Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And we have a new poll from Faux News(their polling tends to be pretty good).

https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status...92392463880199

GA, NC, and TX are all toss ups right now.
    I still dont expect Biden to take Texas, but his numbers in Florida are damn promising for him. Trump cannot win without Florida. The amount of other states he'd have to pick up makes it nearly impossible.

If Biden takes Florida and Pennsylvania, it's over. He should campaign in all those states, and do it heavily (even with a VP pick), so that the people there dont feel abandoned.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    "Many people say, and I hear a lot of people say, I have the best words. The best, would you believe it? And I hear people talking. They say, isn't he nice, he's so nice. But the democrats. We have to end it, we have to. We have to. It's terrible what they're doing to our country. And I have the best people, I really do. I hired the best people."

That was probably a bit too coherent, I'm not very good at stupid.
    Is that a fucking direct quote from the interview? Jesus - the GOP are utter moral cowards. Trump should be put down with the 25th.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG. 9,000...is that a daily record for every state?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Trump just leaves.
    I've suggested that myself, earlier on, and I think it still has merit. He'll claim "rigged" if it's a close call, but he will refuse to be overwhelmed.

- - - Updated - - -

And there it is, for @Benggaul @PhaelixWW and everyone else:

Florida to close bars after shattering record of new coronavirus cases

That's not "pauses reopening". This, I think, is the first reclosing we've seen. That's how bad it is -- Florida is reclosing.

Why didn't y'all just wear the damn mask?

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I went back and posted the original FL DoH source in the previous post.
    Thank you kindly! I'm still unable to connect today for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No. New York had several instances above 10k...but Florida looks like it wants to be the new "champ".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    My initial speculation after Trump beat Clinton was that it was an utter fluke and he wouldn't run for a 2nd term so he could say he quit without having lost. The old 'retire as champion' move.
    Obviously over time it showed that Trumps victory was slightly less of a fluke and before this pandemic I would have given him 50/50 odds at getting re-elected (which says a lot about the state of US politics).

Now? I don't know. I don't think he can convince himself that walking away now is anything less then an admission of defeat. And there is no ignoring the 'cost' of leaving the presidency. All those lawsuits he is currently being protected from will come crashing down. Its like Berlusconi or Netanyahu trying to cling to power to avoid the inevitable prosecutions.

Now that I think about it a little, what are the odds he steps down as President instead of not running for re-election. Transferring power to Pence who then pardons him as a 'favour'. God that would be a fucked up future.

Some people consider the idea of Trump not accepting the results of an election he loses. I'm not to worried about that. Once his term ends he will be dragged out of the WH kicking and screaming by the SS if need be.
    You make an interesting point. What if he's laying down the foundation of a "rigged" election in order to resign rather than be ousted in what he considers and unfair election?

Is that a fucking direct quote from the interview? Jesus - the GOP are utter moral cowards. Trump should be put down with the 25th.
    I just came up with something random to try to mimic his incoherent word salad. But thinking back on it, his actual speech pattern is even more of a mess so I didn't really do it justice there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Thank you kindly! I'm still unable to connect today for some reason.

No. New York had several instances above 10k...but Florida looks like it wants to be the new "champ".
    That's right - NYC really had it bad for awhile (cheers to them for tackling it so well). The numbers in Florida have only skyrocketed up. Does anyone think those numbers are going to start trending down any time soon? Is Florida governor even saying anything? Or is he still at the beach party?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I still dont expect Biden to take Texas, but his numbers in Florida are damn promising for him. Trump cannot win without Florida. The amount of other states he'd have to pick up makes it nearly impossible.

If Biden takes Florida and Pennsylvania, it's over. He should campaign in all those states, and do it heavily (even with a VP pick), so that the people there dont feel abandoned.
    Depend on how TX oil & gas fare in the next few months. His biggest support is in the rural areas. The rural areas with the highest population are all in oil & gas counties. Right now the population of those counties are being decimated not unlike the 2015 - 2017 oil crisis. Except at a faster rate. Without those counties, he can't win TX.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I've suggested that myself, earlier on, and I think it still has merit. He'll claim "rigged" if it's a close call, but he will refuse to be overwhelmed.
    I wonder if someone is whispering that in his ear. It's a relatively elegant solution. He can claim victory and be gone.

(to those wondering about a Pence Pardon, if that chain of events take place, it won't stop state charges from being brought against Trump - he would still spend the rest of his life defending law suits)

10+ Year Old Account
    New York peaked at 11.7k. Florida doesn't have to go very much further to top that.

Now, per capita testing has much improved since the NY peak, so the optimistic-minded person might want to attribute a higher case counts to more thorough testing. But while it's valid that more testing will find more of the infected people out there, you also want to pay attention to the positivity rate, as well.

If the spike in case count were simply due to testing more, we'd expect to see a drop in the positivity rate, as it would be "diluted" by more widespread testing. But that's not what's happening in Florida.

Still, a positivity reaching about 15% is much lower than what NY experienced. At its peak, NY was at about 40% positivity (NYC was at 70%!)

Were the NY spike to occur now, with the amount of testing being done, I'd expect their peak daily increase in case count to be in the 20-30k range.

That being said... Fuck Florida.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

- - - Updated - - -

And there it is, for @Benggaul @PhaelixWW and everyone else:

Florida to close bars after shattering record of new coronavirus cases

That's not "pauses reopening". This, I think, is the first reclosing we've seen. That's how bad it is -- Florida is reclosing.

Why didn't y'all just wear the damn mask?
    Second, from that article, beaten by Texas by a few hours.

Florida is now the second state to reimpose restrictions, after Texas announced just a few hours earlier that it would close bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    The contradictions are starting to pile up as the virus spreads like wildfire in more Trump-friendly states.
    Government Affiliated Snark

89% of Americans wear masks in public as the coronavirus pandemic persists: POLL

Not sure how much I trust that people answered honestly in this poll, but it certainly seems like the 11% who don't are living primarily in the South.

- - - Updated - - -

No, to both of your questions. Person implied they were paraphrasing (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    That was probably a bit too coherent, I'm not very good at stupid.
    NYS had over 11k in one day. Edit: looks like someone beat me to the punch answering that question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Remember, measures taken now lag for about 2 weeks. So Florida, even with taking action now, still has 2 more weeks of growth to go.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    89% of Americans wear masks in public as the coronavirus pandemic persists: POLL

Not sure how much I trust that people answered honestly in this poll, but it certainly seems like the 11% who don't are living primarily in the South.
    CNN has an article about mask use that I find more credible.

Though reading through, they're based on the same poll. I guess the CNN graphic is using "wore masks at all times" and the MSN article is saying "wore a mask sometime in the last week".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Closing bars won't be enough. Illinois and the Northeast had to close ALL non essentials for 6-8 weeks before we got a handle on this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    When you get a spike in Covid cases a great leader will....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/coro...est-sites.html
    Coronavirus: Federal government will end funding for 13 community-based Covid-19 test sites, most in Texas

….ummm…..
    The absolute stupidity of this administration is mindboggling. Trump's ego is so big he'd rather worry about his fucking numbers than actually solving the problem of this pandemic.

But I guess Hillary had some fucking emails or something.
    Putin khuliyo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...ge%2Fstory-ans

More cases is good! That means testing works!

Most new cases are for people under 45, that's great news!

This seems to be going well.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...awful-n1232287

And in a 2:1 ruling, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rules that the Trump administration does not have the Constitutional authority to redirect Pentagon funding for "THE WALL".

"These funds were appropriated for other purposes, and the transfer amounted to 'drawing funds from the Treasury without authorization by statute and thus violating the Appropriations Clause.' Therefore, the transfer of funds here was unlawful."

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    CNN has an article about mask use that I find more credible.

Though reading through, they're based on the same poll. I guess the CNN graphic is using "wore masks at all times" and the MSN article is saying "wore a mask sometime in the last week".
    This at least jives more with what I see when I am going to t he grocery store about half to 60% of people have masks.