Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Baine is bad. He does very little despite his moral posturing.
    He retakes Thunder Bluff from Magatha, warns Theramore of Garrosh's attack, covers the Horde's retreat from Theramore, saves Garrosh from quillboar, organizes the retreat at Lordaeron, coordinates the Horde's efforts with the Zandalari on Zandalar, and rescues Derek from his cell aboard the Horde warship. I'm pretty sure he's done more than Cairne at this point. Now, if you want to argue he's disloyal to the Horde, that's fine, but saying he does very little is a gross exaggeration, particularly when compared to some other lore characters (Zen'kiki is my nomination for most useless).

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    He retakes Thunder Bluff from Magatha,

warns Theramore of Garrosh's attack,

covers the Horde's retreat from Theramore,

saves Garrosh from quillboar,

organizes the retreat at Lordaeron, coordinates the Horde's efforts with the Zandalari on Zandalar,

and rescues Derek from his cell aboard the Horde warship.

I'm pretty sure he's done more than Cairne at this point. Now, if you want to argue he's disloyal to the Horde, that's fine, but saying he does very little is a gross exaggeration, particularly when compared to some other lore characters (Zen'kiki is my nomination for most useless).
    1. That was okay up until he spared Magatha, freeing her up to do worse things in the future.

2. The Warning was useless. It got more people killed there.

3. The quillboar story was dumb because Baine cared more about Quillboar than his people that they killed.

4. Not a big deal. Retreat and Deskwork can be done by anyone.

5. Too little too late after Teldrassil, this is the first time in a long while he was proactive and still managed to be captured too.

6. For the Alliance yeah, not for the Horde. And many of his actions are passive and REACTIVE rather than PRO-Active.

You can trust baine to do the right thing... but only after waiting much longer than he should've, whining about it... and when he finally gets around to it, it's too little, too late.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Talrath View Post
    Let's name some useles characters.

JAINA:
    I watched the broken shore cinematic again where varian got killed. And it hit me, there are so many useles characters which blizzard writes to get their agenda done. Why did this come up, well.... During the broken shore, Jaina makes a bridge and then varian got killed. So did she got out of combat, used a heart stone and peace out? She has the second strongest staff and just didn't do anything, while at lordaeron she finally did something, she iced everything, so why not do it for your childhood friend? What odd reason will blizzard give? Training,? Oh please.

Malfurion:
    Guy is basically the strongest mortal but wasn't at the broken shore to push back the legion.

Varian:
    Dude, you could have gone to the nightborne and moongaurd and bring them into the alliance to fight the legion. Make suramar the command center.

Tyrande gets a pass cuz she she is useless incarnate.

Thrall:
    Getting depressed for killing garrosh, dude, he was nuts.

Jarod shadowsong:
    Always refuses to lead the night elfs and look what happens now. Varian dead, moongaurd almost wiped out, Ysera dead, teldrassil became a campfire. Dude! How much destruction does there have to happen before you take lead! War of the ancients big!

Anduin:
    Not even going there.
    You lost me the moment you said "agenda". Nowadays everyone using the word while complaining about something sounds paranoid to me

Also non of them are useless just not omnipotent

Characters like Baine, Anduin or Nathanos and Sylvanas on the other end may be dire, but they're not useless - they contribute something to the plot, however poor. If you cut them, things would be different in major ways and there's next to no one who could substitute them and still have the same thing happen.

Now if you want useless characters, look no further than bringing back Muradin - in charge of a side race of frost dwarves never mentioned again and with no lore, retroactively making Arthas's decisive turn to choose the sword over him emotionally hollow since he survives with no harm and part of a Council that has never done a single thing. You could swap him out in the warfront with say, Thargas Anvilmar, and not only could you do the exact same thing, not only would it make more sense since he's closer to the location, but you could then make a whole bit about how his increased prominence makes Moira worry about whether he might contest the future kingship of her son. Bringing him back was a terrible choice and has in 10 years not yielded a single worthwhile story or indeed a story at all. Dettach him from the Arthas story and he is literally just a generic dwarf and not only do we have hundreds of those already, we have better ones who are badly in need of plot focus.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tincjin View Post
    ^

If you think those characters useless, then please give me example of useful ones.

Are they good written? Eh, they had their moments but it's not a stellar storytelling. But their are certainly not useless.

You want useless? Nathanos. All that guy does is trash-talk everybody and has no decent plot or place in the universe besides being in Sylvanas' shadow.
    Yes. Nathanos is absolutely useless. Back during the Stormheim campaign, when Nathanos was on the ship fighting Genn, let's be honest, Genn should have shredded that good for jack shit poor excuse for a lap-dog.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

Mankrik. He has yet to find his wife. How useless.

3+ Year Old Account
    (joking) The Relentless/ The Golden Skipper. Why would I use a boat when there is a portal I could easily use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Umm no, no worgen help Varian other than to take down a magnataur - numerous orcs aid and protect Garrosh throughout the fight

Garrosh himself panics in his head at how good Varian is;

"I have been a fool! the warchief knew then. I should’ve planned an even greater, more brutal thrust! With such a leader, the Alliance may even take eastern Ashenvale back!"

And in that very fight Varian wounds Garrosh numerous times whereas Garrosh scored none

As for Tides of War

Varian easily dodges around Garrosh's attacks, described as 'dancing' - and the book itseld describes Garrosh as having "all finesse and strategy gone"

If Garrosh in a planned out attack bolstered by numerous Kor'kron warriors couldn't kill Varian - What makes you think an enraged, lone Garrosh could? Garrosh is so overestimated, he really isn't that good aside from being big and strong - remember when he nearly lost to quilboar because he's so dumb?
    Reread these two battles. And Garrosh’s words speak of Varian’s tactical prowess, not his personal strength.

Useless character:
    Mordent Evenshade. What is this guy's purpose, other than being a minor side character to Tyrande, Malfurion, Maiev, Shandris, Jarod, the Worgen, the Gilneans and basically every other Alliance "leader."

Yrel, Khadgar, Malfurion, Tyrande

And all pandas

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Mankrik. He has yet to find his wife. How useless.
    Not true. He's already buried his old wife, and probably found a new one.

Most useless wow character?

Whats your mains name?

10+ Year Old Account
    Jaina = Most powerful female mage

Varian = Single handedly destroyed a fel reaver, beat Garrosh in a 1v1 every time it happened, arguably the greatest ever warrior, certainly the best human fighter ever

Malfurion = Literally saved the world

Tyrande = Literally helped save the world, led the Night Elves successfully for thousands of years

Thrall = Essentially became aspect of earth, stopped Deathwing

Jarod Shadowsong = Saved Huln Highmountain, the Ancients willingly served under him in battle

Anduin = Won the fourth War, Destroyed the Divine Bell, Led the Alliance to victory during the Second Legion Invasion

Can you learn the lore before making garbage ass threads please
    Well said.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Lucan Foxblood. His only "use" was to satiate Knaak's lust for unique special snowflake human characters stealing the spotlight from other races even in areas of their expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    Vereesa practically stopped existing after MoP, so...
    But before that she had important stories like forgetting her children even existed (if only her children followed her lesson and ceased to exist) so I don't think she counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The ships cannons.
    That have to be loaded and shot.

While the ship is tilting a full 90 degrees almost.

You want to try accomplishing that?
    Not even remotely close to 90 degrees and given the circumstances there's absolutely nothing justifying the notion that all of them were not loaded (especially since the guns used on Alliance gunships aren't single-load canons).

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So you acknowledge the cannons were already fired, and you're still trying to claim an unloaded cannon should be shot by people falling off of said ship.

Just making sure that's your argument.

Never mind the fact that a cannon blast at that close range could damage the ship too.
    It's almost as if between the one barrage that we've seen and the Fel Reaver grabbing the ship enough time has passed for the gunship to get into the position for boarding, for the Alliance to board it and for Gul'dan to summon the Fel Reaver. Yet here you are, trying to pain the amazing narrative that Alliance is so inept that no one in their navy would have reloaded their guns (that were obviously all out at the same time, even the rotating machine gun turrets in the front) in all that time. While the gunship was a sitting duck in the middle of a battlefield against a threat as dangerous as Legion. Super believable story you got here. Checkmate, @Darknessvamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Wait, are you saying Mathias Shaw forgot to report that he had been abducted and replaced with Detheroc? He couldn't really report his own abduction until his later rescue, which happened well after the leveling content of Legion including the Stormheim incident with Greymane. Since Shaw also averted the brewing war between the Alliance and Horde (a result of Detheroc's influence in Stormwind), it has to be assumed he was quick to report the reality of the situation to the Alliance leaders.
    It has to be assumed? Why? The Alliance is foaming at the mouth about the great Broken Shore betrayal even in Before the Storm. Even a naive optimist like Anduin is unsure about that. And that's despite his agent in the Horde assuring him that no betrayal took place. To the point he blurted the accusation out loud, right to Sylvanas' face in the middle of his diplomatic attempt.

Then again, in Shaw's defense, the "Shaw" that was pushing Anduin for war against the Horde and was painting them in the worst light possible has been exposed and dealt with right in the middle of his capital and that still didn't light any light bulbs for him and other Alliance members. So maybe the real Shaw did make his report and it's just that everyone in the Alliance is such a fucking idiot that it didn't even register with them.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-06-24 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Alleria. An arrogant cunt who thinks she's special just because of her void powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    Useless character:
    Mordent Evenshade. What is this guy's purpose, other than being a minor side character to Tyrande, Malfurion, Maiev, Shandris, Jarod, the Worgen, the Gilneans and basically every other Alliance "leader."
    Mordent Evenshade's purpose was to create the endless barrage of threads demanding Night Elves to be more magic oriented than the Nightborne and Blood Elves combined that plague MMO-C to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I reread them both to make sure I remembered them correctly, I had. You are wrong I'm afraid

- - - Updated - - -

Luckily our mains don't really exist
    Give me quotes from these battles, please

here's some useless characters:

;asjdfadopiuqjl;kwejkj;a;
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

To be honest, as much as it hurts to say it, Rexxar's been pretty useless in all of WoW. I didn't play the RTS games, but in WoW, yeah, what's he done but stand around looking cool, resting on his laurels? I know he had an NPC role in BfA and I remember him sending me on quests, but that's small time as well, certainly smaller than any role a character has had in OP's list.

I knew night elf mages were a mistake.