Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    from my understanding this is the noose (several sites had it but this was the best picture I could find so far).
    difficult to tell from the picture but that looks like a double half hitch, a commonly used knot, which to the untrained eye can look similar to a noose. a true noose has much more layers to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    No, they lied. Nascar did not fabricate a story like the NYPD did. Are you that dense?
    I think you are both made a bigger story out of something that was not (and both has a hint of truth to them) a looped rope and a tainted shake but both were blown out of scope, you're just to bias to see...

I think you're missing the point both cases they jump all over it
    Except Nascar and Wallace didn't? At all.

So, your argument is it wasn't a big noose so Nascar should have ignored it?
    Hmm where did you read i said ignore it. Case in point, their own video camera told them what it was. Just like trying to look for your key before calling the police for thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It was a noose - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bubba-w...ime-committed/

There is no reason to create a knot that looks like a noose for any practical purpose. Following the investigation there's no evidence to suggest it was intentionally made to intimidate anyone or with any knowledge that Wallace would use that garage, but it's still a noose. I legit cannot think of any practical application for a noose in this instance that wouldn't be better handled by dozens of other knots that would be equally as effective and less time consuming to tie.
    again try pulling down something with a noose and let me know how that goes.... (they also said it was planted in his stall when it was long since there, no lying there)....

I think you are both made a bigger story out of something that was not (and both has a hint of truth to them) a looped rope and a tainted shake but both were blown out of scope, you're just to bias to see...
    Haha I'm the bias one?

Except Nascar and Wallace didn't? At all.
    In a pre-race media teleconference Monday, NASCAR President Steve Phelps said the joint NASCAR / FBI investigation doesn't yet have a lot of answers about what he calls the "very, very serious act" of planting the noose in Wallace's garage.

Planted how many months ago before he was even using that stall (time travelers huh)

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I'm the bias one?
    oh ya if you can't see how close they are to each-other... no doubt at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Hmm where did you read i said ignore it. Case in point, their own video camera told them what it was. Just like trying to look for your key before calling the police for thief.
    *I have doubts it was a normally tied noose would suck to get your hand stuck every time you pulled the door shut...

Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    difficult to tell from the picture but that looks like a double half hitch, a commonly used knot, which to the untrained eye can look similar to a noose. a true noose has much more layers to it.
    https://koel-magazine.com/blogs/macr...ble-half-hitch

Not even close.

In a pre-race media teleconference Monday, NASCAR President Steve Phelps said the joint NASCAR / FBI investigation doesn't yet have a lot of answers about what he calls the "very, very serious act" of planting the noose in Wallace's garage.

Planted how many months ago before he was even using that stall (time travelers huh)
    Because he didn't say it was planted, notice how that's outside the quotes, that's editorializing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/22/nasc...-for-life.html

In a call with reporters, Phelps went over some of the details of the incident, adding that the Birmingham FBI had been notified and were on site investigating.

“This is a difficult time for our sport, but we are going to react swiftly and again we’re going to use all the means, resources at our disposal and of those of the FBI to make sure this person or persons are caught and dealt with swiftly and severely,” Phelps said.

“This is a very serious act, and we take it such. We will do everything in our power that whoever did this comes to light,” Phelps added.
    They were wrong, in hindsight, to think it was recent. But they were taking the cautious approach of preparing for the worst. In comparison to the Shake Shack incident, nobody and no organization was named and ascribed motive.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    A noose would actually not only be the non-optimal knot, but it would be a shit knot in general as opposed to very general knots. The whole point of the noose is to constrict when downward pressure (opposite the knot) is put on it. And as you can see from the two pictures in this thread, that's what happened: the picture from October 2019 looks like a more traditional noose, while the later picture looks like.....well, a noose which has been pulled on. Pulling on that handle would make the circle small enough to fit whatever was pulling it, in this case a hand.

I was a boy scout as well, and the knot we learned for this kind of thing is the slip knot. It looks entirely different from a noose. That doesn't change the fact that neither a slip knot nor a noose would be useful for a door pull.
    That's why I think it may have just been a bowline, with the added loops wrapped around to make it easier to grip. It could simply look like a noose, when it's something different.

A slip knot wouldn't be ideal for this, because that knot needs to serve two purposes, being grabbed to lift and close the door, and being able to be easily tied to a hook to prevent the door from opening/closing. A noose is largely useless for almost everything, other than appearance, and for killing something. That's why I'm fairly certain that there was no "slip" to this knot in the pictures, and would not technically be a noose. So, it's either meant to look like a noose for no good reason, or they simply wrapped more rope around a different knot, so that it's easier to grab when pulling up and down. In the end, I doubt it was nefarious, and was just a means to fulfill a task.

That being said, it looks like a noose, and certainly warranted scrutiny.

Not even close.

Because he didn't say it was planted, notice how that's outside the quotes, that's editorializing.

there's a difference between decorative macrame and a thick rope knot.
    the most common use is to make loops, and it doesn't slide. makes sense in the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's why I think it may have just been a bowline, with the added loops wrapped around to make it easier to grip. It could simply look like a noose, when it's something different.

A slip knot wouldn't be ideal for this, because that knot needs to serve two purposes, being grabbed to lift and close the door, and being able to be easily tied to a hook to prevent the door from opening/closing. A noose is largely useless for almost everything, other than appearance, and for killing something. That's why I'm fairly certain that there was no "slip" to this knot in the pictures, and would not technically be a noose. So, it's either meant to look like a noose for no good reason, or they simply wrapped more rope around a different knot, so that it's easier to grab when pulling up and down. In the end, I doubt it was nefarious, and was just a means to fulfill a task.

That being said, it looks like a noose, and certainly warranted scrutiny.
    It's clearly some sort of sliding knot. You can see that from the two images in the thread. The first picture is from October 2019, from when the knot was supposedly made. There are much simpler, well known knots which don't slip which could have been used as a handle......they weren't:

Not even close.

They were wrong, in hindsight, to think it was recent. But they were taking the cautious approach of preparing for the worst. In comparison to the Shake Shack incident, nobody and no organization was named and ascribed motive.
    Did the 3 cops come out and scream about it first or someone else on their behalf jump the panic wagon on the "attack" ... like Nascar did for the driver.

ya and the cops didn't have any reason to think someone might poison them right, sure there was no reason for them being over cautious?

- - - Updated - - -

It's clearly some sort of sliding knot. You can see that from the two images in the thread. The first picture is from October 2019, from when the knot was supposedly made. There are much simpler, well known knots which don't slip which could have been used as a handle......they weren't:

You sure those are the same ropes and knots, maybe just a bad pic but not seeing the door in the 1st one that is next to in in the 2nd one..
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2020-06-24 at 09:03 PM.

If you look at the bottom picture, it looks like two separate knots You have the standard knot which makes the loop, than about and inch and a half above it, you have the "tie a lot" knot.

At first, I thought it would be connected to a pulley, at the top, but upon looking at it, that's probably not the case, and is just a straight connect to the door. That means when you pull it down, you will have a lot of rope just lying on the ground (or tied off on a hook). if it were on a pulley, then it would have to be a 2:1 or even 3:1 to justify it's height and position.

In the end, I'm not one to think there was anything nefarious about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    no it was a door puller that looked like a noose, unless someone got hung in it? (and I also doubt it was a normally tied noose or it would have closed in on itself when you pulled the door shut with it.)
    A noose is a type of knot.

You don't need to actually hang someone for it to be labelled as such. If it looks like a noose, it's a noose.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Genuinely, I'm not trolling - this is a sincere question: I get hanging bacon, but why would you hang a big bottle of wine?
    Fill em up in those 10/15 litre bottles when you need to make space in your barrels for a new batch. We need the ground in his basement for other stuff
    I love making wine and bacon with that old dude, bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

You don't need to actually hang someone for it to be labelled as such. If it looks like a noose, it's a noose.
    it's a sliding knot too, would seem to be a poor choose to use for using as a pull down for a door too.

(so if I have a lighter that looks like a bullet it must be a bullet too huh?) *any top gear fans will know what I'm talking about...

*and if those are two different Doors\ropes in the last post I answered that knot may be more in use than stated...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    there's a difference between decorative macrame and a thick rope knot.
    the most common use is to make loops, and it doesn't slide. makes sense in the context.
    I'm not sure you've ever tied a half-hitch.

It doesn't create a freestanding loop. It's used to tie a rope to something, as your image shows. You basically need the tension on the rope for the knot to set. It's a great knot to use if you're going to pull a rope tight and tie it off to a pole or something, but you wouldn't use it to create an open loop.

Also, it absolutely would slip, if you did. The side of the knot holding the tension is straight, and the hitches are tied around that tensed line; it has a free slide through the hitches. You're usually tying this when there's constant tension, so it doesn't matter; it's pre-slipped to as far as it can slip. And without the tension, the half-hitches won't hold in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

maybe in general parlance, but in the context of hate symbols, no.
    i am a sailor and during my training there were people who got in trouble for specifically tying nooses, even as we learned various loop shaped knots.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a sliding knot too, would seem to be a poor choose to use for using as a pull down for a door too.

(so if I have a lighter that looks like a bullet it must be a bullet too huh?) *any top gear fans will know what I'm talking about...

*and if those are two different Doors\ropes in the last post I answered that knot may be more in use than stated...
    Right, a proper noose is a sliding knot, so either;

1> It's not a proper noose, just made to look like a noose, meaning it's even more a deliberate choice rather than just only knowing one moderately complex knot and no simpler, better ones. Or;
    2> It's a proper noose knot, and slippy, meaning it's totally useless as a pull loop, and its entire purpose is aesthetic. Which . . . yeah.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh it wasn’t a hate crime, just some people jumping the gun on something minor