Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    “You will learn the value of silence, or I will teach it to you.”

So exactly why is it that people hate Nathanos, other than those same people clearly lacking any ability to understand character dynamics or any literary knowledge whatsoever?
    Ever since Blightcaller took up a leading role in the narrative, he's become annoying. Before, Nathanos had the old forsaken model, he looked threatening and the whole "I serve the Banshee Queen and will slaughter anyone who causes her trouble" personality was a nice change from the ol' "Boohoo I'm undead what a curse this is" Forsaken thing.

Now? Aside from his "I'm a member of the pretty elite of undead who barely looks undead anymore" nothing about him has changed. And with Blightcaller constantly shoved in our face and always insulting everyone but his pretty warchief, it gets old real fast.

The only reason he's important now is because he's Sylvanas's boytoy who she's sharing power with, not to mention the current self-insert of a lead writer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! I thought that whole point was just being lost on everyone else. People seem to think that if a character they don't like is in the story, that "oh they're being portrayed terribly and should be killed off! How dare they keep that person in still!" First character that pops to mind is Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter. She was a wonderful villain to just completely loathe and hate.

With Nathanos, he will always look down on you regardless of whatever achievements you may have accomplished.

- - - Updated - - -

"Hey guys, so we need to progress the story and it's clear that Nathanos is a major culprit in pushing the story to Shadowlands, what should we do for him in game to help push the story?"

"No guys, don't add him in. Some idiots will think he's a self insert and whine about how he should magically disappear in the story even though it makes no sense. Just forget he ever happened like the Vindicaar and I'm sure the fanbase will completely understand!"
    Oh dear. Now people are idiots for having a differing opinion? I see you don't really have an argument, but resorting to insulting people this fast? That's sad.
    Last edited by Dead Moose Fandango; 2020-06-24 at 02:54 PM.

"No guys, don't add him in. Some idiots will think he's a self-insert and whine about how he should magically disappear in the story even though it makes no sense. Just forget he ever happened like the Vindicaar and I'm sure the fanbase will completely understand!"
    That has nothing to do with anything, you are being intentionally (or perhaps unintentionally) obtuse. People are ridiculing the perceived bias of Steve Betauser for making his self-insert a world boss that does something at 10% presumably to escape.

Further have you ever heard of the concept of overexposure? He was a complete nobody for 13 years who suddenly: 1. Got a short story where he gets a new body 2. Was a major character in the Pre BFA books 3. Was major character in BFA 4. Appears to be a world boss in the pre-patch 5. Will be a major character in the pre-SL novel and 6 Will be a major character in SL.
    The only character more overexposed at this point is Sylvanas (who is incidentally Betauser's self-insert's in-universe waifu, what a coincidence!)

As for the bolded section of your post
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LostSinclair View Post
    Oh yeah I had been wondering what was going to happen to him during this new world boss event since apparently he's also in a dungeon in shadowlands. Hope the cutscene builds up some hype.
    He's not in any of the dungeons in Shadowlands. I would recommend editing your comment as to not spread misinformation to a fan base that is easily riled up over the smallest things.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Snip.
    Exactly. I'm not saying stop using Blightcaller. Just maybe tone it down a tad bit.

Quote Originally Posted by h8ryan View Post
    He was a world boss in Vanilla, you needed a raid to kill him before he got enhanced so why wouldn't that still be true today?

You not liking the character isn't evidence that he has no right to be powerful, he is an immortal ranger lord, why should your LFR geared toons be able to solo him?
    I really don't care about the character. As Alliance I see him in one or two cutscenes. One where he is on a boat, and one where he gets his ass beaten and flees.
    But I don't like the very real possiblity, that the lead writer of WoW, the person supervising the current development of Warcraft lore, identifies himself ingame as the loyal servant to a mass murdering dictator and writes the story in such a way, that his persona gets more and more empowered. That's fanfiction material, not really worthy of warcraft's lore. I don't like a writer that creates (or rather developes) such a character to be in charge, because I don't trust him to deliver good, cohesive stories.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-06-24 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I really don't care about the character. As Alliance I see him in one or two cutscenes. One where he is on a boat, and one where he gets his ass beaten and flees.
    But I don't like the very real possiblity, that the lead writer of WoW, the person supervising the current development of Warcraft lore, identifies himself ingame as the loyal servant to a mass murdering dictator and writes the story in such a way, that his persona gets more and more empowered. That's fanfiction material, not really worthy of warcraft's lore. I don't like a writer that creates (or rather developes) such a character to be in charge, because I don't trust him to deliver good, cohesive stories.
    I think I hate him so much because every other WQ for Horde is from his stupid mouth. Kinda sick of the jerk.

Could you give some examples of how he's grown more powerful? Pretty sure he's been about the same since his inception as a world boss. Got a pretty new face, but that's about it as far as I know.

I guess you were not paying attention for a long time if you only start to notice shit like this now. Alliance for example is riddled with characters like him.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    can't wait to see what's going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    That has nothing to do with anything, you are being intentionally (or perhaps unintentionally) obtuse. People are ridiculing the perceived bias of Steve Betauser for making his self-insert a world boss that does something at 10% presumably to escape.

Further have you ever heard of the concept of overexposure? He was a complete nobody for 13 years who suddenly: 1. Got a short story where he gets a new body 2. Was a major character in the Pre BFA books 3. Was major character in BFA 4. Appears to be a world boss in the pre-patch 5. Will be a major character in the pre-SL novel and 6 Will be a major character in SL.
    The only character more overexposed at this point is Sylvanas (who is incidentally Betauser's self-insert's in-universe waifu, what a coincidence!)

As for the bolded section of your post
    LOL I'm the one being obtuse and you posted that drivel? Oh, you're rich. The fact that you think that is even remotely true just shows that any attempt at educating you is clearly a fruitless effort. I better not post 2-3 things about Sylvanas in my entire career otherwise people will think I'm a self insert too! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Ever since Blightcaller took up a leading role in the narrative, he's become annoying. Before, Nathanos had the old forsaken model, he looked threatening and the whole "I serve the Banshee Queen and will slaughter anyone who causes her trouble" personality was a nice change from the ol' "Boohoo I'm undead what a curse this is" Forsaken thing.

Now? Aside from his "I'm a member of the pretty elite of undead who barely looks undead anymore" nothing about him has changed. And with Blightcaller constantly shoved in our face and always insulting everyone but his pretty warchief, it gets old real fast.

The only reason he's important now is because he's Sylvanas's boytoy who she's sharing power with, not to mention the current self-insert of a lead writer.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear. Now people are idiots for having a differing opinion? I see you don't really have an argument, but resorting to insulting people this fast? That's sad.
    "Why are you calling me an idiot?! All I'm saying is that the earth is actually donut shaped! People are allowed to have differing opinions!"

No, you're not entitled to your opinion. You're only entitled to what you're able to argue against. The fact is that people hating on Nathanos don't have a valid argument to hate on him. Burden of proof lies upon you to make a case for your point but considering people think that he is a self-insert (or that Blizzard would allow that) is the same as people trying to claim the Earth is flat because "there's no curvature dude!"
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Jesus.. so not only was a fucking ranger for some reason elevated to a worldboss, akin to giant monsters often of ages past, no, he will most likely also not die..?!

There is having a self-insert and then there is felating one self in public with world wide live coverage.
    He was a raid quest in Vanilla/Classic, he faked his death there too.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

"Why are you calling me an idiot?! All I'm saying is that the earth is actually donut shaped! People are allowed to have differing opinions!"

No, you're not entitled to your opinion. You're only entitled to what you're able to argue against. The fact is that people hating on Nathanos don't have a valid argument to hate on him. Burden of proof lies upon you to make a case for your point but considering people think that he is a self-insert (or that Blizzard would allow that) is the same as people trying to claim the Earth is flat because "there's no curvature dude!"
    Nice strawman. No, people are entitled to an opinion. No one's arguing something like "Blightcaller is an undead elf, not an undead human." They're arguing whether he's badly written or not.

You're taking it so personal and calling people idiots for not liking a character you like.

I dont care about the novels release date, i need the expansions release date, so I know what week to take off

Oh look! Another shit novel people will have to read to get a lot of the story that should be part of the game's narrative! Just what I wanted.

I've seen people share that image a lot, but have you actually looked at his twitter? He does this with a lot of characters, not just Nathanos.
    I don't like him as a writer, but atleast fact-check your stuff instead of spreading what you read online.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    Could you give some examples of how he's grown more powerful? Pretty sure he's been about the same since his inception as a world boss. Got a pretty new face, but that's about it as far as I know.
    Maybe empowered was not the right word. "Flawless" (in the sense of having no weakness) might be more fitting. In vanilla he was at least killable...
    And he was infact not a Worldboss. Just an Elite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I guess you were not paying attention for a long time if you only start to notice shit like this now. Alliance for example is riddled with characters like him.
    Okay? Which character of the Alliance had no character arc and is the insert of one of the writers? And how does that counter my point that this kind of writing is pretty unproffessional?
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-06-24 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    This poor franchise. At least let it die with dignity, you monsters.

Metzen is turning in his bed right now.
    To be fair.. Metzen created the "one who shall not be named" in that comic...

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    "Hey guys, so we need to progress the story and it's clear that Nathanos is a major culprit in pushing the story to Shadowlands, what should we do for him in game to help push the story?"

"No guys, don't add him in. Some idiots will think he's a self insert and whine about how he should magically disappear in the story even though it makes no sense. Just forget he ever happened like the Vindicaar and I'm sure the fanbase will completely understand!"
    Not even in political discussions have I seen a person so absurdly misrepresent another's post like this. That is nowhere near anything I said.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    To be fair.. Metzen created the "one who shall not be named" in that comic...
    Oh Lord, you are right. I had completely erased that out of my mind and memories.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Oh great... he's gonna scurry away again ain't he?! Slippery is an understatement.

We better kill him and Sylvanas on Shadowlands. This is beyond boring at this point.

@Saltysquidoon can you show me on the doll where Danhauser hurt you? feels like you have a personal gripe with the guy and you're projecting it onto a set of pixels because you take issue with something. I hope you don't root for Jon Snow at all throughout Game of Thrones, he couldve been GRRM's self-insert