15+ Year Old Account
    The next couple of weeks will be interesting in the US.

Record-breaking amount of new infections and most of the states are just standing there with their pants down.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans are killing Americans because their loyalty oaths to their corrupt God Emperor were more important to them than protecting Americans from a deadly pandemic.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

hopefully this will end the movie and tv trope of 'man from the CDC here to solve the deadly virus problem'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    hopefully this will end the movie and tv trope of 'man from the CDC here to solve the deadly virus problem'.
    And the phrase "Avoid it like the plague".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    When new cases are surging halting reopening isn't good enough. Its like sitting in an our of control train and easing off the gas, but not reaching for the break.

They should have already closed things back down.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Well then, let's not be disingenuous. Seasonal flu vs seasonal Covid, flu wins 100-0. Covid won't be seasonal, it doesn't mutate like flu.
    Coronaviruses and the flu are both single-stranded RNA-virus and thus mutate quite a lot.

Remember that the reason we have seasonal flu is because there are lots of variants that come and go, it takes several years for the virus to mutate from one outbreak to the next one. Exactly why flu is seasonal is unclear - but even if covid in itself isn't seasonal there is likely to be seasonality if it stays around; as people are more likely to mistake it for cold/flu during flu season.

In one sense coronaviruses are already close to different flu-variants that have appeared over the years, since among deadly corona-viruses we have during the last decades had Sars-Cov-1, Mers, and then Sars-Cov-2 appearing a few years later. The difference is that only Sars-Cov-2 spreads a lot in contrast to the flu where a large number of variants spread a lot.

What is unclear is whether we will have new deadly variants (doesn't seem unlikely) and whether they and Sars-Cov-2 will stay around in modified form and periodically re-appear (also possible); either because some humans continue to have it (as for some other corona-viruses) or because some animals keep it active (as for Mers).

That Covid isn't as seasonal as the flu, but is more active all seasons is hardly a major benefit.

No second wave in the USA!!!! IN YOUR FACE NAYSAYERS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I know we are not one of the big hitters anymore, but Inslee announced that masks are required in public.

Inslee announces statewide mask mandate
    https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-med...e-mask-mandate

I have former co worker that’s a yoge Trump supporter who moved WA to AZ years ago on my Facebook. Constantly bitching about Inslee, so I checked the numbers. AZ definitely has a commanding lead... a real “come from behind” story... in a sense that AZ is getting fucked by covid...

Edit: This shouldn’t still be relevant, but from our marmite loving friends:

Last edited by Felya; 2020-06-26 at 11:59 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Are you suggesting that if a second wave hasn't occurred now it won't ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Are you suggesting that if a second wave hasn't occurred now it won't ever?
    I think he is saying US isn’t getting waves, just a tsunami.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Portuguese governement declared new measures.

Yellow - Mainland Portugal (Azores and Madeira regions have their own measures)
    - Mandatory quarantine for patients or people under active vigilance;
    - The rules of physical distancing and the use of masks are to be keept;
    - People gatherings limited to 20 people;
    - Consumption of alchool in public spaces is not allowed;
    - Those that don't follow this rules can get a ticket for 100€-500€ (singular people) or 1 000€-5 000€ (colective people)

Orange - Lisbon Metro Area
    - Stores closed at 8:00PM, being the exception: restaurants working for take away, supermarkets (closed at 10:00PM), gas stations, veterinary clinics, pharmacies, funeraries, sport equipaments.
    - No alchool at service areas;
    - people gatherings limited to 10 people.

Red - 19 parishes in 5 municipalities of Lisbon Metro Area
    - Civil duty of staying at home;
    - Fairs not allowed;
    - People gatherings limited to 5 people;
    - Reinforcement of the vigilance of those that are forced to quarantine;
    - Safe neighborhoods program.

And in NJ everything will be open by next week

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    With Florida posting nearly 9k new cases yesterday I'm starting to wonder if Ron DeSantis wants the distinction of having the most new cases in a single day. Texas is at least doing something with reduced capacity at restaurants and all bars being ordered to close at noon today.
    Donald Trump is still trying to dismantle Obamacare during the Pandemic and Defunding Testing during a Pandemic, and Republicans are going a long with it.

Trumpist Racism and Idiocy is at an all time high and will cause Deaths.

Donald Trump and anybody supporting him are and have been the party of Pro-Coronavirus.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-06-26 at 03:47 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    With Florida posting nearly 9k new cases yesterday I'm starting to wonder if Ron DeSantis wants the distinction of having the most new cases in a single day. Texas is at least doing something with reduced capacity at restaurants and all bars being ordered to close at noon today.
    Fake news from liberal haters. This is purely a political issue, not a matter of public health.

I cannot believe how many people in the US are likely to die because things like wearing a mask and not packing into a crowded room shoulder to shoulder have become politicized.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't Trump understand that he is practically culling his own voters?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Doesn't Trump understand that he is practically culling his own voters?
    I think it's readily apparent that Trump doesn't understand much of anything at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, tomorrow looks to be an auspicious day, as (according to worldometers, at least) the global case count should break 10 million and the global death count should break 500k.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    because the "first wave" is ongoing...which is actually a really bad thing...

Meanwhile in Canada, Ontario (Canada's most populated province) just recorded it's lowest cases (111) since March with the highest number of tests they've ever conducted in a day (almost 31k). 0.37% positive test rate. Canada is pretty much an island of sanity on the biggest shitshow of a continent for this virus.

If only tennisace was still here to make a thread about it....
    Last edited by bmjclark; 2020-06-26 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Meanwhile in Canada, Ontario (Canada's most populated province) just recorded it's lowest cases (111) since March with the highest number of tests they've ever conducted in a day (almost 31k). 0.37% positive test rate.
    Great, your hospital must be empty.

Me and my 3 Trump-Voter brothers had virus and couldn't get into a hospital in Texas.
    We are driving to Canada now !

We have no money, but have a few good guns as payment.