Poll: Should multiboxing be allowed?

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_(computer_science)
    See Definition of Macro.

A MultiBox software would be in a sense a Relay, as they only relay the Keypresses to the WoW Instances.
    You press: "w" all WoW Instances register "w", and move Forward.

A Makro would be: you press "F6" and all Instances would register for example 3 seconds "W", then 2 seconds "S", or a Series of different Skill presses.

Whenever a GM talks to you you get a special GM Chat, thats not regular whispers.
    Also, I didnt say: "I know they dont do that", rather that I doubt it. That means, I dont believe you unless you provide any sources stating the Difference. Because, whispering someone is not a very good Indicator if they do something illegal.

People could turn of their Chat, Ignore it etc, there is afaik no obligation to answer a GM in the ToS (again, if i´m wrong, provide me a source). And banning people because they dont answer a whisper would open a large can of worms.

No, they dont.
    Answer: Blizzard doesnt see multi boxing as Violation, and Automation.
    The MultiBoxing tools send each Command on all Instances of WoW, its allowed in that Scope and nothing more. You are not allowed to automate/Makro more than you can do with ingame Makros.

I dont know why that is so hard to understand, or what questions would be unanswered.

EDIT: To Clarify the GrayArea:
    AutoHotkey in DiabloIII, I had a spec where you would press a skill every 3 seconds, after Research and a good amount of Googling, the only real Blue answer to that topic I could find was:
    "Well, Technically its not allowed, but you probably wont get into trouble for that"
    Thats a Gray area.
    Multibox programs are literally made with macros. You press W and it sends (whatever key you have it mapping to) it to in a sequence from one window to another - exactly what a macro does.
    A relay would just be what your keyboard does, sending the input to the PC.
    Even remapping your keys can be considered as a macro, it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

GM chats are whispers. It literally says "GMBlizzIcon XXX whispers". Its not a regular whisper, but its a whisper as I never stated anything more specific.
    As for GM's whispering, DC'ing, teleporting etc. to check player actions regarding possible botters - it is what they used to do a lot and be a basis for ban (https://www.thebuddyforum.com/thread...ne-too.108734/), but I suppose they've moved into the more automated system that bans in waves

I can do alot with what even the most used multiboxing programs allow me to do that you would probably deem being a "bot". And you're still dodging all the questions I've asked in this thread.

1) How much Macroing is allowed. Even the most basic multiboxin tool uses macros to send out inputs to all the different clients, in which you can decide many more things than just the basic options
    2) What kind of inputs are allowed, motion tracking etc.?
    3) How active do you need to be on the PC and how is it tested?

For the very basic of things, you could just map a button to your phone that sends a single key press to the pc which presses an in game macro that attacks spawning mobs, loots them and repeats the same thing over and over. Would this be allowed? What about if have a motion tracker when you're walking and that triggers the input, GM whispers can be answered via phone very easily.

There are a billion questions that Blizzards answers don't cover at all, which is why multiboxing all together is a gray area that currently can be used for botting without breaking the rules.

It's not really that simple in my opinion.

It depends where and what activity.

BGs? No.

World PVP? Maybe, are they producing enough lag to crash the server? If they are, then no.

Farming herbs and ore? Sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

I've multi-boxed since TBC. Really, just 2 accounts.

Never ever had a problem with other people complaining. I don't farm anything, I don't do anything that would upset another player.

I basically just /follow and let my 2nd account toon get as advanced, or close to, as my main.

People who multibox 5+ accounts are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Because then it wouldnt be automation.

Automation, or Labor-saving technology is the technology by which a process or procedure is performed with minimal human assistance.[1] Automation[2] or automatic control is the use of various control systems for operating equipment such as machinery, processes in factories, boilers and heat treating ovens, switching on telephone networks, steering and stabilization of ships, aircraft and other applications and vehicles with minimal or reduced human intervention.

What the multiboxing software does would classify as "reduced human intervention" wouldnt it? Because your only pressing it once instead of 10x
    False. Its just sending your keystrokes and mouse x/y coordinates to multiple windows. It’s not reducing human interaction, it’s the same just with 10 windows involved. Whereas botting is reduced human interaction, no input is required besides turning on the bot.

The semantic argument is pointless. It doesn't matter how "YOU" define these terms and actions. Blizzard has already defined them. They obviously know how it works. If you want things to change, you are going to need to do better than, Dear Blizzard, automation is this, and 3rd party means this and so swing the ban hammer you dodo head.

The only line of reasoning worthwhile is how multi-boxing affects the game, whether negatively or positively, and your experiences with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    You do know how MB works right? Multiple players will never be as precise as a MBer of the same size. So going up against one is typically more difficult than multiple players.
    Not really. If you go against 4 players, you have to kill 4. If you go against 1 MB with 4 toons, you have to kill 1 toon.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkess View Post
    So pretty simple question that I am interesting to hear peoples thoughts on. Do you think multiboxing should be allowed or not?
    It shouldn't.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't care because in following all the rules, a multi-boxer would be at a disadvantage or, if exceptional skilled, no better than others.

But we don't live in a perfect world. I've played WoW since the beginning (beta of Vanilla), and I can count the number of multi-boxers who played following all the rules on just one hand in all that time. I've run into many, *many* dozens of multi-boxers who were clearly cheating using various methods of automation.

Blizz, to its credit in the early years, did try to squash out those who cheated. But, as the years went by, Blizz got lazier and cheaper, and started rationalizing the cheating or outright deny the obvious. After all, money is money, and if someone wants to pay them $45 or $60 per month instead of $15, they'll rationalize a lot of things for the extra money (even better if the person buys tokens, in which case Blizz ultimately gets $60 or $80 per month instead).

Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    Multibox programs are literally made with macros. You press W and it sends (whatever key you have it mapping to) it to in a sequence from one window to another - exactly what a macro does.
    A relay would just be what your keyboard does, sending the input to the PC.
    Even remapping your keys can be considered as a macro, it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.
    I´ve literally posted you the Definition of a Macro, and it doesnt send the Input several times after another. It sends the Input to everyone Simultanius.

Its not: "Window 1: Button A, Window 2: Button B" Its. "Button A to all windows"

And, if you split the Cable of your Keyboard and send the Commands to two PCs instead of one, its not a Makro, it still relays the Output to two inputs.

GM chats are whispers. It literally says "GMBlizzIcon XXX whispers". Its not a regular whisper, but its a whisper as I never stated anything more specific.
    As for GM's whispering, DC'ing, teleporting etc. to check player actions regarding possible botters - it is what they used to do a lot and be a basis for ban (https://www.thebuddyforum.com/thread...ne-too.108734/), but I suppose they've moved into the more automated system that bans in waves
    WoW, how Recent, I´m sure nothing ever changed over 7 Years.

I can do alot with what even the most used multiboxing programs allow me to do that you would probably deem being a "bot". And you're still dodging all the questions I've asked in this thread.
    I didnt dodge any question.

1) How much Macroing is allowed. Even the most basic multiboxin tool uses macros to send out inputs to all the different clients, in which you can decide many more things than just the basic options
    I answered that already:
    You can use all kinds of Macros you want that are Possible to achieve with the Ingame API.

2) What kind of inputs are allowed, motion tracking etc.?
    Doesnt matter, this is not Related to MultiBoxing.
    If Motion Tracking is allowed, you can use Motion Tracking to controll all your Characters at once, if you relay the Input to all your Screens.

3) How active do you need to be on the PC and how is it tested?
    If you are not Active for 20-30minutes you are getting logged out. Simple as that.

For the very basic of things, you could just map a button to your phone that sends a single key press to the pc which presses an in game macro that attacks spawning mobs, loots them and repeats the same thing over and over. Would this be allowed? What about if have a motion tracker when you're walking and that triggers the input, GM whispers can be answered via phone very easily.
    Oo I dont see why this should not be allowed. You are technically playing your Character.
    But I also dont see the relation to MultiBoxing here, nor any relation to Botting.

The Question would be rather: Why would you want to set that up, and risk beeing (falsly) reported and banned as Bot?
    Because while you may be not Botting, it looks like it, and probably every investigation would lead to that conclusion.

There are a billion questions that Blizzards answers don't cover at all, which is why multiboxing all together is a gray area that currently can be used for botting without breaking the rules.
    You did not provide any Question that is not answered already, nor anything related to actuall Botting.

EDIT:
    Btw, your Questions sound like: "Hurr, I want to Bot, and I need as much Information to not get caught"
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2020-06-22 at 09:19 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Yes, why not. Blizzard will never ban multiboxing because it is a lot of money and tbh, they don't affect us at anything, except the occasional 1-shot ganking or "stealing" one scattered herb/node.
    Last edited by Nak88; 2020-06-22 at 10:07 PM.

I think it entirely depends on motivation and context. The ones farming mats / gold obviously have some impact on the economy, but i really dont think gold is at all a factor anymore, except for the top 100 players in the world when they pay insane money for those sweet sweet boe loots during the WF race.

I have come across some in BGs, and TBH, its only random bgs and its usually pretty entertaining and funny. I have used my priest to MC the leader a few times and that was pretty funny. Blizzard clearly dont care - the same group of 1 BM monk and 4 boomkins has been farming the same spot on my realm since BFA launch, and although many have reported, nothing has been done - last witnessed them there a couple of weeks ago, and like i said, the exact same group of 5 has been there since launch.

At the end of the day, Blizzard has made their stance very clear, so although it might be something you dislike, its just like ganking - its perfectly within the rules so just suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Not really. If you go against 4 players, you have to kill 4. If you go against 1 MB with 4 toons, you have to kill 1 toon.
    Much easier to avoid the 4 as the others could get distracted by other players. I mean in my limited experience PvPing against MBers, I find it easier against individuals than 1 guy with 5 tons. But that's me.

You should ask the other stuff as well so we have clear rules for what is allowed and what is not. Your stance (unless I mix you up with someone else) was something along the lines "I do what I know is right, and don't dabble in the rest" - yet theres clearly areas about it that you aren't so sure about.
    I'm unaware of the areas where I'm interested in doing something that I don't know about. I'm 100% certain everything I care about is within the rules. Anything I'm uncertain about is shit I have no interest in doing in the first place and only have a discovery channel curiosity in it.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    False. Its just sending your keystrokes and mouse x/y coordinates to multiple windows. It’s not reducing human interaction, it’s the same just with 10 windows involved. Whereas botting is reduced human interaction, no input is required besides turning on the bot.
    Ya i know, coz people defending it keep saying it like that over and over. Then im going to reply with something like "if it does not normally work like that, and you use a 3rd party program to do it for you, THAT is automation"

Can we stop repeating this argument over and over, not everyone is going to blindly see it the way you do.

If i buy a new computer, install windows, install wow, open 10 instances of wow, if i press something on my keyboard is it going to control all 10 instances of wow? NO! I could individually control them 1 by 1, OR i can install a 3rd party program to just send all my inputs for me FOR REDUCED HUMAN INTERACTION which is the definition of automation.

Now do you see it?
    Last edited by Yizu; 2020-06-23 at 01:20 AM.

Ya i know, coz people defending it keep saying it like that over and over. Then im going to reply with something like "if it does not normally work like that, and you use a 3rd party program to do it for you, THAT is automation"

Can we stop repeating this argument over and over, not everyone is going to blindly see it the way you do.

If i buy a new computer, install windows, install wow, open 10 instances of wow, if i press something on my keyboard is it going to control all 10 instances of wow? NO! I could individually control them 1 by 1, OR i can install a 3rd party program to just send all my inputs for me FOR REDUCED HUMAN INTERACTION which is the definition of automation.

Now do you see it?
    Blizzard does not see it as automation. You seem to be stuck on it like a broken record, crowing at the moon like it means something. No matter how much you cry 3rd party botting automation wolf .. it's never going to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranis View Post
    Blizzard does not see it as automation. You seem to be stuck on it like a broken record, crowing at the moon like it means something. No matter how much you cry 3rd party botting automation wolf .. it's never going to be true.
    No YOU seem to be stuck on a broken record, the point of the thread is "should multiboxing be allowed", we already know its allowed by blizz, throwing something like "yes its allowed coz blizzard says so" is grasping at straws. We are trying to get the opinion of people here, should blizz continue allowing multiboxing or not? What the f is the point of the thread if you are just going to answer "cuz blizz says so" if you ran out of arguments

I think we need some rules. The current state is not working.

No YOU seem to be stuck on a broken record, the point of the thread is "should multiboxing be allowed", we already know its allowed by blizz, throwing something like "yes its allowed coz blizzard says so" is grasping at straws. We are trying to get the opinion of people here, should blizz continue allowing multiboxing or not? What the f is the point of the thread if you are just going to answer "cuz blizz says so" if you ran out of arguments
    Like said before, if that's your goal, awesome. But making semantic arguments is pointless. If the best you can come up with is. It's botting, 3rd party programs, automation bs, when blizzard clearly disagrees. You just disagree with them. And while that's fine. It's a pointless argument. You can't win.

Why the hell would anyone debate with you on whether or not how you choose to frame it, constitutes bannable offenses under blizzads rules.. when blizzard themselves have already done so and deemed it not to be. IT"S POINTLESS.

Do you really think you are going to get bliz to redefine automation and how they see it? It's non persuasive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranis View Post
    Like said before, if that's your goal, awesome. But making semantic arguments is pointless. If the best you can come up with is. It's botting, 3rd party programs, automation bs, when blizzard clearly disagrees. You just disagree with them. And while that's fine. It's a pointless argument. You can't win.

Why the hell would anyone debate with you on whether or not how you choose to frame it, constitutes bannable offenses under blizzads rules.. when blizzard themselves have already done so and deemed it not to be. IT"S POINTLESS.
    Ya i came here to see if multiboxers can change my mind, and they cant, they havent given me a logical reason why blizz is still allowing it other than money. And looking at the polls it seems like people disagree with you too, and the "yes" results are probably multiboxed too. Better close this thread coz its not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    But seeing the effects, and just how MANY accounts that multiboxers can have these days, makes me 100% against it. If there are 3 packs of multiboxers in Nazj, say buh-bye to gathering any herbs.

How does there being a multi-boxer keep you from gathering herbs? Same thing if there was a party of people flying around gathering herbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya i came here to see if multiboxers can change my mind, and they cant, they havent given me a logical reason why blizz is still allowing it other than money. And looking at the polls it seems like people disagree with you too, and the "yes" results are probably multiboxed too. Better close this thread coz its not going anywhere.
    You never had any intent on changing your mind. The poll means shit. The people you need to convince are Blizzard, not us.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.