Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    By obese I mean overweight to the point that daily physical activities like taking a shower, putting on cloth, walking, getting in/out of the car, personal hygiene become a struggle, otherwise, you should not lose weight unless you have other goals in mind like competing in marathon, bodybuilding and so on.

Health and weight are not directly related, example, someone who eats healthy meals every day and exercises in moderation but abuses legal drugs like alcohol, nicotine or prescription medications will end up in a far worse shape than someone who is a bit on a chubby side, same applies to stressful job, reckless behavior, sedentary lifestyle and so on.
    This has been proven untrue. "Fat, but healthy" does not exist nor compute. The fat itself increase risks of getting loads and loads of illnesses. It hurts your skeleton. Health and weight are directly related, and it doesn't matter how long/far a fat person can run, or the various counts of its pulse, or how much muscles this person has. Fat is extremely unhealthy in and of itself. (despite knowing this, I have my fair share of it as well)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I don’t want to lift, because I don’t want muscle mass. And I think training endurance still builds muscle? Also, cardio is too much work for just losing half a meal’s worth of calories.

I used to weigh 95 lbs. Now I’m almost double that. I used to drink tea when I had cravings, but now there’s popcorn, chips and ice cream around. Should I just not eat as much? Is that really all?
    It's probably already been said, but CBA reading through the whole thread.

Weight management isn't complicated magic. The majority of your body fat, or loss of it, comes from what you eat, and you should consider any and all exercise as means to maintain your body and your muscles. The more you exercise, the more you have to eat to compensate and to rebuild your muscles.

The real problem lies in how to manage your calorie intake. You enjoy eating, it feels good and comforting, and sometimes it's even just something to do. Overeating and snacking is a huge hurdle to overcome, but there are strategies to overcome them. There are no shortcuts, discipline and sacrifice will be your life.

Some approaches:

1: Count Calories. Eat whatever the fuck you want, but stay within your Calorie count. Let's say you're otherwise healthy, 1200-1500 Kcals a day (just a guess based on your "used to weight" do some google), a little more if you exercise. You can literally eat candy to fill your quota of the day, but you won't ever feel full and the sugar is gonna leave you craving more, so I'd advice against it. The point is that it doesn't matter. It's hard, but as long as you make some smart decisions you won't go hungry. No problem if you hit 2000 once in a while either. Setbacks will happen.

2: Avoid carbs, as much as possible or completely. Look at declarations. Anything with 5% carbs or less is a surefire way to feel full while losing weight. Stay clear of pasta, white bread(or bread at all), rice, stock up on vegetables instead. Experiment with cooking. Most vegetables can be really tasty, you can literally eat as much as you want, and it'll almost only be good for you anyway. You still have to count calories, but there's less chance of overeating.

3: Count grams of protein. There is this "golden rule" for those that work out that your muscles will have everything they need if you eat 1g/pound body weight/day / 1,5-2g/kg body weight/day. In your case, start by trying to eat 80-100g proteins a day. Boil 3 or 4 eggs for breakfast. It sounds easy enough, but you'll be so full it's hard to eat your daily quota. Chances are you'll lose your appetite as well. And to put it in perspective, 100g protein is ~400kcal, if 100 doesn't get you full, go for 150. even if you should want to stay within 1000kcal a day, you'll still have 400kcal of joy left. Minus vegetables. Always eat lots of vegetables. Broccoli is underrated. High protein diets usually lacks in fiber, so you'll have to eat some dark bread or loads of vegetables, or your stomach will disagree with you in many ways.

If nothing else, this is a place to start. Google, ask questions, find information and recipes.

Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    By obese I mean overweight to the point that daily physical activities like taking a shower, putting on cloth, walking, getting in/out of the car, personal hygiene become a struggle, otherwise, you should not lose weight unless you have other goals in mind like competing in marathon, bodybuilding and so on.

Health and weight are not directly related, example, someone who eats healthy meals every day and exercises in moderation but abuses legal drugs like alcohol, nicotine or prescription medications will end up in a far worse shape than someone who is a bit on a chubby side, same applies to stressful job, reckless behavior, sedentary lifestyle and so on.
    I was never that overweight that it hindered me, or so i first figured. Over the course of a year i dropped around 18 kilo's and it makes a big difference, in pretty much every thing. Weight and health are most definitely related, people who claim otherwise are generally trying to look for justifications of their life style. A lot of people who consider themselves "just chubby" are actually obese, as in 20% or more body fat.

It's rather ironic that you advocate for a life of moderation but don't consider overweight to be a result of lack of moderation. You can also get fat on healthy foods, the whole "healthy foods" thing is a bit of misnomer because if you consumer over 2500 to 3000 calories of healthy food your are living a fairly unhealthy lifestyle also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Portion control.

https://tdeecalculator.net/ throw your stats into this calculator, install My Fitness Pal to your phone, then start reading labels on the food you eat, and keep a negative caloric intake. And try not to stress yourself out about it.

Healthy change rarely comes overnight, and it's ok to cheat once in a while, but piging out should be off the table, unless you're doing the 5/2 thing, but I found that one hard to keep.

Bread is not the problem, sugar is. Your brain needs carbs to maintain good function, carbs are ok, just try to not overdo it, you need to look at sugar specifically, because sugar is NOT good. Sugar is just a form of carbs.

The most important bit is your food intake, so you don't need to exercise, but it would be ideal if you can start just a small routine of cardio. Youtube has a bunch of these training vids, pick one you like and you can stick to when you've adjusted to a new food-schedule.

Hope it was useful.

I bet you definitely have to leave playing indoor games for a while and move on outdoor games. has really helps. and doing yoga also helps a lot.

10+ Year Old Account

Health and weight are almost directly related. Happiness and health, maybe not, but health and weight, definitely.

The fact is abusing recreation drugs and being overweight, while different, will land you in the same place if not addressed. The hospital or the morgue. Rec drugs? Stop abusing them. Overweight? Lose some weight. Problem solved. These are apples and oranges.

There is also a very broad spectrum of how overweight someone can be, but almost all of it has adverse impacts on your health.

You still haven't addressed why it wouldn't be a good idea?

Is it not a good idea because weight loss is hard?

Do you seem to think that weight loss itself will badly influence your life? I mean sure, it can if you go insane. Talk to a doctor first. They are going to say, "Yes you should lose weight! However, not to exceed 2 lbs a week, etc, etc.". They aren't going to say, "Losing weight isn't a good idea. I mean you still can get upstairs right? Let's wait until you can't get out of bed to lose weight. We'll revisit this in a few hundred pounds."

I really do not understand where you are coming from.

Everything affects your health... browsing social media affects your health, wiping in M+ affects your health, smoking weed after affects your health, drinking beer with your buddies affects your health, drinking and driving affects your health, 2014 fucked me up real good, we can't help ourselves... weight is the last thing anyone should worry about.
    Of course everything affects your health! The difference is that when I wipe in a M+ I'm pissed for about 10 minutes until it's over. When I'm overweight my body function is permanently hindered until I address the the elephant in the room, which is my weight!

I don't think anyone should lose weight if they don't want to. I don't know why you wouldn't want to, but hey I'm not going to force you. However, to say that losing weight if you're overweight isn't a good idea is simply asinine.

Want to feel better? Live longer? Be happier? Etc. Etc. Etc. Losing weight doesn't guarantee it, but it sure as hell gives you a better chance at it. Hell you are even more likely to get a better job if you are healthy and fit. If you don't think employers judge you based on your weight then you are dead wrong. Being overweight speaks a lot about your ability to be responsible and consume in moderation. Not all employers will consider it, but a lot do.

They only instance in which you shouldn't be losing weight is if you are A. Already at a healthy weight. (Good job!) or B. Underweight (Talk to your doc!).
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2020-06-28 at 01:36 PM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I was never that overweight that it hindered me, or so i first figured. Over the course of a year i dropped around 18 kilo's and it makes a big difference, in pretty much every thing. Weight and health are most definitely related, people who claim otherwise are generally trying to look for justifications of their life style. A lot of people who consider themselves "just chubby" are actually obese, as in 20% or more body fat.

It's rather ironic that you advocate for a life of moderation but don't consider overweight to be a result of lack of moderation. You can also get fat on healthy foods, the whole "healthy foods" thing is a bit of misnomer because if you consumer over 2500 to 3000 calories of healthy food your are living a fairly unhealthy lifestyle also.
    while i generally agree with your statement, HOWEVER there is NOT specific number of calories that is applicable to every adult human ever. for example - 2500 calories is a deficit for my husband. 3000 is his maintenance. meanwhile, my current maintenance is roughly around 1700 so even 2000 right now would put me at a surplus. (some of it is due to height, some of it is due to general muscle mass, some of it is due to age and some of it is due to activity levels)

yes, moderation is key, but your numbers are arbitrary. every person is different. that's why there is not perfect diet either, you find what works best for you, but that doesn't mean its best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I don’t want to lift, because I don’t want muscle mass. And I think training endurance still builds muscle? Also, cardio is too much work for just losing half a meal’s worth of calories.

I used to weigh 95 lbs. Now I’m almost double that. I used to drink tea when I had cravings, but now there’s popcorn, chips and ice cream around. Should I just not eat as much? Is that really all?
    So...You want to lose weight, but you don't want to do any work?

Ugh.

I mean, if you want to starve yourself, have at it. Personally, I lost 80 lbs by changing my diet and exercising a LOT. There are tons of ways to lose weight, but being "skinny fat" isn't going to help you health-wise and you're going to have to eat WAY less if you don't work out. Working out doesn't just burn a small amount of calories - it also can burn calories at a sustained level long after you finish working out. It also might increase your metabolism in the long term. Stop being lazy. People who do things that they find painful and difficult regularly do better in all aspects of life. Also, lololololololol, you're not gonna bulk up accidentally if you lift weights.

Working (along with a proper diet) out quite literally changed my whole body composition. When I was a teen and into my 30s, I was 150lbs and never worked out or watched what I ate. I was about a medium t-shirt and a 33 waist at that time. In my 30s, I played too much WoW and ate like a monster and I ballooned up to 230 lbs. Now, I am 40, I wear a large shirt and have a 31 waist. Having my first six-pack of my life is pretty sweet too. Even the hair on my widows peak started growing back .

Also, a calorie is NOT just a calorie. That was a mistake that I made when I tried to lose weight in the past. Cut way back on carbs and totally cut our refined sugars whenever possible. It sounds awful and it sucks for a few months, but after that, you won't crave the sugary sweets as much. Sugars and carbs convert to glucose fast and the unused glucose will turn to fat. Also, get more protein!

Remember when I said a calorie isn't just a calorie? Protein is a great example of this. It's takes around 40% of the calories consumed as protein just to break down the protein.

My actual calorie count at 150lbs is HIGHER than it was at 230lbs. As I add muscle, it continues to go up.

Put in the work. It's completely worth it. This is coming from someone who wishes he had known this 30 years ago.

Eating in moderation. Cardio work outs. And consistency... keep it up for weeks and months.

It’s not rocket science it’s just hard work to be consistent

Priority one should be to control you calorie intake, Firstly if you don't have one already, buy a set of weighing scales to weigh food portions, this will make it easier to calorie count.

As others have said avoid sugar where possible

secondly set aside about an hour each day to just go for a walk and explore, on average most people will walk about 3 miles in an hour so just plan routes with that in mind

If do you the above you will start to notice the weight coming off within weeks
    Last edited by Myr010; 2020-06-28 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myr010 View Post
    Priority one should be to control you calorie intake, Firstly if you don't have one already, buy a set of weighing scales to weigh food portions, this will make it easier to calorie count.

As others have said avoid sugar where possible

secondly set aside about an hour each day to just go for a walk and explore, on average most people will walk about 3 miles in an hour so just plan routes with that in mind

If do you the above you will start to notice the weight coming off within weeks
    ye i agree that nowadays people underestimate the calories burned by regular walking. so many many people 1 hour long walk in a park a day woudl most liekly give very very good resoults if combined with died that cuts calories.

i found lately new fun way to exercise at home - with those 2 meter diameter / 1 meter long rubbers.

trust me - if you work out with rubbers that have 35-50 kg values its not worse then nice training in gym

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    ye i agree that nowadays people underestimate the calories burned by regular walking. so many many people 1 hour long walk in a park a day woudl most liekly give very very good resoults if combined with died that cuts calories.

i found lately new fun way to exercise at home - with those 2 meter diameter / 1 meter long rubbers.

trust me - if you work out with rubbers that have 35-50 kg values its not worse then nice training in gym
    my hubs has been using them to jury rig various resistance movements by wrapping them to various things at various heights in our basement and its almost bizarre just how many isolation movements you can do with those with a little bit of creativity and an odd handbag handle or two. they are also great to do stretches with resistance (learned THAT one from ballet training vids :P )

personaly I've been getting a lot more into those shorter wider resistance bands - they are kinda amazing for various warm ups and adding oomph to some of the bodyweight exercises.

a brisk one hour walk in a park or whatnot that is about 3 miles is about... 300 calories I think? (give or take, depends on your weight among other things) which is pretty decent for an activity that doesn't really feel like an exercise

My mind is blown by these types of questions, articles, seminars, professional trainers, and so on. Answer is always "eat less, move more". Boom. Simple.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    My mind is blown by these types of questions, articles, seminars, professional trainers, and so on. Answer is always "eat less, move more". Boom. Simple.
    But but, I can't! I tried it before and it's impossible for me to lose weight.

Oh wait, I'm just lazy and cling to excuses to validate my laziness.

Eat less is the shortest and most true answer.

Use a smaller plate. Cut out all processed foods. Cut out all sugars. Use artificial sweeteners. Only drink zero/diet sodas. Avoid fat as much as you can, 1 gram protein/carbs is 4 calories. 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. Eat low calorie dense food, helps with hunger.

Make your own protein ice cream, chocolate bars, puddings and so on, can do endless flavors of what you like, Greg Doucette has amazing recipes on YT along with just overall amazing advice on dieting and training.

Popcorn is a pretty good snack if you make it yourself and avoid the horrible oils that's usually in the microwave and bag versions. Will also cut down on fat but popcorn is great, lots of protein, fibers and carbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Eat less is the shortest and most true answer
    Not really tbh.

Calories In < Calories Out

That's the only true answer, eating less doesn't guarantee that.

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Not really tbh.

Yep.

I'd like to introduce all these holier-than-thou, teetotal Millennials & Gen Zs to a Frozen Daiquiri or two...

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Not really tbh.

For majority of people, it really is that simple, because they're overeating heavily but yeh, it's no guarantee. Then again, show me how many people actually can count calories and is willing to weigh all their foods? Once you start that route, they're overwhelmed and simply doesn't bother at all. Eat less is the shortest and most true answer to losing weight

Burn more calories than you consume. Easy.

Amazing how many fatties cant seem to understand that.

Unless you are starring down the barrel of a whole host of medical issues CICO will work. Problem is that some people just go from mega dump truck amount of calories down to dump truck amount and then complain.