Pleb coming to town

So, I tried this game on free trial now, and I kinda like it. Since WoW is not fun atm because I have done it all over and over I am looking to try other games.

The thing I am wondering about. I see the base game is at 9.9 Euros now, which is cheap. While there is a package for everything that is 40 euros. Is it any difference if I buy the whole thing(Shadowbringers) in the initial part of the game(Quests, leveling etc)? Which I think is just as fun as end game when it is a new game that I am playing. So if I just want to play the base game first, do I miss out on improvements that the expansions made for level 1 to 50?

And does it work like expansions in WoW? Like 1 to 50 is in Realm Reborn, then you continue to Havensword and so on?

My lady says thanks.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-06-26 at 12:39 AM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    No reason to buy Shadowbringers if you are just starting. The game is entirely gated by story so ShB will be completely irrelevant to you until you finish all the previous expansions and their patches. And that's a lot.

Before the thread gets derailed like all the others I guess I'll try to give you a fair warning about the game, it's very story centered. It doesn't have a constant gameplay loop for PvE end game like WoW does, just very casual raiding and gear vendors with badges (tomes in this game). So if you want something to replace WoW's endless treadmill I don't think this will be the one.

What it does have is a very fun story that takes a long while to pick up but then kicks it up to 11 the whole way through, fun crafting, housing, and a bunch of mini games from card games to chocobo racing to jumping puzzles. It's a nice little time waster but it's not WoW.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    No reason to buy Shadowbringers if you are just starting. The game is entirely gated by story so ShB will be completely irrelevant to you until you finish all the previous expansions and their patches. And that's a lot.

Before the thread gets derailed like all the others I guess I'll try to give you a fair warning about the game, it's very story centered. It doesn't have a constant gameplay loop for PvE end game like WoW does, just very casual raiding and gear vendors with badges (tomes in this game). So if you want something to replace WoW's endless treadmill I don't think this will be the one.

What it does have is a very fun story that takes a long while to pick up but then kicks it up to 11 the whole way through, fun crafting, housing, and a bunch of mini games from card games to chocobo racing to jumping puzzles. It's a nice little time waster but it's not WoW.
    Thanks for the reply.

Nah, I don't want it to be another WoW, but in terms of gameplay I like it already, and I like story driven game. I don't want another treadmill, because I got WoW for that. I tried Guild Wars 2 as well, but I kinda liked how FF is set up together. It seems to be more streamlined(which I think is nice a new player), which I think is kinda more like WoW, but I might be wrong on that going forward.

So I guess I try the base one first, thanks I guess the sub fee is the same anyway.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-06-26 at 02:30 AM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    So I guess I try the base one first, thanks I guess the sub fee is the same anyway.
    Yup very streamlined. It's more JRPG than MMO imo. As for this part you can get an Entry sub for less than the normal, the limitation being you can only have one character per server and up to 8 characters total. But since you can unlock every job and profession in one character there's really no reason to have alts.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    No need to buy Shadowbringers until you're there. That way if you hit 50, 60, or 70 and decide the game isn't for you, then not much was lost.
    OP won't even see 60 or 70 without Shadowbringers bought, that's the only way to buy expansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    OP won't even see 60 or 70 without Shadowbringers bought, that's the only way to buy expansions.
    This is correct.

It's a really bad system imho but oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    If you ever feel as though the GCD is holding you back, give it a chance up to at least 50, it's at that point and beyond that the full breadth of the Jobs really start to open up, some arguably moreso than others from opinions. Ninja for instance will have you weaving a lot of oGCD's in between your rotation and can be quite rewarding when you nail everything just right.
    I feel it is a bit slow, I went with Arcanist as the first, but I am still really low level and even then I feel its fine. I get to actually see how the spells looks visually and all that and it looks nice, I kinda like it :P

I went into just to see how it is, and it's fun. It started very slow, but after the initial stuff it's been a ride so far. Trial over in 1 day

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Yup very streamlined. It's more JRPG than MMO imo. As for this part you can get an Entry sub for less than the normal, the limitation being you can only have one character per server and up to 8 characters total. But since you can unlock every job and profession in one character there's really no reason to have alts.
    Yeah, I like the idea of that, focus on one character and still see the whole game. Thanks for the info, very helpful!

I am now living in Eorzea lol

Thanks all for the help and info.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-06-26 at 03:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought directly the complete online package at 39.99€ (I think, maybe 34.99).
    Shadowbringers bought separately cost almost as much alone, so the calculation was readily made.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Just be aware new jobs are locked behind expansions and not levels.

Realistically FFXIV's main selling point is its story, paying 40 bucks (43 bucks?, I'm not sure exactly what a euro is worth) to get the entire story and all the classes is still worth it from a euro/per hour standpoint.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Just be aware new jobs are locked behind expansions and not levels.
    And levels. You can't turn in Dancer quest without being level 60 for example.