Old spells/tier sets and time walking

What if when you entered a TW dungeon you could choose to run old talent/spell builds and preset tier sets from that time?

I think it'd be cool to play an old Blood DK dps, or a Firelands Boomy, or ICC warrior again.

Obviously there isn't a match to every class and scenario, but I think it'd be cool to have the option of reliving those old builds in a controlled environment. Like an item you interact with at the start of a dungeon, you just get a pre-determined set-up o gear and/or talents and spells regardless of your current set up.

It would be optional so no one feels forced into it.

As fun as an idea that sounds (as I'd personally enjoy playing TBC 0/21/40 Warlock again. SB SB SB SB SB SB SB SB SB), it does sound like it'd take a lot of effort to implement into the game, & considering Timewalking is just a limited monthly event, I don't think the time investment would be worthwhile.

That said, I do like that my old legendaries work in Timewalking, & wish that Blizzard would re-enable old tier sets/bonuses to go along with it. Running TW dungeons fully twinked out with tier bonuses & gems for days was a lot of fun for me.

I was somewhat annoyed when they turned off old set bonuses. I was one of those players who farmed up and gemmed out sets specifically for timewalking. Adding the old talent trees back would be a massive hassle, though.

Activating all Tier sets of the expansion timewalking takes place in would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I was somewhat annoyed when they turned off old set bonuses. I was one of those players who farmed up and gemmed out sets specifically for timewalking. Adding the old talent trees back would be a massive hassle, though.
    Aye exactly. It's a shame I can barely use any of those items nowadays because everything is corrupted & whatnot, although it would be interesting to see the difference in damage between my current BfA gear & my fully twinked out gemmed to the teeth leggo set.

Old Blood DPS wouldn't work in timewalking, the entire spec was built around arpen. Good news is you can play a pretty close approximation in SL. Just use HS for every rune and coil off the RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I was somewhat annoyed when they turned off old set bonuses.
    When did they do that? Do leggos still work?

They really turned me off in WOD because only WOD tier sets worked in timewalking when they took away old tier sets working in there.
    And WOD was constructed in a way, where GOOD tier set bonuses would be available only in N/HC and Mythic. I was running mythic on main, but on alts? Gimme a break. LFR set bonus was +120 strength. GG! NM was 3 charges of wings for pala...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    What if when you entered a TW dungeon you could choose to run old talent/spell builds and preset tier sets from that time?

I think it'd be cool to play an old Blood DK dps, or a Firelands Boomy, or ICC warrior again.

Obviously there isn't a match to every class and scenario, but I think it'd be cool to have the option of reliving those old builds in a controlled environment. Like an item you interact with at the start of a dungeon, you just get a pre-determined set-up o gear and/or talents and spells regardless of your current set up.

It would be optional so no one feels forced into it.
    They couldn't even be assed to make all dungeons available from each tw expansion.

Don't see them going through re-making the specs and spells and balancing them

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    When did they do that? Do leggos still work?
    Back in Legion. Apparently there were some shennanigans with using old set bonuses pre-pull on current content to cheese things so they turned all "legacy set bonuses" off. Old legendaries still work if they have individual abilities, I think. If they have set abilities (like glaives and the DS daggers) then those went the way of the other set bonuses. Legion legendaries don't work past lvl 115, and I'm not sure if that reverts when a lvl120 is doing a timewalking dungeon.

Personally im not AGAINST what you are saying. Waht i wish is that Time-walking was on its own weekly rotation - always available - always dropping respectable 'starter' loot - comparable to a M+2 or something. I also wish they would bring back tabards so you can farm Reps in dungeons, but i do understand their reason for not doing that.

The way i see time-walking working is the Weekly switches to the raid, so time-walking is ALWAYS up, but, the weekly still rolls around with the same frequency it does now, and that loot is slightly higher (from the raid, dungeons remain the same). I just wish there was a viable alternative to farming mindless WQ - its one of the main reasons i quit - i just cant do it anymore, i dont enjoy it. I like the current difficulty of time-walking - its a respectable place for testing out a class / spec you have never done before, and a good place to learn to tank / heal, if you are a complete beginner.

Either way, i would love to see them expand on the time-walking system, it feels quite wasted currently. I acknowledge their argument that if it was up all the time it would get boring quickly, but tbh, i dont believe that at all - that same argument would mean no one would raid - no one would do dungeons, mythic or otherwise, as they are "always up". Same goes for WQ and basically all content - when you really think about it, it doesnt make any sense at all.

The current content should always be the prefered method to gear a toon - M+, Raids, PVP - these are the gearing paths i would like to see continue to be where the real powerful loot comes from, and i dont want TW to compete with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    They couldn't even be assed to make all dungeons available from each tw expansion.

Don't see them going through re-making the specs and spells and balancing them
    I should add to my comment, this is another factor that confuses me - im assuming they have the tech to scale ALL dungeons from each expansion with the flick of a switch (not literally obviously, but very easily) so i dont understand why they have not expanded on the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    YEa as mentioned it sounds a lot of fun but would probably be a bitch to implement for every time walking event. :P

With Vanilla, TBC and WotLK looking set for a bit of a trilogy re-release thats the closest experience we are going to get that that sort of thing :P

Yeah the resources required for this project would most likely be the reason it'll never see the light of day. Too much to ask from a small indie company.

Was really just looking to see if people liked the idea, and what old iteration of characters the player base would want to see again.

it used to be fun to make old timewalking sets, and then they detected the fun and deactivated the old tier set bonuses.