Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Considering BG3 takes place 100 years after BG2, no, it's not a sequel, it's a stand alone game in the same universe.
    "A sequel is a work of literature, film, theatre, television, music or video game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work. In the common context of a narrative work of fiction, a sequel portrays events set in the same fictional universe as an earlier work, usually chronologically following the events of that work."
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    "A sequel is a work of literature, film, theatre, television, music or video game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work. In the common context of a narrative work of fiction, a sequel portrays events set in the same fictional universe as an earlier work, usually chronologically following the events of that work."
    Yeah...unless it involves stories and characters from the prequels, I don't consider a sequel to be really a sequel.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah...unless it involves stories and characters from the prequels, I don't consider a sequel to be really a sequel.
    I mean, sure. You can keep arguing against the definition, but that gives you zero credit. Quite the opposite, actually. And old characters/story aftermath making a comeback were confirmed MANY times here. But hey, details!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Link? /10char
    Here you go:

Oh wow, when the dev himself gets rekt in combat, imagine players.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad DA:I controls like drunken fuck on heroin while having a babylike rant-rage whenever you ask toddler to do anything.
    I do not find them that bad. They of course, work better if you are range dps. The tactical view and use during combat is a lot better in DAO.

I do love the combat how it is going to be turn base in BG3.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I'm partial to turn-based but I also want them to improve on their synergy system beyond "oil make fire go brrr". Turn-based is pointless if you dont ever need that extra depth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I'm partial to turn-based but I also want them to improve on their synergy system beyond "oil make fire go brrr". Turn-based is pointless if you dont ever need that extra depth.
    I think all those shared actions like Push, Throw, Knock Out will give it all the necessary depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    All games where the player micromanages a team of characters, should be turn-based. Active pause is just turn-based with the illusion of real time.

All games where the player micromanages a team of characters, should be turn-based. Active pause is just turn-based with the illusion of real time.
    Not really.
    Combat is vastly different between the two.
    You don't plan movement in active pause games the same way you do in turn based games for example.
    You can also control enemy movement differently and you can do AoEs whenever you want at the best possible time without taking turn-rotation into account.
    When your character reaches a certain powerlevel, running through "trash fights" is less annoying in real time combat too.
    etc. etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Not really.
    You don't plan movement in active pause games the same way you do in turn based games for example.
    You can also control enemy movement differently and you can do AoEs whenever you want at the best possible time without taking turn-rotation into account.
    When your character reaches a certain powerlevel, running through "trash fights" is less annoying in real time combat too.
    etc. etc.
    Also often there is an enhanced AI system, where you can automate many aspects of the fight. Still I prefer turn-based.

No question about it, it's a preference thing. But it surely doesn't play the same.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really.
    etc. etc.
    Sure is. That is why when you are going to try to control a team in combat and positioning is also important, turn base is superior. The AI can make some dumb decisions when it comes to positioning the range char's in the right spot. That is one of the big issues I have with DAI's pause combat.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

So, I understand there will be complaining for the game, but I think that the baldurs gate fans are not seeing how lucky they are.

My perception is, that Larian studios has one of the greatest writing teams of all time, they are coming off one of the greatest RPG‘s of all time, and they appear to be huge fans of baldurs gate.

Do you understand that it could have been some other studio making your game? Larian studios would’ve been all right. Their games are awesome, and their future is bright with or without baldurs gate. Do you realize that 90% of the studios out there suck? Who would you rather have developing your game? I mean really, who do you think could’ve done a better job? Not many, so maybe you are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Sorry about the spelling, this was written from my phone.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-06-21 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Do you realize that 90% of the studios out there suck? Who would you rather have developing your game? I mean really, who do you think could’ve done a better job? Not many, so maybe you are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    Can think of 4-5 studio's that would do something far more interesting with the IP than divinity 3
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Can think of 4-5 studio's that would do something far more interesting with the IP than divinity 3
    Since you didn't name them - my bet is: they'd do a lot worse or are under the yoke of certain publishers.

Why wouldn't you name them (or at least a few) instead of using a random generated number.

I also think it's wrong to somehow blame Larian Studio for a game that looks somewhat close to Divinity Original Sin, when that game itself was basically supposed to be the new Baldur's Gate in the first place.
    They basically said "look at what we think Baldur's Gate should look/be like" - And that's how they got the license, why would they do something completely different then.

It's how they build cars, and they basically got told to build a similar car and not change production to bycicles.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-06-22 at 05:46 AM.

I can think of MAYBE one other quality game dev I consider on par with larian: CDPR. The rest of them have all fucked up too hard to be considered on this level any more. Also, the other companies who put out similar products (pathfinder kingmaker, pillars of eternity, etc) all suck IMO.

Game looks amazing. "Interesting" for me comes from the story. At this point, any time someone has tried to make an "interesting" new gameplay system, it's sucked in some major way. Ergo, best ISO turn-based RPG I've ever played + favorite table top RPG setting = probably damn likely a good game.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, I don't know what's all the whining about, but one thing is certain - if anyone can pull out a quality RPG these days, that's for sure is Larian.

I am especially glad they went Divinity: Original Sin 3 in a skin of D&D for it. Turn-based they did was amazing and as a whole I prefer than massively to mashing space every couple of seconds.

Since you didn't name them - my bet is: they'd do a lot worse or are under the yoke of certain publishers.
    Well theres the obvious one who could have made it one of the best action RPG games around - From Software.

Then ones that could make an epic open world game with a tight narrative focus- Rockstar, Naughty Dog

Or a studio like Insomniac could have put their own spin on it.

SCE Santa Monica Studio....CDPR
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well theres the obvious one who could have made it one of the best action RPG games around - From Software.

Then ones that could make an epic open world game with a tight narrative focus- Rockstar, Naughty Dog

Or a studio like Insomniac could have put their own spin on it.

SCE Santa Monica Studio....CDPR
    Why the fuck would you make BG:3 an action RPG? Thank god you're just a random armchair developer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    OK, I don't know what's all the whining about, but one thing is certain - if anyone can pull out a quality RPG these days, that's for sure is Larian.

I am especially glad they went Divinity: Original Sin 3 in a skin of D&D for it. Turn-based they did was amazing and as a whole I prefer than massively to mashing space every couple of seconds.
    I agree. There's really no point in having a real-time combat system if you're going to pause it before every action anyway.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.