Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.

Megathread: Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Over 15 years since we got the original version of the cult classic 3D platformer (If you were console gamer, that is. PC and handheld versions of the game weren't close to being the same game), and we're about a week out from the remaster, Rehydrated.

Who else is excited to return to the world of Bikini Bottom?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it actually good? I'm skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If you like spongebob and n64 style platformers, sure it's good. It's not a typical shitty licensed game which where common in the era.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    It's actually good. SBBB is one of the top cartoon-themed games, and came from an era where most cartoon themed games were pretty trash (SBBB, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot being the only exceptions)

I've only got questions about the art style for the remaster tbh.
    I don't like the fact you can see where projectiles land with the targets, and the targets look pretty awkward compared to the rest of the art style.
    Last edited by Lilithvia; 2020-06-16 at 09:11 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean it's not the worst game ever but the only reason people like it now is because it's one of the technical games to speedrun.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    I mean it's not the worst game ever but the only reason people like it now is because it's one of the technical games to speedrun.
    It's a top tier 3D platformer. the speed running community came AFTER the game had success.

- - - Updated - - -

2003 graphics warning
    Last edited by Lilithvia; 2020-06-16 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Spyro.
    . Off topic but found out the old ps1 works very well since that was the second one purchased right before ps2 launch. Ripto’s Rush has to be there but don’t remember on first glance. God you got me membering right now, damn Moneybags...

Over 15 years since we got the original version of the cult classic 3D platformer (If you were console gamer, that is. PC and handheld versions of the game weren't close to being the same game), and we're about a week out from the remaster, Rehydrated.

Who else is excited to return to the world of Bikini Bottom?
    Cult?
    It's not actually cult if almost nobody heard of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t understand why I would play a remaster when I can play the original game. If I want to play a game over 10 years old, I want to play that game, not some awkward mix of modern visuals and outdated gameplay. I only play old games for nostalgia so why tf would I want updated graphics? In my opinion, outdated games are products of their time and should not be ruined by peoples’ current precoccupation with superficial crap “ewww ugly grafixxx”. Games are games first, and visual experiences second.

I’ll never understand why remasters are so popular.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Cult?
    "I haven't heard of it so your descriptions are bad"
    nice personal experience fallacy tho.
    Even on the steam page, one of the popular USER-DEFINED TAGS for the game is "Cult Classic"
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...m__Rehydrated/
    Last edited by Lilithvia; 2020-06-17 at 07:40 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    24 hours till launch!
    Hyyyyyyyype

Sounds like performance in switch version is absolute garbo, shame cause I really don't have any intention of playing this game on the TV so I likely won't be buying it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sounds like performance in switch version is absolute garbo, shame cause I really don't have any intention of playing this game on the TV so I likely won't be buying it.
    You're acting like PCs don't exist, and it's a complete courtesy for THQ to port to Switch in the first place.
    The Switch is like everyone's side chick buddy. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be at peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Cult?
    "If I haven't heard of it, surely no one else has... right?"

- - - Updated - - -

It's a top tier 3D platformer. the speed running community came AFTER the game had success.
    It was a very fun game for its time. I've actually been thinking about buying the remaster.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

You're acting like PCs don't exist, and it's a complete courtesy for THQ to port to Switch in the first place.
    The Switch is like everyone's side chick buddy. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be at peace.
    The fuck are you talking about? You think my PC can magically be played in bed or at work? It's not a game I would ever sit down and play seriously, only something I would play to kill short periods of time.

And save me the excuses, SMO looks miles better then this game and runs at a locked 60 fps, this port can't even maintain a stable 30. The switch is more then capable of handling it, it's just a trash port.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-06-23 at 11:45 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The fuck are you talking about? You think my PC can magically be played in bed or at work? It's not a game I would ever sit down and play seriously, only something I would play to kill short periods of time.

And save me the excuses, SMO looks miles better then this game and runs at a locked 60 fps, this port can't even maintain a stable 30. The switch is more then capable of handling it, it's just a trash port.
    It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about, what a remote desktop connection is, or what healthy sleeping habits are

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    "If I haven't heard of it, surely no one else has... right?"

- - - Updated - - -

It was a very fun game for its time. I've actually been thinking about buying the remaster.
    PSN is giving me trouble, will have to head to Gamestop on Saturday to buy a copy

- - - Updated - - -

PSN had no troubles today.
    Also, THE STEAM SALE IS UPON US SISTERS! LET THE SAVINGS BEGIN!

It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about, what a remote desktop connection is, or what healthy sleeping habits are
    This seems like a crazy strong false equivalence to back up what is a shit port. Claiming the Switch hardware isn't capable of running a game like this at a locked 60 fps is quite laughable. It ran at 60 fps on the gamecube ffs and even when taking the remastered graphics into account it still looks worse then games that are 60 fps on Switch.

I'm really sorry it bothers you so much I'm not buying a shit port, nor do I have any intention of playing this game on my TV, on my PC or on a tablet with controller needed on top of it. The only way I would of played it is on Switch and the Switch port is shit. Sorry that reality offends you so much.

5+ Year Old Account
    This seems like a crazy strong false equivalence to back up what is a shit port. Claiming the Switch hardware isn't capable of running a game like this at a locked 60 fps is quite laughable. It ran at 60 fps on the gamecube ffs and even when taking the remastered graphics into account it still looks worse then games that are 60 fps on Switch.

I'm really sorry it bothers you so much I'm not buying a shit port, nor do I have any intention of playing this game on my TV, on my PC or on a tablet with controller needed on top of it. The only way I would of played it is on Switch and the Switch port is shit. Sorry that reality offends you so much.
    "I'm sorry it bothers you that I don't know how the Switch differs from the GameCube"

If you want it to run 60fps so badly, how about we port the Handheld version of the game to your Switch instead? Surely a 2D platformer would run better.

As someone who plays both console and PC, there really isn't anything bad about a console game running at console speeds. the game runs at 30 FPS on PS4 and Xbox. If you want 60fps, Steam and Epic are there for you.

If not, I've already given you alternatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Try the game out now that it's actually available for download. It's a good remaster of a early 2000's game as I mentioned earlier, but avoid the switch port, Tech here thinks the inability to run at 60fps makes it horribad for a handheld port.
    Last edited by Lilithvia; 2020-06-25 at 06:56 PM.

"I'm sorry it bothers you that I don't know how the Switch differs from the GameCube"

If you want it to run 60fps so badly, how about we port the Handheld version of the game to your Switch instead? Surely a 2D platformer would run better.

As someone who plays both console and PC, there really isn't anything bad about a console game running at console speeds. the game runs at 30 FPS on PS4 and Xbox. If you want 60fps, Steam and Epic are there for you.

If not, I've already given you alternatives.
    This is really confusing me why this is escalating so much.

All Tech said was the Switch port has performance issues that make literally no sense considering Super Mario Odyssey manages a stable 60FPS while being far more polished.

I mean, it's not unusual that company's who port to Nintendo in general never seem to be able to maximize the game.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews...m_-_rehydrated

even mentions it several times.

If we were to stop there, it would go without saying that this is an exceptional port, but unfortunately, a litany of technical issues mar this otherwise pleasant experience. For example, the uncapped framerate targets 60 FPS, but this can quickly dive to sub 30 FPS regions if you happen to be in any semi-open area or there are lots of moving objects on screen at once. Then there are the glitches, which can range from minor to nearly game-breaking. For example, when we defeated King Jellyfish in his boss fight, the post-fight cutscene glitched out and didn’t play in full. As a result, the path to a golden spatula that’s unlocked after the fight wasn’t opened, effectively locking us out of ever collecting that one.

Things like this pop up far too frequently, alongside animations that don’t play right (if at all) or audio that isn’t synced properly. Now, a recent patch put out by the developer has fixed many of the issues present in the initial release, so it’s not as bad as it’s been. However, several more issues are still unaddressed, and their near-constant presence gives this port a rather cheap and rushed feeling. The underlying content is undeniably solid, but you’ll be hard-pressed to get through this one without running into some performance problems or glitches.

the game runs at 30 FPS on PS4 and Xbox. If you want 60fps, Steam and Epic are there for you.
    Pretty sure it runs at 60 fps on both, and should quite easily be able to brute force that. If it doesn't maintain 60 fps on those systems then those ports are laughable as fuck as well. Imagine thinking you need to play on PC to get 60 fps in platformers when almost all of them are 60 fps on consoles. Let alone the fact those are modern platformers, not a remaster of what was a PS2/GC/Xbox game.