Poll: Should multiboxing be allowed?

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Let's see, should third party software that majorly impacts how the game is being played and arguably gives a big edge in pvp and pve be allowed?

Well no. Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Let's see, should third party software that majorly impacts how the game is being played and arguably gives a big edge in pvp and pve be allowed?
    Where's the pve edge?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    The same argument can be made about bots. You can do things manually, or you can streamline the process and create a bot.

oh and It's fine to not like it, totally fine actually, but after 15+ years in this game and several more years in MMOs in general it isn't going anywhere lol - even if its bannable.

Kinda need better arguments mate
    No you absolutely cannot make the same argument for bots. Bots don't require interaction and the break the automation rule. Multiboxing doesn't. Every single action that you're doing while multiboxing is something that you're controlling and pressing buttons for. Botting and multiboxing are nothing alike. I think you thought you had a salient point there, but you didn't, your argument didn't make any sense. You're right that botting will always be there and that the game industry will always be playing catchup with botting, but yeah that's bannable. Multiboxing isn't. Multiboxing isn't against the rules no matter how much people who don't understand multiboxing want it to be.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    No you absolutely cannot make the same argument for bots. Bots don't require interaction and the break the automation rule. Multiboxing doesn't. Every single action that you're doing while multiboxing is something that you're controlling and pressing buttons for. Botting and multiboxing are nothing alike. I think you thought you had a salient point there, but you didn't, your argument didn't make any sense. You're right that botting will always be there and that the game industry will always be playing catchup with botting, but yeah that's bannable. Multiboxing isn't. Multiboxing isn't against the rules no matter how much people who don't understand multiboxing want it to be.
    But you can make the same argument, it was made and you didn't counter it. Here, try again. You can do things manually, or you can streamline the process and create a bot. See, it fits!

Multiboxin doesn't break the rules that Blizzard has yet (atleast on wide enough scale that they would specify the rules further), that is pretty much the only part of your post that is correct. Other bits, such as the every action part, is not if you're using a multiboxing program because then your one action actually does X actions (X = number of clients). There are plenty of things that are alike with Botting and Multiboxing, such as increased gains when herbing and faster gold / xp / whatever you want (when measured in time actually played)

But you can make the same argument, it was made and you didn't counter it. Here, try again. You can do things manually, or you can streamline the process and create a bot. See, it fits!

Multiboxin doesn't break the rules that Blizzard has yet (atleast on wide enough scale that they would specify the rules further), that is pretty much the only part of your post that is correct. Other bits, such as the every action part, is not if you're using a multiboxing program because then your one action actually does X actions (X = number of clients). There are plenty of things that are alike with Botting and Multiboxing, such as increased gains when herbing and faster gold / xp / whatever you want (when measured in time actually played)
    There is no such rule as actions per keypress. What isn't allowed is: making action without any keypress. And more actions than one with a single keypress per client.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    There is no such rule as actions per keypress. What isn't allowed is: making action without any keypress. And more actions than one with a single keypress per client.
    I know, thats what I've said. But thanks for understanding it too!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure you know what you're even trying to argue, but whatever it is you're not making a coherent argument here. Botting is quite clearly against the rules. You're either botting or you're not. There's no grey area there. Botting is automation. Multiboxing is never breaking the 1 press = 1 action rule. It doesn't matter if it's 1 client or 80 clients it's still 1 action per client per press. You could do the same thing with a purely hardware solution. If you don't like it take it up with Blizzard who have been fine with it for 15+ years now, or any other MMO dev that's been fine with it since the beginning of MMOs. Conflating botting with multiboxing shows a massive misunderstanding of both.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I'm not sure you know what you're even trying to argue, but whatever it is you're not making a coherent argument here. Botting is quite clearly against the rules. You're either botting or you're not. There's no grey area there. Botting is automation. Multiboxing is never breaking the 1 press = 1 action rule. It doesn't matter if it's 1 client or 80 clients it's still 1 action per client per press. You could do the same thing with a purely hardware solution. If you don't like it take it up with Blizzard who have been fine with it for 15+ years now, or any other MMO dev that's been fine with it since the beginning of MMOs. Conflating botting with multiboxing shows a massive misunderstanding of both.
    The biggest difference between Multiboxing and Botting is that word "automation" (aka continuous action with just starting a program), however one can make a very bot-like setup that will behave in similar way - you just need clever enough input, since thanks to multiboxing it is allowed to send inputs through programs as long as you actually do the action yourself.
    And that is where a problem can (and probably will) arise in the future.

Then there are all the economy aspects that multiboxing is ruining, the very same way botting does (and which is one of the reasons why botting is prohibited), though there are solutions (explained multiple times in this thread) to this particular problem that Blizzard can implement.

Whenever you're using a multiboxing program that sends keystrokes to multiple clients you ARE breaking the "1 press = 1 action" rule, which is a very different rule to "1 input per action per account"
    And yes, you could do the same with purely hardware solution by buying X amount of PC's to run the X amount of clients. How many would though?

Oh and yes, the great "don't like it, go to Blizzard" argument. Hey, I got an idea - Why don't you stop reading topics that ask for peoples opinions!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and yes, the great "don't like it, go to Blizzard" argument. Hey, I got an idea - Why don't you stop reading topics that ask for peoples opinions!
    Maybe stop flipping out when people dare have an opinion that doesn't agree with your opinion. OP asked for opinions, he didn't say 'I only want opinions that agree with me'. Even if you manage to convert every single MMOC poster to your opinion, its still not going to get you to where you want to go.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Whenever you're using a multiboxing program that sends keystrokes to multiple clients you ARE breaking the "1 press = 1 action" rule, which is a very different rule to "1 input per action per account"
    Blizzard has stated numerous times that they do not consider broadcasting a keypress to multiple clients to be automation, nor is it against the rules. On the contrary they repeatedly defended the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dark Knight View Post
    No, paying money to get an edge shouldn't be allowed
    Yet we are living in a capitalism system. Well, I assume you are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Has anything changed about multiboxing? It has been a thing since release. I see a boxer like once a year and it's never a problem. Why does it suddenly get so much attention now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Has anything changed about multiboxing? It has been a thing since release. I see a boxer like once a year and it's never a problem. Why does it suddenly get so much attention now?
    Because people have nothing else to focus on lol. $20 says everyone goes on to QQ about something new when SL is closer to launching.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    Going around for cheap frills from being a asshole that is not even benefiting their own faction is the kind of stuff I don't feel Blizzard let alone the multi-boxer community should not be condoning.
    Sounds like max level warmode ganking lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Maybe stop flipping out when people dare have an opinion that doesn't agree with your opinion. OP asked for opinions, he didn't say 'I only want opinions that agree with me'. Even if you manage to convert every single MMOC poster to your opinion, its still not going to get you to where you want to go.
    So let me get this straight, if I ask him not to use "Don't whine here, go to Blizzard" argument that makes me the one that "flips out" about other peoples opinions? Yeah, there is no logic there - at all.

I have actually been answering just fine, and only "flip outs" would be where I just ignore people when they claim things like "economically the following two scenarios are the same "out of a million people 1 has 1 million gold and the rest have nothing" and "out of a million people, everyone has 1 gold" because there is a total of million gold in the economy"
    Which, to me, just means that it's not worth answering to

So let me get this straight, if I ask him not to use "Don't whine here, go to Blizzard" argument that makes me the one that "flips out" about other peoples opinions? Yeah, there is no logic there - at all.

I have actually been answering just fine, and only "flip outs" would be where I just ignore people when they claim things like "economically the following two scenarios are the same "out of a million people 1 has 1 million gold and the rest have nothing" and "out of a million people, everyone has 1 gold" because there is a total of million gold in the economy"
    Probably because you seem to be obsessed with petty gotcha semantic arguments. If you want to say that you don't like that multiboxers have more market strength than you, then just say it. Does it do it for you to get people to jump through hoops just to satisfy your ego while gatekeeping what we can post in this thread and cant?

10+ Year Old Account

There has been plenty of hyperbole on both sides of this, and its been eminently clear since page one that there are people that dont understand, dont want to understand and just want to dig in on their side of the argument. No minds are being changed in this 'discussion'. Multiboxing is here to stay and nothing said in this thread will change it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Honestly not my exoperience. There are an awful lot of them, especially in the farm zones. I know it's a grey area, it doesn't mean someone is botting, but it destroiys the economy and makes farming materials shit for the rest of the players as nodes despawn istantly.

Simple solution: put an internal cd of like 1.5s on the nodes so you cannot loot them in multiple people. For normal players it doesn't mean nothing as the first click doesn't work, the second does. A multiboxer with 10 characters would that 15 seconds for a single node, effectively killing the method.

EDIT: i perfectly know nothing will change since it's more money for Blizzard.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    There has been plenty of hyperbole on both sides of this, and its been eminently clear since page one that there are people that dont understand, dont want to understand and just want to dig in on their side of the argument. No minds are being changed in this 'discussion'. Multiboxing is here to stay and nothing said in this thread will change it.
    Probably, but it still has a better chance of changing it than by not talking about it at all.

After all, most people (me included) don't seemingly want to remove Multiboxing from those that do it for fun but rather want the game to change so that Multiboxing doesn't ruin the economy the same way as Botting does. This means a change in things like how gathering nodes and personal loot work in the open world - and really the only people who have been opposing that are the people using it, just like botters are defending botting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Honestly not my exoperience. There are an awful lot of them, especially in the farm zones. I know it's a grey area, it doesn't mean someone is botting, but it destroiys the economy and makes farming materials shit for the rest of the players as nodes despawn istantly.

Simple solution: put an internal cd of like 1.5s on the nodes so you cannot loot them in multiple people. For normal players it doesn't mean nothing as the first click doesn't work, the second does. A multiboxer with 10 characters would that 15 seconds for a single node, effectively killing the method.

EDIT: i perfectly know nothing will change since it's more money for Blizzard.
    Better solution is to have all nodes be personal (as in they spawn in different places for each person and can only be seen / picked up by that person). Sure Multiboxer could get lucky every now and then by having nodes spawn at the same position on multiple accounts (unless theres only very few spawn points) but it would effectively cut profits of the method while having close to zero effect on normal players.

Better solution is to have all nodes be personal (as in they spawn in different places for each person and can only be seen / picked up by that person). Sure Multiboxer could get lucky every now and then by having nodes spawn at the same position on multiple accounts (unless theres only very few spawn points) but it would effectively cut profits of the method while having close to zero effect on normal players.
    Still makes multiboxing worth because you get more nodes overall than a standard person, but agree that it would reduce a lot the difference. Also for every node looted with a character you have all the others basically stand still soing nothing. Right now is literally X multiplied by the number of characters.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Haven't read the whole thread (just the first 12 pages), but Mulitboxers can go DIAF. The mental gymnastics of "Waa waa it's not automation I'm pressing ONE button!" (that is then being copied & broadcast AUTOMATICALLY BY 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE on FOUR OTHER INSTANCES OF THE GAME) has to be Olympic level, at the very very least.

Just to show Blizzard inconsistencies, I will leave this little gem here. Around MOP-WOD, there was an addon that Randomized your Titles. Makes sense, right? By MOP, anyone who did a decent amount of achievement hunting had over 30 titles. I had around 40-50 at the time. So, what this addon did, was that it simply changed your title, randomly, every time you zoned anywhere and got through the loading screen. A fun, inconsequential addon that just added a tiny bit of fun flavour. Much like the addon that randomized your mount.

Well guess what Mummy Blizzard did. They BANNED that inconsequential addon, that did NOTHING ELSE but change your goddamn TITLE, due to it being considered "automation". The idea was that, since the action was done AUTOMATICALLY BY THE ADDON, and not by the player opening his Char screen > titles > scroll down to find your title > click to equip, the action was considered automation. I will not dig up the blue post, anyone that wants to fact-check me is more than welcome, but I remember it vividly.

And just to add insult to injury, in Legion, they added the "Summon random favourite mount" button, in the default blizz UI, basicly absorbing the Random Mount addon. The levels of hypocricy are disgusting some times. Random mount summoning is all fine and dandy, but random title switching when zoning was not.