Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Doubt it. Will lvl, explore all the zones, do all quests/dungeons & raids. Beyond that, doubt im going to stick around all the time.

Bfa was such a dramatic fall from legions quality that I dunno I want to think they’ll get it right but this current wow team has never shown anything but failure in their wake

seems like its gonna be 4th shit expansion in a row, but realistically its gonna actually be a step forward anyway, just not enough to bring it to at least MoP level.. not even close really, but a step forward nonetheless

I haven't cared about the actual story of the game in a very, very long time, but as far as gameplay goes, Shadowlands is looking to be a MASSIVE upgrade over the past few expansions in MOST areas (not perfect, but a damned big improvement!), so I am looking forward to this expansion much more than the past few.

Im gonna try it but if its still e-sporty and about timers and modes and just not fun, then I'll probably skip it.

You cannot FIX the shitty writing of BFA with a new expasion. It's beyond repair.

Not really. I just find it hard to really care about the story at all at this point.

I'm not invested in all of this death realm stuff. it's kind of neat from a cosmic worldbuilding sort of way but I'm not really invested in going there. BFA made me really apathetic about Sylvanas, going there to chase her just doesn't interest me. Whether she's being set up to be an antagonist we fight or blizzard is planning to Kerrigan her I just really don't care anymore. I'm past wanting her dead etc, I just don't care anymore.

Dealing with afterlife problems just doesn't interest me. I guess maybe this is how some people felt about MOP when they didn't really care about the Pandaria stuff.

And with me being burnt out on the mmorpg loot treadmill system in general if the story doesn't pull me back in, I'm not going to play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    You cannot FIX the shitty writing of BFA with a new expasion. It's beyond repair.
    I hope they don't try to retroactively fix anything. Just do better going forward and don't try to retcon things to make bfa itself less bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    To me, just from the first cursory glance, the up'n'down expansions trend is continuing. It's a "theory" I agree with, even though some people dont.

Classic: Great! (Cause it was new and exciting)
    TBC: Poo! (... storywise, anyway. Kael is evil now, by the way, for reasons.)
    WOTLK: Great!
    Cataclysm: Poo!
    MoP: Great!
    WoD: Poo!
    Legion: Great!
    BfA: Poo!
    Shadowlands: Looks like it'll be Great!
    That isn't true at all. It was more like..

Classic: Great!
    TBC: Mixed. I personally hated it but it has some good and some bad stuff while it was current.
    WOTLK: Mixed. It got lots of criticism about how easy and casual the dungeons were as well as some other things.
    Cataclysm: Hated while it was current content. Less hated later.
    MoP: Most hated and controversial expansion. Caused a huge amount of players to quit.
    WoD: Good expansion but lacked content. The main reason it is/was disliked was that there was nothing to do and it had these huge breaks of nothing between patches.
    BfA: It started somewhat promising but failed at most things it tried to do, then doubled down on bad design and ideas.

As for Shadowlands, I guess well see. It's still Ion at the helm though which isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Doubt it. Will lvl, explore all the zones, do all quests/dungeons & raids. Beyond that, doubt im going to stick around all the time.
    "I will consume all the content then stop playing"

Any developer would consider this a tremendous success by any standard.

Personally I have never cared about the narrative whatsoever, I play for m+ and raiding. The latter is always good, but I am considered about what they may or may not do with affixes and dungeon design. A bad m+ experience will ruin the expansion right away.

The writing was never really good, read a good book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotural View Post
    For me Shadowlands is the redeeming expansion after Legion.

It is Legion that redesigned every classes and pruned every abilities we had. It's also Legion that introduced AP farming and infinite grinds. BfA was just Legion 2.0 from many PoVs. And I only care about class design, game systems. I actually enjoyed BfA more than Legion because everything I loved in WoW was destroyed already by Legion, so I wasn't disappointed lol.

So yes, for me Shadowlands look very promising. More spells to allow more skillful plays, no more rng proc on gear, crafting and choosing our own legendaries, no more AP to grind and the posibility to buy PvP gear from a vendor.

I'm all-in!
    It seems to me that the devs make a "good" expansion every other one. After the holy trinity (Vanilla, BC, Wrath), the good ones were MoP, Legion and hopefully Shadowlands. The baddies were Cata, Warlords, and BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    To me, just from the first cursory glance, the up'n'down expansions trend is continuing. It's a "theory" I agree with, even though some people dont.

Classic: Great! (Cause it was new and exciting)
    TBC: Poo! (... storywise, anyway. Kael is evil now, by the way, for reasons.)
    WOTLK: Great!
    Cataclysm: Poo!
    MoP: Great!
    WoD: Poo!
    This is my theory, and I believe it to be true:

Classic: Boring
    TBC: Great!
    WOTLK: Ok!
    Cataclysm: No
    MoP: Boring
    WoD: Bad

I think the devs will agree with this one.

Meh... I havent seen anything about SL that is actually interesting. I'm not even looking forward to it like I did with BFA (I liked what i heard before release so I thought it would be good).

There is nothing to be interested about. Thats not good..... but then again, there is nothing to be angry about. There is none of that either. Right now, in my mind, SL is a generic entirely and completely averaged expansion from what I can see. There is nothing bad about it, but nothing good either.

I can only tell sometime after its release. I'm also entirely casual by now so I'm mostly interested about how it can keep my interest in long term without raiding or m+ or basically none of the end game content. BFA at least gave pointless grinds that I could log into daily and have my wow fix.

Looks promising but have to play it first but overall i feel it's like the same formula it has been for years which is a bit dull at this point. Wouldn't surprise me people just patch hopping and seeing whats new then quit again for a while etc

7+ Year Old Account
    no classes are still shite

Need to play it first. But... it's looking very promising, and I think it might go far in redeeming the odd lack of direction and content that was BFA. Personally I didn't hate BFA. It just... was not really what anybody asked for or had in mind even when they wanted Kul Tiras and Zandalari. Nazjatar was well done, but the Black Empire? WTF? I really hope that bit is some sort of cosmic joke that swings back around in a future expansion.

Vanilla PvP player here ( yes we're still alive , in some way ).

BfA was a "Wod quality" expansion, poor/unfinish designed / weird lore / devastating for a PvP player like me, but i still enjoyed it. Even if i had to PvE in order to compete.

8.2 came , with the orrible/game carryng Essence system. Still i enjoyed the game.

But the 8.3 made me freeze , the farm + RNG were unbeareable for me.

Hopefully Shadowlands will give me a good comeback, PvP vendors are a very good starting point.

Still i am very worried about Covenant skills, i hoped in just a "Lore aesthetic" thing , right now those skills seems game changing just like the damn Essence.

i NEEDto be able to enjoy the game again so much!

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno. Looks mediocre at best.

Lets be honest here, the story is shit. As a horde player, they ruined sylvannas for no reason beyond to make her the bad guy for bfa and sl. Jailer seems underwhelming. 4 zones? K even less zones than legion (starting out) ... great...

"Unpruning" not really. Lets be blunt here, they didnt do Jack for most of the classes. The 3 classes i play are so underwhelming that i just want to say they didnt know what to do. (Talkin to dks, dhs, and locks). Like seriously, its irritating at what little they did, to the point that i wish they didnt say they were unpruning. Like who gives a damn about curses? They have uses in pvp, but in pve they wont do jack! I want my damn doomguard and infernal back ! I dont give a damn about immolation aura gifted to dps when it doesnt do it damn fury gen! Runetap? Seriously?

Art looks good, but thats been the best thing about all the expansions (along with music.)

But covenants look like pure and utter garbage. Min max x one for either pve or pvp when they should have been the same ability just reskinned differently. Should have been aesthetic and lore choice... not which ability is op.

Sooo mediocre. At best. Doesnt look like a legion, mop, or wotlk... sad to say.

Doesnt even bring anything new.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Who the fuck wasn't satisfied with Legion?
    Legion had some nice things: class quests, artifacts, the biggest, or second biggest, big bad of Warcraft. But it also had some very detrimental effects: the overall enjoyable specs from WoD, which had already gone through a major prune after MoP, went through yet another prune in order to accomodate those artifacts. Playing with a low level artifact in 7.0 or 7.1 was one of my most miserable experiences in WoW. Which btw it effectively locked you out of respeccing, and lets don't talk about rolling an alt. Only by 7.2 (an otherwise quite mediocre patch tbh) was this issue addressed.

RNGforging went completely wild, causing a lot of issues later down the road. Legion also introduced the abomination known as AP, which (unlike RNGforging) sadly is here to stay - this covenant thing in SL looks like a diet version of Legion class halls mixed with Artifact Anima Power. And AP was merely a pretext to introduce all of this borrowed powers crap, which is also here to stay... and greatly diminishes my interest in the game.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2020-06-22 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

That is actually the biggest issue. The whole plot is so broken and the story so destroyed that I don't see how they are able to fix it, even if they would employ top notch writers again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    The writing was never really good, read a good book.
    That is no argument tho.
    If you have a 1-100 scale and WoW usually was around the 50 mark, BfA is somewhere around the 10 mark for the main story line.
    That is just an immense drop in quality, on pair with The Last Jedi or Game of Thrones Season 8.