Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    ???

What does "filler GCD" even mean? This is Samurai. You will ALWAYS be pressing the next button in your rotation.

Are you talking about your rage dump? That is what Hissatsu: Shinten is for.
    Nevermind, I found it. It's the additional post-loop Combo point you convert into Kenki via Hagakure to line up your cooldowns better and gain extra overall potency.

It depends on how much SkS you have.

<1300 you use 1 yukikaze (2 GCD filler)
    >1300 to <1700 you use either of the 3-GCD combo point generators (3 GCD filler)
    >1700 you use 2 Yukikaze (4 GCD filler)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-06-12 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Nevermind, I found it. It's the additional post-loop Combo point you convert into Kenki via Hagakure to line up your cooldowns better and gain extra overall potency.

It depends on how much SkS you have.

<1300 you use 1 yukikaze (2 GCD filler)
    >1300 to <1700 you use either of the 3-GCD combo point generators (3 GCD filler)
    >1700 you use 2 Yukikaze (4 GCD filler)
    Exactly this. I would urge though to think less about skill speed (although that's useful to figure out which one you should be doing baseline) and figuring out time left until your next Higanbana/Tsubame-Gaeshi and where you are typically at when you enter the post-loop phase. If you have to lose some GCD in the rotation due to time off target/mechanics, you can glance over and think "Oh I'm about X seconds behind" and adjust to smaller combos or nixing the post-loop altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello there o/,

I'm slightly hijacking OP's thread, as I'm also a WoW player looking to try out FFXIV and I didn't want to create another thread. But I have a few other questions in addition to those discussed above:
    - How do language regions work (for both the client and the servers)? I live in France but I prefer playing on English-speaking servers and with an English-speaking game client. Is this doable in FFXIV?
    - How do the worlds/servers work? Is it dynamic or permanent? I would like to protect myself from rolling on an empty world with no other players to party with.

Thanks in advance!
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Hello there o/,

I'm slightly hijacking OP's thread, as I'm also a WoW player looking to try out FFXIV and I didn't want to create another thread. But I have a few other questions in addition to those discussed above:
    - How do language regions work (for both the client and the servers)? I live in France but I prefer playing on English-speaking servers and with an English-speaking game client. Is this doable in FFXIV?
    - How do the worlds/servers work? Is it dynamic or permanent? I would like to protect myself from rolling on an empty world with no other players to party with.

Thanks in advance!
    There are no language-specific realms, you can play with french client on any server. Realms don't really matter that much on their own, you are free to travel to any other realm within data center (I think it even allows you to use AH, guilds are probably the only server specific thing right now). There are two data centers currently in EU.
    Last edited by Rogalicus; 2020-06-13 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    You can join any server in any data center in any region you wish, there's no region-locking as far as I know.

Servers are grouped by Data Centers, and Data Centers are divided by the Regions they are located in. Regions only indicate the time zone which dictates when restarts happen. Data Centers are groups of Servers where players can interact with each other. The server you create your character on will be your Home Server and then you can visit any other Server in your Data Center at any point from one of the main cities. There are a few things that can only be done in your Home Server though, like using retainers (bank system). I believe you can join Free Companies (Guilds) from any server in your Data Center.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your replies Rogalicus & Hyral.
    Installed the game yesterday, enjoying it so far
    MMO player

There is a setting in Duty Finder which associates match-making with language. For example, you can match-make with only English, only JP, or both. Make sure that is set to whatever you are comfortable with. For example, if you select English-only, but play on a JP realm, you're going to have extremely long queue times.

I think by default it restricts you to the language of your client, which is something you probably don't want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    There is a setting in Duty Finder which associates match-making with language. For example, you can match-make with only English, only JP, or both. Make sure that is set to whatever you are comfortable with. For example, if you select English-only, but play on a JP realm, you're going to have extremely long queue times.

I think by default it restricts you to the language of your client, which is something you probably don't want.
    I selected EU/UK during installation and somehow it was enough to install everything in English. Which is fine by me
    MMO player

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    So my title isn't entirely true. When FFXIV relaunched I did go out and buy it the weekend it came out (had to hunt for like an hour to find a store that sold it...) but only played a little bit before I decided to just stick with WoW for various reasons I've forgotten over the years. I've kept hearing really really good things about it though and it's piqued my interest to maybe give it another shot. So a few questions:

1) I know it has the Job system, so you can theoretically play any class by swapping. Is this expected or is it a choice? What i mean is I normally play warrior/paladin/tanky types. Am I expected to also (eventually of course) level another job so I can switch to something else if needed? I suppose it can't hurt but I think you get what I mean. Also, I vaguely recall when I played at launch that you had to like skip some of the really basic side quests in your starting area (a lot of the "Go to the other side of town and get X for me" quests that didnt involve any combat) and things to leave them for swapping jobs so you didn't have to just grind XP on mobs if/when you changed jobs. Is that still the case? I also recall that you wanted to do some jobs earlier so you got some extra abilities, I recall on my Gladiator that I got some levels of Marauder to use an ability from it.

2) You still have to go through dungeons to progress the story right? I remember that I had to do some underwater cave dungeon before I could progress, and when I stopped playing I was at the point of needing to do another dungeon before I could get the next quest. At the time this scared me off a bit because I was playing a tank class and figured the community would have been like WoW and I'd get shit for not knowing the way through or stuff like that.

3) They've added extra classes right? I saw they added Dark Knight (I loved pre-paladin Cecil in FF IV), but it's like WoW's DK in that you have to hit a certain level to unlock it and it's "hero" class?

4) I've read a lot mostly about how the community is much nicer. So I wouldn't have to worry if I was like hey I'm new, I haven't done this dungeon before/I haven't tanked in a few years and people would actually help and not just be rude and expect I have things memorized already or the old "go watch a video before you do it"

5) How's the actual gameplay? The videos I've seen look incredibly flashy with tons of effects going on the screen. What about abilities? Does it have ability bloat like (IMHO) SWTOR where you have like three dozen buttons, or like WoW where you have like a dozen or so? Like how complicated is the gameplay for clases (probably differs by class I'd guess)?

Lastly, any suggestions on class? Last time I played I believe I was doing a Gladiator because they could advance job to Paladin. I also liked the Marauder look, and I recall Dragoon from the old days too (Kain was another favorite from FF IV). What are the classes you need to unlock later and what are they like? I plan to read up a bit more on it before making a decision but it's often easier to ask for a rundown.
    1. There is no reason to level up another job unless you want to. It used to serve a purpose but now its more or less useless to do so.

2. Yeah, asses will be asses. Simple rules for dungeons, don't stand in shit, stack when needed, and use common sense. These rules will keep you alive.

3. Yeah they have other jobs. most of them would will need to level a bit before starting out. This aspect of the game is a bloody mess. It used to be to be paladin you had to level gladiator and conjurer. While doing so you got some abilities from both jobs. But then they scrapped the share abilities.

4. The community is nice when crafting, role playing, running around. In dungeons its fairly toxic. Most people expect tanks to pull from wall to wall then wall to wall again. Some people don't like that, some will pull for you, and some will leave. Just set the tone at the start of the dungeon and let it be.

5. Gameplay is meh. It has ability bloat like a mother fucker. Its like someone at soe is like hey we need an ability to snap your fingers, then another guy is like yeah we should make an ability that cause you to stare. Instead of combining those two abilities they make it all single actions. I think i am going to suffer from lots of nerve damage when I am older. The game is pretty.