Going OOM as Aff

I jumped into an LFR yesterday to try out some new gear and found myself OOM on 2/3 of the fights. My unbuffed haste is 50% and I'm specced into Drain Soul. Only use Drain Life when it hits 50 stacks. Is this a L2P issue or should I spec Deathbolt to avoid the DS channel?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

5+ Year Old Account
    at very high levels of haste this happens because shadow bolt (or drain soul) just get spammed too much and cost mana

- - - Updated - - -

well would you look at that

Classes

Warlock
    Affliction
    The mana cost of Shadow Bolt has been reduced by 25%.
    Destruction
    The mana cost of Incinerate has been reduced by 25%.
    Developers’ note: Affliction and Destruction Warlocks are running out of mana in prolonged fights when using high levels of Haste so we're reducing the mana costs of their primary filler spells.

Makes you wonder why they don't just remove the cost entirely for non-utility spells, since you know you're clearly not supposed to care about mana.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    at very high levels of haste this happens because shadow bolt (or drain soul) just get spammed too much and cost mana

- - - Updated - - -

well would you look at that

Classes

Warlock
    Affliction
    The mana cost of Shadow Bolt has been reduced by 25%.
    Destruction
    The mana cost of Incinerate has been reduced by 25%.
    Developers’ note: Affliction and Destruction Warlocks are running out of mana in prolonged fights when using high levels of Haste so we're reducing the mana costs of their primary filler spells.
    Timing was pretty coincidental huh?

But yeah, this will happen at high levels of haste. I'm hoping that Drain Soul is included in the Shadow Bolt reduction as well; it should be, but you know how these things go sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Timing was pretty coincidental huh?

But yeah, this will happen at high levels of haste. I'm hoping that Drain Soul is included in the Shadow Bolt reduction as well; it should be, but you know how these things go sometimes.
    What’s the point of mana nowadays anyway?

mana pots as a dps cooldown, just like the old days

I imagine that the thought process is that removing mana would elicit a chorus of shrieking about 'dumbing down the game' (even though shards are the resource, not mana) so they just leave it as a vestigial nub.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Makes you wonder why they don't just remove the cost entirely for non-utility spells, since you know you're clearly not supposed to care about mana.
    This IMO,

Mana still needs to be in the game for utility so that mages for instance cant infinitley spam spell steal or SP shadowmend and even thought it is a dead resource really for warlock, its still makes sense to leave it on the class for potential future usage if required.

5+ Year Old Account
    We can go oom actually by spamming Fear and Drain Life. So the utility limit works for us too.

Quote Originally Posted by villie View Post
    This IMO,

Mana still needs to be in the game for utility so that mages for instance cant infinitley spam spell steal or SP shadowmend and even thought it is a dead resource really for warlock, its still makes sense to leave it on the class for potential future usage if required.
    Since the invention of charges mana isn't even needed for utility.

Just give spellsteal 3 charges with a X seconds recharge and it's fine.

Mana is completly pointless except for classes they made the decision on that it should matter. From everyone else it can be removed.

I miss lifetap.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainium View Post
    Since the invention of charges mana isn't even needed for utility.

Just give spellsteal 3 charges with a X seconds recharge and it's fine.

Mana is completly pointless except for classes they made the decision on that it should matter. From everyone else it can be removed.
    That would be a terrible change, you'd have mages at your door with pickforks 30s after you suggested it. It needs to be spammable because the majority of the abilities you are spell stealing are also spammable. The moments when you are meaningfully using spell steal you are pressing it more than 3 times believe me so mana is the perfect resource to facilitate that without it being infinite. It certainly has a skill cap attached to it as well i.e making sure you have enough mana to spam spell steal when you know an enemy disc priest has rapture available for example. For other instances like resto druids they have kleptomania.

But i agree mana is pretty pointless and should not be a thing for classes that dont use it anymore, however mages are defo not one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I miss lifetap.
    You know i will probably be lambasted for saying this as well, but i didn't mind it during its iteration of when it provided and Int buff for pressing it so it felt meaningful. It also fitted well into the rotation of the Felguard/Emberstorm spec i was playing at the time in wrath.

If it had Int buff attached to it i would not mind seeing it return.
    Last edited by villie; 2020-06-30 at 09:13 AM.

Locks still had tap in legion and it blew ass.

It's a fine spell when the game was slower, everyone was gated by resources and everything didn't one-shot you so healers didn't keep everyone topped all the time.
    On retail, though none of that is true.

Wait, a warlock is actually going OOM? Patch notes that reduce the mana cost of warlock spells? Whatever happened to Life Tap and Drain Mana? :S (I've never played a Wlock, only with them/against them, genuinely interested).

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Wait, a warlock is actually going OOM? Patch notes that reduce the mana cost of warlock spells? Whatever happened to Life Tap and Drain Mana? :S (I've never played a Wlock, only with them/against them, genuinely interested).
    It sounds crazy, right? The first time it happened I briefly didn't understand what was going on. Like, "Hey, why are my spells greyed out?"
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

I honestly miss the old Life Tap. It was a choice you had to play around and plan out it’s usage to avoid an incoming damage spike while still keeping mana available. You couldn’t just wait until you were low and then spam it to fill up without healers hating you because you wasted their mana.

Drain Mana needs to come back if the Arena/PvP game has longer fights. Draining a healers mana quicker at the cost of dps was a good choice to make as well and it kept world pvp against healers from lasting the whole weekend.

I did it while playing soccer in our heroic farm the other night with a regular rotation. Did it in demonology a few times when chain pulling trash.

I would advise you all to try some Tips at smarttip.org. It helped me and I hope this would help you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TomShell View Post
    I would advise you all to try some Tips
    I would advice you not to link some random url on a brand new account if you ever want to be taken seriously.