Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Themius, do all your different identities qualify for being a diverse social circle?
    I have no clue why you're calling my ethnicities an "identity". Seems like a super weird thing to do.

My social circle by the way is diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    My social circle by the way is diverse.
    Oh good. You should have one of the smarter ones explain why it's basic common sense that a majority group would have a less diverse social circle than a minority group.

(hint because I don't actually want you asking someone a stupid question: if there are a lot more purple people than green people, the pool of "other people" to draw from is a lot larger for greens than purples.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Oh good. You should have one of the smarter ones explain why it's basic common sense that a majority group would have a less diverse social circle than a minority group.

(hint because I don't actually want you asking someone a stupid question: if there are a lot more purple people than green people, the pool of "other people" to draw from is a lot larger for greens than purples.)
    actually that isn't it... which has been accounted for in most of these studies.

White people specifically seem to self segregate, the country isn't 90% white, it is about 68% white, so white people ending up with friends only being white 81-90% of the time is out of step with even the population.

White people living in towns that are 98% white when the country itself isn't that white is a form of self segregation. It seems more that white people are choosing who to be friends with and who their circle is not that there just aren't enough minorities around. Often when there are minorities around white people start leaving

Well if you're a white person and you move into a non-white neighborhood you've committed the grave sin of gentrification.

White people living in towns that are 98% white when the country itself isn't that white is a form of self segregation.
    This is a really weird form of classism. Usually people don't make decisions on where to live on the back of racial statistics or trying to create some form of racial harmony. These decisions are almost entirely rooted in economic factors. If you have the option to move and suffer little to no setback you're either really well off or have no ties to your current location - not the living situation many people find themselves in.

It seems more that white people are choosing who to be friends with and who their circle is not that there just aren't enough minorities around.
    Is this the reverse form of "I have a black friend, so I can't be racist"?...
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    This is a really weird form of classism. Usually people don't make decisions on where to live on the back of racial statistics or trying to create some form of racial harmony. These decisions are almost entirely rooted in economic factors. If you have the option to move and suffer little to no setback you're either really well off or have no ties to your current location - not the living situation many people find themselves in.

Is this the reverse form of "I have a black friend, so I can't be racist"?...
    Studied would tend to disagree with you.

For instance it has been noted when a Hispanic person moved into a neighbourhood white people grow concerned about it and tend to move out.

So sad, they didn't even make it to their first harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    So sad, they didn't even make it to their first harvest.
    Exactly what side are you on? Side of proud boy supporting cops or...

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what side are you on? Side of proud boy supporting cops or...
    I don’t think that criticisms of this whole CHAZ stunt are merely a notion of “hating the liberals and loving the neo-nazis”

I’m not saying the other people here bagging on it and disagreeing with you are attempting that level of discourse. I’m of the opinion that they’re generally bitter conservatives desperately looking for a way to distract from Donald Trump’s complete and utter shitshow of a presidency. As evidenced by the fact that they’ll show up here to jerk each other off about conservative talking points but won’t dare show their faces in the trump discussion thread.

But what I’M saying, as a progressive and abject hater of Trump (and a person with more non-white friends than white friends, seeing as you seem to be making that a thing) is that this CHAZ thing is just a passing bit of nonsense. It is targeted at nothing and says nothing. Its continued existence proves nothing and furthers nothing. What does it say? That people can build a community garden and that people are generally angry about the state of policing in the US? How does that turn into legislation at the end of the day? It doesn’t. And if it doesn’t turn into legislation or direct legal action... it was pointless, and will be forgotten as quickly as it came.

I saw this exact same thing when I walked with people in the occupy Wall Street movement. There was no goal and no direction. And people lost interest. And all of that effort and care that people expended, and are expending now, was... kind of meaningless in the long run.

Now again, don’t misconstrue me. Protests are good. Protests against police brutality and Trump are wonderful. But the protests have to DEMAND something. And I don’t mean some “we’re generally disgruntled at the state of things, so extrapolate what we want from that and then give it to us!” Because that doesn’t work.

Movements need leaders. (Another critical failure of the occupy wall street movement.) movements need direction and organization and a message, clear and concrete, with a ten-point plan you can mail to a congressman and stick on a billboard. If you don’t have those things, it doesn’t matter how many drum circles you can muster up on a city street for a few weeks; that effort will mean nothing.

So this Chaz thing was silly. Not because it shows “liberal hypocrisy” or whatever other idiotic nonsense the Trumpsters in this thread were jerking each other off over. It was silly because it was a lot of wasted effort that should have been focused to much better effect.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-06-23 at 07:14 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad to see common sense prevails in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Glad to see common sense prevails in the end.
    I doubt it over yet. I'm not sure anyone knows how many guns they've been stockpiling in Chaz.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I doubt it over yet. I'm not sure anyone knows how many guns they've been stockpiling in Chaz.
    Doubt that much more than in the rest of America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    they’ll show up here to jerk each other off about conservative talking points but won’t dare show their faces in the trump discussion thread.
    Yeah, not like trump thread is a toxic cesspit of haters brined in their own bile where actual circle jerking is going on for years It's just weak trumpkins too feeble to withstand its caustic miasma

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I highly doubt they will go to war there, all in all you have a bunch of civilians there and a small number of thugs the likes of those from streaming incident - grabbing some bloke's phone 3v1 is one thing, but they won't be fighting wars there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I highly doubt they will go to war there, all in all you have a bunch of civilians there and a small number of thugs the likes of those from streaming incident - grabbing some bloke's phone 3v1 is one thing, but they won't be fighting wars there.
    I don't think it will be a war. but I fully expect them to resist.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I don’t think that criticisms of this whole CHAZ stunt are merely a notion of “hating the liberals and loving the neo-nazis”

I’m not saying the other people here bagging on it and disagreeing with you are attempting that level of discourse. I’m of the opinion that they’re generally bitter conservatives desperately looking for a way to distract from Donald Trump’s complete and utter shitshow of a presidency. As evidenced by the fact that they’ll show up here to jerk each other off about conservative talking points but won’t dare show their faces in the trump discussion thread.
    Orange man bad discussion is not something i waste my time on nor will anyone with some common sense. And even i will admit that Trump has plenty of faults.

But what I’M saying, as a progressive and abject hater of Trump (and a person with more non-white friends than white friends, seeing as you seem to be making that a thing) is that this CHAZ thing is just a passing bit of nonsense. It is targeted at nothing and says nothing. Its continued existence proves nothing and furthers nothing. What does it say? That people can build a community garden and that people are generally angry about the state of policing in the US? How does that turn into legislation at the end of the day? It doesn’t. And if it doesn’t turn into legislation or direct legal action... it was pointless, and will be forgotten as quickly as it came.
    A pity it was great show in left wing cluster fuckery.

I saw this exact same thing when I walked with people in the occupy Wall Street movement. There was no goal and no direction. And people lost interest. And all of that effort and care that people expended, and are expending now, was... kind of meaningless in the long run.
    LOL not going to happen anytime soon. A Dozen of left wing groups each believing only their cause is just .

Now again, don’t misconstrue me. Protests are good. Protests against police brutality and Trump are wonderful. But the protests have to DEMAND something. And I don’t mean some “we’re generally disgruntled at the state of things, so extrapolate what we want from that and then give it to us!” Because that doesn’t work.
    Violent thugs demanding social change. That's called terrorism

Movements need leaders. (Another critical failure of the occupy wall street movement.) movements need direction and organization and a message, clear and concrete, with a ten-point plan you can mail to a congressman and stick on a billboard. If you don’t have those things, it doesn’t matter how many drum circles you can muster up on a city street for a few weeks; that effort will mean nothing.
    Let me know when the leader arrives so i can properly heil him/her/it. Who am I kidding left-wingers don't have the backbone or integrity to be proper leaders.

So this Chaz thing was silly. Not because it shows “liberal hypocrisy” or whatever other idiotic nonsense the Trumpsters in this thread were jerking each other off over. It was silly because it was a lot of wasted effort that should have been focused to much better effect.
    Its wasted now and it's wasted in the future. This shit you glorify? It is basically the same crap rehearsed over and over again. But plz continue i want to see the next brilliant left wing plan.
    Last edited by DKjaigen; 2020-06-23 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Or they can go to the Safeway that is like a block away and...buy food there.
    I just figured that none of them had money or wanted to go spend money outside because they want to be autonomous.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I just figured that none of them had money or wanted to go spend money outside because they want to be autonomous.
    Indeed, maybe you should stop making assumptions based on a right wing media narrative trying to paint it as some anarchist hellhole?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    It pretty much is. so why assume?
    It pretty much is not, speaking as a Seattle resident who's been down to the CHOP. It has much more of an arts festival vibe to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It pretty much is not, speaking as a Seattle resident who's been down to the CHOP. It has much more of an arts festival vibe to it.
    What kind of arts festival have you been to that has racial segregation areas?