Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Raids have little effect on the progress of other raids.
    A premade has little effect on the progress of other players.

Raids have little effect on the progress of other raids.
    Raids are also not subject to a server wide system that forces players to either entirely figure out how to organize themselves, or, engage in total anarchy making everyone fend for themselves. This system is more fair, it's indisputable. If it wasn't in place, people would be creating topics on how the top teams hold a monopoly on the top ranks on the server. Now you are a part of that team, and like those elitists you have to wait your turn and do your part (depending on how far you want to get).

I did not list your points because there's not much to argue. The Black Friday analogy is not a bad one, though I hold that shopping should not be competitive and PvP should be. For your hunter, I feel a mix of sadness and respect. You are absolutely correct about PvP ranking being a rat race.
    So you agree that the classic PVP system is a rat race. That is good, because that's what it is. And how is a rat-race solved? When all the rats slow down. THIS is what these PVP communities are doing. They are slowing down the rat race, for everyone, from the casual solo-queuer to the die-hard dude who wants to get R14. They are not strong-arming anyone, they are not rattling down anyone Mafia-style. That's for the Un'goro and Black Lotus mafias. THOSE organisations, yes, those are horrible. But not the PVP communities that relegate it so you need to farm honour 10h/day instead of 20h/day.

Sidenote, LOL to all those people who talk about account-sharing with roommates/siblings to get R14 back in OG vanilla. If there's SOMETHING that's against the TOS, it's account sharing. I shit you not, go look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    sounds like a bunch of elitist asshats then. let's not kid ourselves this shit is 100% about how much time you can put in, which if you play enough to affect them kinda seems like proof in itself.
    I dont know them to call them asshats, but nothing wrong with being an elitist. Elitists have always been the only reason that kept this game going.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Not entirely true. When BWL was first released, Elementium Ore was scarce. My guild had 1.5 Thunderfuries ready (in terms of bindings we had 3, in terms of Arcanite we had 1.5) so we started borrowing Elementium Ore from guilds that weren't that far with their Thunderfuries. Had we been the only guild clearing BWL, we would not have been able to do that. Since there were more than 10+ guilds on the server clearing BWL, this transaction was possible to make. So no, in Classic, you are wrong. Raids DO have an effect on the progress of other raid teams, because there's no X-realm bullshit and the people you see in SW/Org today are the same people you will see week after week.
    Which is why I wrote "little" instead of "no" effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post
    A premade has little effect on the progress of other players.
    Really? What is the whole thread about, then, with brackets and all?

Which is why I wrote "little" instead of "no" effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? What is the whole thread about, then, with brackets and all?
    That you're not getting invited to that premade if you don't adhere to the rules, just like you won't get invited to that raid that has no influence on the progress of others if you don't adhere to the guild/raid leader's rules.

too many people still arguing with me, this is last and I am out.
    Nobody can decide how much I play and how I play. End of story. Anybody who dictates me how and when or what and where to play yes they have freedom to say it, but the second they name and shame, it is against ToS and if reported, bannable. simple as that.

No neckbeard can decide how others play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    too many people still arguing with me, this is last and I am out.
    Nobody can decide how much I play and how I play. End of story. Anybody who dictates me how and when or what and where to play yes they have freedom to say it, but the second they name and shame, it is against ToS and if reported, bannable. simple as that.

No neckbeard can decide how others play.
    Wait, lol calling people out isnt againt the ToS. For such an independent and "play by your own rules" sort of guy, your quick to pull up imagined rules and infractions lol

Well, whether you agree or disagree on the whole "bracket breaker" treatment, I think this thread has done a good job highlighting what an utterly shit system vanilla WoW PVP was/is. Breaking away from "WoW as a job" was one of the best decisions I made back in TBC. I won't understand why people are still putting up with this hassle for an old, obsolete game, but to each their own I suppose.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    Oh sure, if you have a group that you can play with regardless you're free to go wild. I was specifically referring to someone playing solo as the OP suggested though.
    Ah ok. Well if hes having fun solo queuing they better get used to playing more or try to work something out with him. Not much else you can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgwhat View Post
    So, I understand that server reputation was/is important, as I played in TBC.
    Depends who you ask, I broke all the 'unwritten rules' and never gave a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    I have NO idea how everything works in detail, nor do I care.
    Feels like this thread would have been a hell of a lot shorter if all the people who subscribe to this viewpoint had decided to do something more useful with their time

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    Feels like this thread would have been a hell of a lot shorter if all the people who subscribe to this viewpoint had decided to do something more useful with their time
    Genuinely surprised it lasted 12 pages. Cursory glance suggests it's a tonne of people with 0 experience in the ranking system moaning about something they don't understand at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Well, whether you agree or disagree on the whole "bracket breaker" treatment, I think this thread has done a good job highlighting what an utterly shit system vanilla WoW PVP was/is. Breaking away from "WoW as a job" was one of the best decisions I made back in TBC. I won't understand why people are still putting up with this hassle for an old, obsolete game, but to each their own I suppose.
    But...dude. That's EXACTLY why organised PVP communities and specific bracket limits exist. Precisely BECAUSE noone wants to treat WoW as a job. Have you even read the earlier posts?

The best example is my server, Dreadmist-EU. The Horde are full of people who don't give a shit about set brackets, so ranking on Horde is super hard. The Alliance has its own nice PVP discord, sets brackets, and people get R11/R12/R13/R14 with about 8-10h played per day. Instead of 20h/day. These PVP communities facilitate what YOU are advocating. They don't WANT it to be a hassle where you gotta no-life your weeks in BG's. They got other shit to do. So they group up, they talk it over, and you get this beautiful effect of being able to reach R14 with around 700k honour/week. Instead of 1.4 million. Or 2 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    But...dude. That's EXACTLY why organised PVP communities and specific bracket limits exist. Precisely BECAUSE noone wants to treat WoW as a job. Have you even read the earlier posts?
    I've absolutely read the earlier posts. I think you misunderstand. I don't mean "WoW as a job" in strictly the time commitment sense (which is still there, just not to the degree it used to be). Tracking brackets with addons, running discords to organize people, having your play time dictated by strangers, managing X amount of honor gains for Y amount of people over Z amount of time, and requiring months of this type of management to reap the rewards. Compare that to 99% of video games where you hop on when you want and play for as long as you want. Yeah, it might not be as bad as it was but it's still a broken system.

hrm this topic, ill give a specific example of my self im on ZT eu and i was levelling my druid he was 58 when the av week end came around so i thing this was the best time to grind my av rep when i mentioned this in discord i was told specifically not to go above 550k which was the cap for that week set by the servers pvp community (normally its 500k) now normally i'd love to tick off pvp'ers, because they normally just go for the quick wins because of the fast queues by the end of the av weekend i was 2k off of exalted with 460k honor gained, just imagine what would have happened if some of the games were not turtled by others trying to get rep for atleast 30 minuets?

people want to keep the weekly caps low to make it easier but if i want to pvp and the server discord says i can only earn X honor a week that is basing others dictating how I or anyone else plays this game

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    people want to keep the weekly caps low to make it easier but if i want to pvp and the server discord says i can only earn X honor a week that is basing others dictating how I or anyone else plays this game
    You (not you specifically, anyone) repeatedly breaking bracket caps forces people who are ranking properly to spend even more time in bgs farming honor to overcome what you have done - why are they not allowed to "dictate" how you play, but you have no problem dictating how they should play?

Wow, what a thread. Classic PVP ranking system, where skill is based on interacting within a community and has nothing to do with button-pushing.

I've always wished that killing faction leaders in a city raid would be a great way to get weapons comparable to rank 14 gear. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    You (not you specifically, anyone) repeatedly breaking bracket caps forces people who are ranking properly to spend even more time in bgs farming honor to overcome what you have done - why are they not allowed to "dictate" how you play, but you have no problem dictating how they should play?
    i have no quarrel with how people play, but IF i wanted to farm honor i'd do so regardless of cap or not if i did go over my servers 500k (550k on av weekend) cap im not dictating how other people should play its their choice to farm more honor or not

also with the server trying to force the braker off that server how that work? with almost all the servers being locked to new players that would leave them with only the quit option
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2020-06-23 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I've absolutely read the earlier posts. I think you misunderstand. I don't mean "WoW as a job" in strictly the time commitment sense (which is still there, just not to the degree it used to be). Tracking brackets with addons, running discords to organize people, having your play time dictated by strangers, managing X amount of honor gains for Y amount of people over Z amount of time, and requiring months of this type of management to reap the rewards. Compare that to 99% of video games where you hop on when you want and play for as long as you want. Yeah, it might not be as bad as it was but it's still a broken system.
    Ah ok. In that sense you're right - but that's what happens when Blizzard creates a system like the old-school ranking PVP system. It's a system based on time spent playing rather than skill. It's also a system that makes the faction compete with itself. What it does have going for it though is that, if you're a dick, and not fun to play with, you won't get shit. That's why many, many, MANY old vanilla Grand Marshals got their asses handed to them on a silver platter when TBC arenas came out. When the populace had access to the exact same PVP gear as them (Gladiator, Merciless, Vengeful and Brutal), and itemization + specs were fixed, some Grand Marshals weeped. Not all mind you, but some.