10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    (who is probably on the same page as Berman)
    If this is correct, then this incompetent administration just executed this move in the worst way possible. Not only is Berman not fired -- @Xyonai says it'll be till Trump gets back from the rally, shown here:

No really, that's Tulsa. Like, an hour ago.

Anyhow, until Trump says "I fired Berman" Berman is in charge, and after, Strauss is in charge. If Strauss likes his boss, and is watching this Trump Shitshow of obstruction of justice play out, he's got to know he's got precious little time before he's next. But he also has a deskful of investigations against Trump and his friends, and in all likelihood, a close relationship with NYState prosecutors.

Oh, and I'd put real money on Berman testifying before the House. I don't see how anyone could stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    They're not getting the stooge they preferred, I agree. I hope you're right that she's on the same page as Berman.
    What I find crazier is that hey just said this firing attempt should be investigated, then Barr does this, and Trump doesn’t even back him up... like it screams incompetence and something fishy is going on

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hoo boy. @Benggaul should probably see this.

This CBS News article about Florida's spike has this extra info:

It also says that the entire MLB has fled the state.

Florida is between Pakistan and Indonesia for number of reported deaths.
    Yep, I went to go lay on my back for a while for some pain/pressure relief and this was one of the articles I saw almost immediately when I got back behind the computer. I have to hope Florida's learned from the experience of states like New York in this matter in isolating the most vulnerable so we can avoid this becoming another "mass grave in the middle of a city" situation, but this is Florida, so...

I was trying to look up some data on hospitalizations there but a lot of the time my access to State/local sites is limited due to my currently connecting from overseas. Maybe one of our local Floridians can get a better idea of what capacity is like. Arizona sounds bad--and Florida's numbers look worse.

Ms. Strauss also served on the staff for the Independent Counsel for the Iran Contra matter.
    I think she's one of the good guys.

Can he sue? Assuming he truly did found out about his firing from the press release, then he should be able to prove that he did not, in fact, resign, thus Justice Department have publicly lied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    What I find crazier is that hey just said this firing attempt should be investigated, then Barr does this, and Trump doesn’t even back him up... like it screams incompetence and something fishy is going on
    Yes and yes.

And the funny part, or as @Vegas82 would say "that's not what irony means Breccia, use a fucking dictionary or at least watch Futurama", this might all end up with Berman holding his job. He's not leaving unless he's fired, and he's a lawyer so he'll demand proof. And as @Belize pointed out, we don't have Trump's signature, and "I promise he told me on the phone" is up there with "she looked 18 I swear" and "I'll release my taxes, but I'm still under audit from 2001".

I think there's a reason we aren't seeing any GOP lawmakers back this play, but have seen a half-dozen Democrats up in arms and taking action. There's a reason why everyone's front page is this story, while FOX News is showing Seattle while pushing Barr's claim to page three. It's because this move is clumsy, stupid, awkward, and 23 hours and change away from being illegal. I'm fairly sure Barr can be arrested for saying "Trump says you're fired" when Trump didn't say that...which is what Trump is going for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Can he sue?
    I think there's some kind of challenge, he could also sue.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your intent. Barr lied to the American people. Trump has proven that's not a crime.

Yeah, they better brace themselves for a strongly worded letter from Jerry Nadler. I don't mean to be cynical at you, or in your general direction, but realistically they will pretty much continue to get away with whatever they want, including being brazenly, openly corrupt and obstructing justice, while Barr just keeps on smirking that smug slimy smirk of an asshole who enjoys getting away with it right in your face and there's no recourse because he's in charge of the recourse, unless and until Trump is removed from office.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

I just love the Bolton ruling.

Not only do we get all of the details of what Trump and his corrupt cronies have been up to, but we also get a result where Bolton may very well end up making no money AND potentially end up with jailtime.

The best bit is there's no realistic way to nail Bolton without admitting what's in his book is true, because you can't prosecute him for breaking his NDA/revealing classified info if what he's saying is made up. Any attempt to punish him is essentially an admission of guilt, and we KNOW Trump won't be able to resist trying to punish him.

Yeah, they better brace themselves for a strongly worded letter from Jerry Nadler. I don't mean to be cynical at you, or in your general direction, but realistically they will pretty much continue to get away with whatever they want, including being brazenly, openly corrupt and obstructing justice, while Barr just keeps on smirking that smug slimy smirk of an asshole who enjoys getting away with it right in your face and there's no recourse because he's in charge of the recourse, unless and until Trump is removed from office.
    Aren’t the IG’s separate? Who acts on what they find if Barr is found guilty of something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohohoho, it gets worse.

There is evidence Trump fired Berman to protect Erdogan, of all people.

John Bolton, Trump’s former national security adviser, also alleges in a new book the president once promised Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan he would oust prosecutors in Berman’s office who were investigating a Turkish bank, Halkbank, for evading U.S. sanctions against Iran.

“The president said to Erdogan at one point, ‘Look, those prosecutors in New York are Obama people. Wait till I get my people in and then we’ll take care of this.’” Bolton told “ABC News” in a pre-taped interview set to air on Sunday.

Berman’s office ultimately secured an indictment against the bank, and the case is ongoing.
    Reuters goes on to say Clayton's not answering the phone. Maybe he's inspecting his bunker?

- - - Updated - - -

Aren’t the IG’s separate? Who acts on what they find if Barr is found guilty of something?
    As I understand it, IGs are basically Internal Affairs. They report to their department head, unless the department head is the problem. Then they go to Congress. We've seen that, recently.

Quick update: I posted yesterday that Georgia was pinging just over 1k new COVID-19 cases for I think the first time...right now they're reporting 1.8k. It may have been slow in getting there, but it has definitely permeated most of the South now. Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Arizona, Tennessee, Oklahoma, North and South Carolina--pretty much all of them are seeing numbers increase steadily if not exponentially.

Right? If the house does not bring Barr up on impeachment charges over this then what is off limits? I say this knowing he already deserved to be brought up on obstruction charges. I am writing my reps and senators here in Ohio but not holding my breath...this is all just so stupid though. Its like if the three stooges just kept the same job for every episode, "the factory burned down because of these assholes, why are they still on payroll?"

Ohohoho, it gets worse.

There is evidence Trump fired Berman to protect Erdogan, of all people.

Reuters goes on to say Clayton's not answering the phone. Maybe he's inspecting his bunker?

- - - Updated - - -

As I understand it, IGs are basically Internal Affairs. They report to their department head, unless the department head is the problem. Then they go to Congress. We've seen that, recently.
    Looks like even if he succeeds in firing him, his replacement seems to be someone who will continue on his path of investigation.

But in his letter on Saturday the attorney general said he would instead designate Strauss, Berman’s hand-picked No. 2 in the office, to take over in an acting capacity.

Looks like even if he succeeds in firing him, his replacement seems to be someone who will continue on his path of investigation.
    And probably with renewed enthusiasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    pretty much all of them are seeing numbers increase steadily if not exponentially.
    I despise seeing the word "exponentially" being used incorrectly. This is not one of those times. An exponential rise means the number of new cases climbs by more and more each day. This is exactly what is happening -- just like when the outbreak started.

Exponential rates find themselves in a lot of contexts -- some of them are terrifying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really at a loss as to why they think this is a good idea. Are they really this desperate? Is what Giuliani is hiding considered that damaging to the Trump administration after everything Trump has done?

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    I'm really at a loss as to why they think this is a good idea. Are they really this desperate? Is what Giuliani is hiding considered that damaging to the Trump administration after everything Trump has done?
    Maybe Barr is implicated?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Are they really this desperate?
    I mean, there's only a few months left to hand cases against Trump and his friends to Trump's lackeys, who will dismiss the case. But I'm not getting "desperation" from this. I think they legit thought this would actually work.

This is Team Trump we're talking about, logic isn't exactly the best evidence. But this feels like something they thought they could sweep under the rally while Trump had an effective alibi.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Barr is implicated?
    If Barr fired someone investigating him, he's in real trouble. Already, the GOP have signaled they're not behind this move. If Barr is the scapegoat, they won't line up to protect him.

Trump makes such a convoluted mess of our system that you will have many argue that he stills has the right to fire this US attorney even tho appointed by judges. There is no precedence as @Breccia and I discussed earlier cause this motherbleeper's method of operation was to give people temp jobs and no nomination process. This itself is a shitshow, and for the millionth time Trumpkins a precedent that please don't cry about when a Dem does this.

So yeah this can go to court just on the basis of "who has the right to fire this US Attorney".

Oh I do love that Barr in a sneaky way threw Trump under the boss by saying the directive to fire him came directly from Trump.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I despise seeing the word "exponentially" being used incorrectly. This is not one of those times. An exponential rise means the number of new cases climbs by more and more each day. This is exactly what is happening -- just like when the outbreak started.

Exponential rates find themselves in a lot of contexts -- some of them are terrifying.
    When I got my college degree I went ahead and got a math minor along with my major because it required most of the same courses anyway. I wouldn't dare try to use "exponential" incorrectly. Especially since matters are scary enough as it is without artificially inflating the horror.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Oh I do love that Barr in a sneaky way threw Trump under the boss by saying the directive to fire him came directly from Trump.
    Except Trump did a substitution jutsu at the last moment and said he had nothing to do with it, meaning Barr is now the one facing down giant rubber wheels.