Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    its much worse imo

like sure they added more content, but in my opinion the best part about the game was the leveling experience.. but now they sped it up to the point where you just skip through most of the stuff

i think after it came out the leveling was almost perfect, it wasn't super time consuming, but wasn't extremely fast, it wasn't super easy, but wasn't an extremely hardcore experience either

i remember leveling multiple characters after the game was launched just for the story, but then i went back and played it like a year ago i had fun for a bit with nostalgia and in general because i like star wars, but i quickly realized how insanely easy and sped up the leveling process is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    its much worse imo

like sure they added more content, but in my opinion the best part about the game was the leveling experience.. but now they sped it up to the point where you just skip through most of the stuff

i think after it came out the leveling was almost perfect, it wasn't super time consuming, but wasn't extremely fast, it wasn't super easy, but wasn't an extremely hardcore experience either

i remember leveling multiple characters after the game was launched just for the story, but then i went back and played it like a year ago i had fun for a bit with nostalgia and in general because i like star wars, but i quickly realized how insanely easy and sped up the leveling process is
    I sort of agree, but fast levelling isn't all bad especially if you levelled multiple characters already. It allows you to pick which stories you want to do.
    Even if you do that, you will lvl really fast though.
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

it's as good as if not better than WoW to me, the scale of it in terms of story/voice acted content/etc is much grander in scope than WoW for sure. really it eclipses any other MMO in that regard by a long shot, the story is single-player level quality - there's like 200+ hours worth of voice acted story easily. questing is actually fun and interesting in this game

if you're only interested in end game content like raiding/pvp it's still worth playing but don't expect as many regular content updates there as WoW since it lacks WoW's funding

10+ Year Old Account
    its much worse imo

Ehhh?

Hard disagree here, m8. I remember what it was on launch - you had class story and general story, but it was a small part of your XP bar and you had to start doing these dogshit garbage typical MMO side quests which were a MAJOR step down from main story (duh).

IMO, exactly because the thing that SWTOR did best IS the class quests and main/major story - it's wonderful you now can level exclusively by doing the absolute best part of SWTOR, while avoiding all the pointless side trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Ehhh?

Hard disagree here, m8. I remember what it was on launch - you had class story and general story, but it was a small part of your XP bar and you had to start doing these dogshit garbage typical MMO side quests which were a MAJOR step down from main story (duh).

IMO, exactly because the thing that SWTOR did best IS the class quests and main/major story - it's wonderful you now can level exclusively by doing the absolute best part of SWTOR, while avoiding all the pointless side trash.
    i'm fine with doing side quests and think like it is a part of the story.. story isn't just your main character storyline, side quests are a part of it as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drakiru View Post
    I sort of agree, but fast levelling isn't all bad especially if you levelled multiple characters already. It allows you to pick which stories you want to do.
    Even if you do that, you will lvl really fast though.
    yeah, but not in SWTOR, at least not for me.. i didn't care about the endgame, so reaching it faster wasn't the goal

The class campaigns are really good imo. Honestly I feel like this game would have been much better as a single player RPG. The worlds/environments are great looking. The voice acting is hit or miss, but the fact that every character is fully voiced is cool. Combat is pretty standard, certainly not bad, but nothing that really stands out. It's the MMO stuff like endgame content, pvp, dungeons/raids that are really lacking imo.

But iirc you can play through the main story/class campaigns without spending any money so it's at least worth a try.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm fine with doing side quests and think like it is a part of the story.. story isn't just your main character storyline, side quests are a part of it as well.
    I mean, everyone and their poison, I guess.

If you like side quests, I can't fight that. For me these were always been inconsequential slog of your typical "vicious X are doing Y, kill Z of X and get me W of the shit they drop, so you can never see or hear from me or this god forsaken mudball again".

These were always a massive step down from actual main and class story, which at least had you know... story with actual meaning in them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    The class campaigns are really good imo. Honestly I feel like this game would have been much better as a single player RPG. The worlds/environments are great looking. The voice acting is hit or miss, but the fact that every character is fully voiced is cool. Combat is pretty standard, certainly not bad, but nothing that really stands out. It's the MMO stuff like endgame content, pvp, dungeons/raids that are really lacking imo.

But iirc you can play through the main story/class campaigns without spending any money so it's at least worth a try.
    This is exactly my thoughts there, you can beeline main class story and campaign stories and totally treat this as a super cheap Star Wars single player game with massive amount of stuff, it's a shitton of content there now with all the additions over the years and it's pretty good for the most part.

That said - it's definitely dated. Graphics and such look absolutely 2012 level - NPC models and such have these horrible washed out textures. I don't know, maybe it gets better with expansions content, but base is definitely dated. Overall it's barely passable by current standards - not pixel graphics, but boi... this sure IS dated.

its much worse imo

Nothing stopping you from doing those side quests "just because" though.

I agree though, that is is a bit too fast, and you do feel a bit too OP, but that's actually one of the reasons I like it because it plays on that power fantasy, and honestly lines up with most of the class stories anyway. If you want challenge there's group content you can dial up.

The main reason I like the leveling speed is because it gets you to your more fun abilities and skills sooner, which makes playing more fun IMO.

YMMV, obviously and it is subjective. Just saying, leveling speed doesn't mean you're required to skip any quests if you don't want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    KEKW... "I am not cute. I am deadly."

you can beeline main class story and campaign stories and totally treat this as a super cheap Star Wars single player game with massive amount of stuff, it's a shitton of content there now with all the additions over the years and it's pretty good for the most part.
    That is how I've always played it, and honestly, I've had enormous amounts of fun with the game like that. I maybe ventured into group play three or four times in the early days and it wasn't great, but now you literally don't need to do that even for flashpoints.

And the class story lines really are that good. Empire is obviously much better than Republic, but even the campiest shit in the Jedi Knight story is still fun.

The F2P elements don't have to bother you if you just subscribe, and honestly if you just sub for a month or two you'll get the same cost:reward ratio you'd AT LEAST get from a random single player game, if not more. The only time that model really sucks is if you're someone who can't play a lot and will take a long time to complete everything you want to complete, as that obviously increases the cost. Playing pure F2P is also entirely possible, though, if you don't mind some admittedly egregious inconveniences here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhh?

I think the best time for the game was when they did a promotion just before one of the major expansions where if you subbed you got some huge boost to XP gain (don't remember exactly how much but it was more then double) to the point where if you just did the class story mission, you would level at the perfect rate. It was fast-paced and you got to just do the best part of the game, the class story missions, but everything was still tuned around a max lvl 50 or 55 character so there was still a bit of a challenge. Now, the game is tuned with being able to level just doing the class and planet main missions, but it is balanced to make the leveling a total joke. You can breeze through everything with no strategy just smashing random buttons. The stories are still enjoyable, but it is just no fun to play.

Thankfully, Jedi Fallen Order came out and was a big hit showing that single player Star Wars games will totally sell so I hope we will finally be getting more. Forever holding out hope that even if it isn't KOTOR 3, someone will someday make a Old Republic era action-rpg game somewhere down the line.

3+ Year Old Account
    The way the game played mechanically, the poor UI and inability to use macros in PvP put me off playing it heavily. I loved the class design and the frontlines, but hated virtually everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieNora View Post
    The way the game played mechanically, the poor UI and inability to use macros in PvP put me off playing it heavily. I loved the class design and the frontlines, but hated virtually everything else.
    You mean you couldnt get addons/macros to get an advantage and had to play on the same level as everyone else? Dreadful! Sounds like... balanced or something.
    There's lots of customization to the UI and there's lots shared online. Of course it's not convenient like weak auras and macros, but it sure is fair and i apreciate that. The PvP is what i like the most in the game. When there aren't pre-mades ruining it that is.

You need to L2P, sorry to say. Different game, different rules.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-07-05 at 05:04 AM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    You mean you couldnt get addons/macros to get an advantage and had to play on the same level as everyone else? Dreadful! Sounds like... balanced or something.
    There's lots of customization to the UI and there's lots shared online. Of course it's not convenient like weak auras and macros, but it sure is fair and i apreciate that. The PvP is what i like the most in the game. When there aren't pre-mades ruining it that is.

You need to L2P, sorry to say. Different game, different rules.
    You say this when I play XIV that has a horrible macro system and no legal addons. I played SWTOR because I wanted a new ranked PvP game with my friends and trying to silence casts with individual frame clicking and a relatively clunky engine was just a painful experience. We climbed absolutely fine it just wasn't enjoyable. Not everyone that doesn't enjoy a game doesn't enjoy it because they're shit at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Or should I just punt and play something else?
    go play something else or wait a couple weeks for New World.

That said - it's definitely dated. Graphics and such look absolutely 2012 level - NPC models and such have these horrible washed out textures. I don't know, maybe it gets better with expansions content, but base is definitely dated. Overall it's barely passable by current standards - not pixel graphics, but boi... this sure IS dated.
    My main problem is how the male models have female proportions and looks completely ridiculous, with very short torsos and very long legs.
    Really kills playing as a male, and as I want to play the male romances it kinda makes me shrug about finishing the class stories.

Also, the ultra-easiness and dumbed down stat makes the actual gameplay boring, so "playing the game" isn't fun, and I'm not really finding it worth the time to spend tens of hours watching a story.

You say this when I play XIV that has a horrible macro system and no legal addons. I played SWTOR because I wanted a new ranked PvP game with my friends and trying to silence casts with individual frame clicking and a relatively clunky engine was just a painful experience. We climbed absolutely fine it just wasn't enjoyable. Not everyone that doesn't enjoy a game doesn't enjoy it because they're shit at it.
    Fair enough. But your opponents had the same exact problems, so at least it was balanced eh?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Fair enough. But your opponents had the same exact problems, so at least it was balanced eh?
    You know what, fucking oath - I'll give you that. I never had anything to cry about when it came to any specific class. I mean some where quite clearly worse than others at a ranked environment, but everything SEEMED at least PLAYABLE at a high level, from the perspective of someone who climbs multiple of MMORPG pvp ladders. Like honestly it was some of the most enjoyable PvP I'd played I loved playing Merc, I loved the toolkit and managing the gauge to not overheat during matches instead of managing mana. I thought that was really cool. It's just I guess I just didn't like the movement, didn't like the lack of UI customisation from a PvP perspective, and whilst having the large scale battles pop all day long, when I was trying to get friends in to play with me they didn't like being repeatedly stomped by premades whilst I was sleeping IRL or w.e.

It wasn't a bad game. I hated a lot of shit about it, but considering it was F2P (although I did pay), the few months of enjoyment playing something new I got out of it was worth the money spent lol.

You know what, fucking oath - I'll give you that. I never had anything to cry about when it came to any specific class. I mean some where quite clearly worse than others at a ranked environment, but everything SEEMED at least PLAYABLE at a high level, from the perspective of someone who climbs multiple of MMORPG pvp ladders. Like honestly it was some of the most enjoyable PvP I'd played I loved playing Merc, I loved the toolkit and managing the gauge to not overheat during matches instead of managing mana. I thought that was really cool. It's just I guess I just didn't like the movement, didn't like the lack of UI customisation from a PvP perspective, and whilst having the large scale battles pop all day long, when I was trying to get friends in to play with me they didn't like being repeatedly stomped by premades whilst I was sleeping IRL or w.e.

It wasn't a bad game. I hated a lot of shit about it, but considering it was F2P (although I did pay), the few months of enjoyment playing something new I got out of it was worth the money spent lol.
    I agree with that. Though it is not really an F2P game cause to do end-game raiding and PvP you kind of need to sub. It's more an F2P option if you just want to solo.
    But, yeah. It's an enjoyable game that suffers from a publisher that doesn't invest enough on it.
    It would be so much better if they had the budget and team to make proper expansions every 2 years like WoW and FFXIV.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-07-06 at 02:14 AM.

Prep for shadowlands, warriors, hunters, pallys, DKs, rogues, and locks all look stronk.