Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's a defining part of Fremen culture and religion.

It's the cornerstone of the Bene Gesserit and the Kwisatz Haderach project.

It's a major political tool for the Great Houses.

It's a core aspect of Tleilaxu society.

It's the centerpiece of Leto II's enforcement apparatus and religion.

It's a major plot point in the last parts of the saga through the Honored Matres.

Gender is one of THE most central themes in the entire series. A lot of the academic literature on Dune is focusing on it, why it's important, how it's important, etc. etc.

That's not to say you couldn't or shouldn't change the gender of some characters around, but that needs care and understanding and can't just be done arbitrarily. Kynes feels like a suboptimal choice there. More interesting, in my opinion, would have been a female Thufir or even a female Rabban. But that's just me.

It's not going to make or break things in the end, but I still feel it's not a showcase for the producers' thorough understanding of the source material. Which, fair enough, they don't necessarily need to have. Box office is mostly about boom boom bang bang anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's a defining part of Fremen culture and religion.

It's the cornerstone of the Bene Gesserit and the Kwisatz Haderach project.

It's a major political tool for the Great Houses.

It's a core aspect of Tleilaxu society.

It's the centerpiece of Leto II's enforcement apparatus and religion.

It's a major plot point in the last parts of the saga through the Honored Matres.

Gender is one of THE most central themes in the entire series. A lot of the academic literature on Dune is focusing on it, why it's important, how it's important, etc. etc.

That's not to say you couldn't or shouldn't change the gender of some characters around, but that needs care and understanding and can't just be done arbitrarily. Kynes feels like a suboptimal choice there. More interesting, in my opinion, would have been a female Thufir or even a female Rabban. But that's just me.

It's not going to make or break things in the end, but I still feel it's not a showcase for the producers' thorough understanding of the source material. Which, fair enough, they don't necessarily need to have. Box office is mostly about boom boom bang bang anyway.
    Uh... Thufir Hawat must be a man. All mentats in this time are males. It only changes after God Emperor Leto II. However, a a burly female Rabban would not have been a bad idea. It would have shown that Harkonnen women are just as depraved as the men. Anyhow, a female Liet Kynes is not that bad. Kynes may live with the Fremen, he/she remains an outsider.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Gender/race swaps don't really matter to me. I think people get too hung up on it sometimes.
    well,its hard to blame them,its a fact that guys are far more interested and invested in action movies and comics,and for some its a lot about the fantasy and imagining themselves in those roles,when they do these changes its like spiting in all those fans faces to try to apeal to women,and we have seen it doesnt rly work,so they lose lose,dont gain the women fans they wanted and they also piss off the loyal decades long fans

I have no problem with genderswapping in general, and there's a shitload of characters across all sorts of franchises where that's a totally valid option.

But it's not a free-for-all. Gender plays an integral role in many stories, and it's not always easy to change things. Sometimes it is - the aforementioned example of all mentats being male, for example, which is a fact in passing but has no real diegetic tie-ins (and is abandoned later on anyway). Whereas the Fremen being all led by men, having very defined gender roles, and ENORMOUS resistance to anything usurping tradition is a pretty big diegetic barrier to simply swapping a central character. You could make the argument that the Fremen could only follow Kynes BECAUSE he was a man, and that a woman making the same claims he did would not have been taken nearly as seriously by any of the naibs. Just look at Alia - even with her special position as Mua'dib's sister, pre-born daughter of a Reverend Mother, and religious cult leader, Stilgar is STILL insistent on her role as a woman, and her being a woman plays a huge role in her downfall in the eyes of the Fremen. Their entire culture is deeply riddled with gendered positions on a myriad of aspects of life, and you can't just flip that around as you please.

The Fremen are, after all, fanatics. They have their own ethics and they're not barbarians, but they're also not the "noble savage" stereotype. They have rigid customs and social norms. They are pragmatic to the extreme. They train their children to slit the throats of battlefield survivors. They're not progressives who'd just look beyond gender in a leader figure, doubly so a non-Fremen. To suggests so erodes a lot of their established identity.

To be honest, though, I don't think they gave it a massive amount of thought. They simply decided there's a need for more female roles, and picked a character they thought is somewhat important but not too consequential for the story (Kynes is killed pretty early on after all). I doubt the film will delve deeply enough into Fremen culture in the first place, and so incongruities with their portrayal in the books will rile a few hardcore fans but largely go unnoticed entirely by movie audiences. And that's what counts in a film production.

5+ Year Old Account
    Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ Heading Back To Europe For Additional Shooting In August

https://deadline.com/2020/06/denis-v...st-1202962612/
    By Tom Grater June 18, 2020 9:38am

EXCLUSIVE: Dune, Denis Villeneuve’s big-budget sci-fi pic with Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya and Oscar Isaac, is heading to Hungary to film additional material this summer, Deadline can reveal.

Warner Bros has the movie dated for December 18, 2020 in the U.S. and I understand that the extra shooting will not cause a delay and it will still release on that date. On a pic of this scale and ambition, shooting additional footage is pretty much par for the course and isn’t an indication of anything problematic with the existing material, which we hear is sizing up to be epic.

The team are planning to head back to Budapest, Hungary, where the movie shot in 2019 at Origo Film Studios. Filming has also taken part in Jordan and Norway, and initially wrapped back in July last year.

Film production has been shuttered around the world during the pandemic, but some nations have been able to get cameras rolling again, and there have been reports recently that Hungary will be one of the next European nations to give the green light. I understand Dune will shoot with extensive coronavirus safety measures in place.

Oscar Isaac, who plays Duke Leto Atreides in the movie, confirmed news of the extra shooting to Deadline in a video interview today.

“We’re going to do some additional shooting in mid August… they’re saying in Budapest in Hungary,” said Isaac. “I saw some things cut together and it just looks amazing. Denis [Villeneuve] is a real artist and it will be exciting to see it come together. It’s kind of wild that we’re doing some additional shooting a few months before it’s supposed to come out, but that happened with Star Wars as well.”

Pic is an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s epic sci-fi of the same name and is planned to be the first of two parts. Legendary Entertainment is producing.

Deadline has reached out to Legendary and Warner Bros for comment.

Really disappointed to see on IMDB that Zimmer (and his 94 additional composers at Remote Control) will be doing the music. RIP Jóhann Jóhannsson... he'd have done a much better job.

Fair enough... probably a traditional orchestral score wouldn't suit.

But there are plenty of composers who do hybrid better than Zimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    New picture, getting onboard an Ornithopter thingy, possible sandworm attack on a harvester?

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...clusive-image/
    Oh god, don't tell me they're just remastering the first movie!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Saw a quote today, probably weeks old, attributed to Greig Fraser who was doing cinematography for some Star Wars stuff and is doing Dune now:

"Baked into the core of Dune's premise is a critique of a government structure that relies on a diminishing natural resource, and how non-humanist political policies destroy entire populations, but also have grave ecological consequences. Comparatively, Star Wars is mostly concerned with good guys making sure the Death Star doesn't go zap before they can make it go boom."

Personally, it increases my hopes, Dune is an intelligent book / series, will be great if the movie keeps up, but it's interesting to me - what will Star Wars fans say about such comparison?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I have no problem with genderswapping in general, and there's a shitload of characters across all sorts of franchises where that's a totally valid option.

But it's not a free-for-all. Gender plays an integral role in many stories, and it's not always easy to change things. Sometimes it is - the aforementioned example of all mentats being male, for example, which is a fact in passing but has no real diegetic tie-ins (and is abandoned later on anyway). Whereas the Fremen being all led by men, having very defined gender roles, and ENORMOUS resistance to anything usurping tradition is a pretty big diegetic barrier to simply swapping a central character. You could make the argument that the Fremen could only follow Kynes BECAUSE he was a man, and that a woman making the same claims he did would not have been taken nearly as seriously by any of the naibs.
    I hear you, but Kynes is not a war leader, he/she is a scientist, a spiritual leader, which is a role filled by women in Fremen society, so it fits well. Villeneuve had to genderswap someone in #currentyear, and Kynes is a great choice for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Im as giddy as a school girl on getting to see the dune universe reborne once again. I loved the toto soundtrack to the lynch movie and the
    Movie made me read the books. Hell I think Ive read the original Dune book 6 times over. So I have truly high hopes for this o e. Xmas cant come soon enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Oh god, don't tell me they're just remastering the first movie!!
    Im gonna go out on a limb and guess you've never seen a Denis villeneuve movie before.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

I think this will be bad, but I will enjoy it nevertheless.

Anyways, Dune movie coming up, Apple TV producing Foundation. The Black Company and Spider World adaptations would make my childhood's favourite series complete lol.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I hear you, but Kynes is not a war leader, he/she is a scientist, a spiritual leader, which is a role filled by women in Fremen society, so it fits well. Villeneuve had to genderswap someone in #currentyear, and Kynes is a great choice for that.
    No, he did not.
    If he wants to tell a story in the Dune universe with other strong female characters he can write a new one. Not change the existing one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

5+ Year Old Account
    almost 1 hour long interview

DUNE 2020 Denis Villeneuve Interview - Shanghai International Film Festival
    Aug 1, 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIdV7AWd3ns
    Tanya Lapointe interviews Denis Villeneuve on DUNE and the filmmaking process. A SIFF MASTERCLASS as part of the 23rd Shanghai International Film Festival.

https://screenrant.com/dune-2020-mov...thee-chalamet/
    On Twitter, Chalamet replied to a fan asking for a Dune update. He mentioned the Dune trailer will be released by the end of August.

5+ Year Old Account
    Kyle MacLachlan Says ‘Dune’ Should Have Been a TV Series, Not a Movie.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/ky...la-1234580442/
    Ryan Lattanzio Aug 17, 2020 4:30 pm

In the Frank Herbert adaptation, MacLachlan played the role of Paul Atreides — now to be assumed by Timothée Chalamet in Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming version — and doesn’t have as hard of feelings over the movie’s notorious failure, both at the box office and in the cultural imagination, as his director.

“My feelings about it evolve over time. I look at it as a flawed gem,” MacLachlan said. “It’s stunning in so many ways. As a story, and trying to recreate that story, it’s almost impossible. It’s incredibly dense, and a little bit like a house of cards. If you leave out one element of the story or another, the structure tends to wobble, and you don’t get the full effect.”

MacLachlan said he is “curious” about Villeneuve’s two-film approach to the material, with one opening in December and a second already shot and in the mix. But, he said, “I would lobby for three or more films, because it has that kind of potential to really open up. In my imagination, I always thought it would be great to approach it like a ‘Game of Thrones’ model, where you have seasons, or at least a 10-part series, or a 12-part series. You could really go from beginning to end.”

MacLachlan isn’t the only Hollywood figure associated with “Dune” who thinks the material is an uphill climb to put onscreen. Alejandro Jodorowsky, who fell flat when trying to realize the novel in the 1970s, also said it’s “impossible” because of its “literary” and Proustian qualities.

“There’s a mysticism about it that is difficult to capture on film,” MacLachlan said, corroborating Jodorowsky’s remarks. “That, combined with a straight-ahead story, and characters that are really well-created. They’re full people, and you want to spend time with each one of them. And that eats up your film time. It’s a real puzzle. It’s just so many elements that you have to bring together. I remember that when I first started reading the book back in the day, I would get to about page 50 or 60 and then have to return back to the very beginning just to put all the players in place. There are so many relationships that are important to understand and know. To hold the stories of each of those so the audience can remember, it’s just almost impossible.”

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    No, he did not.
    If he wants to tell a story in the Dune universe with other strong female characters he can write a new one. Not change the existing one.
    Says who? Cause it seems to me the people that are able to give that permission, gave it to him.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Says who? Cause it seems to me the people that are able to give that permission, gave it to him.
    had to bump the thread just to try stir some sexism drama?

None of Denis's films even hint at sexual representation and are just trying to be honest to a story. If he has to fill some quotas to get this multi million dollar sci fi film made which normally dont make much money then so be it.

Please dont try make this thread one of those ones.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    had to bump the thread just to try stir some sexism drama?

None of Denis's films even hint at sexual representation and are just trying to be honest to a story. If he has to fill some quotas to get this multi million dollar sci fi film made which normally dont make much money then so be it.

Please dont try make this thread one of those ones.
    My post was "stiring drama" but his wasn't? I'm not complaining about Kynes genderswap. It's overall irrelevant to the story what gender he is.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

5+ Year Old Account
    Trailer has been seen n gotten some rating thingy..will prob come next week for Tenet premiere..

https://mcc.gouv.qc.ca/index.php?id=5944

Too often a director doesn't have control over the trailers, I hope it won't be the case this time...

Saw trailer 'Death on the Nile' yesterday, music didn't fit at all..too many dumb sheep like it cuz they like the song...Depeche mode? Seriously?.. I liked their music, doesn't mean it fits an early 20th century detective story..what's next? Heavy metal for sherlock holmes?
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-08-20 at 05:56 AM.

Too often a director doesn't have control over the trailers, I hope it won't be the case this time...

Saw trailer 'Death on the Nile' yesterday, music didn't fit at all..too many dumb sheep like it cuz they like the song...Depeche mode? Seriously?.. I liked their music, doesn't mean it fits an early 20th century detective story..what's next? Heavy metal for sherlock holmes?
    Yeah they normally out source trailers to a trailer making company. Trailers are a tricky one. Too often they show too much. You shouldnt need all that much info to be interested. Sure its a competitive market but I hate how that boils down to showing off every expensive set piece like "look what we have! come watch it!"

Some of the best trailers tease just enough you wanna find out more and watch it. Now a days they show you the beginning middle and end

10+ Year Old Account
    Trailer has been seen n gotten some rating thingy..will prob come next week for Tenet premiere..

https://mcc.gouv.qc.ca/index.php?id=5944

Well, "Murder on the Orient Express" had "Believer" from Imagine Dragons.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"