Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why the hate for Nathanos?

I'm seeing a lot of hate for the character, but I don't really understand it.

Some say he's grown to powerful for no reason. How has he grown in power since his inception as a world boss in Vanilla WoW? He got a pretty new face, but I don't really see any power growth.

Some say his character depth is too shallow. I think he's the perfect henchman. He's not a main character, so why would they put more emphasis than needed on him? He is Jorah Mormont (Simp, great fighter, snarky asshole to anyone but his lady). But this is just my opinion. Story writing, I don't think he has done anything out of character.

He's a self insert. Well so is Thrall, and most people loved him from WC3 up until he kill stealed. That and how much is Nathanos really like Steve, I doubt very much at all. And aren't these tweets fairly new? Today is the first time I'm even hearing about this......seems like you really had to dig for something outside of the game to justify your distaste for a character.

He talks too damn much with WQ. Big True, get addons to shut that up though.

So can anyone explain to me how he is a bad character THAT IS NOT based on pure opinion? Let's see some facts boys.
    Last edited by Sinfelle; 2020-06-24 at 03:45 PM.

Have you stopped to listen Nathanos even for a single line of dialogue?

Because he's the ultimate wow simp

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    While all of this is true. He was established as the "Champion of the Banshee Queen" way back in vanilla. That title at the very least was before all of this stuff.

Not that it makes it any less cringey, but...well yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

This man really compared Nathanos to Jorah Mormont. The only thing they got in common is that they simped for a hot queen. That's it.

Nathanos is matthias shaw but on the horde.

I'd even argue that nathanos is written better than 90% of the alliance faction leaders; including MANduin

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of hate for the character, but I don't really understand it.

Some say he's grown to powerful for no reason. How has he grown in power since his inception as a world boss in Vanilla WoW? He got a pretty new face, but I don't really see any power growth.

Some say his character depth is too shallow. I think he's the perfect henchman. He's not a main character, so why would they put more emphasis than needed on him? He is Jorah Mormont. But this is just my opinion. Story writing, I don't think he has done anything out of character.

He talks to damn much with WQ. Big True, get addons to shut that up though.

So can anyone explain to me how he is a bad character THAT IS NOT based on pure opinion? Let's see some facts boys.
    (head)cannonically or "RP wise" - I hate him because I (my character) did more for the Banshee Queen than he ever did and he always seemed to get the rewards for my efforts.

Outside of RP-land I don't hate him. I put blinders over all of the Danuser stuff which is why I don't hate him. Most people seem to hate Danuser and therefore by extension, hate Nathanos. Since he (I guess) took over Nathanos and turned him into his own self insert character.
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

People like to be cuddled. Nathanos just uses us as a Tool. I always liked him. A bit mysterious and snarky.

The moment a character shows some kind of initiative or gets a bit of spotlight without being killed immediately people hate that character.

Anduin, Jaina, Sylvannas, Talanji, Nathanos, Baine, Calia

Also because it looks up to a women and follows her. That makes him not "worthy" for many. Look at comment above

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    No one hates Thrall when Metzen self inserts (besides kill stealing), so why now with Steve? I doubt Steve is an evil simp IRL, so to what degree is this actually a self insert?

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    This man really compared Nathanos to Jorah Mormont. The only thing they got in common is that they simped for a hot queen. That's it.
    Actually...now that I think about it? He's really not THAT far off from book Jorah. HBO Jorah is WAY more "Knightly" than book Jorah is. Book Jorahs an asshole, a creepy, handsy asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean he seems to hate our characters so why is it a problem if we hate him back?
    Lich King hated us......just like most villians. But we love most of the villians #garroshdidnothingwrong

No one hates Thrall when Metzen self inserts (besides kill stealing), so why now with Steve? I doubt Steve is an evil simp IRL, so to what degree is this actually a self insert?
    If Metzen had turned thrall from a random forsaken champion into the fuckbuddy of the warchief and tweeted like he was the character, yeah I'd hate Thrall and him.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's because Danusers self insert is romantically involved with Sylvanas while Metzens is not about romancing a character? Maybe they're angry that a character is with sylvanas? Maybe they just hate SYlvanas too much to be okay with anything remotely involved with her? take your pick /shrug.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind Nathanos. Him being a snarky trash talker to the players is a nice change of pace. What ruined him is him being a simp for Sylvanas. It would have been a good opportunity to develop his character further by having him stay with the Horde instead of being a Sylvanas loyalist.

Edit: I don't mind the self insert. Some of my characters are self inserts, and if given the opportunity I'd put them in the game too.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    While also true, it's not just that he's basically a self insert gone horribly wrong.

Nathanos was never a likable character. His sudden rise to prominence in Legion and BfA is due purely to Sylvanas' rise and fall - And to no one's surprise, he is used for exactly that, then made a world boss to be pummelled by literally everyone. He's not just a self-insert - He's a self-insert with no personality. The guy compared himself to a dude they forgot to write as an actual character, they just made him simp super hard over Sylvanas and that's all there is to him.

The cringey part of the Danuser comparison is not so much that he thinks of himself as Nathanos - But that he thinks of himself as one of the blandest, simp-est characters in game. Dude basically admit that if a hot piece of ass gave him the time of day, he'd help her commit genocide.
    True, but that's just reason to dislike Danuser; not Nathanos no?

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    True, but that's just reason to dislike Danuser; not Nathanos no?
    Nathanos being the number one useless asshole of Azeroth doesn't help his case.

because some angry nerd found some jokes on the danuser twitter and thought/twisted them as the character is his self-insert

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    If Metzen had turned thrall from a random forsaken champion into the fuckbuddy of the warchief and tweeted like he was the character, yeah I'd hate Thrall and him.
    aren't these tweets fairly new? Today is the first time I'm even hearing about this......seems like you really had to dig for something outside of the game to justify your distaste for a character.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Because he "I grew tired of this" out of every god damn fucking single encounter he's supposed to die in... As if he was a writers self insert with plot armor with thickness second only to Suevanas

We got a questline that was supposed to make Night Elves badasses like they used to be when writers knew about them, we had tyrande undergo a deadly ritual to get herself a power of a godess

only to be stopped by ̶D̶a̶n̶u̶s̶e̶r̶Nathanos...

What was supposed to make them less pathetic, made them even more so just because of one single undead human...