im glad that in 2020 whether or not a campaign intended to use a symbol used in nazi death camps is a debate were having.
    but then again building death camps for muslims in xianjian is "the right thing to do" to one political party. atleast those farmers in iowa got their soybeans sold.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    im glad that in 2020 whether or not a campaign intended to use a symbol used in nazi death camps is a debate were having.
    Modern US media uses everything it can to deflect from actual issues plaguing modern US (of which "nazis" are laughably small part).

but then again building death camps for muslims in xianjian is "the right thing to do" to one political party. atleast those farmers in iowa got their soybeans sold.
    People get more perceptive to plight of others once their own livelihood is secure, and can become insensitive quickly otherwise.