Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Who in their right mind would buy used ssd's these days? They are cheap as hell now.
    I was going to say I'll by 250gb or 500gb used SSD's all day long for all my side systems and office units but I went and checked...

A new 250gb ADATA SSD is $30. A 500gb is $50. Holy crap. Yeah... USed SSD's are barely even worth the time selling.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    If it were overwritten with plain zeroes a determined government would still have a chance of recovering old data in a lab.

It's hard to find an authoritative answer on how to wipe an entire SSD making all the old data 100% unrecoverable in all cases because of the underlying workings of SSD technology.
    3-5 passes of a good deletion algorithm should do the job. Or be crazy and do 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Who in their right mind would buy used ssd's these days? They are cheap as hell now.
    Second hand SSD is even more cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    3-5 passes of a good deletion algorithm should do the job. Or be crazy and do 100.
    1 pass with random data would be just as good for all practical purposes if you can find and trust something that will do the job over the whole memory of your SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Second hand SSD is even more cheaper.
    Who's going to really go to all that effort to sell something for 10-20 bucks?

All the people wondering who tf would buy used SSDs: You are dramatically underestimating the second hand market.
    Like srsly, a used 1TB SSD easily sells for 50-60 Euro. Thats roughly 50% of the price of a new one. There is no reason not to sell it, if you either can make sure there is nothing left on it or if there never was something important on it to begin with.
    On the other hand: For so many people it does not matter if the SSD was used before if they can save 50% of the costs.