Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I would overlook a whole lot before reaching the point I can't enjoy someone's work anymore. Thinking about it I can see two major criteria for dumping someone: If it's personal or if it impacts their work. Nothing's been personal so far, since none of the creators I follow know me nor do I have characteristics I'm sensitive about.

Someone mentioned Cryaotic. I know of him, but haven't really followed his content, just remember enjoying a series about Resident Evil 6 he did with Jesse Cox years ago. Because that's the level of shits I give I don't really care what he's done, might as well watch some of his videos if Youtube suggests them to me. But if, say, Markiplier or Game Grumps did something I'd be concerned, since I like their content quite a lot and feel I have a pretty good grasp on what they're like as people; their personas, beyond the bits they do, is part of the package and therefore essential to remain untarnished. Allegations of their misdeeds would first have to be proven beyond doubt before I'd write them off, of course. If they're not then it's like nothing happened, e.g. I enjoy ProJared's content the same as before.

Then there's the likes of Kevin Spacey. A damn fine actor, totally made House of Cards. Looks to be the kind of person I wouldn't care to hang out with, but I'd love to see more movies and shows from him. As an actor who portrays people separate from himself it doesn't matter as much what he's like. Youtubers do bits, but they are essentially portraying a version of themselves, which is why it matters what they're actually like.

There are creators I might have issues with, but not quite enough to dump them. One example is the guy behind Least I Could Do webcomic. At some point the comic became political in a very preachy way, which is annoying af, but since I still check it out weekly I can't say it's lost what I like about it. The core is still there, it's just that the creator's political views are pushed at people in quite a hostile manner. In this case they differ from mine to a degree, but I can't imagine I'd like the main character's preaching any more if it toed my line; it's still preaching rather than what makes the comic entertaining. Game Grumps sometimes discuss issues while they play a game, but they mostly have the good sense to be neutral or at least non-judgmental, suggesting they understand things can be nuanced. Their platform is also a better fit for such things than a cartoony webcomic.

So yeah, my beef with creator misdeeds is really about how much it affects their work. Played through Shadow Complex some years ago, fully aware of its creator's homophobic statements. Don't care, the game didn't feel impacted by it at all.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's important to remember that when a person commits a crime or misdeed and receives appropriate punishment for that - that person's debt is paid off. That is important part of allowing a said person to get back on track.

That's why, even if a person is a piece of shit, that person's work still belongs to them. It's the point of separating things, it's still possible for a person on a wrong path to create something good and it's fine to praise and enjoy that good while keeping in mind bad.

Someone raised Michael Jackson here as example and IMO it's a good example, all in all his art was great and praiseworthy and it's fine to recognize him for that even if as a person he failed in the end.

Nobody here is a saint, we're all flawed one way or another. There is no need to go full inquisition on every work of art, just because the guy/gal was not up to snuff.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-06-22 at 11:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokk View Post
    Same man. Huge metal head here, black metal in particular. I can't and will never stop listening to Burzum, to me that music is critical to the foundation of the Norwegian scene in the early 90's. Outside of the music, well let's just say I probably wouldn't hang out with Varg. I'll never turn my back on the art he created though, I can separate it and will continue to support it.
    exactly. putting on Dunkelheit is very soothing and it doesn't transcend the rather fucked up person behind that.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

I still remember times, when religious, right wing nuts would burn Harry Potter books, because hurr durr magic, and hurr durr satan. As ridiculous as book burning is, and as misguided as their reasons were, their reasons at least had some (very) "tangible" connection to the books they were burning.

On the other hand, nowadays the left wing nuts are burning HP books, despite the fact that they used to like them, but now, because of new beliefs that JKR shared, they decided to dismiss her whole work, even though her work is in no ways connected with her personal beliefs and opinions.

It's...interesting, to say the least. As insane as both sides are, one side is attacking the actual product/work of someone for the contents of said work, the other side is attacking the work of someone not for the contents, but for the personal views of the author, even if those views are completely unrelated to the actual work.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    i don't really care too much if an author or mind behind some media I like turns out to be an asshole or just slightly politically wayward. But a decent amount of people that made things I like turned out as sexual predators, which pretty much leads me to disowning their work from memory altogether.

certain people claim you can enjoy the works of fallen idols regardless. I'm wondering what YOUR own limits are to this and why you would think like this to begin with. Like if an author pens a narrative with certain themes and morals but thinks the other way in reality, what he made is just a bag of lies. Or alternatively, if they turn out evil and write such a tale, it's still hard to stomach because a work of art is representative of its creator's spirit.
    I believe it's 50 years after they die they no longer have rights. Disney has found a way to scapegoat this, though.

I mean as a general rule anybody stupid enough to openly take part in book burnings considering their global historical context is just openly showing the world they shouldn't be taken seriously and/or left unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I mean as a general rule anybody stupid enough to openly take part in book burnings considering their global historical context is just openly showing the world they shouldn't be taken seriously and/or left unattended.
    To be fair, book burnings historically were a way to destroy knowledge. You can't do that anymore with a book burning. It's purely symbolic.

Haven't listened to MJ music since the documentary where he is clearly guilty. When you have that many secret fuck rooms in your mansion and sensors going to your bedroom so he would know when people were on their way and you are sleeping with children there is something extremely fucked up going on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    exactly. putting on Dunkelheit is very soothing and it doesn't transcend the rather fucked up person behind that.

It's ASMR metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    To be fair, book burnings historically were a way to destroy knowledge. You can't do that anymore with a book burning. It's purely symbolic.
    It's a valid argument. My retort is if you want to show the world your good boy points there are better ways then pulling a play out of the tyrant guide book.

7+ Year Old Account
    One of the greatest writers in my country, and his work is read in our schools still, was a a supporter of Nazi Germany.
    I would not boycott a piece of art that I enjoyed, because of the artist political stand, unless that work was somehow tainted by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I feel like a line occurs when the person is question is a legit predator.

Should you disown a creator from their work when they've sexually assaulted underage people? Yes.

Should you disown a creator for having naughty opinions? Probably not.
    No to both cases. Somebody being a confirmed sexual predator has zero effect on my enjoyment of the artistic work of said person. In the case of Kevin Spacey, it was also retarded that he was dropped from all of his projects because of allegations. Wtf happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I am fundamentally against the idea of "cancel culture".

One of my favourite bands was made by an "actual" satanist who went to prison for stabbing and killing some gay dude in a park in Sweden in the mid 90s. When he got out, he made one more album, then committed ritual suicide because he had achieved everything he wanted to do on Earth. Which included making music and killing gays, apparently.

Guy was a complete nutcase, still love his music.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2020-06-22 at 05:23 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

i don't really care too much if an author or mind behind some media I like turns out to be an asshole or just slightly politically wayward. But a decent amount of people that made things I like turned out as sexual predators, which pretty much leads me to disowning their work from memory altogether.

certain people claim you can enjoy the works of fallen idols regardless. I'm wondering what YOUR own limits are to this and why you would think like this to begin with. Like if an author pens a narrative with certain themes and morals but thinks the other way in reality, what he made is just a bag of lies. Or alternatively, if they turn out evil and write such a tale, it's still hard to stomach because a work of art is representative of its creator's spirit.
    Just call the person racist. Seems to work better today than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things you need to consider the context of, and other things you need to consider your personal morality.

Just enjoy the media and don't think much on it...

For me, it's Benjamin Britten. Would I stop listening to Peter Grimes in the knowledge that the composer had a thing for young boys? Probably not. I await a burner to tell me I'm culturally irrelevant.

This argument has been around for centuries e.g., Wagner and his antisemitism. It's hardly new.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just do and that's that. I also pick and choose my battles. For example, I personally never have or ever will read anything by Lovecraft; but his brand of horror isn't necessarily ruined for me and I don't hate the people who enjoy it. It's possible to salvage something good from deplorable people or concepts. It's a simple matter of drawing your lines in the sand and people do them for different reasons.

I'm just glad that laws exist to override however fandom feels about their faves/most hated. I just wished it worked better.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    For example, I personally never have or ever will read anything by Lovecraft
    What'd he do?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    What'd he do?
    He's made offensive work and comments against different ethnic groups, who he viewed as being less civilized or bestial. This includes comments against European immigrants and the Jewish, which did bleed into his actual work from time to time. Those are the specific stories/poems people tend to avoid because of their content or never bring up. I don't feel comfortable consuming his literature when I can never know how much of his mythos is inspired from a place of hate.

Think of it as ordering food as a restaurant and you know they spit in certain dishes, but you'll never be sure if don't spit in the others too. I'd rather just not eat there.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

You always separate the art from the artist, period.
    Everyone has some stain or mistake or bad things they did in their lifes, doesn't mean whatever they produced isn't exactly just as good as they were, be it a poem, book, work of art, painting, song, videogame or else.